The Stone of the North [Feedback and development]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: The Stone of the North [Feedback and development]

Post by Konrad2 »

scenario 1 is in the two harder difficulties not possible to win. Not as in "to many enemies" but as in "impossible". In the hardest difficulty, two turns before the earliest supply cart can arrive, i lose because i am out of supply. Same for the the second hardest difficulty, except, that there is only one turn left until the cart arrives.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hello again,
I tested it quickly on Mayhem, just in case.
This might actually depend on the random scattering of the units at the beginning, so let's just use the heroes, their position is always fixed to certain tiles. On this difficulty, your beginning gold is 580, and your income varies between -80 and -90, depending on how many units you have. This leaves you with at least 6 full turns.
Getting with Tresser to village at 15,1 takes 2 turns.
Getting the received Echo Cart/Caravan back to Storehouse at 14,6 is 2 turns.
This gets you enough gold to lead back all carts from near your fort.
I suggest you try again ;) If you can't make it, you always receive the option to skip the stronghold mode, or you can try on an easier difficulty.

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

what has tresser to do with the resources?
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

I guess I know what you got wrong...you didn't read the description of the specifications at the beginning.
The carts received at the large towns is not the only one you've got.
You receive caravans/supplies for capturing villages. You can lead those too back, and receive gold. Try what I just told you earlier - see that it will work. The ones received at the beginning in the large towns only supply more gold, that's the only difference.
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I am sorry for the inconvience my foolish behavior caused you and humbly thank you for the explanation :)
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

I'm here to help and explain :D
Krolan

Post by Krolan »

WhiteWolf wrote:...actually I could start writing in German now...
Just now noticed that statement...

Du sprichst jetzt also deutsch? Yay :D
Kann ich meine Bug-Reports jetzt also auch in deutsch verfassen?
Wäre mit Sicherheit auch eine gute Methode dich zu verbessern ;D

Anyway, I wasn't around for a while - new job, new people, long shifts - Now I'm all set and have some time to play Wesnoth again
It's amazing how time-consuming this game can be. See you around :)
I do GPE(Genuine Playing Experience), Screenshot-reinforced and detailed Bug-Reports for Campaigns. If you want me to check yours, be it Pre-Alpha, Alpha, Beta or finished, let me know. Since I don't know anything about coding, I'll be unable to tell you why something bad happens though. PM me.
giliet

Re: The Blind Sentinel - [Feedback and development topic]

Post by giliet »

Played "Stones of Death" and after killing Mal-Talar received error "a terrain with a string with more than 4 characters has been found, the affected terrain is :Vh^tson. When reporting the bug please include the following error message:
Condition 'str.size() <= 4' failed at src\terrain_translatetion.cpp:733 in function 'string_to_layer'". Captured picture attached

Then I tried to kill him with sharpshooter from dirt tile instead of castle and it went OK.
Attachments
Error1.jpg
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hey,

I think you meant to post this into The Stone of the North topic ;)
Anyway, thank you for the detailed report, the bug has been fixed, and a new version has been updated. For detailed release notes, see that topic.

For the comments on the bug, see spoiler.
Spoiler:
I see that for the second time you made it, and finished the campaign. Hope you liked it ;)

Thanks, best regards,
WhiteWolf
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hey,

I know it's been a while, and many stuff has happenned since the 1.2.3 update. I meant more to happen, but a bug has been reported, and it urged an earlier update.

1.2.4 - Release Notes:
- fixed minor graphical bugs
- corpse animations for Trade Carts
- minor changes to the Stronghold map, mainly embellishments, but a few affect gameplay! (easier movements allowed on a few tiles)
- major change to the Stronghold scenario: now peasant and woodsman advancement enabled for gold!
- balanced out stronghold map on Mayhem
- buffed Calm Knight to be a bit more competent, and created attack and defend animations for him
- made Tressers 'finish-message' more Wesnoth-proof
- fixed rare but crash-bug on map23
- fixed few typos

That's it for now,
Best regards,
WhiteWolf
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

WhiteWolf wrote:Hey,

I think you meant to post this into The Stone of the North topic ;)
Moved to the appropriate thread for continuity.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi all,

Uploaded 1.2.5
Release Notes:
- Repositioned the journey map with East for bigger resolution
- fixed an earlier rare gamecrash bug (it seems the first fix did not work)

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Can you give any hints on how to pass the haunted forest? Entered this scenario with 233 gold, used all of it to recall 2 bandits, 1 high xp thug, 2 swordsman, 1 primate and some more monks and other soldiers(also have the loyal zombie). Even if i sacrifice all of my units just to pass this level i can´t even do it like that. Playing in the easiest difficulty.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi,

I know, I received many complaints on it being too difficult. I somehow managed to win it by recruiting only monks a very little melee infantry some time ago. It was a nightmare however, so I'm considering making that scenario easier by removing at least the 30% of the graveyards, and eliminating the bats on easier difficulties. I'll probably do it in a few days (yes, I should have done it earlier).

If you really can't manage it, on this map, no harm will came if you use debug to skip it.

EDIT: Wait a minute, you're supposed to receive mages after every village you capture. It used to work, now it doesn't. This might be an incompatibility bug. Give me a little time, gotta check this out.

EDIT 2:
OK, so basically the map is too hard, because you are short of at least 6-7 mages, thanks to this bug :whistle: Sorry. Fixed the bug, but now that I'm on it, I'll also make a few alterations, as I have ideas on how to make that map better. I'll post when the new version is updated.

Regards,
WhiteWolf
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi again,

Uploaded 1.4.6 with a full fix and redesign for the map.
Release notes:
- Fixed, rebalanced, and parially redesigned the Haunted Forest map
- includes new unit: Hermit
- New optional objective criteria and reward (now even shown)
- New map design, changes influence gameplay
- Upgraded the map's tutorial
- Nerfed Skeleton Ghost slightly
- Nerfed Primate slightly
- Fixed female monk's (Nun's) portraits

If you wish to replay the map however, you'll have to reload the scenario (or even better, reload the last turn of the previous map and win it quickly), auto-turn-saves won't work.

Best regards, thanks for the patience,
WhiteWolf