Oath of Allegiance [SP Desert People Campaign for 1.13.5]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ahmannar

Re: Oath of Allegiance [SP Desert People Campaign for 1.13.5

Post by ahmannar »

Making a new post since the last one exceeded the limit of attachments.

Face to Face with the Snake:
Spoiler:

Isanbar:
Spoiler:
The scenario "Beneath the Sands" is impossible to beat. In the first turn, one of the miners attacks the level 2 troll that is on the path and he gets killed, either on his turn or on the troll's turn. If there's the need to pass this level while protecting the dwarf miners, only by controlling them (not having the AI control them) will it be possible to do it.
Attachments
OA-Isanbar_replay.gz
(39.08 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
OA-Face_to_Face_with_the_Snake_replay.gz
(42.65 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Uploaded a quick fix for the scenario that allows you to control the miners
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

I don´t know what happened in the unseen part of the scenario ""Beneath the sands", but i keep getting defeated by some event that happens beyond the fog without being able to even see it, no matter the amount of tries that i make. I'm posting my review of the scenario until the point i have managed to go into.

Beneath the Sands:
Spoiler:
Attachments
OA-Beneath_the_Sands_replay.gz
(51.52 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Ah, alright, seems like a big afariyat slipped through and killed Andurin. I had been able to squash the bug that miners attacked the trolls,thus, the control over the miners is given back to the ai now. I've also changed the position of the first keep, so you can catch up with the miners more easily now and block the paths to the trolls.
The fixed version is up and should be doable now.

I'll return to the other bugs later.

Regarding the few turkish sentences at the beginning: I know that this isn't an ideal solution but it's the best I had been able to come up with yet.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

I´ll try it again with the new version then ;) .

EDIT:
Beneath the Sands:
Spoiler:

The Three Kings:
Spoiler:
Chamber of Ancients:
Spoiler:

The Cloud River:
Spoiler:
Eye of the hurricane:
Spoiler:
Attachments
OA-Eye_of_the_Hurricane_replay.gz
(49.11 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
OA-Cloud_River_replay.gz
(64.15 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
OA-Chamber_of_Ancients_replay.gz
(40.43 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
OA-Three_Kings_replay.gz
(42.07 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
OA-Beneath_the_Sands_replay.gz
(56.46 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Last edited by ahmannar on September 24th, 2016, 4:24 pm, edited 10 times in total.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Kwandulin wrote:Regarding the few turkish sentences at the beginning: I know that this isn't an ideal solution but it's the best I had been able to come up with yet.
Which character sets are you restricted to? There is a unicode set of hexagrams that may be applicable for untranslatable languages, from U+4DC0 to U+4DFF:
䷀䷁䷂䷃䷄䷅䷆䷇䷈䷊䷋䷌䷍䷎䷏䷐䷑䷒䷓䷔䷕䷖䷗䷘䷙䷚䷛䷜䷝䷞䷟䷠䷡䷢䷣䷤䷥䷦䷧䷨䷩䷪䷫䷬䷭䷮䷯䷰䷱䷲䷳䷴䷵䷶䷷䷸䷹䷺䷻䷼䷽䷾䷿
Each one represents a concept.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

I´m making a different post regarding my review, since the point i'm at seems to point out that the amount of gold carried between scenarios is not the cause of the campaign being too easy on hard.
I think that the amount of free units the player gets is one of the main things that is indeed causing this, so i´m gonna give my opinion on how to handle this. Since i have not played the campaign i don't know how the changes will affect its difficulty but it will surely make it harder:

Suggestions:
Spoiler:
Hope this is useful for you.

EDIT:
Th'arwya:
Spoiler:

Blackhands:
Spoiler:
Attachments
OA-Blackhands_replay.gz
(70.3 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
OA-Th'arwya_replay.gz
(52.84 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
Last edited by ahmannar on September 25th, 2016, 12:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Regarding the few turkish sentences at the beginning: I know that this isn't an ideal solution but it's the best I had been able to come up with yet.
Imo, it is perfectly fine for them to speak Turkish. You wrote some dialogue for them after all, having it completely unreadable would be a waste. I would just like to know whether you want to put it into proper Turkish or let it be as a placeholder that no one should bother about. Currently it is just weird for ppl like me, it gives the campaign a much less finished air than it must have to others.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

The suggestions sounds good, especially the one with the minotaurs. I've applied the changes for now, the next update isn't up yet, though.
I think the problem with the Chamber of the Ancients is, that the player is fighting undead, that easily get shredded by Ilriel. For now, I am thinking about removing that scenario, as just finishing the Three Kings isn't a path many players choose and also the Chamber is giving too much XP in comparison to finishing the Three Kings.

In "Six Feet Under", I've changed it so, that the dragon's eye can not be picked up directly anymore, but rather a skeletal dragon spawns once a player's unit steps onto the bones. If the player then kills the dragon, the equipable dragon's eye is spawned.
In "Beneath the Sands", there will be an additional undead leader in the middle of the path, that spawns some mummies that poison and slow and some ghosts. Also, the dwarvish leader won't send his units so far away.

For the next update, I also want to tackle the items in Th'arwya. Do you think that some items are redundant or too powerful? Do you think that the choice of items in Th'arwya determines the outcome of the following scenarios or are most items just "nice to have" and not "need to have"? Do you think there should be more or less items? What's your opinion about the items that are in some case "leveled", e.g. a light spear granting +15% damage and a heavy spear granting +35%? My aim is to make Th'arwya not so loaded, thus replacing those two spears with a single spear that adds a flat bonus and do the same to the other items. Ideas?

On a sidenote, the few "turkish" sentences at the beginning are just some flavour, I don't care too much about them.

The next update will also receive some really tasty stuff. The story screens should be working by then, so the update will come after the next dev release.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Going into more detail about being easy to farm the "Chamber of Ancients", i think that having Ilriel with the Eye of the Dragon, while being powered up by dawoud, makes it almost certain to kill any undead unit. Combining this with putting another unit in front of her after it, it makes trivial to get rid of all of them. Removing the scenario for now seems like a good alternative.

The new additions on the other 2 scenarios seem quite good ;) .

Regarding the items, i'll give my opinion regarding each one of your questions:
Spoiler:
If taptap/anyone else is available to alter those sentences from the first scenarios to better match the turkish language, i think it wouldn't hurt to do it. It wouldn't make a difference to the people that can´t read it, but it's indeed possible that there are more persons in that situation.

EDIT:
Spoiler:

Return to Th'arwya:
Spoiler:

The Great Wall:
Spoiler:

Uzar the Betrayer:
Spoiler:

Above the Stars and below the Earth:
Spoiler:

All Alone:
Spoiler:

Battle of Aeons:
Spoiler:

Final remarks!:
Spoiler:
Attachments
OA-Battle_of_the_Eons_replay.gz
(74.37 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
OA-Above_the_Stars_and_below_Earth_replay.gz
(53.3 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
OA-Uzar_the_Betrayer_replay.gz
(71.42 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
OA-The_Great_Wall_replay.gz
(77.11 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
OA-Return_to_Th'arwya_replay.gz
(84.08 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Last edited by ahmannar on September 26th, 2016, 10:15 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Oh right, a djinn can't be found right now, I'll add one. You can still get Wahdet by moving a non-hero L4 to him.

Regarding the items, I'll go with the second way then, keeping the prices and the bonus stats low
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

There was a minor djinn in UtBS, a small object can be picked up and opened and becomes a dust devil with AMLA advancements.
http://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/mainline/ ... Devil.html
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Thanks for the hints regarding the bugs, I can reproduce them and can probably squash them.
-> There could be an distinction between the battle scenarios and the story-only scenarios when selecting the campaign (from all of them, 17 are battle scenarios and the rest is story/thar'wya);
That's a good idea!
->Are you planning to use the story screens in the next update as way to pass some of the story from the scenarios to them?
There are still some minor plotholes that I'd like to work out a bit with the help of story screens, e.g. why there are woses at Serrul. The woses even say that after the fight they are willing to tell their story, which doesn't happen then, though.
->After taking one AMLA, the altawir starts leveling up normally after reaching the max exp. Don´t know if it's intended, so i'm just stating it;
Yes, that's intended.

Thanks again for your effort! It seems like the dev release got postponed, so the next update for OoA will also take some more time then.

tr0ll wrote:There was a minor djinn in UtBS, a small object can be picked up and opened and becomes a dust devil with AMLA advancements.
http://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/mainline/ ... Devil.html
The campaign already has a djinn, it just can't be found within a scenario, currently
zepko

Post by zepko »

In scenario Battle of the Eons, I suggest that you increase the distance between the player's army and the Three Kings. Or, at least, be sure that the three Kings do not pick the 'quick' trait, otherwise it is too easy to kill them. In my play, one of them was 'quick', and two could reach one of my units at turn 1, so two of them were killed during the first turn. If, by chance, also the other had picked the 'quick' trait, the scenario would have ended at turn 3, without the need to face the whole army (see the attached replay, I know I have not played well this scenario but I wanted to finish it quickly).

Possible bugs/strange things/random thoughts:
- The campaign is well written and designed, and I enjoyed playing it, despite my lack of thrill for the Khalifate units.
- I played on medium, but I found it definitely easy. The only scenario I found tricky was 'Beneath the sands', where I got the defeat message without seeing what was happening. One of the miners went ahead and got killed. If not the control of the miners, it would be good to have at least the vision of what the miners see.
- An Altawir did not fully heal after an AMLA (see the same attached replay).
- The moving animation of a Saray with the Lixandryl sword is a bit strange, as the unit disappears and reappears, but the halo remains visible and moves around the map.
- In 'A whisper in the sand' one of the units I found in the central village could not move in the turn it turned to my side.
- In 'A whisper in the sand', when acquiring the new units, it would be good to have the vision extended to what they see. This maybe can be achieved with a [redraw][/redraw] tag, but I'm not really sure.
- In 'Drought' an Arif has name starting without capital letter.
- In 'Peril' the fact that elves go to capture my villages near the starting keep makes things easier as they get delayed and do not arrive all together.
- In 'Three Kings' I suggest that killing the enemy leader does not end the scenario but instead the player still has the option to enter the bonus scenario.
- The bonus scenario is really easy, I could defeat all enemies without any problem.
- I think the hero units should all be loyal.
- In 'Cloud river' Iskandar has no XP carried from the previous scenario.
- In 'Th'arwya' is there a -2 income? This is solved by capturing villages, but I think you should set the income to 0 (I think this depends on the non loyal heroes).
- The sprite of Ilriel (advanced level) does not fit the square in the sidebar. She appears without head.
- In 'The great wall' it is a bit annoying that some of my troops are brought back to the starting point when Ridwan arrives.
- In 'The great wall' the cetral part of the scenario is a bit boring, just moving units without enemies around.
- In 'Uzar the betrayer' the objectives note "You can recruit from the tiles next to the entrance" is wrong.
- Knockback has some strange behavior. It is not clear what happens when a unit is hit with knockback but there is an unwalkable terrain behind.
- The hero units are overpowered. Dawoud in the final scenarios could attack with 37x3, two attacks, with marksman (when supported by leadership and Ilriel).
- There are way too many loyal units. In one of the later scenarios I had a very big army which required almost no upkeep.

Good work!!
Attachments
OA-Battle_of_the_Eons_replay.gz
(71.19 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Thanks for the notes! I think I can fix most of them (the arif starting without a capital letter is some engine generated flaw, though). I'm glad you found the issue with the income in Th'arwya and the non-loyal heroes, which is very helpful.
Dawoud being so strong is because he is a level 1 unit, thus gaining +100% damage from the wyvern siegebreaker and another +33% from Ilriel. I'll set his level to 3 and the bonus damage gained from to +20%.

Also your replay was very nice, as it's always interesting to see the unit composition of other players. Thanks again!