Oath of Allegiance [SP Desert People Campaign for 1.13.5]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Oath of Allegiance [SP Desert People Campaign for 1.13.5

Post by Paulomat4 »

excuse me for being a little brief in my last post. I've just finished the second part that you have uploaded.

-As mentioned the altangshe doesn't have any amla (not even the +3hp standard one)

-at the beginning the old liches are very very strong compared to your units and thus quite some luck is needed to beat them. I'd recommend using "only" liches as leaders in the first scenarios, until the scenario "the whisperer" (where beating the liches is a bonus objective only anyway) . Maybe keep the old lich in the first scenario as well since you're not supposed to beat him. Old liches only started being less of a problem when you get tons of lvl 3 & 4 athvari and even then they're quite risky to attack at night. Which is always the time of day on most of the maps .

-same goes for the apparitions-lich-bosses

- Are you sure that the thralls resistances are right? If you want them this way you'll need a story explanation since being weak to arcane is a main point of all undeads and it confuses the player if they aren't.

- where did the loyal elder athvari (lvl 3) in my recall list come from? I don't have him in "new serrul" but i can recall him in "spider forest". Maybe I missed something?

- I'm generally missing a lot of dialogue explaining things. I guess this is because of the early stage of the campaign, so no worries :)

- the "athvari flames" weapon special of Iskandar increases his damage only when beating lvl 2 units. Shouldn't it also increase it when beating units of lvl 3,4,5... ? Also here some story explanation would be nice.

- Iskandar becomes chaotic after beeing transformed in "the whisperer". Shouldn't he also get the race undead?

- Marianne doesn't recruit anything in "spider forest". Which is quite funny since she excuses for that she did :lol:

- I found it a bit annoying that Ilriel lost all her advancements with the new campaign. I guess the same would go for iskandar and ibn kazul. Maybe you could do that thanks to global variables? I think james_the_invisible managed this in "for power". This could also balance out the old liches, so you wouldn't have to change them.

That's all that comes to my mind right now. :D
I'm eager to see more!
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
James_The_Invisible

Post by James_The_Invisible »

Paulomat4 wrote:I found it a bit annoying that Ilriel lost all her advancements with the new campaign. I guess the same would go for iskandar and ibn kazul. Maybe you could do that thanks to global variables? I think james_the_invisible managed this in "for power".
Yes, For Power has this feature but it was Dugi who has written the code for it :).
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

The ""knockback" special weapon from the masun line is no longer working when the targeted unit should be able to be knocked back.
Also, i´ll eventually give sugestions for the death dialogues of the heroes and the other defeat conditions if you´re interested in those.

EDIT:
On the scenario "Six Feet Under", after i get the skeletal dragon to around 120 hp on turn 4, at the start of turn 5 he gets a full heal and goes to his max hp. Is this intended?
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Sorry for being late, studies take up my time these days.
Paulomat4 wrote:Are you sure that the thralls resistances are right? If you want them this way you'll need a story explanation since being weak to arcane is a main point of all undeads and it confuses the player if they aren't.
Yeah, the thralls are supposed to be that way, otherwise the recruitable Athvari would be able to overpower any enemy
Paulomat4 wrote:Where did the loyal elder athvari (lvl 3) in my recall list come from? I don't have him in "new serrul" but i can recall him in "spider forest". Maybe I missed something?
I guess you're talking about Elenbar? He joins you at the end of scenario 4 after defeating the apparitions. He is just talking one line at the moment, so you might have overseen him.
Paulomat4 wrote:The "athvari flames" weapon special of Iskandar increases his damage only when beating lvl 2 units. Shouldn't it also increase it when beating units of lvl 3,4,5... ? Also here some story explanation would be nice.
It actually works for l3,4,5, I just forgot to update the description

[quote?"Paulomat4"]Iskandar becomes chaotic after beeing transformed in "the whisperer". Shouldn't he also get the race undead?
[/quote]
Yup, thanks for pointing that out!
Paulomat4 wrote:I found it a bit annoying that Ilriel lost all her advancements with the new campaign. I guess the same would go for iskandar and ibn kazul. Maybe you could do that thanks to global variables?
Leaving two options (1) making it able to take over your heroes to part 2 and (2) allowing to start the second part without playing the first part makes it too hard to balance it, especially if you got a fed Iskandar or Khazul. Also there are 3 years between the two parts and that might be a reason to just let them start anew.
ahmannar wrote:The ""knockback" special weapon from the masun line is no longer working when the targeted unit should be able to be knocked back.
I changed the knockback special sometime ago and it applies only on-hit now and the unit doesn't get pushed back when there's a another unit, a chasm or wall behind the knockbacked unit. I just tested it and it seems to work. Were there any special circumstances in your case?
ahmannar wrote:On the scenario "Six Feet Under", after i get the skeletal dragon to around 120 hp on turn 4, at the start of turn 5 he gets a full heal and goes to his max hp. Is this intended?
That's not intended, I also can't reproduce it, though
ahmannar wrote:Also, i´ll eventually give sugestions for the death dialogues of the heroes and the other defeat conditions if you´re interested in those.
In case you're still interested in doing these, that would be nice! I'll then make sure to find some time to implement them
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

I´m also a little bit tied up right now but i will probably have some free time on the end of this month to come up with suggestions for the dialogues.

Regarding the knockback i thought it was odd because the masun attack connected with an enemy on open terrain (all hexs near him were available) and he didn´t went away. I also tested it in similar conditions with the loyal wyvern guy and his knocback worked fine. I´ll try to replay the "Six feet under" scenario to see if the bug from that level was just a one time thing.

EDIT: It happens between the end of the 5th turn from the duneworms and the beginning of my 6th turn. Passed the level anyway but had to take some extra beating in order to kill him.
Also, my brain just froze. I meant to say that, with the masun and his advancement, the enemies are knocked back but they aren´t slowed. For some reason i got myself confused back then, my bad :oops:
I also noticed right now that the enemies that get knocked back by the wyverns aren´t poisoned when the attack is successful.

After killing khazran on "Isanbar" the scenario ends immediatly without having to move the heroes to the entrance of the mine (which, by the way, isn´t on the map anymore). The bow for Nuvdael is still in there but is inaccessible if the scenario ends after killing Khazran.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

ahmannar wrote:EDIT: It happens between the end of the 5th turn from the duneworms and the beginning of my 6th turn. Passed the level anyway but had to take some extra beating in order to kill him.
Also, my brain just froze. I meant to say that, with the masun and his advancement, the enemies are knocked back but they aren´t slowed. For some reason i got myself confused back then, my bad :oops:
I also noticed right now that the enemies that get knocked back by the wyverns aren´t poisoned when the attack is successful.

After killing khazran on "Isanbar" the scenario ends immediatly without having to move the heroes to the entrance of the mine (which, by the way, isn´t on the map anymore). The bow for Nuvdael is still in there but is inaccessible if the scenario ends after killing Khazran.
Mhh, everything is working fine here regarding the knockback. Isanbar ending after killing Khazran is intended
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Should there be some way to get the bow of Nuvdael in that case? I couldn´t figure out how to get it in this version of the campaign.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Oh right, it's outside of walkable tiles. Then it isn't obtainable
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Yeah, the thralls are supposed to be that way, otherwise the recruitable Athvari would be able to overpower any enemy
you definitely need a story explanaation then. Maybe something about them being similar to ghouls, to explain there arcane resistance?
It actually works for l3,4,5, I just forgot to update the description
I tried it with a lvl 3 highway man and it didn't work :shock:
Leaving two options (1) making it able to take over your heroes to part 2 and (2) allowing to start the second part without playing the first part makes it too hard to balance it, especially if you got a fed Iskandar or Khazul. Also there are 3 years between the two parts and that might be a reason to just let them start anew.
I see the problem. But retaking the same advancement pathes feels so boring. I guess we don't have a chance that you turn them into different unit types? :mrgreen:
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Must've changed that then some time ago
Paulomat4 wrote:I see the problem. But retaking the same advancement pathes feels so boring. I guess we don't have a chance that you turn them into different unit types? :mrgreen:
Yeah, that is unlikely to happen :P
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

There´s something wrong with the scenario "Return to Tharwya". Every ally turn takes a good amount of minutes (like 4 or 5) for them to even start to make a move, after 1 of their units does it their turn goes on normally. However, when i got to turn 19, the game crashed after spending more time than usual in this state of inaction. I tried replaying it and eventually it will happen without fail.
Don´t know what might be causing this and it´s the first time i see this on the campaign.

EDIT:

Since i´ve posted already, i´ll write some thoughts regarding the levels from "Isanbar" until this point :

-> Since the "new" undead also appear in the first part of the campaign and nuvdael already says that the scene from "the cloud river" gives him a sense of deja vu, maybe someone could comment on their differences when attacking them?
->Iskandar begins "The cloud river" without movement points;
->The note regarding the altawir in "The cloud river" no longer applies since he doesn´t have special AMLA;
->It´s stated that there´s carryover gold in this scenario, but it doesn´t make any difference for the next scenario;
->Some of the undead that are summoned on "The cloud river" go get a small amount of villages, which doesn´t affect the players since he won´t use that gold. It wouldn´t make any difference probably since they are always spawning but there´s no harm in stating it;
->Could it be a good idea to update the number of enemies that can still be killed in "Eye of the hurricane" so that the player is always aware of how many more he can kill? Don´t know if it would be hard to do this;
->Having an Alqasir makes "Eye of the hurricane" much simpler since he can fly over every obstacle. The scenario doesn´t get easier with this, but i would say that it gets simpler;
->Although it states that there´s no carryover gold from "Eye of the hurricane" to "Tharwya", it seems like there is some because i started "Tharwya" with 337 gold (which seems a odd number of starting gold);
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Thanks for the notes! The problem in "Return to Tharwya" is something that I've also encountered in other campaigns, so I don't think that's something specific
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

This specific problem i don´t think i have come upon before. I´ll post in here the exact error message that pops up before it crashes, it might help with regards to knowing the cause of it (by the way it begins to happen when the ally can move his units, it doesn´t happen until the enemy units spawn):

"Assertion failed!

Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.13.6\wesnoth.exe
File: src\attack_prediction.ccp, Line 1469

Expression: std::abs(std::accumulate(target.begin(),target.end(), 0.0) -1.0) <0.001 "
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Small update v.1.13 (Part I)
  • in the Cloud River, Nuvdael talks about the Thralls when they are attacked for the first time
  • Iskandar starts at the Cloud River will full MP
  • fixed Altawir note at the Cloud River
  • the bow can now be picked up again at Isanbar
  • in the Eye of the Hurricane, Iskandar now always says how many enemies have already been killed
  • the Altangshe now has the default amla
  • the knockback is now applied via an 'attack end' event (apparently, using an 'attacker hits' event doesn't work with the poison or slow weapon special), units are now knocked back after any attack (hit or no hit)
  • in the Cloud River, the undead now ignore villages
  • carryovergold from 'Eye of the Hurricane' -> Th'arwya is now 20% (+ notes)
  • carryovergold from 'Cloud River' -> Eye of the Hurricane is now 40% (+ notes)
ahmannar wrote:Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.13.6\wesnoth.exe
File: src\attack_prediction.ccp, Line 1469

Expression: std::abs(std::accumulate(target.begin(),target.end(), 0.0) -1.0) <0.001 "
The strange thing is, that this attack prediciton stuff shouldn't take place at all (?) because there is no available enemy at that point. I can't deal with that bug though, so I hope it just goes away.
EDIT: Ah, I didn't read carefully
Last edited by Kwandulin on December 29th, 2016, 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

I tried that level again after updating the campaign, but it still crashes the game. It might be happening because it´s an older save, so i´ll eventually play the campaign from the beginning and see if it still happens when doing that.