For Power (0.6.5.3)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

James_The_Invisible

For Power (0.6.5.3)

Post by James_The_Invisible »

This is the feedback thread for For Power series. It is a multi part campaign. All chapters share the protagonist and some important characters. This is the tale of a young mage Clare and her path to power. It starts in the Northlands during The Age of Fear. Most of its scenarios take place in the Northlands but you will also get to visit Wesnoth and lands to east from it.

A short time ago, Clare completed her studies at the Great Academy and returned to her village. After some time of peace she must face orcs' assaults. She starts only with her childhood friend Lemyr and some fellow villagers but throughout the campaign, various kind of folks will join her (both regular recruits and heroes). Over time, all heroes become more powerful and they will even have a lot of advancements. Though some of them will have to pay for it. After completing each chapter, your army is stored and is available in the next one but at certain points you lose some its parts (as the campaign lasts much longer than hundred years).

Chapters one to five are completed but may be unbalanced. There are also a few scenarios in Chapter 6. This add-on is available on 1.10, 1.11, 1.12, 1.13, 1.14, 1.16 server and GitHub. There are also two multiplayer scenarios here.
On GitHub you can check out all changes before they are released. You can too report there bugs or suggest changes.

Changelog can be found on GitHub. Screenshots
Known Issues
  1. In scenario Cave (Chapter 5), there is usually 1 bugged item which cannot be taken (it is named "Glitch"). I have no idea at the moment why it happens.
  2. It is not completed. I have plans for 5 more chapters but not so much time for this campaign. I hope to eventually write them.
  3. Maps and dialogues could use some improvements. I work on it when I can but patches are always welcome.
  4. Unit descriptions - that one of Dark Lord should be improved.
Also see: GitHub issues
Frequently asked question
Q: I can't find Tinry in Treasure Hunters. Where he is?
A: His coordinates are: x=2, y=3-14 (this is random). He will appear only if Merissa reaches that location.
Last edited by James_The_Invisible on April 23rd, 2022, 11:56 am, edited 82 times in total.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Re: For Power

Post by octalot »

On FP1 scenario "Return", the ally AI seems suicidal, even if given orders.

In the attached savegame, I've set side 5 to be "defensive", and on the current turn also set it to protect side 2. However, Rheran will still move northwards from 30,13; a suicidal attack against side 3's guarded castle.

In the previous scenario, I went to the signpost fairly early, ending on turn 8 without trying to kill either enemy leader.

For Power version="0.2.9"
Wesnoth version 1.11.1
Using Debian's Wesnoth packaging which makes installing the default campaigns optional. Only A Tale Of Two Brothers and For Power are installed.
Attachments
FP1-Return_Turn_7_suicidal_AI.gz
(36.89 KiB) Downloaded 990 times
Currently updating the SurvivalXtreme Collection, and the SXC Pressure scenario. That's about a mermish necromancer, who's just found out that her Tentacles Of The Deep have been nerfed.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

I tried out your campaign for a few scenarios. The map could do with being slightly smaller, as it takes too long to get to the fight, but when you get there it's a good, fun challenge to try to fight with level 0s and mages. The second scenario was way too easy, though. You can send Lemyr to the signpost and he won't get attacked, nor will Clare. Level 4 is ok, but it seems like I'm just there to finish off what my allies can't quite kill. Maybe giving the player a limited amount of spearmen to recruit, or control of the riders, could help. There's a few errors in the writing. If you want I can rewrite it for you. Other than what I've mentioned the campaign seems fairly good, and as I said - mages and level 0s as your only units make it a real challenge when there's no AI nearby to help.
James_The_Invisible

Thank you both for playing the campaign a giving me a feedback.
Flameslash wrote:The second scenario was way too easy, though.
Yes, it is very easy. I did not have so much ideas how to make it harder. Do you have any suggestions?

About scenario 4
The ally AI is really suicidal. I am trying to fix it but without results. Maybe I will give the player full control of this side.
Flameslash wrote:There's a few errors in the writing. If you want I can rewrite it for you.
Thank you. My english is not very good.
octalot wrote:In the previous scenario, I went to the signpost fairly early, ending on turn 8 without trying to kill either enemy leader.
You were not very fast :D. You can reach the signpost at turn 5 if you do not mind that Lemyr is attacked.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

To make scenario 2 harder you could move the signpost somewhere the enmeshed can beat Lemyr to. I won't be able to help with writing until Wednesday due to Internet problems.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

I enjoyed the campaign (I played the path including scenario 09a_Bandits). Had to use debug to control the AI on scenario 4.

In the scenarios that use map The_Village, the orcs always set up camp in the same place. I suggest having the camps move and change size in different scenarios, both for variety and for difficulty.

Part 1 Scenario 2 could have a couple of wolf-rider scouts start near the signpost to slow Lemyr.

Part 2 scenario 4 seemed very odd. I think it should be possible to win by not attacking, or by running to the edge of the map.
Currently updating the SurvivalXtreme Collection, and the SXC Pressure scenario. That's about a mermish necromancer, who's just found out that her Tentacles Of The Deep have been nerfed.
James_The_Invisible

octalot wrote:In the scenarios that use map The_Village, the orcs always set up camp in the same place. I suggest having the camps move and change size in different scenarios, both for variety and for difficulty.
It is a good idea and easy to do.
Flameslash wrote:you could move the signpost somewhere the enmeshed can beat Lemyr to.
Ok, I will move the signpost to the north, closer to a river.
octalot wrote:Part 1 Scenario 2 could have a couple of wolf-rider scouts start near the signpost to slow Lemyr.
It is a nice idea but I prefer the Flameslah's one.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

Did I actually type enmeshed? Ugh, I hate autocorrect. Anyway, my internet got fixed earlier than expected so I'll be able to help with writing now. You could use octalot's idea as well as mine, but you would probably have to code the wolf riders to stay in the area and I don't know if that's possible.
Campaign Description:
Intro Screens:

EDIT: New Chapter I description and introduction.
James_The_Invisible

Version 0.2.10 is on the add-ons server. The changelog for this version follows:

Code: Select all

- Side 2's gold from scenario Flight is carried over to Return (Chapter 1).
- In scenario Flight the signpost has been moved to the north, closer to a river.
- The player has full control of side 5 in scenario Return.
- Improved writing in Chapter 1 (done by Flameslash, thank you).
In next version (unless it will be only bux fixes release) you can expect two new scenarios in Chapter 2.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

I worked on a bit more of the writing, not sure if you want speech for all of the conditions I gave but better safe than sorry.
Stuff:
James_The_Invisible

I am sorry for a long delay. I was busy with other things. But I had made some progress and want to let you know about it. I had created one next scenario in Chapter 2 and the second one is nearly completed. It misses only one scene and intro story.

to Flameslash: Thank you. I really like the dialogs you had written. I will use nearly all of them.
James_The_Invisible

I finished the second scenario so version 0.2.11 is on the add-ons server. The changelog for this version follows:

- improved writing in Chapter 1
- new death speeches in Chapter 1
- two new scenarios in chapter two
James_The_Invisible

Version 0.2.12 is on the add-ons server. I checked scenarios in Chapter 1 and made some changes here. Firstly, most of the scenarios used to have too long time limit. I think that they are not so hard so I shorted the time limit. Secondly, some scenarios missed time over dialogs. Fixed. Also I created 3 next scenarios in Chapter 2.

The changelog for this version follows:

- shorted time limit in Chapter 1
- added time over dialogs in Chapter 1
- three new scenarios in chapter two
Last edited by James_The_Invisible on August 6th, 2014, 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
James_The_Invisible

Version 0.3.0 is on the add-ons server. I finally completed Chapter 2 and fixed scenarios 9 and 10. In addition, I uploaded the campaign to 1.9/1.10 add-ons server.

The complete changelog for this version follows:

- chapter 2 is completed
- fixed scenarios 9 and 10 in Chapter 2
- added time over dialog in scenario 9 Chapter 2
- increased time limit in scenario 10 Chapter 2
- Clare gains new amla line at the end of chapter two
edwardspec

Post by edwardspec »

Hi, great story and interesting campaign. LotI-inspired, isn't it? :)

A tiny bugreport:
chapter 2, "Talks with Ralenyth": if the last undead is destroyed using redeem attack, there is no victory.