The Blind Sentinel - [Feedback and development topic]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Re: The Blind Sentinel - [Feedback and development topic]

Post by WhiteWolf »

MrNevino:
And it really does. :doh: I must have mixed it up somehow and haven't realised it yet. It will be switched with the next version.
I'm going to look into the dwarvish arcanister. :)

santi:
I'm fully aware that a campaign must be playtested, but thanks for remindig me :lol: I plainly meant to express that I cannot beat default wesnoth campaigns on harder difficulties, therefore my attempts on trying to balance out harder difficulties might contain failures like the one you are having trouble with.
Duly noted, with the next version I'm going to lower the number of ships in the enemy fleet.
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Whitewolf, please don't take this as a critisism. I think both this campaign and Stone of the North which I actually played first are very very good. And, playing at the hardest level I also found the haunted Forest very challenging, which means
one needs to find the right strategy and implement it efficiently. Also my difficulties in this scenario might indicate I did something wrong in previous scenaria, with Tip of the North the best candidate. So I should go back and redo that, see if i can beat it with fewer units and hence start with more gold.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

OK, see what you can do by retrying that one. Still, it's out of debate that the enemy fleet is too strong, even on easier difficulties. I'll probably try to rebalance that scenario with the next version anyway :)

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

I replayed tip of the north and pirates. It turns out the key was not a more efficient handling of tip of the north, but escaping the pirates with no losses. So I arrived at Prestog with 10 ships and 400 gold, which meant I could recruit another 6. The bulk of the Prestog fleet was way west and the only real engagement occured when I attacked the southern base. After that the rest of the enemy fleet came back and I had choice of engaging, which would mean heavy losses as almost all my ships were damaged, or running with Savatage which is what I did figuring out I would need the ships later. Not sure that was the intention though , as effectively Savatage escaped and the rest of my fleet was cut off.Then in Tirgaz I noticed that my ships were not healed, BUT when I saved the game and restarted the next day they did heal. So even of hardest difficulty your campaign is ok thus far...
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

This healing bug has been spotted before, but I don't really know why it happens. Originally the intention was not to heal carryover-ships, I mean, story-wise why would they? Gameplay-wise however full heal would be fair.
Currently no healing is in order, carryover is solved by storing and unstoring.
Yet sometimes, the ships heal, sometimes they don't, and if you scroll back some posts you'll see that worse have occurred, without any code to make it so.

Now that you mention it, I think a full heal for side 1 might work it around, and then the healing-question will also be decided for good. :)
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Storywise healing makes sense too since once they have escaped Tirgaz and the crew is no longer busy fighting, they can perhaps repair holes and masts etc.

Another note: In the Glamdrol scenario,unit type Nothern_Logspearman does not exist. As a result the opponent recruits practically nothing and the scenario is a walkover...
Attachments
glamdrol.png
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

You may have a point there. OK, full heal for all ships will be available on all ship maps.

It's a typo on that difficulty, sorry. :(
I'm planning an update soon, it'll be fixed with it. Thanks for keeping reporting :)
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Uploaded 1.4.11 with a couple of minor changes:
Release notes:
zkmTst

Post by zkmTst »

Hi, i'm trying to start playing this campaign but it doesn't work, it doesn't work at all. i installed it recently (ver 1.4.11) on both my PC running windows and a laptop with linux, i also have tried different versions of Westnoth with no luck.

After downloading the campaign, i proceed to launch it on Hard difficulty and it crashes in the middle of the loading screen, the error i got its:
Spoiler:
After that the campaign disappears from the menu until i restart the game.
Choosing Normal difficulty yields a different error:
Spoiler:
Thanks for your work, i hope to play this campaign soon.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hey,

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for reporting.
Fixed and uploaded 1.4.12, update and it should run well now :)

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
zkmTst

Post by zkmTst »

And.... Done, played the entire campaign, worked flawlessly this time and i got to say its a very good story, i will play the next one to see how the legend progresses and i hope to play more scenarios on the future, after i finished "Legend of the Invincibles" i have been looking for something like this.

Again, thanks for your work.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Glad to hear you liked it :)
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

After 'The Sack of Prestum' ,onwards in 'On Northern Roads'.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Best Regards,
DukeSwampy.
Last edited by Major_Swampy on July 19th, 2019, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

DukeSwampy wrote: July 14th, 2019, 12:21 pm
Spoiler:
I think this is because the code only checks a units race for the appropriate sound effect. These are meant for ships, which are mechanical, but catapults are also mechanical. But yeah, this is hilarious. :D

I won't update the 1.12 campaign (unless there's something completely game-braking), but you are welcome to list issues here - I'll sort them, and fix them when porting this to 1.14 :)
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

WhiteWolf wrote: July 14th, 2019, 12:49 pm ...you are welcome to list issues here - I'll sort them, and fix them when porting this to 1.14 :)
Certainly, when promoting unit to 'Banner Carrier', it becomes issue: Invalid WML found (I think) as become leadership lvl2 from abilities.

After 'On Northern Roads', Vormund, Loivissa and Gildred has arrived on 'The Old Wall' by me. Two scenarios en route to Barag-Gor.

Best Regards,
DukeSwampy.
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)