A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lockon

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by Lockon »

Having a hell of a hard time in third scenario. :augh: Damn Saurians, they're dodgy as hell, and the units I've been getting the most mileage out of(The Sylphs and Razorbirds. Especially the first, I rather like them overall.) are completely useless underground and the dwarves are useless as they just get swarmed because they're too slow to get anywhere... And this is all under shroud so I can't see where they are until it's too late... help, I have no idea what to do here. I can't find good terrain to work with because I can't see anything I have no idea where I'm going and I'm still learning about how to use my units...
marecki

Post by marecki »

Stone elementals for the win, at least that's how I did it. Kobolds have 60% pierce resistance (and even 20% cold resist) which makes them hard counter to saurians. And they have decent defense in caves (40-50% depending on terrain). You won't regret it - stone elementals remain very useful all the way throughout this campaign. Don't bother with anything else, except maybe orbs aka healbots. Don't rush out, move slowly in a tight formation of kobolds and you'll be fine. If I remember correctly you get some lvl3 spiders on this map, which can easily kill/poison a lot of lizards. Good luck.
Btw razorbirds are mediocre, waste of gold imo, sylphs make just as good scouts and are much better all round in dealing with threats (more hp, marksman, cold and impact dmg).
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

marecki wrote:Stone elementals for the win, at least that's how I did it. Kobolds have 60% pierce resistance (and even 20% cold resist) which makes them hard counter to saurians. And they have decent defense in caves (40-50% depending on terrain). You won't regret it - stone elementals remain very useful all the way throughout this campaign. Don't bother with anything else, except maybe orbs aka healbots. Don't rush out, move slowly in a tight formation of kobolds and you'll be fine. If I remember correctly you get some lvl3 spiders on this map, which can easily kill/poison a lot of lizards. Good luck.
Btw razorbirds are mediocre, waste of gold imo, sylphs make just as good scouts and are much better all round in dealing with threats (more hp, marksman, cold and impact dmg).
Lockon wrote:Having a hell of a hard time in third scenario. :augh: Damn Saurians, they're dodgy as hell, and the units I've been getting the most mileage out of(The Sylphs and Razorbirds. Especially the first, I rather like them overall.) are completely useless underground and the dwarves are useless as they just get swarmed because they're too slow to get anywhere... And this is all under shroud so I can't see where they are until it's too late... help, I have no idea what to do here. I can't find good terrain to work with because I can't see anything I have no idea where I'm going and I'm still learning about how to use my units...
In addition to what marecki said, I add that Brazier Imps are very helpful in that scenario; though they're very vulnerable to cold, they're swifter than kobolds, have some resistance against pierce, and their fire attacks are deadly for the saurians. Also, you can recruit good ol' dwarves to chop them down ;-)
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Lockon

Post by Lockon »

Yeah, now my problem is time. I can't kill them all in 34 turns even with the spiders. Hell, I got locked in a pocket for 20, because I HAD to use both chokepoints to even have a prayer of survival. What possessed you to give them half a dozen oracles and have shroud up so I can't tell what I'm facing ahead of time. My guys can't hit them half the time, they heal what I DO hit them with the other half and... it's frustrating, alright?
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Lockon wrote:Yeah, now my problem is time. I can't kill them all in 34 turns even with the spiders. Hell, I got locked in a pocket for 20, because I HAD to use both chokepoints to even have a prayer of survival. What possessed you to give them half a dozen oracles and have shroud up so I can't tell what I'm facing ahead of time. My guys can't hit them half the time, they heal what I DO hit them with the other half and... it's frustrating, alright?
Retry it from the start; unless you're playing it on Hard, it shouldn't be so impossible. Choose the largest saurian group and attack them with fire & rock elementals and dwarves strengthened by Myra's leadership, attract as many saurians as you can to flat terrain, place dwarves in hill terrain, and then wait for the spiders, and you will win.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
marecki

Post by marecki »

If you're having problems now, I can't wait for your reaction to Fires of Hope. You're in for a treat :twisted:
regnak

Post by regnak »

marecki wrote:If you're having problems now, I can't wait for your reaction to Fires of Hope. You're in for a treat :twisted:

Hmm, I may give up on the campaign then. I don't go in for nightmare scenarios.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote:
marecki wrote:If you're having problems now, I can't wait for your reaction to Fires of Hope. You're in for a treat :twisted:

Hmm, I may give up on the campaign then. I don't go in for nightmare scenarios.
Well, the campaign's overall difficulty level is Medium, so you should expect to find some challenging scenarios - though I dare say they're all doable now, if you use the correct strategy. In the past, some scenarios - such as Fires of Hope and The Wilderness - were like creations of my evil side :twisted: though I've reformed them :-P

;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

I have played most of the mainline campaigns and would not call this medium. The first scenarios were too easy,(the trolls stole most the kills in 2) 3 was hard and 4 :shock:. Early finish bonus, how would you actually kill the drake leaders when there are so many L2 troops?
Zolm

Post by Zolm »

iirc you cannot kill enemy leaders on 4. On normal each of them get around 1300 gold total, starting with ~700 and with a +600 bonus midway the scenario.

just rush your leader to the city's nearest keep and spam water elementals near water. Since they have cold attacks just aim anything but sky/hurricanes for a 70% chance to deal extreme damage.
regnak

Post by regnak »

Zolm wrote:iirc you cannot kill enemy leaders on 4. On normal each of them get around 1300 gold total, starting with ~700 and with a +600 bonus midway the scenario.

just rush your leader to the city's nearest keep and spam water elementals near water. Since they have cold attacks just aim anything but sky/hurricanes for a 70% chance to deal extreme damage.

Ok now that I reread this I think you meant air elementals. However as I could only effectively use 4 water elementals(trying to keep my allies out of the water in front of the castle) it worked out ok. I managed to keep my healers alive this time and ended up with about 3x as many surviving L2s as before including 2 Udines. In short your advice was very helpful thanks!
regnak

Post by regnak »

Ok the campaign has been more manageable and I just finished Legend of the Water dragon with 874 gold. I didn't get an early finish bonus even though I finished early but whatever. The thing is that it said 40% gold carryover which would be 349.6 or 350 gold extra. However I started the next scenario with 300 gold total. Where did all my money go? :augh: :augh: :augh:

editing to add: Looking on the previous page it looks like the gold is part of the bug with this scenario I didn't know about sorry.
regnak

Post by regnak »

Now that I have been unable to advance in the campaign due to the bug I realized something. I really like this storyline. It is one of the best I have played.
Zolm

Post by Zolm »

Unless it's something broken in the engine there's no way to get stuck due bugs on BfW, since it's all there to edit. if you're having problems because the gold bug type in :debug and then :gold 350 or any amount you wish. This way you can bypass the gold bug you mentioned. After it type :nodebug to resume playing as normal.
regnak

Post by regnak »

Well I couldn't recall my army and 3 of my heroes were also missing. However someone helped me out with that.