For Power (0.6.5.3)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

James_The_Invisible

Re: For Power (0.6.3.1)

Post by James_The_Invisible »

What's the best way to send you a archive of the scenario files?
You can post the modified files in this thread or if you are familiar with git(hub), you can create a pull request.
I changed the filters to Clare_Silver Mage / Clare_Red Mage rather than just Silver Mage and it works now.
Good catch! I fixed it my working version and will upload it with next release. But I have no idea what it will come out ...
DarrenG

Post by DarrenG »

I just played 0.6.3.1 with Wesnoth 1.13.4 on linux mint 17.3
Great campaign, really enjoyed it. Although I tried to kill the necromancer in The Price of Revenge and looking through this thread I think I may have missed out on a lot, so I may go back and replay that. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that on Orcish Scouts the game exited abruptly the turn after I attacked the orcs. I got a message not to let them escape, and then when I ended my turn wesnoth dissapeard and I was back to my desktop.
James_The_Invisible

DarrenG wrote:Great campaign, really enjoyed it.
Glad to hear it.
Although I tried to kill the necromancer in The Price of Revenge
You meant The Path of Revenge, right? And well, Haldar (the necromancer) is actually your ally so you are not supposed (or able) to kill him. He saved you from (permanent) death and stayed to help you to kill the orcish assassin.
Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that on Orcish Scouts the game exited abruptly the turn after I attacked the orcs. I got a message not to let them escape, and then when I ended my turn wesnoth dissapeard and I was back to my desktop.
I was able to reproduce it and am working on it.

@ anyone interested
rogul sent a pull request with some dialogues improvements. It is going to be a part of next release.
DarrenG

Post by DarrenG »

James_The_Invisible wrote:You meant The Path of Revenge, right?
Sorry, Yes. I actually meant FP1-The Teacher.gz
James_The_Invisible wrote:And well, Haldar (the necromancer) is actually your ally so you are not supposed (or able) to kill him.
I wasn't able to kill him and he let me leave. But the story gave me a choice and "You are the evil. I have no other option than kill you!" was the default choice. (see screenshot). Since the thieves had warned me about him it seemed the better choice. And I killed the orcish assassin on my own. I got lucky and levelled up during the battle. I was a bit surprised to read later on in the campaign that I had somehow become a lich without my noticing it! ;) Perhaps Haldar should have killed me rather than letting me leave? Or word the choice something like "I'd rather die than accept help from you!" to gently steer people towards the path the story wanted.

Also in FP1-Ghosts
Clare: "Come to the world of livings." should be "Come to the world of the living."
Confussed Spirit: "Why am I here?" should be Confused Spirit.
Clare: "You are here to help me fighting orcs." should be "You are here to help me fight orcs."
Hateful spirit: "I hated the orcs. I will help you, lady." might be better as "I hate orcs. I will help you, lady."
Haldar: "Nice job. I have taught you most of things that I know. You are ready for your orc." might be better as "Nice job. I have taught you most of what I know. You are ready for your orc."

Haldar: "These trolls found a path to this cave. It will be a good exam of your new abilities. Kill them all with your servants." should be "These trolls found a path to this cave. It will be a good test of your new abilities. Kill them all with your servants." It might also be better as "Trolls? They must have found a path to this cave. Never mind, it will also be a good test of your new abilities. Kill them all with your servants."
Attachments
the teacher choice.png
James_The_Invisible

I actually meant FP1-The Teacher.gz ... I wasn't able to kill him and he let me leave.
Oh, there. Well, you should not kill him for story reasons (he is going to have an important role in scenario The Path of Revenge). And he has his reasons to let you go (it will be revealed near the end of Chapter 6 which is not written yet).
And I killed the orcish assassin on my own.
It was never meant to be this way (if you did not become Haldar's apprentice) but thanks to wrong filters you could kill him at your own. This is fixed for next version.
I was a bit surprised to read later on in the campaign that I had somehow become a lich without my noticing it!
Well, it is not said directly in the scenario where it happens but you should see animation of Clare dying and appearing again. Plus her unit type is called Preserved lich.
Clare: "Come to the world of livings." should be "Come to the world of the living."
Confussed Spirit ... should be Confused Spirit.
Clare: "You are here to help me fighting orcs." should be "You are here to help me fight orcs."
Hateful spirit: "I hated the orcs. I will help you, lady." might be better as "I hate orcs. I will help you, lady."
Haldar: "Nice job. I have taught you most of things that I know. You are ready for your orc." might be better as "Nice job. I have taught you most of what I know. You are ready for your orc."
Changed it in my working version and will upload it soon.
Haldar: "These trolls found a path to this cave. It will be a good exam of your new abilities. Kill them all with your servants." should be "These trolls found a path to this cave. It will be a good test of your new abilities. Kill them all with your servants." It might also be better as "Trolls? They must have found a path to this cave. Never mind, it will also be a good test of your new abilities. Kill them all with your servants."
Sounds good, also did it in my working version.

@rogul
Your pr is in. I did only a few changes which I commented on GitHub. It will be appear in next version. Thank you again for your contribution.
DarrenG

Post by DarrenG »

Ok, I went back and replayed FP1 choosing to follow the evil path in FP1-The Teacher.gz. However FP1-The Necromancer.gz crashed Wesnoth after Lemyr says "You are right. So to our village".

When I start FP2 it says "You did not complete previous chapter so you get a few level 2 units to recall and can choose some advancements for heroes."

I found a few problems in the dialogue. Is this way to share them better than the way I listed them in the message body previously? Or would they be better tucked away under a spoiler tag so I don't clutter the screen?
Attachments
FP1-The_Necromancer typos.txt
(938 Bytes) Downloaded 276 times
James_The_Invisible

Firstly, sorry for not replying sooner. I started using new computer with a completely different os (I went from Windows XP to Ubuntu) so I needed some time to move stuff and to get used to the differences. Now I have Wesnoth installed and I am able to somehow use git here so I will have a look at the crash.
About the message at start of Chapter 2, I might have fixed it in my working version. I discovered that I was using a wrong variable to determine whether previous chapter was completed. But it is of course possible that this issue have another cause (e. g. the crash at the end of previous chapter).
I corrected the typos which you mentioned in my working version.
DarrenG

Post by DarrenG »

James_The_Invisible wrote:I went from Windows XP to Ubuntu
A good move :D
FP2:Return of Troubles.gz suggestions:
James_The_Invisible

All your suggestion are in and will appear in next version. I also added you to credits. Thank you.
and started to disturb the rest of the dead. > Ambiguous. rest as in "more" or the rest that belongs to the dead?
The latter. He is raising dead bodies from the swamp so they can no longer rest in peace.
<invalid WML found> [modifications][advance] is deprecated, use [advancement] instead.
I am aware of it but it should be harmless. I am going to "fix" it when next stable series (probably 1.14) comes out.

@anyone
I think that scenarios Flight, The Earl, Another Orcish Assault, The Last Battle (Chapter 1), Return of Troubles, The Underground (Chapter 2), End of Peace, Back in Underground (Chapter 3), Searching Adventures, The Saurians, Mal Ravanal (Chapter 4) could use better names. Any suggestions?
DarrenG

Post by DarrenG »

James_The_Invisible wrote:
DarrenG wrote:and started to disturb the rest of the dead. > Ambiguous. rest as in "more" or the rest that belongs to the dead?
The latter. He is raising dead bodies from the swamp so they can no longer rest in peace.
I thought that was probably what it meant. :eng: English is a mongrel language. One version comes from old English, similar to the German Rast. The other version comes from Old French Rester "to remain". In English they look the same but have different meanings. If you wish to remove the ambiguity there are a few options.
  • you could use an unambiguous synonym eg "and started to disturb the sleep of the dead."
  • reword it to show it is being used in the possessive sense eg "and started to disturb the the dead's rest."
  • use it with an adjective. eg "and started to disturb the peaceful rest of the dead."
FP2: the northern alliance suggestions:
I've been painfully typing these suggestions in as I play the scenario. I've only just realised that I can see all the dialogues at
/home/darren/.local/share/wesnoth/1.13/data/add-ons/For_Power
In future I'll just copy the dialogue from there, which will save me a lot of typing! :oops:
James_The_Invisible

About the rest of the dead: I replaced it with "the dead's rest" but "the sleep of the dead" sounds better to me. I am going to use it.
About your other suggestions: I will use all of one, except Amiwen's line about dwarves and humans. It is not on GitHub yet, I will push it later with more changes.
DarrenG

Post by DarrenG »

FP2:03_more_orcs suggestions:
James_The_Invisible

speaker=Clare
message=_"It is good to see you again, friends." > acceptable, but "It is good to see you again, my friends." is more common
Fine.
speaker=Clare
message=_"She is Amiwen, we met a few days ago. She does not talk so much but her powers are amazing. I find her very kind. Amiwen, these are my friends Merissa and Tinry." > "She doesn't talk much but her powers are amazing."
Clare says "does not" on purpose but I guess that "so" can be omitted.
speaker=Clare
message=_"Alas we can stop you here and now." > Alas is archaic and was used to express grief, pity, or concern, which doesn't seem appropriate?
Oh, right, it is kinda out of place here.
DarrenG

Post by DarrenG »

FP2:04_Audience_with_Menvan suggestions:
James_The_Invisible

This is a tough one. I only beat it on my fourth attempt.
Hmm, on which difficulty were you playing? I ask because he is stronger and has more hitpoints on normal and hard. Maybe he is too strong.
I uploaded your suggestion from last 3 days to GitHub and they will be in next version which should be released on Sunday.