The White Troll (1.1.0) - 1.16 Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lynx

Re: The White Troll (1.0.2) - 1.10/1.11 Campaign

Post by lynx »

Spoiler:
Elvish_Hunter

Re: The White Troll (1.0.3) - 1.12 Campaign

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

I uploaded a new version of the campaign (1.0.3) on the 1.12 add-ons server. In this released I fixed some image paths that were changed in the development series, as well as fixing the ellipses due to the automatic assignment and changing minor stuff pointed by wmllint. No gameplay changes.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
TreefeedXavier

Post by TreefeedXavier »

I will be wery exited, if society try my translation of this add-on to Russian. Thanks.
Attachments
wesnoth-White_Troll.zip
(95.54 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
Russian translation of UMC`s for you, including: A_Rough_Life, Ooze-Mini, The White Troll, Inky's Quest & many others. If you find any translation errors in UMC - contact me.
Koo

Post by Koo »

I think that I found bug in scenario Mystic Pond.
In line 723 underscore in 'name=all_summoned' should be replaced by space.

My Wesnoth version: 1.11.16
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

In "The Final Battle", one of my two heroes (red) cannot recall OR recruit any troops at all. In addition,
all of the trolls are absent (cannot be recalled/recruited).

Is this intentional?
Elvish_Hunter

Re: The White Troll (1.0.4) - 1.12 Campaign

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

After another long, unpredictable Wesbreak, I'm back. :D And I bring news: I just uploaded a new version (1.0.4) of The White Troll on the 1.12 add-ons server.
This release includes two minor bug fixes (the one pointed by Koo, plus one where a certain message regarding certain recruitments by the inferior didn't appear), as well as the Russian translation (as supplied by TreefeedXavier, thank you :) ) and the Italian translation, this one prepared by yours truly. 8)
Woodruff wrote:In "The Final Battle", one of my two heroes (red) cannot recall OR recruit any troops at all. In addition,
all of the trolls are absent (cannot be recalled/recruited).

Is this intentional?
Partially. If you didn't kill chief Bog, you should at least retain the trolls that you got at the start of the scenario 6, and get back the Elvish units that you recruited in the first two scenarios. This sounds like a problem caused by recycling an old savegame generated by an old Wesnoth version, or by an old version of the campaign.
Try replaying it from scratch on Wesnoth 1.12.0 - I just did and everything worked fine (but I killed Bog with Urgh). If it doesn't, you should attach a savegame illustrating the problem.
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Hi, just finished playing this campaign (v. 1.0.4, Wesnoth 1.12.0, normal difficulty).

01 The white whelp: clear objectives; no major difficulties.

02 Spies: Had to restart once due to the enemy leader reaching the city, but the next time I recruited several scouts and sent them ahead to ZOC the leader. They managed to stay alive long enough for the rest of the army to arrive.

03 Back home: I personally found the turn limit (40) to be a little too short. Your units have terrible movement and defense in caves making the last section (killing all goblins) very difficult. I barely finished in time (turn 38/40). I think one reason for my difficulty was that I didn't focus on getting experience to the two main characters in the first scenario, not knowing that it would be so important later.

04 Mystic pond: This is a huge map but I felt like not much really happens on it besides a couple of wolves/goblins that come one at a time. There is only one major event (the gryphons). Maybe adding more enemies to the bottom section would make it more challenging.

05 Outpost: This is probably the most challenging scenario in the campaign. I really enjoyed it and liked the new time of day schedule. I totally missed the note about moving the other units into the tent before the leader (maybe make this note bold/colored so it stands out?) but I didn't have any difficulty with the rest of the campaign anyway.

06 Lost: Pretty easy if you manage to hold the central island before the trolls get there. I summoned a bunch of ants to hold the mountain terrain where they have 70% def. Liked the bonus objective.

07 Clash in the forest: Clear objectives; no major difficulties.

08 The final battle: I was surprised that Brandir is reunited with his elvish army but can no longer recruit elves. Even though he gains the ability to recruit whelps I never recruited a single one since the last two scenarios are almost all forest. I ended up just recalling elves, even the ones with no experience.

General: I liked the story and found the dialogue to be very amusing, for example the Grand Marshal's dialogue at the beginning of the final scenario.
Also, in all scenarios I found it way too easy to lure out the enemy leaders onto bad terrain by placing a disposable summon in their range, which makes it very easy to kill them.

To everyone to worked on this campaign: Thank you for your hard work!
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Inky wrote:03 Back home: I personally found the turn limit (40) to be a little too short.
I'll have to discuss this with the other members of the WIF, but I suppose that we could raise the limit. Do you think that 45 turns may be enough for normal difficult?
Inky wrote:04 Mystic pond... Maybe adding more enemies to the bottom section would make it more challenging.
Do you have any particular unit that you would like to see here?
Inky wrote:08 The final battle: I was surprised that Brandir is reunited with his elvish army but can no longer recruit elves.
I guess that the recruitment could be enabled. That will be especially useful for playes that didn't complete the bonus objectives. We'll see.
Inky wrote:Also, in all scenarios I found it way too easy to lure out the enemy leaders onto bad terrain by placing a disposable summon in their range, which makes it very easy to kill them.
Hmm... Perhaps I can add a passive_leader=yes key to every enemy AI side.
Inky wrote:I liked the story and found the dialogue to be very amusing, for example the Grand Marshal's dialogue at the beginning of the final scenario.
I know, right? Lord Denvan always calling everyone under his command "my inferior" makes me giggle every time... :lol:
Inky wrote:To everyone to worked on this campaign: Thank you for your hard work!
And on behalf of the whole Wesnoth Italian Forum: thank you for playing it and for your report! 8)
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Thank you for taking the time to reply in such detail!
Scenario 3: Yes, I think that adding just a few more turns would help in case the player has bad luck with the RNG.
Scenario 4: I don't have a specific idea, but I feel like there should be more opposition on the bottom half of the map, especially since you are required to summon a lot of units in this scenario. So if you summoned at the beginning you have to drag them across the bottom of the map without them doing much.
vadia

Post by vadia »

I played on normal, and I thought that it was a good scenario in general. The one biggest difficulty I had was remembering about summoning :lol: .
In actuality, the summoning is a great idea, but there are a couple of issues I had with it. First. All the units slowed down the army which can be merely annoying (in the case of the first summoning scenario quite so). Second, if you keep the two summoners at rest during the first summoning scenario, you can end with close to a hundred mana by the end of the scenario. That's a bit much and by the end of the game could surround both guys with summoned guys by the end of the scenario.
Spoiler:
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

vadia wrote: Second, if you keep the two summoners at rest during the first summoning scenario, you can end with close to a hundred mana by the end of the scenario.
True, but you can't keep them resting for the first two summoning scenarios...
Spoiler:
It's interesting to note that, originally, we though to set a maximum mana limit, but in the end we decided against it and simply used very low mana regeneration values. What can still be done, however, is increasing the mana cost for the creatures, if you have any sensible value to propose ;)
vadia wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
And of course, thanks for playing!
Elvish_Hunter

Re: The White Troll (1.0.5) - 1.14 Campaign

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Three years have passed since my last post in this topic, but now I'm ready to announce that The White Troll is available on the 1.14 add-ons server.
These are the changes that I made for this release:
  • Fixed portrait paths
  • Removed {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR}
  • Scenario 02: used defeat_condition=no_units_left for side 2
  • Added major_amla=yes to the advancements of Eruannon and Melime
  • Converted campaign difficulty to use tags instead of macros
  • Scenario 04: made the summoning objective disappear when all creatures are summoned
  • Scenario 04: used delayed_variable_substitution in objectives
  • Scenario 05: removed {AI_SIMPLE_ALWAYS_ASPECT recruitment_ignore_bad_movement "yes"} and {AI_SIMPLE_ALWAYS_ASPECT recruitment_ignore_bad_combat "yes"}
  • Scenario 05: modified two messages
  • Fixed Great Ogre image size (it wasn't 72x72)
  • Fixed missing death sound for giant ant
  • Replaced MENU_IMG_TXT and MENU_IMG_TXT2 calls with DescriptionWML
  • Kill summoned units on victory by using status=summoned instead of [filter_wml]
As always, please report any bug that you find, or just send any suggestion that you might have ;)
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

BFW 1.14.0

It's not cheating if the game allows it, right?
Spoiler:
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
sergey

Post by sergey »

Just finished "The White Troll". I must say, it is one of my favorite Wesnoth campaigns. Thanks a lot for creating it!
What difficulty level and Wesnoth version have you played the campaign on?
Normal difficulty, Wesnoth 1.14
How difficult did you find the campaign? (1-10)
I would say 5. I finished about half of the scenarios with first attempt. Some of them took 2-3 attempts. And I had to replay "Lost" scenario about 5 or 6 times, anyway that was fun to try different approaches.
How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear. Also I liked that there are dialogues providing some additional details about scenarios.
Spoiler:
How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenarios?
They are great.
What were your major challenges in completing the scenarios?
Spoiler:
How fun do you think the campaign is? (1-10)
I give it a 10.
What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?
I would balance mana. Currently mana amount is simply moved to the next scenario, correct? What do you think about resetting available mana in the beginning of each scenario? In scenarios where recruiting is not available there has to be more mana at the beginning.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Elvish_Hunter

Re: The White Troll (1.1.0) - 1.16 Campaign

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

A few years passed since the last release of this campaign. Too many things (for better or for worse, but mainly for worse) have changed since then, and one of these was the Wesnoth Italian Forum closing down. It all started with a technical problem on the 1st of December 2019, so I tried to contact the admin, without success. :cry:
This campaign is pretty much all that remains of the WIF, so this new release (1.1.0, on the 1.16 add-ons server) is dedicated to that forum and all its former members.
This is what I changed in this version:
Spoiler:
Have fun!