Oath of Allegiance [SP Desert People Campaign for 1.13.5]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Re: Oath of Allegiance [SP Desert People Campaign for 1.13.5

Post by Kwandulin »

General -> Is Au'la supposed to be poisonable (asking this from a lore view point)?
No, she isn't intended to be poisonable. Will fix
General -> Sometimes, when attacking with the knockback attack of Dawoud on open terrain on offense and no other units around the enemy, they didn´t get knocked back;
Was this by any chance a Masun or Maeqil? Units with the steadfast ability can't get knockbacked, but it isn't listed in the ability description (yet). Or was this a unit that stood on a village? Those don't get knockbacked, too.
Whisper in the Sands ->Although the objectives state that the allied guards can leave their fortification if oredered, i din´t see a way to do this;
Oh, this applies after you've spoken to the general and the guards join your side. Might need some textual adjustments there.
General -> I think the nuvdael rider AMLA is not working as intended. After taking it and not having bloodlust yet, he's able to attack 2 times per turn and move after those attacks. That AMLA should only let him attack 1 tiem and mvoe after that right? After having both the bloodlust and rider AMLA, he can attack a total of 3 times per turn.
Seems like you had the whirlwind AMLA and then the rider AMLA. Then he is able to attack 2 times per turn and move after those attack. I can't reproduce Nuvdael being able to attack 3 times per turn after having the bloodlust and rider AMLA. When just having the rider+bloodlust AMLA, he only gains another attack if he kills another unit. If he doesn't kill a unit, he just has 1 attack.
If he has the whirlwind ability, he can attack twice per turn. Everything looks fine here.
Whisper in the Sands -> The message about scarabs upon sighting them appears after one of them appears out of the fog, not when they are triggered by the player, so some of them have been killed when this message appears. Is this intended?
Right, that's wrong. I'll change the text a bit

Also Azyan not getting his feathered snake is due to the genie/djinn id changes. Blargh. Will be fixed in the next update. I've also noticed that the campaign gets very slow after Th'arwya. Might be due to having so many special units with drain/slow/berserk/several attacks per turn/etc. But then again, one has many special units even before arriving in Th'arwya and it's not slow before. I'll have a closer look there.

Thanks for the notes!
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Good news! I've fixed the performance regression in the later scenarios. This was due to the use of [tunnel], which the AI doesn't seem to like and resulted in the AI taking really long. Everything is quick and fast now, as it should be.

1.15.1 is uploaded. Enjoy! (I will fix the rest of ahmannar's suggestions later, I did change Azyan not getting his Tangshe and Uthain's buggy animations now).

Edit
Updated to OoA v1.16
  • Au'la is now unpoisonable
  • Uthain+Petz'def anim no longer switches back to Uthain's def anim
  • Fixed hero unit descriptions in Drought and Peril
  • Changed knockback ability description to match its actual behaviour
  • fixed Au'la and Ibn Khazul start with less XP needed
  • Idol of the Sphere no longer grants +1hp/+1dmg, instead it now grants +2hp per kill
  • cant reproduce yercronae needing more xp than sandmare/immortal (all need 250xp)
  • added unit descriptions to Thrall, Iron Thrall, Black Thrall, Athvari Counselor (thanks to ahmannar)
  • added death message to Au'la's death
  • fixed " or defeat all enemies"not showing in Peril
  • improved dialogue when Scarab Beetles are first seen
  • fixed "Gaze of the Three" ending dialogue, so that it mentions the flight of Yrialdhe
  • in "Gaze of the Three" Au'la*s message about being able to unpetrify the soldiers is now at turn 2
  • changed treasure position in "Gaze of the Three"
  • Sharaf is now talking about Altawir being able to ride Tangshes
  • Azyan can now equip bows and arrows at Th'arwya
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Kwandulin wrote:Good news! I've fixed the performance regression in the later scenarios. This was due to the use of [tunnel], which the AI doesn't seem to like and resulted in the AI taking really long.
Just as a (largely academic) addendum: I looked into the cause of this and it turns out that it has nothing to do with the AI or tunnels per se. It turns out that the evaluation of Standard Location Filters including [not] tags can be slow on large maps even if they also contain x,y= keys. So it's the [not] tag you have in one of the tunnel definitions that causes the problem.

"Slow" is relative here and it does not affect most applications as the single evaluation is still plenty fast and it's only the fact that the AI needs to do a lot of pathfinding that causes the slowdown here. We will nevertheless look into improving this as much as possible.
demos13

Post by demos13 »

i have been unable to summon,see,use,dawould at all.played to scenario 5 without being sure he was suppose to be available...after the initial dialoge in scenario 1 i got a lua error..."

<lua error> lua/wml/animate_unit:94: bad argument =-2 to add (string expected.got userdata)
stack traceback:
{c}:in method 'add'
lua/wml/animate_unit:94: in upvalue 'add_animation'
lua/wml/animate_unit:112: in local 'cmd'
lua/wml-utils.lua145: in field handle_event_commands'
lua/wml-flow.lua:6: in function <lua/wml-flow.lua5>
not sure if this was the cause or what it means but i suspect it be the culprit,anyway i hope you will fix it as i was really enjoying the premise of this campaign.
i was not using debug although i did use it after realizing i had to have dawould in scenario 5,in another run thru speeding through to try and get him available or see if i had made a mistake
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Seems like you played on 1.13.7. OoA doesn't quite work there.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Seems like OoA has gotten a helluva lot bigger and grander than the last time i played it. I get the feeling its time for a replay. I read most of the update changelogs since my last playthrough and the changes have been gargantuan. But i gotta ask - Are you done with polishing the campaign or do u have more updates planned ? Should i play it now or wait further? I'd prefer playing the finished product.. something the author is satisfied with .. so i'm awaiting your answer
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Most of the recent changes have been cosmetic ones or fixes to bugs that appear under certain conditions. Also my to-do list is empty except doing a new portrait for Uzar and Yrialdhe. Other than that, I did not plan any further updates
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Sorry for taking this long to reply to your question.
Was this by any chance a Masun or Maeqil? Units with the steadfast ability can't get knockbacked, but it isn't listed in the ability description (yet). Or was this a unit that stood on a village? Those don't get knockbacked, too.
it was indeed, i never noticed this happen before but i also play the game with the maximum speed enabled, so there's that.

Meanwhile i did a complete cleanup of my pc and didn't remembered to have a backup of the savefiles from where i was last time. I'll eventually replay the campaign in order to test the last 6 scenarios that i didn't had the chance to play at that time.
As always, thanks for your extensive work on this campaign ;) .
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Ahmannar, i have just one question for you.

How many times did u play this campaign ? :augh:
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

How many times did u play this campaign ? :augh:
Lost count of them at this point, it's a really good one in my book and kwandulin is quite active in it's development so i try to give something back for all of his efforts :) .
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hmm... I looked for this on the wesnoth add-on server but was unable to download it? :hmm: Has it been removed?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Given the Khalifate renaming thread in Ideas at the moment, I figured I'd ask again: Has this campaign been removed? It doesn't seem to be on the 1.13 add-ons server at the moment.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Yeah, it was removed.

I am currently preparing my add-ons for BfW 1.14, though. There were some recent changes in 1.13.10, that broke my stuff, making it unplayable under certain conditions and I need some time to fix it
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Is it still playable on 1.12? I would love to see the backstory you developed as it ties in to the current discussion.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Mhh, no, I am using a lot of the 1.13.x stuff already.

Here are the scenario.cfgs, in case you want to read through the storyline:
Attachments
OoA-scenarios.zip
(120.19 KiB) Downloaded 514 times