A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revansurik

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by revansurik »

It's good that the recall list is mostly wiped in the last chapter, it was getting obscenely large. Inexplicably, I could still recall one greatbow and two swordmasters for the rest of the campaign
That's because I mistook some unit ids when storing them; if you had a Rune Forger, you would also keep it even after scenario 27. I'll correct that :-)

Fading of a Flame: Er, it was supposed to be a very hard battle... But anyway, I'll make it so that Grigorius' appearance is triggered either by turns running out or by the Celestial leader getting killed.

Valley of Silence: I am actually changing the max turn limit of many scenarios, because as I'm replaying ASoF I'm noticing the gold carryover is way too big (see, that is still my first campaign after all).But this scenario was supposed to be relatvely easy; the force that attacks the valley is just a reinforcement to the siege of Hiera'Laksha, but as it was ended, it was ordered to attack somewhere else.

Wrath of the Heavens: No, I don't, for I too have a massive army of lvls 3 and 4 :-P Maybe I just got lazy and added too few Celestials to guard the Tower before Grigorius' rise, but I'll improve them as well. :-P
Very minor stuff: not everyone leaves the battlefield at the end, specifically some loyals stay (Garmo's wolves and Yara, maybe others which I didn't recall - this is probably intentional and a good addition, as it rewards players who kept those units alive), but also the aforementioned "leftover" aragwaithi (which I'm fairly sure is a bug of some sort). The "seawave" sound in the epilogue continues long after you click end scenario.
Well... I actually didn't expect those wargs to go so far... But maybe that's just me, I always used them as cannonfodder in scenario 26 :oops: The thing is, they were supposed to fight alongside Myra only at 26, it makes no sense for them to keep fighting with her after that - but maybe I'll leave the dryad with Myra; she may have felt atracted to our heroine's natural power :-)
The seawave sound (which is actually a ship sound from the game's core files) is programmed to play for a few times; I still don't know how to make a sound repeat titself only until a scenario's end, but I think the seawave sound playing after the epilogue's end and during the credits give a nice effect :-)
Also: "to be continued...?" Yeah!
Well, that's a leftover from the previous versions, when there was always a continuation; now, the end credits say only "A Song of Fire", but since you were playing from the previous versions, it still said "To be continued...".
...BUT I am planning on making a sequel to ASoF, where the protagonist will be a descendant of Myra; this sequel will also tell of the Sky Soul's fate, as well as the Trident's, and also the consolidation of Maat'Kare as a power in the Sun's Cradle. It will also connect more with canonical lore, and with some other UMC campaigns. :-D
PS.: I may still change the name, but for now this sequel is called War of the Jewel. It should be completed only by the end of the year though, for I'll be busy from now on; ASoF only came out so quickly because I made it while on vacancies :-P

Last but not least, I'm really glad you liked this campaign! :-D Also, your feedback was great, through it I could correct many things that were wrong or lacking. It's a bit too early to say that, but I hope you enjoy War of the Jewel as well! :-D
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Spoiler:
I'm not very far yet, but I like the main characters :)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Version 0.3.1 is released. I just made a few additions and corrections; the main change is perhaps Svarballi's new sprites and portrait, which (I hope) will make him look as badass as he's supposed to be :-D

Changelog:

Code: Select all

Version 0.3.1:
        -------------------

- Units:
            - New sprites for Svarballi; also changed his attacks slightly

- Scenarios:
           - Legend of the Water Dragon: Corrected the mistake that triggered the endlevel event before Myra reached the Fountain; added new sprite for Nitiballi's statue.
           - Minor changes to other scenarios.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
gooby

Post by gooby »

revansurik wrote:3.Which portions of the campaign do you find to be too easy or too hard that may need to be rebalanced?
I just started, but "Lightning Strike". I'm getting overwhelmed here. I just skipped it at the expense of not gaining experienced units. That being said, I like fighting with elementals. The air elementals are particularly amusing and of course I love jinn...

So um anyway

"The elders tend to be wiser but they often overestimate us youngsters' cleverness and choices."

Shouldn't that be "underestimate"? "Choices" doesn't seem like the right word here. Maybe "decisions"?
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

Perhaps "decisiveness" or "decision-making" would fit the context better?
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Well, I think I got the wrong word there... I always confuse underestimate by overestimate, sorry :-P
About the Lightning Strike scenario... Well, in the first turn you should recall your strongest units to destroy Assix's saurians, they're not strong anyway. While the recalled units and Veela deal with Assix, send Myra straight to Hiera'Shirsha, and recruit or recall more units from one of the many keeps there. Thus you should be able to hold off the drake army; air elementals are especially strong against drakes with their cold attacks, especially if they are strengthened by Myra's leadership. I don't know how your Myra is at scenario Lightning Strike, but every time I played it she was already lvl 3 ;-)
EDIT: I forgot to add, did you skip that scenario before Dvalin appeared again...? Because he does reapper near the end of that scenario, and he brings some good experienced dwarvish units with him :-P

;-)
gooby

Post by gooby »

Scenario "Farewell": "Death of Dvalin" is a "lose" condition, yet Dvalin is nowhere to be seen. (I think he was absent when I got 400 gold from him as well, but I can't sure.)

Also as soon as I end Turn 1 I get defeated, wth...
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

I'll ask again, did you skip scenario Lightning Strike before Dvalin reappears near the end? His absence may even be causing the defeat event in scenario Farewell, I think...

;-)
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

You may want to re- introduce him at the end of the scenario just to stop this error on the off chance that anyone does manage to defeat the drakes before he arrives (though I can't see it happening). He and his loyal units are vital for the ongoing campaign.
It would be easy enough to have him arrive and say "so you didn't need me afterall" or somesuch.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
gooby

Post by gooby »

revansurik wrote:I'll ask again, did you skip scenario Lightning Strike before Dvalin reappears near the end? His absence may even be causing the defeat event in scenario Farewell, I think...
Yeah probably, that's it. I'm going to have to start over from there...

EDIT: I'll just convert one of the Drake leaders to my side and send him to die. That should simplify things. :)

EDIT: I have Dvalin and his crew back but here's a weird thing I just noticed. Abhai is "aged" with -1 moves. Yet he has six. (The default Ancient Banner unit has five.) ???
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Just a shot in the dark, but this could be a movetype issue.
I think War of Legends era uses "aragwathifoot" etc, which almost certainly conflicts with either the Feudal Era, or the Era of Chaos, or the Aragwaith standalone. Do you have any of those installed?
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Abhai has 6 moves because of the Rod of Justice, which increases his movement, strength and hp. ;-)
It would be easy enough to have him arrive and say "so you didn't need me afterall" or somesuch.
Yeah, I think I'll do that, just in case some save-loader... I mean, super player manages to defeat the 2 drake leaders :-P

;-)
gooby

Post by gooby »

UnwiseOwl wrote:Just a shot in the dark, but this could be a movetype issue.
I think War of Legends era uses "aragwathifoot" etc, which almost certainly conflicts with either the Feudal Era, or the Era of Chaos, or the Aragwaith standalone. Do you have any of those installed?
I don't.

Anyway, I have Dvalin now and am still getting the defeat condition. It's apparently because Varthan isn't with me. I'm going to see if I can monkeypatch the save file to include Varthan but why is he not getting transferred? If it helps, I moved him off his keep to the east to avoid getting killed by Svarballi, whom I defeated early, at turn 6.

EDIT: I have managed to add Varthan and STILL GETTING DEFEATED ON TURN 1! ARGH
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Anyway, I have Dvalin now and am still getting the defeat condition. It's apparently because Varthan isn't with me. I'm going to see if I can monkeypatch the save file to include Varthan but why is he not getting transferred? If it helps, I moved him off his keep to the east to avoid getting killed by Svarballi, whom I defeated early, at turn 6.

Analyzing this problem, I found an awfully stupid mistake I commited: Svarballi was supposed to appear on turn 20, not 2. Of course things won't work rightly, scenarios 14 and 15 depend on an event that happens on turn 22 :oops:
Also, I think I fixed the problem that was causing the defeat condition: there was no leader on side 1, I mean, no unit capable of recruiting. Gooby, when you added Varthan, he was probably but a common unit. Just to make sure this doesn't happen again, I have kept Dvalin as a recruiting unit for scenario 15; he returns to normal in the 16.
I have just uploaded version 0.3.2, with the fixes mentioned above. Argh, if I had money to spare I'd pay a programmer to do the coding for me... :augh:
BTW, gooby, you said you defeated Svarballi on turn 6, before Maat gets uber-powerful :shock: How on the wide green world did you do that?

;-)
gooby

Post by gooby »

revansurik wrote:

Analyzing this problem, I found an awfully stupid mistake I commited: Svarballi was supposed to appear on turn 20, not 2. Of course things won't work rightly, scenarios 14 and 15 depend on an event that happens on turn 22 :oops:
Also, I think I fixed the problem that was causing the defeat condition: there was no leader on side 1, I mean, no unit capable of recruiting. Gooby, when you added Varthan, he was probably but a common unit. Just to make sure this doesn't happen again, I have kept Dvalin as a recruiting unit for scenario 15; he returns to normal in the 16.
I have just uploaded version 0.3.2, with the fixes mentioned above. Argh, if I had money to spare I'd pay a programmer to do the coding for me... :augh:
BTW, gooby, you said you defeated Svarballi on turn 6, before Maat gets uber-powerful :shock: How on the wide green world did you do that?
Recruited a whole bunch of Savants. Their slowing arcane attacks were (relatively) useful against Svarballi. Add to this Maat's leadership and it was only a matter of time before his HP was so whittled down that she could inflict the coup de grâce.

EDIT: I have made it through "Farewell". There is text "At least let me foyou then". Probably mean "follow you".

EDIT: In "Blood of the Steppes" every time I load a save file after having made a mistake and my gold is negative, it is increased to zero. I have no idea why.

EDIT: In "Besieged", Myra saying "you darn dragon" seems absurdly mild to the native English speaker. I would suggest replacing it with "damn", "Godd*mn" or similar. Because I am a native English speaker you can consult me about your ideas.

EDIT: "Fires of Hope" ... how did you do it? Is there a trick, like in "Besieged"? (I kept getting defeated until I realized I could use the outer defenses to recruit from.) I'm getting overwhelmed here!

EDIT: "Wings of Rebellion" ... also horrible (I cheated in "Fires of Hope"). I finally beat these Orcs back and then they get reinforcements?!?!

EDIT: Dvalin doesn't appear on turn 4 in "Conquest of the Promised Land".