A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revansurik

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by revansurik »

Hi everyone,

So, yeah, I haven't vanished yet in the mists of time :lol:

First of all, I'm sorry for not replying to any bug report for so long; I hope those pesky bugs haven't harmed much the playing experience.

I won't go into detail, but these last 16 months or so haven't been easy on me (and that's an euphemism; during this time, I found myself losing interest even in stuff I've always enjoyed - Wesnoth included). Hence my long absence.

Then I happened to see the New Horizons update in the Wesnoth Facebook page, and decided to have a try for old times' sake - and that gave me a much needed boost of enthusiasm to return to my own campaigns ^_^
(BTW, I've got to say I really liked the new Quenoth faction. Those Sun Sylphs are awesome, and so are the new portraits ^_^ )

But, for all it's worth, from now on I should be more active and check the forums more often. I'm already re-working my old campaigns, correcting old bugs/typos, even adding a little bit of new lore and dialogues here and there... :)

In fact, I've already replayed A Song of Fire, and was ready to upload it to the 1.14 server - then I remember War of Legends hasn't been uploaded there yet (though I've already contacted WoL's owner to see if he has any plans of uploading his era). Also, I couldn't find the 1.13 version of the game, and other than 1.14 I only have the 1.12 version in my PC, so that's where I"ve uploaded so far. (If any kind soul would catch me up on latest changes to the game, or on how I can access the 1.13 servers via other versions, I'd be grateful ^_^)
On the other hand, I've already uploaded it to the 1.12 servers. Now I must say I've missed a bunch of changelogs, so I only hope I haven't missed any major code change - though the game started alright for me :lol:

Aaand here's the changelog of version 1.0.0 (yes, I've considered it long completed, I just didn't change the version number :P)

Code: Select all

V. 1.0.0

- Scenarios
    - Rain of Fire: added a couple new lines of dialogue for Veela
	- Monstrous Help: added some new dialogue for Myra and Dvalin
	- Lightning Strike: M'lena no longer jumps into the fight
	- Council with the King: slight changes to map
	- Legend of the Water Dragon: made the last objective more specific; (hopefully) corrected ancient bug that prevented the last objective from being completed (moving Myra back to keep)
	- Twilight of the Kingdoms: both the dragons' reinforcement and Dvalin appear 3 turns earlier than before
	- Blood of the Steppes: added bonus gold if player defeats Ogre Chieftain
	- Wings of Rebellion II: Changes to dialogue
	- Forging Alliances: Decreased 3 of the enemy sides' starting gold
	- Night Fire: Dvalin's camp is a bunch of hexes closer to vampire castle

- Scenarios (general)
    - Updated some maps with new terrain types (such as the merfolk castles in Ring of Fire)

- Units
    - All of Veela's Runeforger attacks are now magical
	- Re-named Maat's attacks; increased her fire resistance
	- Added new unit type for Shek'har
	- Slightly 'nerfed' most Hannuk units, especially lvl 2 and 3 ones
	- Added portrait for Nitiballi
Last edited by revansurik on May 16th, 2018, 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

You may want to use the [code] tag for the changelog instead.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

revansurik wrote: May 15th, 2018, 4:26 pm Also, I couldn't find the 1.13 version of the game, and other than 1.14 I only have the 1.12 version in my PC, so that's where I"ve uploaded so far. (If any kind soul would catch me up on latest changes to the game, or on how I can access the 1.13 servers via other versions, I'd be grateful ^_^)
You probably know this already, but you may have forgotten if you've been away for a while...

Even numbered Wesnoth versions (1.14, 1.12, 1.10, ...) are stable releases, while odd-numbered Wesnoth versions (1.13, 1.11, 1.9, ...) are unstable development releases. Version 1.13 is (was) the development version leading up to the stable release of 1.14, and now that 1.14 has been released, there's probably hardly anyone using 1.13 any more. Also, the last few 1.13.x releases actually used the new 1.14 add-ons server, so it's been some time since the 1.13 add-ons server was really in active use. (The last time anyone uploaded anything to the 1.13 add-ons server was about two months ago.)

You might want to keep supporting the previous stable version (1.12) for a while longer, as there are still some people using it, but obviously their numbers will only decline in the future as more and more of them upgrade to 1.14.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Yeah, I did forget that, thanks for the heads up! At least I won't have to download another version then :lol:

Plus I already plan on maintaining my campaigns on the 1.12, so it's no a problem :)

And I edited the tag in the previous message. I'm still not entirely used to the new layout :P

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Hey, welcome back to the forums. :D It's so good to hear from you again. I look forward to the Dragon Trilogy coming to 1.14. Don't want the new players to miss out on one of the greatest trilogies of Wesnoth.

Congratulations on publishing your book too. 8)
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Sudipta wrote: May 16th, 2018, 6:57 am Hey, welcome back to the forums. :D It's so good to hear from you again. I look forward to the Dragon Trilogy coming to 1.14. Don't want the new players to miss out on one of the greatest trilogies of Wesnoth.

Thank you Sudipta! ^_^

;-)
ekeron

Post by ekeron »

Yes! Happy to see back to Port this awesome campaign to 1.14.

Getting back into wesnoth after a long absence & I'll hapilly replay it once the new version is out.
Completed official campaigns: ToTB, AOI, TSG, HttT, Liberty, HoT
Completed unofficial campaigns: The Amaranthine stone, Bad moon rising part 1, Ooze mini campaign
astthar

Post by astthar »

revansurik wrote: May 16th, 2018, 3:43 pm
Sudipta wrote: May 16th, 2018, 6:57 am Hey, welcome back to the forums. :D It's so good to hear from you again. I look forward to the Dragon Trilogy coming to 1.14. Don't want the new players to miss out on one of the greatest trilogies of Wesnoth.

make those my words, welcome back, buuuuuuuut, AFTER THE new update, in a song of fire, there is this bug after finishing second map

the map could no be loaded: ilegal tile in map:(Xom) 'xom' the map cannot be loaded
marecki

Post by marecki »

Hey, welcome back. Happy to hear you will be maintaining the campaigns on 1.12, as 1.14 is quite unplayable for me, due to the changes in how Wesnoth handles resolution. Will be definitely replaying ASoF at some point.
endutas

Post by endutas »

[issue][/issue] I found a bug in ASOF after updating it, after finishing A Common Cause Scenario i currently unable to load Monstrous Help scenario It said "The game map could not be loaded : Illegal tile in map: (Xom) 'Xom' The map could not be loaded. It works just fine before the update and i can still loaded it in previous save file. Pls help, i currently in second playthrough of ASOF and this bug prevents me from progressing through the plot. Currently i play ASOF patch 1.00
Chipica

Post by Chipica »

endutas wrote: June 20th, 2018, 5:35 am [issue][/issue] I found a bug in ASOF after updating it, after finishing A Common Cause Scenario i currently unable to load Monstrous Help scenario It said "The game map could not be loaded : Illegal tile in map: (Xom) 'Xom' The map could not be loaded. It works just fine before the update and i can still loaded it in previous save file. Pls help, i currently in second playthrough of ASOF and this bug prevents me from progressing through the plot. Currently i play ASOF patch 1.00
I had the same problem, here is what is happening:
To play, u need to use Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.something. However, this version does not recognize the tile called "Stright mine wall", coded "Xom" in the map file (More info here: https://wiki.wesnoth.org/TerrainCodeTableWML ). In order to fix this (I did this on Windows 10):
- First, u gonna need a good text editor (I think u can use Notepad, but I used Notepad++).
- Open windows explorer (The one u use to explore the folder of your hard drive, not internet explorer)
- at Explorer's adress bar (the bar on the top where it is stated the name of the folder you are at), write: "shell:local appdata" (without quotation marks)
- You will be in a folder called "Local", something like This PC\Windows(C:)\Users\YourName\AppData\Local
- Look for a folder called VirtualStore. It may be hidden, then go to
C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.6\userdata\data\add-ons\A_Song_of_Fire\maps
- Look for the file 03_Monstrous_Help.map.
- Open this file with the text editor (I used Notepad++)
- Go to Edit > Replace > , OR, Search > Replace if u r using Notepad++
- Write "Xom" in the upper field, and "Xu" in the second field (without quotation marks). Click on Replace All button.
- Save changes made to this file.

That should have solved the problem. What u did was replacing the tile that was not recognized by another, similar that is. Hope it works.
Zmoj

Post by Zmoj »

I got a quick question. Your previous campaign - War of the Jewel - has some game-breaking bugs, but somewhere I've read that it hasn't been updated for new versions (I'm using 1.12.4), or rather, the era for units you are using isn't updated so it creates these bugs. I was wondering where can I find Wesnoth of earlier versions, one that is compatible with era's coding so the campaign can function normally?
GeneralAsian2403

Post by GeneralAsian2403 »

Hello, I've got a bug to report.
I couldn't load scenario "Fires of Hope". The bug is like that in "A Monstrous Help", but instead of Illegal map tile Xu, It's Illegal map tile Cme. I tried Chipica's method of replacing the tile with other ones but It didn't help. I'm using Wesnoth 1.12.6 and having the latest version of War of Legends and A Song of Fire installed.
Can anyone help me with this? Thank you in advance.
endutas

Post by endutas »

I tried what Chipica told me to do and it works!!!!
Thanks for the help
endutas

Post by endutas »

Chipica wrote: July 5th, 2018, 5:04 am
endutas wrote: June 20th, 2018, 5:35 am [issue][/issue] I found a bug in ASOF after updating it, after finishing A Common Cause Scenario i currently unable to load Monstrous Help scenario It said "The game map could not be loaded : Illegal tile in map: (Xom) 'Xom' The map could not be loaded. It works just fine before the update and i can still loaded it in previous save file. Pls help, i currently in second playthrough of ASOF and this bug prevents me from progressing through the plot. Currently i play ASOF patch 1.00
I had the same problem, here is what is happening:
To play, u need to use Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.something. However, this version does not recognize the tile called "Stright mine wall", coded "Xom" in the map file (More info here: https://wiki.wesnoth.org/TerrainCodeTableWML ). In order to fix this (I did this on Windows 10):
- First, u gonna need a good text editor (I think u can use Notepad, but I used Notepad++).
- Open windows explorer (The one u use to explore the folder of your hard drive, not internet explorer)
- at Explorer's adress bar (the bar on the top where it is stated the name of the folder you are at), write: "shell:local appdata" (without quotation marks)
- You will be in a folder called "Local", something like This PC\Windows(C:)\Users\YourName\AppData\Local
- Look for a folder called VirtualStore. It may be hidden, then go to
C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.6\userdata\data\add-ons\A_Song_of_Fire\maps
- Look for the file 03_Monstrous_Help.map.
- Open this file with the text editor (I used Notepad++)
- Go to Edit > Replace > , OR, Search > Replace if u r using Notepad++
- Write "Xom" in the upper field, and "Xu" in the second field (without quotation marks). Click on Replace All button.
- Save changes made to this file.

That should have solved the problem. What u did was replacing the tile that was not recognized by another, similar that is. Hope it works.

I follow ur suggestion and it works!!! Thx for the help