Guide to UMC campaigns / eras

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Inky
Forum Moderator

Re: Guide to UMC campaigns / eras

Post by Inky »

The guide to campaigns doesn't seem very useful to me because usually all of that info (number of scenarios, difficulty, type of gameplay etc.) is already included in the campaign's description on the add-on server, so maintaining the wiki page would be a lot of work for little benefit.

The guide to eras portion does seem helpful though, since era descriptions on the add-on server are pretty vague.
taptap

Post by taptap »

I wonder, the added benefit is small, but knowing what gameplay is like and balance / completion status and the fact that it is finished enough that it merited inclusion can be somewhat useful for anyone looking for something to play. It also looks like the obvious place to link to e.g. your IftU walkthrough on the wiki (that was an orphan when I last looked). For eras I just look at the www.wesnoth.org/units/1.12 admittedly. I used to hope that it and the adjacent review page generate more interest, but as is we can probably archive it as the 1.12 edition once 1.14 comes out without continuation.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Discussion about updating the guide for the 1.14 release has started in https://r.wesnoth.org/t48054 (the Minor introductory nitpicks concerning website thread.) I'm currently planning on changing each "Status" line to "Status 1.12", and adding a "Status 1.14".
taptap

Post by taptap »

octalot wrote: May 1st, 2018, 12:23 pm Discussion about updating the guide for the 1.14 release has started in https://r.wesnoth.org/t48054 (the Minor introductory nitpicks concerning website thread.) I'm currently planning on changing each "Status" line to "Status 1.12", and adding a "Status 1.14".
Please go ahead. Best practice imho would be to move everything to a subpage 1.12 and start w/ a fresh page for 1.14. Just as we did in the 1.10 -> 1.12 transition.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

taptap wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 1:01 pm keeping stats for multiple BfW versions on the same page looks like maintenance cancer to me and defeats the main purpose of easy information on current campaigns (and aggregating an archive for old versions just by keeping the current page up to date) instead of another unwieldy museum page absolutely no one would feel an urge to update. It is much neater to move everything to a subpage and clean out the main page. The archive for 1.12 is one click away, yet the main page isn't filled with old stuff- When a campaign is ported, it isn't much more than copy-paste the old entry + new version number + changes. I answered in the thread as well, but whatever.
I see your point, and (unless someone else comments) will remove the 1.12 parts from the current page.

However, for the 1.12 archive page, the options would then be either to copy as-was (before my edits), or to copy it as-is (including the 1.14 status). I'm in favour of copying it as-is, so that it contains porting hints for 1.12 campaigns that haven't yet been ported to 1.14.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Updated the Orbivm entries after uploading to 1.14. Good work on the clean-up.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
egallager

Post by egallager »

So, once 1.16 releases, will the current 1.14 content be split off into a new archive page?
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

egallager wrote: August 19th, 2021, 5:39 pm So, once 1.16 releases, will the current 1.14 content be split off into a new archive page?
If you want to take over maintenance of that page, please do. While I'm still doing bugfixes on the engine, I'm not playing the game much so haven't been keeping up with the add-ons.