War of the Jewel: SP Campaign, 1.11+ (Feedback & Reviews)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revansurik

Re: War of the Jewel: SP Campaign, 1.11+ (Feedback & Reviews

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote:I am having trouble telling what some of the upgrades do. Merwe had one where she could draw strength from the sunlight and moonlight but I didn't see that she gained anything. So I went with the other one where she both better melee. Did I miss something?
The ability you're talking about is Uranometria, which gives her some power increase during night-time - but not during the Stormy Sky schedule. If I recall it correctly, it doesn't give her a massive increase in power, but at the very least it nullifies the power decrease she would normally have as a lawful unit ;-)
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

Ok thanks.
regnak

Post by regnak »

Finished Foundation Stone, enjoying the storyline, the dialog with Varash was quite amusing when he finally asked for help! :lol:
regnak

Post by regnak »

Just finished Crimson Ice Part 1, nice scenario and again humorous dialog at the beginning of part 2!
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote:Just finished Crimson Ice Part 1, nice scenario and again humorous dialog at the beginning of part 2!
I wanted to give WotJ a more light-hearted tone after the heavier ASoF, I'm glad that it worked ^_^

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

Ok finished Crimson Ice part 2. The
Spoiler:
I guess the end of part 1 is coming up?
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote:Ok finished Crimson Ice part 2. The
Spoiler:
Was Nyx close to the main keep when the cave crumbled? I did warn the player to get units far from that spot, though...
You're near the end; following Crimson Ice, the key battles of the war will be fought, though there will be a new, unexpected (?) enemy soon enough... ;-)

;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

revansurik wrote:
regnak wrote:Ok finished Crimson Ice part 2. The
Spoiler:
Was Nyx close to the main keep when the cave crumbled? I did warn the player to get units far from that spot, though...
You're near the end; following Crimson Ice, the key battles of the war will be fought, though there will be a new, unexpected (?) enemy soon enough... ;-)

She was about 4-5 hexes outside the keep which was further than some of the other troops were able to get so I didn't see the need to move her.
regnak

Post by regnak »

How long do I have to hold out in Dark Eclipse? By turn 10 Terawin is about 2 turns away from dying and I doubt I can save him. My allies allowed two transports to land on T7 while they played with the Souless and his position has been rapidly crumbling since then.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote:How long do I have to hold out in Dark Eclipse? By turn 10 Terawin is about 2 turns away from dying and I doubt I can save him. My allies allowed two transports to land on T7 while they played with the Souless and his position has been rapidly crumbling since then.
On turn 15 you get a reinforcement, but you should be able to defeat much of the enemy force before that. Don't Akhen and Mahyus have Supreme Spells by this height? They should be able to wreak havoc amongst enemy lines, as should Atenak and Sadjet.
You should also take your heroes to Maat'Kare as soon as possible. I don't know how your army currently is, but General Telos (side 7) should not pose much of a problem for experienced Maat'Karian and elemental units backed by seasoned Atenak, Akhen, Merwe, Mahyus, Nyx and Sigdral; once at the city, recruit from there and help defend it from its walls and villages. Also, you may want to send some unit to help defend the Academy. And have you seen that Mahyus becomes able to recruit undead from certain point on?
The reinforcement comes in the form of a very powerful unit which should unbalance the fight in your favour - though this unit is not immortal, so be careful with it ;-)

;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

Mahyus has the spell but even though it says ranged the enemy does retaliate with melee unit so he has to spend time healing after using it. Aken just advanced and had a choice between forest protection and improve aquamarine arts. I cannot see the unit profiles for the unique hero units but I didn't see an ultimate spell. Maybe it scrolled off the bottom of the screen.

I was trying to do what the dialog said and defeat the two generals on land so I was heading south after killing the general.

I have no units to send to the Academy. My fast units are going to try and save what his name. I cannot recruit undead, I have no gold. I am at -95 and -23/turn. The bad guys are the ones getting more gold after they run out.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote:Mahyus has the spell but even though it says ranged the enemy does retaliate with melee unit so he has to spend time healing after using it. Aken just advanced and had a choice between forest protection and improve aquamarine arts. I cannot see the unit profiles for the unique hero units but I didn't see an ultimate spell. Maybe it scrolled off the bottom of the screen.

I was trying to do what the dialog said and defeat the two generals on land so I was heading south after killing the general.

I have no units to send to the Academy. My fast units are going to try and save what his name. I cannot recruit undead, I have no gold. I am at -95 and -23/turn. The bad guys are the ones getting more gold after they run out.
Mahyus attacks with Nefthys Hepet and the enemy retaliates with melee attack? That's impossible, unless the game itself is seriously bugged... Akhen gets the Supreme Spell by improving the Arts he's chosen (in your case, Aquamarine Arts); he gets it after 3 'improve aquamarine arts' advancements, if I remember it correctly.
As for the undead, only Mahyus can recruit them, a message appears warning the player of his new recruiting power. That happens on turn 9.
If you have no unit to help the Academy, I suppose it's ok for a while, Atseger and the 3 mages can defend themselves well - specially since Atseger has the Petrify ability.
See, until turn 15 the scenario is about defending against enemy waves. I might add a gold increase for that turn in the next version, but for now you only gain that powerful unit.
Another hint: don't forget that any unit killed by Nefthys Hepet becomes a Soulless; by using this ability you can turn side 7 units into a sizeable group of fairly good cannonfodder ;-)

;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

It happened with multiple pikemen.

By the time he is allowed to recruit undead the human enemies are dead already. I am going to just cheat my way through this. It's too long to do over.

It would be better to control the Academy instead of Shemkare. That way the player could pin the transports until they could be sunk and not let a horde of reinforcements arrive.

Editing to add, I get one unit and they get 5 or 6 more shiploads? That's unbalanced in my favor???
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote:It happened with multiple pikemen.

By the time he is allowed to recruit undead the human enemies are dead already. I am going to just cheat my way through this. It's too long to do over.

It would be better to control the Academy instead of Shemkare. That way the player could pin the transports until they could be sunk and not let a horde of reinforcements arrive.

Editing to add, I get one unit and they get 5 or 6 more shiploads? That's unbalanced in my favor???
Still, ghosts can do some huge damage to skeletons, specially archers, and specially if you couple them with Atenak's Inspire, and are easy to advance; I didn't let the player control the Academy because having Atseger, a teleporter with a Petrify attack, would make the fight just too easy.
And the unit you get can easily dispatch the entire crew of a ship single-handedly (Sedjet Netjer - explosive special and Geb Neshny - whirlwind special for the undead, same attacks plus Nefthys Hepet for living sailors).
Forgot to say, ghosts are pretty good to destroy Skironian ships, since these are very vulnerable to arcane attacks and have no melee attack. A trio of ghosts can sink a ships with some ease, and in the end you'll probably have one wraith and two ghosts nearly levelling up ;-)

;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

I just reloaded the gz file to check my memory. It says no gold carried over to next scenario. That says recruit and recall until your gold runs out and I did just that. Also I let my ally keep his villages since he needed them more than I did. The result was negative gold. So in order to recruit undead I have to do more cheating. I already had to give multiple units extra movement to save what his name from death. And this is playing on easy.

Also those **** ships move way too fast. They should be slower than water elementals not faster. That way you would have a chance to defeat the land enemies before the ships land like the dialog tells you to do.