Oath of Allegiance [SP Desert People Campaign for 1.13.5]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Re: Oath of Allegiance 0.9 [SP Khalifate Campaign for 1.13.5

Post by Kwandulin »

I've uploaded a patch that'll fix it. You can also fix the issue yourself if you change in units/genie.cfg the line #29 "advances_to=genie_Kabir" to "advances_to=Genie_Kabir".

I will take care of the rest of the proposed changes at the end of the upcoming week
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Sorry to be bothering you again with the same subject, but even with the patch it didn´t fixed the problem. I checked the file and the patched changed that line of code but the same error still appears
Maybe the it only works if i get to a save before having him?
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Yeah, I guess the prior false advance_to got saved into some internals, so you have to reload again or download the fixed campaign and load the save with the new campaign
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Well even after doing that, clearing the cache and only having the last save, it gives the same problem. Nevermind, i´m gonna just not fight with him xD
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

btw, feel free to take anything out of my version of the khalifate should anything there be of use to you.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

After the biggest marathon i have ever made on BfW, i arrived on the last level to be brutally murdered and realize that it´s probably not winnable with my units and equipment. I´m gonna use this opportunity to replay the campaign on hard with the knowledge gained of the units and the different mechanics along the campaign.

Anyway, here it is some thoughts about the last levels of the campaign:
Spoiler:
I´m gonna take much more time to give detailed feedback on each scenario when i replay this on hard, must sleep normally again xD Until then, good luck in here :)
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Spoiler:
Once again, thanks for your feedback! I'll consider the rest of your post that I didn't quote for the next update.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Seeing as i wanted to help you some more on the campaign, here are some notes on the writing part of it that i took from reading the files( the part after the symbol -> is the correction that i would suggest):

Random remarks
Spoiler:
Scenario 1:From afar
Spoiler:
Scenario 2:Drought
Spoiler:
Scenario 3:Peril
Spoiler:
Scenario 5:Six Feet Under
Spoiler:
Scenario 6:The Pearl of the Desert
Spoiler:
Scenario 7:Face to Face with the Snake
Spoiler:
Scenario 8:Isanbar
Spoiler:
Hopefully some of my text suggestions can be useful to you. I will try to have the rest of the files revised before the next patch.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

ahmannar wrote:Maybe a introduction screen in the style of IfTU and AtS, talking about the difference in style of this campaign when compared to mainline ones, could be useful so the player was aware of this right at the beginning?
Right, I'll give a quick hint at the beginning.
ahmannar wrote:Apparently there should appear a description of a unit when he clicks/recruits it for the first time. That doesn´t happen;
That just happens in the {EASY} difficulty and is meant for the beginners. I might extend the hints to the {NORMAL} difficutly, as the khalifa are probably unknown to a part of the player base. Not so sure about that, though.
ahmannar wrote:Scenario 1 supposedly mentions the year 674 YW as the one taking place during this scenario, but Scenario 8 mentions that the sphere was created on 693 YW and even talks about it as being included in old legends. Am i reading this in a wrong way?
Indeed I missed the first one. Dawoud gets to the Southwoods in 696YW (see below) and the part about the legends will get replaced by "prophecies" then.

Here's the outline of the story and the background that I used as a template for the dates in the campaign (for anyone that is interested; contains heavy spoilers):
Spoiler:

Thanks a lot for your effort, I appreciate it very much. That's exactly the kind of things that desperately needs improvement.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

I´m glad to hear that my contribution is being useful, a great campaign as this one deserves all the help it can get :)

Unfortunately my pc bugged when i was more than halfway with the rest of the revisions. Neverthless, i'll try to write what i can before i call this day over.

Random remarks
Spoiler:
Scenario 9:Beneath the sands
Spoiler:
Scenario 10:Three Kings
Spoiler:

Scenario 10b: Chamber of Ancients
Spoiler:
Scenario 11:Cloud River
Spoiler:

Scenario 12:Eye of the hurricane
Spoiler:
Scenario 13:Tharwya
Spoiler:

Scenario 13a: Sandthorn Pass
Spoiler:
Scenario 13b: Harbour of Tharwya
Spoiler:
Scenario 14: The Great Wall
Spoiler:
Scenario 15:A Heavy price
Spoiler:

Scenario 16: Ceremony of Old
Spoiler:

Scenario 17: The sphere
Spoiler:

Scenario 18: Above the Stars and Below the Earth
Spoiler:

Scenario 19: All Alone
Spoiler:

Scenario 20: Battle of Aeons
Spoiler:

Scenario 21: Timeless
Spoiler:

Scenario 22: Epilogue
Spoiler:

I had more things planned to talk about but i'll have to leave that to another day because of my little happy incident. I hope this continues to be useful to you. I'm eager to replay the campaign with the new update ;)
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Thanks again! I've applied your fixes and changed the story pieces you've mentioned.
ahmannar wrote:It seemed to me like the source of the power of the sphere and the reason it caused such havoc on the land was because of the Three kings that were imprisoned there, however it seems that them being dead didn´t change its powers nor danger. Does the sphere absorb the magic of the users, being that the reason why it doesn´t need the Three kings to remain a threat to the world?
The sphere has magical power that presents itself by being an astral prison but the sphere itself is not the biggest threat, it's the wizards and kings of the continent that might wrest it from the Athvari once again and abuse the sphere to get rid of unwanted antagonists. As the Athvari can't protect it for all eternity, they aim to destroy it eventually. Also, its powers can be conjured as showcased in the battle of the eons by Dawoud. So there sphere indeed is just a giant magical instrument and tool that is either a great fortune or misfortune depending on the ones using it.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

That makes sense, thanks for clarifying this part of the story. Seeing as yesterday i couldn´t finish my "testament", here it is:

Even more random remarks!
Spoiler:
AMLA's
Spoiler:
I think that, until the next update, i don´t really have anything more to point out. Will expect for it to replay the campaign in hard and give detailed feedback on each scenario ;) .
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

ahmannar wrote:I think that the icon that appears in the add-on manager is the same as the old one (at least, the protagonists don´t look like that anymore), i may be wrong in this one but it doesn´t feel like it has been updated;
The updated icon is just in the campaign section. It is not possible to upload custom icons. One can use recolors, cut and merges to create a new icon from the existing mainline images, but there is no sane way to get the icon that is displayed in the campaign section to the add-on manager.
ahmannar wrote:I don´t remember seeing the images from the folder "story" in the game. Is this folder not used for now?
Unfortunately, in 1.13.5 the story screens are broken. The first story image doesn't get shown and I am just using one story screen inbetween the scenarios, so yeah it is there but it doesn't show. I think this is already fixed in 1.13.5+dev, though.
ahmannar wrote:In a similar vein, are units such as the afariyat and the mummy not used in this version? They seem interesting after reading their files;
Right, the mummy isn't used at all and the afariyat is only used in Th'arwya when the vizier of Kesh arrives. I just finished working on a remake of the underground scenario with the dwarves that'll make use of the afariyaten now. Also, I'll add the mummy to the Cloud River.
ahmannar wrote:By reading the description, it seems that "teleport strike" moves uthain to a certain hex? Is this near the enemy unit, a random location or does it teleport the enemy unit to another place? Either of these options seem like an AMLA that isn't on the same level as the other 2 as it's use may be harmful in certain situations. Maybe giving this AMLA something else, like in the case of wahdet with "way of the fist", would make it more appealing? This could also be problematic in balancing, i never went with any of those 2 AMLA in fact, but the one of uthain seems lackluster;
The teleport strike ports Uthain behind the enemy that he attacks, it can be used to quickly clear bottlenecks. Also one might give Uthain the eye of the dragon and gain another attack. In this case, the teleport strike isn't that dangerous anymore.
ahmannar wrote:The "lance of serrul" AMLA was the one i took on ibnkhazul and was the only one that i really ended up regretting. The base damage of the spear is already good at the start and the increase of damage gained with it was not as high as i predicted, mainly because there were only like 3 combat scenarios after getting it (not counting the fight against the three kings inside the sphere).
It's a pain to balance this sort of stuff. Gaining +2 per kill would certainly be over the top. Other than that, I am trying to weaken the effect of most of the AMLAs anyway (Nuvdael with his blade dancing skill gets totally insane, as well as Azyan with his rapid fire), so the current status of the lance of serrul might just be perfectly fitting then.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Ddidn´t even remember the 2 afariyat that appeared in Th'arwya, my memory betrayed me on that.
You are right that AMLA's such as that one were among the best and made others look not so good in comparison. However, the variety of AMLA's leads to a good replay value of the campaign and they are definitively fun to experiment with, i think it's worth the effort having them.
Regarding those particular AMLA's, here are some suggestions to possibly weaken them;

Nuvdael: Blade dancing
Spoiler:
Azyan: Rapid fire
Spoiler:

If you have more AMLA's that you are trying to work on and want some more ideas, i could try to come up with something else for them also.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

My goal is to
1. make the AMLAs less complex
2. make the AMLAs weaker
3. get AMLAs, that reflect the personality/backstory/appearance of the characters.

Your first suggestion for Nuvdael sounds the best. I'll give Nuvdael a natural skirmish ability and then his bladedancing ability grants him just another attack once he kills an enemy unit, so he can kill 5 units max per turn (and even that is unlikely) and not move around like crazy.

I've added a melee attack to Azyan (the animation will be a reference to the djinn he houses in his body) so gaining another attack per turn wouldn't fit his style now, as additional attacks can't be limited to a specific attack. So I am aiming here for just adding 2 additional strikes for his bow, making him have a 10-5 ranged attack.

Also, Ridwan is now a commander unit due to his importance (he will get an interesting relationship to the Athvari in the next update). Any thoughts for abilities that would suit him? I am thinking about him giving him a double strike attack, so just granting him another attack per turn and a leadership ability as he is the great khalid of Serrul. I'm not sure about the third AMLA. I am thinking about a reference to the people he lost at Serrul. Any ideas?