Oath of Allegiance [SP Desert People Campaign for 1.13.5]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Oath of Allegiance 0.5 [SP Khalifate Campaign for 1.13.0]

Post by Kwandulin »

I've published Oath of Allegiance 0.5 on the 1.13.x servers. Since I use several commands that were newly introduced by the 1.13.x series, I can't publish it on the 1.12.x servers without risking several bugs.

Changes:
  • worked out the details of the last scenarios, added some 'surprising' events (e.g. the end of the scenario Ruins of Kthar) and varied the scenario goals (e.g. stopping a group of mercenaries)
  • the scenario Depths of Isanbar is now more than just a riddle-scenario: if you manage to solve the riddles, you get a tasty bonus for Ilriel; if you fail to solve the riddles, yet are able to bring about Khazran's downfall, you are granted a tasty bonus for Dawoud.
  • added villages to the scenario The Three Kings, so the player doesn't necessarily start with the minimum starting gold in the next scenario
  • huge changes to the last scenario The Siege of Kesh
  • underlined the importance of Nuvdael by granting him a unique hero unit type
  • filled in the plot holes and revised the dialogues
  • revised the AMLAs of Ilriel and Dawoud and changed Ilriel's appearance to match her spellpower
  • Added a third advancement for Iskandar, which will be important for the last scenario
  • fixed most of the unit descriptions
  • added the Hurasch and fixed the attack specials of the wyvern rider
Thanks for your feedback, it helped me a lot to make reasonable changes. A lot has been done, yet there are still some things I'd like to work on in the future. Other than that I hope you enjoy the campaign!

PS: some teasers:
Robbi373

Re: Oath of Allegiance 0.4 [SP Khalifate Campaign for 1.12.0

Post by Robbi373 »

Hi there,

I just wanted to voice my appreciation for your work here ^_^
You have made a very interesting campaign, actually, I haven't even finished it. (3rd or 4th scenario, pretty hard for me on middle difficulty)
Just one question: Kesh? Did you get that name for a desert city from somewhere? *cough* Midkemia *cough*
I've finished the last book of R. Feist's series yesterday, and that reminded me of it. :lol:
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

I got the name from the geography of the southern lands as depicted in the wiki. But I don't know who made it up and what may have influenced him.

Thanks for playing; I hope you enjoy the rest of the campaign!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

bug: no early finish bonus for the first (fighting) scenario
gooby

Post by gooby »

Is the text in the beginning Turkish? What does it mean?
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

gooby wrote:Is the text in the beginning Turkish? What does it mean?
Yeah, at least it aims to be turkish, but I guess it's a very rudimentary Turkish that probably contains several errors. I know that the current solution isn't the best solution at all, but I don't want to lose the "foreignness" character of the desert men.

Summarising the dialogue, Ibn Khazul gives thanks to Dawoud for leading them to the forest and for finding "the woman with the golden eyes" (which obiously is Ilriel). They say that they can't avert the downfall of Serrul if they can't get Irliel to work with them and heal the (cursed) khalid of Serrul. They want to take her by force, but then she comes out of the forest, which surprises the desert guys quite a bit. Ibn Khazul then orders his hakim, who is able to speak the elvish language, to open negotiations and he is ordered to threaten them. And finally they take her.

In the beginning of the second scenario, they wonder why the elves didn't fight and they assume that the forests are very important to the elves and that the elves wouldn't like anybody to defile their forests. Ibn Khazul then says that they now have a bit more time to return to Serrul, but then a falcon appears which brings a letter that says that Serrul is under attack, so they decide that Ibn Khazul and his riders return to Serrul as fast as possible to repel the first onslaught of the aggressors from Kesh and that Dawoud follows with Ilriel. But after Ibn Khazul and his riders leave, some bandits linger after some easy prey, a battle takes place and the story takes its course. . .
Whiskeyjack

Re: Oath of Allegiance 0.4 [SP Khalifate Campaign for 1.12]

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Hey Kwandulin, I really like your campaigns, they are a lot of fun to play.

Here are my notes on OoA 0.4.2 (mostly writing stuff, ranges from grammer/spelling mistakes to suggestions for better wording):
General notes:
Scenario 2: Drought:
Scenario 3: Peril:
Scenario 4: Wisper in the Sandsand most following scenarios:
Scenario 5: The Pearl of the Desert:
Scenario 6: Face to Face with the Snake:
Scenario 7: Isanbar:
Scenario 8: The Dephts:
Scenario 9: Three Kings:
Scenario 11: Siegebreakers:
Scenario 12: The Siege of Kesh:
Edit: Sorry, I just realized that the version on 1.12 is outdated which means that most of the above is useless now (including line numbers and everything concerning the last scenario). Hopefully some of that is still valid anyway and will be usefull for you. :(
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Thanks for your effort! It was very helpful indeed! I've applied your changes.
Is it intended that one can´t move onto the hexes with boxes/barrels/other objects on them? (In the last scenario there is a ?trading cart? which can be moved upon, but that is the only working one I remember)
The trading cart should depict a small weaponry. In the Pearl of the Desert there is one, too. Try visiting it with Uthain.
Yeah, the boxes and barrels have an unwalkable overlay and they are used by the trading post guards to form a barricade (at least that is what I am trying to show).
Nuvdael suddenly has italic text!? Did he learn the Desert Tongue too?
In the newest version he learns it in the depths of Isanbar
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Oath of Allegiance 0.7 [SP Khalifate Campaign for 1.13.x

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi,

Got some errors in the version currently on the BfW 1.12 server (campaign menu splash screen doesn't have a version number)

error display: could not open image 'units/khalifateuyanmak.png'
error display: could not open image 'units/khalifate\uyanmak_bob_1.png'
and some similar errors for that unit. It made the Kalifate leader invisible.

A second, minor issue is that the elf king in the intro has a distorted image in the side status panel. You can fix that by defining an image_icon in the unit file; a similar thing has been done with the mainline level 3 horsemen.

(I'm using BfW 1.12.4 on Linux)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Fixed and uploaded the new versions on both 1.12 and 1.13. Thanks for the hint!
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Hey Kwandulin,

thanks for your work on this campaign, it´s become quite cool and I like the changes you made to scenarios like Siegebreakers, the new version is better by far! I still had fun playing the campaign despite knowing most of it.

Here is my feedback for 0.7.1 on 1.12 as usual some comments on gameplay/mechanics (some things don´t work, perhaps because the code only works for 1.13!?), but mostly spelling corrections and wording suggestions :)

Campaign menu:
Scenario 1: From afar:
Scenario 2: Drought:
Scenario 3: Peril:
Scenario 4: Whisper in the Sands:
Scenario 5: The Pearl of the Desert:
Scenario 6: Face to Face with the Snake:
Scenario 8: The Dephts:
Scenario 9: Three Kings:
Scenario 10: Ruins of Kthar:
Scenario 11: Sandthorn Pass:
Scenario 12: The Siege of Kesh:
Scenario 13: Returning the Sphere:
Most of this actually sat for almost a month in my documents, but I just now found the time to finish the campaign. I hope the feedback helps (especially the few gameplay/bug reports).
Spoiler:
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Hey Whiskeyjack!

Sorry for the late reply, time passes quickly these days. I'd like to respond to some points you mentioned.
Whiskeyjack wrote:I did not have the chance to choose a difficulty, is this intentional?
Yes, this is intentional. Maintaining and setting up different difficulties is a not-so-fun-thing about creating a campaign. Instead, I am trying to implement some sort of 'liquid difficulty' over the course of the next smaller updates, i.e. optional sidequests (e.g. killing the saurian seer in the Sandthorn Hills) that can be completed with only a few losses if the player feels like he is well-off. The player may aswell just ignore those additional sidequests if he already faces problems.
Whiskeyjack wrote:I love the unit explanations on first recruitment.
They are the english unit descriptions of the main game, so all the credit goes to the language-guys.
Whiskeyjack wrote:Ilriels transformation still doesn´t work (lines 718ff) [...]
Also, if the transformation does not include more movement points: An AMLA to get Ilriel at least to 6 would be nice (or perhaps even as default, as she is a hero unit).
Since Dawoud is level 2 the leadership AMLA on him is almost useless.
The Bow Mastery AMLA on Nuvdael only specifies +2 damage, but also increases the number of attacks by 2 (extremely powerful for 1 point, almost useless if only the one damage increases once. Perhaps split it to 2 times and give 1 damage and attack each?)
Fixed these. Thanks for the hint. Dawoud now got an 'inspire' ability, that pushes the damage output of any nearby friendly unit by +25%
Whiskeyjack wrote:Timeline: So the Athvari were founded 500 years ago, but lost their most important artifact 400 years ago, which only now starts to truly procure problems. Seems strange to me. Did you perhaps include a zero too much for the time of losing the Sphere as told in The Depths of Isanbar? 40 years would make a lot more sense…
Yeah, that is pretty odd. I changed it accordingly. I also fixed the buggy Sandthorn Hills scenario and rest of the mentioned points.

I've uploaded the new version Oath of Allegiance v.0.8.0 on the add-on server of 1.12/1.13.

I can't stress enough how much you've helped me to improve the campaign, especially regarding the wording and the gameplay! Thanks a ton!
Daniel17022002

Post by Daniel17022002 »

Got a little problem .I started playing this campaign on 1.13. (PS: I am a total fan of add-ons) . I think it was one of the best campaigns existing if not in top 3 or even better! I finally understand the Khalifate now. you don't know how much trouble I had with that race! thanks a ton! problem : I think the campaign I downloaded wasn't the final version even if I was on 1.13.4 ... something is different at the graphics of Ilriel than on the last pic. u showed some comments before. Mine is just.... more in a moving pose or something....
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Daniel17022002 wrote:I think the campaign I downloaded wasn't the final version even if I was on 1.13.4 ... something is different at the graphics of Ilriel than on the last pic. u showed some comments before. Mine is just.... more in a moving pose or something....
If you downloaded v0.8.0, it is the correct one. The graphics of Ilriel have changed from v0.7.0 -> v0.8.0, though, that's right.

Glad you like it!
michchar

Re: Oath of Allegiance 0.8 [SP Khalifate Campaign for 1.13.x

Post by michchar »

Don't know if it's something on my end, but the inspire ability doesn't seem to work for me. Other than that, loving the campaign so far!