It was suggested to talk about a campain...

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

goerge

It was suggested to talk about a campain...

Post by goerge »

when you are going to make it so as to make it more likly to fit in with the rest of wesnoth history, be more likly to become a main line campain, you can ask to use others wml, etc..
I intend to create a campain where you play monsters. The basic layout is:
1: Leave island because of linches minions. There are preferably some more islands nereby the first one.
2: Reach main land, fight orcs, trolls, humans, elves, etc. for land to live on.
3: Return after defeting a host of sarons to island and defete evil linch.
4: Live happily ever after.
That's the basic plot if you need more details let me know. The year, etc. don't to much concern me though it would be nice if it were sometime after the northern_rebirth.
I should find all the wml I could want in the northern_rebirth though the stun code would need to come from deep_water along with the cracken and perhaps some fish units and I should really like it if I could use the eye stalk from the ummm... horse campain and I think that the mud crawlers splitting code is under_the_burning_suns spacific. I trust that the core is ok for anyone to use.
Can I use the above listed code and pictures?
Oh I almost for got to mention that I intend it to be an expert campain.
Hulavuta

Re: It was suggested to talk about a campain...

Post by Hulavuta »

I am having a little trouble following, but let me see if I get it.
I should find all the wml I could want in the northern_rebirth though the stun code would need to come from deep_water along with the cracken and perhaps some fish units and I should really like it if I could use the eye stalk from the ummm... horse campain and I think that the mud crawlers splitting code is under_the_burning_suns spacific. I trust that the core is ok for anyone to use.
Can I use the above listed code and pictures?
Oh I almost for got to mention that I intend it to be an expert campain.
If you are asking if you can use bits of code or unit sprites from other Wesnoth campaigns, then the answer is yes, by all means. There's no rule against this, and it is actually very common to do so.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
goerge

Post by goerge »

Yes, that's what I mean for the second part. The first part was to discuss if my campain would be compatible to be in the main wesnoth release.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Okay, I'll tell you what I think about the first question. You will not like it.
Not really kind words inside:
Shorter version of the above: You are overambitious.
goerge

Post by goerge »

Dugi wrote:Okay, I'll tell you what I think about the first question. You will not like it.
Not really kind words inside:
Shorter version of the above: You are overambitious.

All of what you said is most true. I am some what limited in the way of intranet that's why I can't keep good corospondence. Concerning the stupidity of my campain I must object, I don't think it's boring (though I may be over ambitious,) and in the end all the campains sum up to some combination of "defeat all enemy leaders" and "escape all enemy leaders" etc. I do have a propisition though, I'll post my campain when I'm done with it and if you play it and don't like it (even a little,) :cry: I'll never introduce it into to main line and I will stop developing/stabelizing it. Good idea? ^_^
alluton

Post by alluton »

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=16233
This is more specific answer regarding to mainline.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@goerge
Being forced to visit only once per a time is better than doing so deliberately, as I thought you do. Once per two weeks should be enough to maintain a campaign, what matters more is that you would have to keep the frequency for years.

I strongly object the statement that all campaigns are defeat all enemy leaders or escape or enemy leaders. This might be right for some campaigns, but might not be right for others. I have made a campaign with over 100 scenarios, and I can tell you that less than 20% of them are defeat all enemy leaders. Fleeing is pretty rare too.
There are many other possibilities for scenarios, like:
Reach the xxx border of the map, fighting some enemies, but you have to advance, not to annihilate them
Reach the xxx border of the dungeon, with dungeon exploration, finding enemies and treasures
Reach the xxx border of the map, an RPG-styled passage through randomly generated encounters with enemies, a huge map with various terrains, hidden caves,...
Defeat the enemy leader (leader, not leaders; this is quite a difference because it's 1vs1)
Defeat the enemy leader, you don't have to spend a lot of time killing the unimportant leaders that dwell far away and recruit nothing important
Defeat all enemies (enemies are not recruiting, just coming from somewhere)
Find a secret location (scouting/survival)
Sneak somewhere (something in the style of killing Brurbar in Legend of Wesmere), maybe having to avoid detection
Catch a fleeing enemy
Defend for several turns
Defeat the big boss (Invasion from the Unknown style)

Your story is contains two events and a summary of its storyline is come-fight-fight-fight-return-fight-fight-win, no place to insert interesting kinds of scenarios.
I do have a propisition though, I'll post my campain when I'm done with it and if you play it and don't like it (even a little, :wink: ) I'll never introduce it into to main line and I will stop developing/stabelizing it. Good idea? ^_^
Nope. I didn't like many mainline scenarios, because may of them were just of the fight-fight-fight style. And every single campaign has elements somebody dislikes. If you post there and I will like it, I'll apologise, this is my suggestion.

Listen, get your story revised by somebody before you write anything, or you will probably waste your time.

P.S. I am not important around here, just a guy with a thousand posts, so my opinions are not representative by any means.
goerge

Post by goerge »

Dugi wrote:@goerge
Being forced to visit only once per a time is better than doing so deliberately, as I thought you do. Once per two weeks should be enough to maintain a campaign, what matters more is that you would have to keep the frequency for years.

I strongly object the statement that all campaigns are defeat all enemy leaders or escape or enemy leaders. This might be right for some campaigns, but might not be right for others. I have made a campaign with over 100 scenarios, and I can tell you that less than 20% of them are defeat all enemy leaders. Fleeing is pretty rare too.
There are many other possibilities for scenarios, like:
Reach the xxx border of the map, fighting some enemies, but you have to advance, not to annihilate them
Reach the xxx border of the dungeon, with dungeon exploration, finding enemies and treasures
Reach the xxx border of the map, an RPG-styled passage through randomly generated encounters with enemies, a huge map with various terrains, hidden caves,...
Defeat the enemy leader (leader, not leaders; this is quite a difference because it's 1vs1)
Defeat the enemy leader, you don't have to spend a lot of time killing the unimportant leaders that dwell far away and recruit nothing important
Defeat all enemies (enemies are not recruiting, just coming from somewhere)
Find a secret location (scouting/survival)
Sneak somewhere (something in the style of killing Brurbar in Legend of Wesmere), maybe having to avoid detection
Catch a fleeing enemy
Defend for several turns
Defeat the big boss (Invasion from the Unknown style)

Your story is contains two events and a summary of its storyline is come-fight-fight-fight-return-fight-fight-win, no place to insert interesting kinds of scenarios.
I could not remember all the types of capain objectives so I wrote an etc in there.
I actually like the defeat all enemy leaders type, I like it even more if I have poison or something to sick on them. I don't like having to rescue some one or deal with a whole bunch of enemies as they are generally level3s as for "sneaking" I get real sick of that real quick. Defending is not that bad,as for the big boss defeat type I've never played one of those. I guess it's a personal preferance thing.
I like modifying traits, cool wepons, little houses provided that I have lots of poisoners, and that kinda thing. The exact purpose of my scenario is uniportant provided that I have gold, keep, and some thing to kill, or poison, or slow, etc.
"Lets GRUU them!" "They have blade, that's great, ware is my wraith?" "The point of poisoners is to poison, not to live." "You think you're though eh? Let's slow you and see how great you are." "Poisoners eh? Let's see how mutch they like my berserkers!"
Sutch are the things I think while playing wesnoth. I'm telling you this so that you understand my ideas of a campain. Of course a good story and charecters are just as important but I think you get the idea. Good story, cool traits/wepons, and enemys.
If you disagree you will not hurt my fealings, they have 100% imunity to arcane damage. Who knows maybe we could combine our ideas, as they both are opposite and good, and produce a masterful campain.
Finally, the over view I gave of my campain when I started this post was breif, and as you noted uninteresting. I have yet to finish writing up a complete story and am not going to start the campain till after new years at least. I am and was trying to get everything in order so that I would not have to wait around to figure out how to test a scenario, or write up a units cfg file, etc.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I actually like the defeat all enemy leaders type,
Maybe, but defeat all enemy leaders forever is as far as I know considered too frequent and therefore boring.
I don't like having to rescue some one or deal with a whole bunch of enemies as they are generally level3s as for "sneaking" I get real sick of that real quick.
One of those in a campaign is usually enough, I agree with this, but there are still many other possibilities.
the big boss defeat type I've never played one of those
You haven't played Invasion of the Unknown? The best campaign I have played ever? I strongly recommend you to give it a try, the beginning is the defeat all enemies style, but there are many and many scenarios with interesting objectives.
I like modifying traits, cool wepons, little houses provided that I have lots of poisoners, and that kinda thing. The exact purpose of my scenario is uniportant provided that I have gold, keep, and some thing to kill, or poison, or slow, etc.
Modifying traits, weapons, and such stuff... seems you might like my campaign, there is a lot of modifying, and poison, and slow, and lots of other new weapon specials and abilities.
Good story, cool traits/wepons, and enemys.
You were speaking about a monster campaign. Monsters don't carry weapons... and the the quality of the story is still a big unknown.
I have yet to finish writing up a complete story
Better finish the writing the story and discuss it before writing anything, or you might end up writing something uselessly or rewriting it. I have prepared the story for the later parts of my campaign for over a year before I started coding it, and changed it several times completely before and during the process.
goerge

Post by goerge »

I'm beginning to think that I should indeed spend more time preparing; not just the story, but also I need to learn to draw things on a computer. I also had hoped to include, to some extent, new music, and I'm not very good at working with the programs that do that. So I intend to learn some more before I try to make my campain.
Until I become better at these things, goodby.