Dawn of Thunder [SP campaign for 1.16.x]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mirror1

Re: The Rising 0.1.3 [SP campaign for 1.11.10 and later]

Post by mirror1 »

Hi Paulomat, I happened to enter this thread and realised that I played this beautifully made campaign of yours before. It was quite a while ago but I still remember the exciting feelings from the first scenarios to the battle defending the elf castle in the forest. The battles are very well designed and balanced at tough level. Hopefully the band keep making a glorious journey together till the end of story :D Gracias.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

While you are making edits, another for scenario 1:

"That was a though battle." though > tough
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

No problem, I just reached scenario 10. And I probably broke something, or it doesn't work properly:
The dwarves arrive, then the undeads show up, and the next turn, I don't know why, there's a troll in my team, somewhere I never went.
(as the above poster mentioned, scenario 10 doesn't work).
Could one of you guys send me a start of scenario save file of scenario 10?
As i said, I was travelling and I lost my saves because they were on another computer.
Hey, this is the beginning of a really excellent campaign. I love the cool new elvish units and the unique heroes.
Thank you very much!
Some small errors in the dialogue:
corrected most of them except
fulfil [fulfill]
Actually fulfil is British english and fullfill is american english. Maybe I should decide for one of them. Does anybody know if there is a wesnoth standard?
There are several scenarios where the objectives state there is an early finish bonus, but the bonus is not given. They are: 3 Enemies of old, 5 Lake Aelin, 7 Deep Forest, and 8 Grand Meeting.
Scenario 9 states that there is an early finish (but there is no turn limit) and a 40% carryover, but the actual carryover is 80%.
The additional objective of "survive the night" seems unnecessary.
You're right, corrected
This scenario is very easy; you only have a few weak undead come at you at a time. It's also a bit repetitive, as each wave is pretty much the same. Perhaps there could be less waves, but more units / higher level units in each wave.
I found it challenging enough on medium, only later waves were easier. :hmm: What do you think about making wave 3,4,5 and 6 harder? :
More flat terrain would be nice. There's so much cave terrain which costs 3 movement for most elves, making it tedious to move units 2 hexes at a time usually.
Also, since there's no turn limit it's possible to get infinite xp / gold (if you use lots of loyals) but it's not a big issue, since I don't think most people would bother to exploit this.
Added more cavepath terrain and turn limit 99.
The time limit is preliminary, please tell me on which turn you finished that scenario guys :)
Hi Paulomat, I happened to enter this thread and realised that I played this beautifully made campaign of yours before. It was quite a while ago but I still remember the exciting feelings from the first scenarios to the battle defending the elf castle in the forest. The battles are very well designed and balanced at tough level. Hopefully the band keep making a glorious journey together till the end of story :D Gracias.
Thank you very much! De nada!
While you are making edits, another for scenario 1:
corrected as well.

Thank you very much for all these comments guys. :)
I'll upload a corrected version as soon as I fix scenario 10
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

Here's a save for the 10th scenario.
Attachments
Subterranean_Crossfire.gz
(32.76 KiB) Downloaded 684 times
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

I attached my Scenario 10 save. It's from Wesnoth v. 1.12.0 though, so not sure if it will work with the latest version.
The issue is the troll leader gets added to your side on the second turn.
Also, maybe you could clarify how to dig, it wasn't obvious to me that you had to right click on the wall you wanted to dig through.
Typo in scenario 10: Maester pointy-ears, please excuse my father, sometimes he get's a little ... strange ...

Scenario 3: I think it would add a nice challenge to this scenario to make the later waves harder. But if you make it much harder, maybe consider not spawning any units in the northeast, to give the player the option to run to the signpost if it gets too difficult.

fulfil spelling: Ah, I didn't know that. I think Wesnoth uses both American and British spellings.

Scenario 9: I finished on turn 51, but I really took my time since there wasn't a turn limit and could easily have finished earlier.
Attachments
Subterranean_Crossfire.gz
Scenario 10 start save (Wesnoth 1.12.0)
(32.37 KiB) Downloaded 604 times
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Here's a save for the 10th scenario.
I attached my Scenario 10 save.
Thank you, I fixed and tested it.
Also, maybe you could clarify how to dig, it wasn't obvious to me that you had to right click on the wall you wanted to dig through.
Scenario 3: I think it would add a nice challenge to this scenario to make the later waves harder. But if you make it much harder, maybe consider not spawning any units in the northeast, to give the player the option to run to the signpost if it gets too difficult.
Both are now on my todo list for the next version.
fulfil spelling: Ah, I didn't know that. I think Wesnoth uses both American and British spellings.
Maybe I should focus on one of them, then? I think I'll go with british english, as it's the one that my spell check uses.
Scenario 9: I finished on turn 51, but I really took my time since there wasn't a turn limit and could easily have finished earlier.
I uploaded version 0.1.3b to the server,
changelog for 0.1.3b (and 0.1.3a for completeness):

Code: Select all

0.1.3b
bugfix: scenario 10 should now work as intended
text corrections in multiple scenarios
bugfix:early finishing bonuses and gold carryover
appropriate objectives for scenario 2
scenario 9: added more flat terrain and set a turn limit

0.1.3a
-bugfix:Harendoions soulless gets an appropriate portrait
-bugfix:Corrected a variable name in scenario 3 that corrupted savefiles

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Dawn of Thunder 0.1.4 [SP campaign for 1.11.10 and later]

Post by Paulomat4 »

you thought this is dead, didn't you?
forumnecromancer.png
forumnecromancer.png (47.36 KiB) Viewed 8478 times
The Rising is back with version 1.4!
actually it is called Dawn of Thunder now...

Yeah, after half a year or more of inactivity i got motivation to work on this again. :)

So what are the most important things that have changed?

-First of all I decided to rename it. "The Rising" sounds so generic
because "Dawn of Thunder" sounds much less generic, sure...

-Secondly, scenario n° 11 got added. It is unfortunately a pure talking scenario so I'm not sure if that is any useful for you players :hmm:

the full list of changes is here:

-Renamed!
-added animations to the elvish glavier (Big thanks to ForestDragon from the Forum who made them without being asked. :D You're awesome man!)
-New animations and sprites for the Wose shaman and the rogue mage line
-Minor text corrections
-added a message explaining the miners in scenario 10
-scenario 11 done!
-rework of the introductions (maybe one day I'll be satisfied)
-there are now obstacles on the rails
-Made M'Brin stronger in scenario 10
-Campaign now has the same Icon on server as in the campaign menu
Last but not least i'd like to speak to whoever might have refrained from commenting because of my long inactivity: Don't! I read the forum everyday!

Greetings,

Paulomat4

RainerT

Re: Dawn of Thunder 0.1.4 [SP campaign for 1.11.10 and later

Post by RainerT »

Hi,

Good to see that the campaign is going on. I have some comments for the Subterran Crossfire scenario:

- The number of turns should be limited. Otherwise it is quite easy to get endless money once you killed the Troll leader. Somthing between 30 and 40 turns might be a good idea on normal.

- The two loyal dwarfs you get in the scenario should have a second trait like all the other loyal units.

- If you kill M'Brin in this scenario he is just gone. He should have some famous last words. :D

Another general thing. At third level Naia gets the AMLA option to increase physical resistance by 25%. This is too high in my eyes. 15% like Fiannon gets for his magical resistance is a more appropriate value.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hi!
The number of turns should be limited. Otherwise it is quite easy to get endless money once you killed the Troll leader. Somthing between 30 and 40 turns might be a good idea on normal
Good catch, seems like I forgot about that. Will be fixed in the next version.
- The two loyal dwarfs you get in the scenario should have a second trait like all the other loyal units.
done
- If you kill M'Brin in this scenario he is just gone. He should have some famous last words. :D
Gave him some (more or less) last words.
At third level Naia gets the AMLA option to increase physical resistance by 25%. This is too high in my eyes. 15% like Fiannon gets for his magical resistance is a more appropriate value
Good catch, fixed!

Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hey guys,

version 0.1.5 has just been uploaded to the server!

The most notable changes are:
[quote=Inky]Scenario 3: I think it would add a nice challenge to this scenario to make the later waves harder.[/quote]
-this has finally been realized, sorry it took me so long :oops: I hope it hasn't gotten too hard.

-Scenario 12 is finally out. I had a few problems in coding a feature, that's why it took me so long to code. I've decided to release the scenario eve if I didn't complete this feature, it will (hopefully) be included in the next version. Scenario 12 also misses quite a bit of flavor dialogue but should be fully playable.

Get ready to fight in a completely different environment! But stay careful! The local fauna can be quite dangerous ;)

-Scenario 2 has been reworked and now features a complete new map and slightly different gameplay. That's a thing that I have been planning to do for quite some time and now I finally got around to doing this. Since the gameplay changes quite a bit I would be happy about balancing comments.
Defend a real graveyard in the new scenario 2
Defend a real graveyard in the new scenario 2
Changelog:

-New map for scenario 2
-Later waves in scenario 3(after turn 22) now have a higher chance to spawn higher lvl enemies
-minor fixes for scenario 10
-scenario 12 (halfly) done!
-animations for the elvish Glavier (again thanks to forestdragon!)
-Bugfixes mentioned by RainerT

ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

I think the 3rd scenario is broken. Im on the 18th turn and the waves only spawn one level 0 zombie at each turn. Having played this campaign some time ago, i don´t think this was supposed to happen.

EDIT:it´s definitively broken, just ended the level and that "bug" persisted until the end and ended with a carryover of 500 gold for the next scenario, which will probably make the rest of the campaign too much easy
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Okay, thanks for the notice. I will investigate as soon as I have time for it.

cockatrice_hunter

Post by cockatrice_hunter »

Can confirm that Scenario 3 spawns only level 0 zombies near bottom left corner of map (with exception of wave 2, which spawns that elvish ghost dude).

P.S. this is not meant to necrobump, or rush you, merely confirming that the behaviour seen by Ahmannar is reproduceable
Thanks
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Dawn of Thunder [SP campaign for 1.11.10 and later]

Post by Paulomat4 »

Can confirm that Scenario 3 spawns only level 0 zombies near bottom left corner of map (with exception of wave 2, which spawns that elvish ghost dude).
Thank you for reminding me! :)

version 0.1.6.a has just been uploaded to the add-on server. nothing much has been changed but scenario 3 is fixed.

changelog:

-bugfix of the scenario 3 events (introduced in 0.1.5)
-fixed shadows on some sprites
-added transparency to M'brin's portrait
I think the 3rd scenario is broken. Im on the 18th turn and the waves only spawn one level 0 zombie at each turn. Having played this campaign some time ago, i don´t think this was supposed to happen.
I'm sorry for taking this long to fix this

EDIT: Dawn of Thunder has also been uploaded to the 1.13 add-on server! Go get it now!

Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Dawn of Thunder [SP campaign for 1.13.6 and later]

Post by Paulomat4 »

Dawn of Thunder version 0.1.7 has just been uploaded to the 1.13.6 add-on server!

Dawn of thunder has finally changed it's ID, so hopefully There no more remnant of it's old generic name :) This led to some confusion from my part, so I had to take down the add-on and reupload it. To the 30 people who already had it downloaded: Sry for any inconvenience I might have caused :)

I did a lot of polishing the last few month, and have added two new scenarios, thus bringing an end to chapter 2. You can finally meet the exciting Northguards, a brutal but proud race from the highest peaks of the Heart Mountains!

here's the full changelog:

-from scenario 7 on Naia is capable of recruiting peasants, providing a way to use the main loyalist units (if you really want)
-text corrections in scenario 1,2,3 and 4
-code improvements for readability and shortness
-changed ID and folder pathes to the new name
-naia's animations which were sometimes male have been fixed
-Portrait of dark wose "Oenoch" has been fixed
-the undead in scenario 10 are now allied, which should make it a tad harder
-the black portraits at the start of scenario 6 are now realised through image-path-functions instead of beeing different images (effectively reducing memory)
-Scenario 9 has been polished and a few events have been added
-scenario 13 & 14 have been added!
-made sure a lot of variables are cleared when they're not needed anymore
-finally realised the freezing events in scenario 12
-Bossfight intros!