No Randomness Mod Released

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

optimother

Re: No Randomness Mod Released

Post by optimother »

Dugi wrote: Think of this case. A monster deals 1 damage with 10 attacks. It attacks a fencer standing on a village (70% defence), dealing 0 damage with each hit, 0 in total. However, if it was rounded up, it would deal 1 damage with each hit, dealing 10 damage in total. The fencer should take in average 3 damage. Now, what is better? Neither of the cases, we can't implement healths and damages with a floating point and some luck dependence goes against the principle.

I didn't have the idea to have a mod like this, so I am not the one who is to decide how will this be solved. I created this because I figured out how to make an easy-to-use mod like this.
Why do you think my attempt http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=40729 doesn't solve it? 10 attacks x 1dmg against 70% results in perfect 3 dmg.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Why do you think my attempt viewtopic.php?f=12&t=40729 doesn't solve it? 10 attacks x 1dmg against 70% results in perfect 3 dmg.
I was watching that topic while it was active. I don't think that it's a bad idea, but it's too much a different approach. You're free to modify this mod in that way, but I will not make such large changes to the whole approach. I created this because some people wanted it, not because I wanted to make the game perfect or something.
optimother

Post by optimother »

Dugi wrote:I was watching that topic while it was active. I don't think that it's a bad idea, but it's too much a different approach.
It's different only to solve issues with poisoning, slowing, rounding and preserving original balance. The topic is inactive because I don't know what to improve further, it seems already perfect for me :)
swangdoodles

Post by swangdoodles »

Well.. Then I would say; don't round-up the damage. Because that would make some units to powerful.

And for the few weird monsters that have a 1 damage attack with 10 strikes... No Randomness Mod can be turned off, and then just let luck decide how many strikes will hit or not.
LordVandor

Post by LordVandor »

This is cool :)
I think randomness (luck) is a part of life too,but still,watching footmen repeatedly miss eachother and suddenly die...
At least 15% more probability would have been good,so when you should have 80% hit,you have 95 and it still can be seen as "an accurate hit with a little chance of missing".

But this is not the place to discuss that,I'd like to say that I like this mod a lot,I can finally play campaigns without spending an hour a day pressing a button to go back a turn! I'd like to see how it works :) Could you perhaps explain it here? If you want ^^
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

If you want something when the luck affects the game a bit, give a try to Crow_T's Randomized Damage Mod, it assures that units always hit, but the damage varies so that the defence determines the median.

It works by inserting a bit of code into every scenario that adds a weapon special that affects the chance to hit and modifies damage. The weapon special is modified at the beginning of each attack and removed at the end. You can read its code if you want.
StefanoS

Post by StefanoS »

Dugi wrote: August 25th, 2015, 9:11 am If you want something when the luck affects the game a bit, give a try to Crow_T's Randomized Damage Mod, it assures that units always hit, but the damage varies so that the defence determines the median.

It works by inserting a bit of code into every scenario that adds a weapon special that affects the chance to hit and modifies damage. The weapon special is modified at the beginning of each attack and removed at the end. You can read its code if you want.
thanks i discovered it only now
where could be find the code?
I was thinking on something like this: viewtopic.php?f=36&p=575581&sid=1a4d5e9 ... 5a#p625636
that is actualy already seen here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=42722&p=586506
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47606

edit: ok, I found it! :whistle:
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

All add-on code can be found inside your userdata folder once it's downloaded. This add-on is no exception. It was made for 1.10, but it should work on 1.12 as well (I may have forgotten to upload it).
StefanoS

Post by StefanoS »

thank you, this summer I try to code my version, for now I'm using Crow_T mod that guarantee to do almost always some damage :)
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I am not offended if you use Crow_T's mod. I have written CrowT's mod myself based on his design for some $$. I have not written this mod because of a commitment to the idea, I did it because some people wanted it and I knew of a way to do it without restricting users to a specific multiplayer era (now the trick is more common and used in add-ons like Move Units Between Campaigns or Ultra Super Death GoreFest Chainsawer 3000).
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Hey Dugi, will you we porting this to 1.14 at any point? There seems like a lot of demand for it with the influx of new users from Steam.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

UnwiseOwl wrote: May 6th, 2018, 3:39 pm Hey Dugi, will you we porting this to 1.14 at any point? There seems like a lot of demand for it with the influx of new users from Steam.
I'm just going to answer this.
Dugi is really busy like now, he didn't even notice that 1.14.0 was released. xD He will port it, although that might take a month or more.
He has no problem with someone else porting it. (Just start working it, pm him and it's pretty much guaranteed that he says okay.)
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Ok, I've ported it as it stood in 1.12, seems functional.
Hopefully there's no issues, as I don't have the ability to fix anything that comes up.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
enclave

Post by enclave »

Ok...
This addon cant be serious...
1) Have the creator heard of WML? Mltiplayer tags etc? Because this add-on will just force itself into your game, with additional menu you will have (Enable/disable randomness) in any game you play, which may be on your way when you for example want to play Era of High Sorcery or similar.. Some eras which have a lot of custom menu content will become messy if everyone start to make modifications the way Dugi done it...
1.1) This can only be friendly to a totally new people, who don't know how to enable modifications for games or who want it in single player campaigns.. That's the only up side I found in this add-on.
2) That menu is available for all players on multiplayer, so any player can switch it on and off anytime they like... when it's convenient.
No idea what happens in the games where player with that addon is not host... menu disappear, or menu works for all no matter if they want it or not, or it will just cause OOS.. but it all doesn't matter, nobody in their own mind would use this for multiplayer.. changing the luck on the go anytime anyone likes will just be a child play.
3) How does it even work? I use glider with 4-3 marksman on an enemy and do 1 damage all 3 hits.. how in the world is this calculated???
Same for all other attacks...

So anyone who wants some crazy experience, install this add-on... You will definitly get some questions and headache.

There is a list of more RNG mods for these who in desperate need:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48149#p627723
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

enclave wrote: May 9th, 2018, 12:45 pm 1) Have the creator heard of WML? Mltiplayer tags etc? Because this add-on will just force itself into your game, with additional menu you will have (Enable/disable randomness) in any game you play, which may be on your way when you for example want to play Era of High Sorcery or similar.. Some eras which have a lot of custom menu content will become messy if everyone start to make modifications the way Dugi done it...

2) That menu is available for all players on multiplayer, so any player can switch it on and off anytime they like... when it's convenient.
No idea what happens in the games where player with that addon is not host... menu disappear, or menu works for all no matter if they want it or not, or it will just cause OOS.. but it all doesn't matter, nobody in their own mind would use this for multiplayer.. changing the luck on the go anytime anyone likes will just be a child play.
3) How does it even work? I use glider with 4-3 marksman on an enemy and do 1 damage all 3 hits.. how in the world is this calculated???
Same for all other attacks...
1) There is a disclaimer at the first page that says it will only work with most other Add-ons, if they are not very complicated.
2) The first post of this thread also says that in multiplayer everyone has to turn it on, if they don't want to cause oos or other issues.
3) That's a vaild point.
(I do think though that 1) and 2) should be put in the Add-on desription. That's owls job now.)