A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Cant log in wesnoth official server

Post by Ravana »

1.12 addon is not supposed to work for version other than 1.12.
Sadaharu

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by Sadaharu »

A simpler solution would be to get BfW 1.12 and run the trilogy on it.

Edit: I hadn't seen Ravana's post. :oops:
Gonozal

Post by Gonozal »

Ravana wrote: February 11th, 2019, 8:49 pm 1.12 addon is not supposed to work for version other than 1.12.
As I fixed my mistake(same old with every steam game) it works! :D
Started the first scenario yesterday. Of course I have to become familiar with the Elementals.
I use the actual WoL 1.1.9 and after an hour gameplay there are no bugs (that means nothing, I know ;) )

First impression: I love the dialogues between Myra and Blondie :D
gnombat wrote: February 11th, 2019, 7:32 pm Even if you get it working, that may still be pretty overwhelming for a beginner - note that this trilogy has over 100 scenarios and is quite complex. It will probably make more sense after playing the mainline campaigns that come with the game (it fills in the backstory of some characters from the mainline campaigns).
I am new to BfW but not to that kind of games. But I guess You are right. It is always a shame that one can't experience great campaigns in a new game as long as one tries to learn the fine mechanics of a game and makes a lot of beginner mistakes. Replaying these campaigns later is not much fun.

Would You recommend that I continue "Rise of Wesnoth" first? (it is recommended to be played before "Library of...whatever")
The game is about Wesnoth (mostly), so understanding the origins would be recommended. :)

At start I played "Two Brothers" because of the speech set, then started with "Orcish Incursion" but then I realized(after finding the official timeline) that I was hopping through the ages and stopped immediately. Without a clue about the historical context I would miss a lot of fun, I think. That's why I wanted to play the campaigns in "correct order".
Alas, the wiki is confusing for beginners. I found the inofficial timeline of the Dragon Trilogy by coincidence.(I still don't know who decides, what's canon and what not).
Would be great if there is a chronocal list of campaigns or a COMPLETE timeline. Still don't know what this "technological" era is.
Konrad2 wrote: February 11th, 2019, 5:06 pm Btw, Genesis predates (at least in the wesnoth 'timeline') A Song of Fire. But their lore conflicts.
Have found it. What Eras does it need?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Gonozal wrote: February 12th, 2019, 10:52 am Would You recommend that I continue "Rise of Wesnoth" first? (it is recommended to be played before "Library of...whatever")
The game is about Wesnoth (mostly), so understanding the origins would be recommended. :)
Library of Kratemaqht.

Well...UMC is per definition not canon, so those origins are not canon either. (Actually it's the other way around. Only stuff in mainline (core game) is canon, everything else is up for debate.)
Would be great if there is a chronocal list of campaigns or a COMPLETE timeline. Still don't know what this "technological" era is.
There is one for mainline (canon) campaigns.
You can also order them in the campaign choosing dialog by clicking on 'Dates', which orders your campaigns (approximate) chronologically. (Works for mainline campaigns properly, others not so much.)
Konrad2 wrote: February 11th, 2019, 5:06 pm Btw, Genesis predates (at least in the wesnoth 'timeline') A Song of Fire. But their lore conflicts.
Have found it. What Eras does it need?
None. But it needs 'Genesis Resources'.
Now please stop hijacking this thread.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Gonozal wrote: February 12th, 2019, 10:52 am I am new to BfW but not to that kind of games. But I guess You are right. It is always a shame that one can't experience great campaigns in a new game as long as one tries to learn the fine mechanics of a game and makes a lot of beginner mistakes. Replaying these campaigns later is not much fun.

Would You recommend that I continue "Rise of Wesnoth" first? (it is recommended to be played before "Library of...whatever")
The Rise of Wesnoth is chronologically the first mainline campaign, but it's a fairly difficult campaign not really intended for beginners - if you decide to play that next, I would try it on the easiest difficulty level.
Gonozal wrote: February 12th, 2019, 10:52 am At start I played "Two Brothers" because of the speech set, then started with "Orcish Incursion" but then I realized(after finding the official timeline) that I was hopping through the ages and stopped immediately. Without a clue about the historical context I would miss a lot of fun, I think. That's why I wanted to play the campaigns in "correct order".
There isn't really a "correct order" since the campaigns themselves were not actually written in chronological order, so they usually don't assume any knowledge of other campaigns. For example, Heir to the Throne was the first campaign written, even though it takes place roughly in the middle of the timeline, so obviously it doesn't depend on knowing any of the other campaigns (which were not even written yet when it was created).

I would recommend starting out with the campaigns marked "Novice level" first before moving on to "Intermediate level" or "Expert level" or add-on campaigns. An Orcish Incursion is a good choice for beginners. (The story itself has very little connection with other campaigns.)
Zaxmyss

Post by Zaxmyss »

This trilogy is last playable on version 1.12?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Yes. Unless someone makes it work for 1.14.
Shinigami936

Post by Shinigami936 »

I'm getting a map tile error on S3 and S20 like previous posters, but the text edit solution doesn't work for me.
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

revansurik wrote: June 13th, 2014, 3:36 pm ...while Agadhor, Shakkha and Niddhon will be part of the Sky Soul. There was nothing in the objectives saying you had to kill them...
"Agadhor, Shakkha and Niddhon"?
Spoiler:
Last edited by Konrad2 on July 10th, 2019, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added spoiler tags
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Shinigami936 wrote: June 1st, 2019, 7:59 pm I'm getting a map tile error on S3 and S20 like previous posters, but the text edit solution doesn't work for me.
(this remains unanswered)

If you edit the file you have to retart the game and load again. I hope that helps.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

@Shinigami936 you can also click F5 on keyboard to reload cache.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

And here I am again folks, back from the dead after years just like Ravanal ^_^
I've talked about my hiatus on the Aria of the Dragon-Slayer thread, so I won't bore you with a copy-paste. Here's the changelog of v. 1.0.1 of A Song of Fire!

Code: Select all

V. 1.0.1

- Scenarios
    - The Sky Dragon Descends: made sure Svarballi won't kill Agadhor, Shakkha and Niddhon; Gil-Gawien no longer rushes to her death
	- Farewell, pt 1: Jevyan can't hit any enemy due to him carrying Myra
	- Fires of Hope: increased amount of gold demanded by Ryujin
	- Where the Sun is Born: Carapaces should not go much farther from their own keep

- Scenarios (general)
    - Updated some maps with new terrain types (such as the merfolk castles in Ring of Fire)
	- A few little changes to map in 'Forging Allies'

- Units
    - Added 'worldsweave' ability to Maat; decreased her fire resistance
	- Hannuk Charioteer moves better in more terrain types
	- Some changes to Seraphs
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

revansurik wrote: December 30th, 2019, 8:48 pm And here I am again folks, back from the dead after years just like Ravanal ^_^
Awesome. Does this mean the dragon trilogy is getting ported?
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

BTIsaac wrote: December 30th, 2019, 9:23 pm
revansurik wrote: December 30th, 2019, 8:48 pm And here I am again folks, back from the dead after years just like Ravanal ^_^
Awesome. Does this mean the dragon trilogy is getting ported?
It's already been ported - to 1.14 anyway. I've uploaded them to the 1.14 server a couple hours ago ;)
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)