Campaign: The Flight of Drakes ~v1.1.3~

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

NoQ

Re: Campaign: The Flight of Drakes

Post by NoQ »

Made another little update, the new version is called v1.1.1 because i skipped v1.1.0 because i accidentally uploaded it and then noticed it had a bug (it stayed around for a few minutes).

The point of the major update is that, since i'm having a half-baked sequel, i wanted to polish the plot a little bit; at least i wanted to make sure
Spoiler:
There were also a few updates to the dialogues, to make the future story more consistent, and fix for the off-by-on-pixel error in the poster :oops:

Not sure it was worth it to bump the thread, just keeping a changelog (:
The Flight of Drakes, Only Death Behind, ??? (not yet sure how the third part will be called).
NoQ

Re: Campaign: The Flight of Drakes ~v1.1.2~

Post by NoQ »

me wrote:i'm having a half-baked sequel
I hate quoting myself, but i think this is now more or less complete: here.
Yay. Took a while. Anyway, this campaign was updated to v1.1.2 to make necessary references.
The Flight of Drakes, Only Death Behind, ??? (not yet sure how the third part will be called).
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Played through The Flight of Drakes on difficulty EASY.
A enjoyable campaign, very good ideas, and story changes.
Short campaign, with just a few units on small maps.
Good story, wonderful small maps.
I really love your maps, they are indeed beautiful. :D

Though I don't like playing Drakes, I have enjoyed this campaign.

Only point of criticism here is about balancing.
Some scenarios here are definitely to hard for difficulty level EASY.
While your new campaign Only Death Behind is rather too easy on EASY, this one is rather too hard.
Maybe not a bad idea to rework the campaigns difficulty for this campaign.
Scenario 1 is OK.
Scenarios 2, 3, and 4 are imho too hard on EASY (especially scenario 4).
Scenarios 6, 7 and 9 are OK (scenario 9 could probably be a bit harder, cause its the final scenario)
Scenarios 5 and 8 are talk only.

And also here no laurel wreath for finishing the campaign. :(
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
NoQ

Post by NoQ »

Bah i just marked this as 'finished' :D Will see what i can do. I usually only check the hard difficulty, to make sure it is beatable at all, and people don't get disappointed by some unbeatable scenario :oops: anyway, i'm quite clueless on how well do i play (multiplayer and campaign are too different), so i'm damn greatful for any such analysis (:
NoQ

Post by NoQ »

Nerfed some enemies and buffed some allies on scenarios 2..4 for v1.1.3. Now on the server, and laurel wreath is finally fixed too!
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Just saw, that you have a character named Neollyn the red. how did you came up for the Neollyn? Did you use a fantasy name generator? :D Just working on a campaign, and one of my heros is named like that. :lol2:
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
NoQ

Re: Campaign: The Flight of Drakes ~v1.1.3~

Post by NoQ »

Lol :) No, i just looked through default names and tried to come up with a name in a similar style that doesn't accidentally already exist in the list :oops: Neollyn sounded sort of cool, as if the person wearing this name is a free-thinker, often doing amazing stuff by going against traditions (like befriending a drake, or figuring out the location of a magical artifact via three-point interpolation :geek: ) yet looks humble and phlegmatic (the last syllable gives this sort of feeling, not sure why).

I guess there's no problem if we have name collisions. I remember i noticed that there's a character called Lieutenant Fred (a collision with ODB) in `The Devil's Flute' a few hours before releasing ODB :doh: and decided to leave it as is (both minor characters, and their role is sort of the same).
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

This campaign was very enjoyable.
It's full of humor, and the missions are short and interesting. I played the entire campaign without stopping. even if it's not that big of campaign, it's worth playing.

Once again, I'd like to credit your humor in the campaign. Was very funny, and I liked a lot of the missions. I didn't find myself bored once.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

(campaign v 1.1.3, Wesnoth 1.12.0, Normal Difficulty)

This was a fun campaign, but I found it to be rather unbalanced, with some scenarios very difficult and others too easy.

01 Flying free: Very easy; the tiny map allows you to completely wipe out the saurians during the day. (I liked the funny dialogue at beginning.)

02 Northern ruins: A nice challenge and good opportunity to level a bunch of drakes.

03 Old friend: Pretty easy; just wait until day and wipe out the orcs.

04 Emerald forest: Pretty difficult. Also, I had to restart because the sky drake was killed from a surprise archer ambush. I think there should be some kind of subtle warning to be careful of the villages; otherwise you would naturally use your loyal sky drake for village grabbing and getting ambushed by 4 elvish archers is basically an automatic game over.
(The similar ambush in scenario 2 also surprised me but in that case since it was close I was able to send reinforcements over soon enough).

05 Siege of eastbridge: Very difficult; took several tries. The human leader suicides against orcs whenever they are in range resulting in him getting killed the next turn; there isn't much you can do as even with drakes nearby the orcs will target the weak leader. Either he should stay in his keep or the objectives should be changed to allow his death.
I also had to restart due to the loyal sky drake getting killed by the ghosts/wraiths which appeared on second night since they appear and move on the same turn (I did appreciate that you gave a warning though). I ended up rushing the orc leader and killing him before the second night.

06 The promised place: Extremely difficult, but one of the most enjoyable scenarios because of the huge map and the challenge. The biggest difficulty was the spiders since you don't have any units which cure poison and melee is the only way to deal reliable damage.

07 Storm and fire: This scenario is way too easy; it could be won without recruiting/recalling a single unit, as you are basically given an army at the start and the enemies have almost no gold. Additionally, the gryphon leader can easily be killed on turn 1 before it gets the chance to recruit.
I think to make this more balanced, either make the map larger and give the enemies more gold, or simply disallow recalling (because your army couldn't retreat in time in the previous scenario) which would effectively make the previous scenario the final one and this would just be a sort of epilogue.

General:
I had an issue throughout the campaign where the silver mage always had an "image not found" picture in the hex underneath his sprite.
The dialogue was funny and entertaining although it's perhaps a bit too colloquial for drakes.

Thanks for your hard work on this campaign!