The Black Cross of Aleron (formerly Besieged Druids)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kanzil

Re: Besieged Druids campaign

Post by Kanzil »

The leader one. Some drake names: Ryrthem, Est'kal, Falkor, Karragr, Mirras, Ko'saltha, Oharesi, Kogbaror, Urorchaur.
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Did you want me to start on easy difficulty?

And I agree about the leader starting as level three making it overpowered.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

You can start with whichever difficulty you want. :) If there's a good chance that I might change the leader back, it may be pointless to start on easy; on the other hand, starting on easy could prove that it's not overpowered after all, so I dunno. I haven't tried playing through the campaign since these changes (last playthrough was roughly on 0.4).
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

I'll go ahead and start with easy, just to go in order. (A little OCD never hurt anybody, right?)
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Faerie_Storm

Post by Faerie_Storm »

I'll test it on hard.
Sneezy

Post by Sneezy »

Hi-- playing on BfW 1.10.0, campaign ver. 1.0.0, Medium difficulty, on win2k SP4 platform.

Played first 6 scenarios on ver. 0.3, and knew I'd made some mistakes, so backed up and restarted after upgrading to 1.0.0. I'm just now starting Along the Coast, but thought I'd pass along a couple of comments.

The behavior of the potions is a nice improvement. Not all units need it, and now the player decides who gets it.

I like the improvements you made to the map for Watery Tunnels. Also, the surprise shows up early, and there is now sufficient room for a melee. There are still some choke points, but this version feels much better. The placement of the necklace is better now, too.
Spoiler:
Things are proceeding pretty well so far. The mix of characters is interesting, and the random traits on the initiates is an nice complication. Will send more comments later.
Regards,
--sneezy
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Sneezy wrote:
Spoiler:
In theory he should simply be able to leave the way he came in, and hexes outside that chamber should be shown as reachable when you select him (not necessarily in one turn, but still). If that's not the case, it's a bug which I'll have to fix; it's entirely possible that I could've messed up one of the coordinate changes in conjunction with implementing the new map.
Sneezy wrote:I'm just now starting Along the Coast, but thought I'd pass along a couple of comments.
I've had one person say that this scenario is too hard on Hard difficulty, so I'd like to hear other peoples' opinions on that (whatever the difficulty setting).
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Okay, sorry for the delay on balancing. Some comments on the first scenario:
Scenario 1:
Scenario 2:
Question:
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

I just finished the campaign & I love it! :D
TheScribe wrote:
Question:
Spoiler:
Nitpicking
Just some stuff I'm throwing at you, maybe you find some useful. :)

The trackmaps are pretty good, but I think with a little polishing they could look just as good as mainline (full screen, title, ornamental border).

Special faerie-glow: maybe bigger halo like MoL?

Goblins!!!: I missed some introduction of Erendor as this special character (victory condition).

Dank Tunnels: The vision felt peculiar, but maybe that was intended.

Along the coast: from Turn 12 a wml error occured which persisted until the end of the campaign:
<Invalid WML found> [scatter_units] not supported

Into the Dread Marsh: I had no turn 1??? And I somehow missed how Graktar (the neutral ally) became my not-to-let-die ally.

Reclaiming the Citadel: when I closed in, I thought the enemies were defending somewhat cleverly, but before that a large portion of them did useless running up and down north/south; although I did try to slowly encircle/choke, I don't know if this was intended. And I really missed some victory dialog. (Leader:"We killed everyone, let's rejoice & live happily ever after!" Bunch of faeries rejoice.)
Overall I thought it was a very nice playing experience, with a natural feeling flow of events; I'm not a fan of tomato surprises... It felt a tad too easy even for easy difficulty (but that's alright) and I think I had hundreds of gold too much on ~75% of scenarios. Next time I'll recruit more fresh Initiates earlier...
I have a cunning plan.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Elvish_Hunter on September 18th, 2012, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed [spoiler] tags
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

TheScribe wrote:
Spoiler:
Well, patient you. :wink:
I have a cunning plan.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

TheScribe wrote:Okay, sorry for the delay on balancing. Some comments on the first scenario:
Scenario 1:
Scenario 2:
Question:
Answers:
Nitpicking
nuorc wrote:Goblins!!!: I missed some introduction of Erendor as this special character (victory condition).
What do you mean?
nuorc wrote:Dank Tunnels: The vision felt peculiar, but maybe that was intended.
Sorry, what felt peculiar?
nuorc wrote:Along the coast: from Turn 12 a wml error occured which persisted until the end of the campaign:
Uh... that's not good, because if [scatter_units] wasn't working it implies you weren't facing undead in that scenario which would probably make it rather easier than it's supposed to be. Did you do any reloading in the scenario? Maybe the preload event is missing something.
nuorc wrote:Into the Dread Marsh: I had no turn 1??? And I somehow missed how Graktar (the neutral ally) became my not-to-let-die ally.
No turn 1 was intentional, but what do you mean by the second part? You didn't understand why he had to be kept alive?
nuorc wrote:And I really missed some victory dialog. (Leader:"We killed everyone, let's rejoice & live happily ever after!" Bunch of faeries rejoice.)
Yes, more of this would be very good. Incidentally, who did you fight in this last scenario?
nuorc wrote:Overall I thought it was a very nice playing experience, with a natural feeling flow of events; I'm not a fan of tomato surprises...
Should this be taken to mean that you didn't notice any, or that you're complaining that there are some?
nuorc wrote:I think I had hundreds of gold too much on ~75% of scenarios.
Okay, so I guess I need to figure out what do do about this... reducing gold carryover percentage a bit?
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Sorry for the late reply...
Nitpicking
nuorc wrote:Goblins!!!: I missed some introduction of Erendor as this special character (victory condition).
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:What do you mean?
I thought a little introduction would have been nice, if he's not a regular elf. Why do I lose if he dies?
nuorc wrote:Dank Tunnels: The vision felt peculiar, but maybe that was intended.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:Sorry, what felt peculiar?
The vision. :wink: It felt like units didn't have their regular sight sometimes, but instead like I had to advance a unit beyond x,y to see certain sections of the map.
nuorc wrote:Along the coast: from Turn 12 a wml error occured which persisted until the end of the campaign:
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:Uh... that's not good, because if [scatter_units] wasn't working it implies you weren't facing undead in that scenario which would probably make it rather easier than it's supposed to be. Did you do any reloading in the scenario? Maybe the preload event is missing something.
I might have reloaded on that scenario, I'm not sure. There were undead from the beginning...? When I watch the replay it gives errors from turn 10, I'm attaching it. Should there have been additional undead each time the message appeared? Also in later scenarios?
nuorc wrote:Graktar (the neutral ally) became my not-to-let-die ally.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:You didn't understand why he had to be kept alive?
Yes. (Maybe it was explained in an earlier scenario and I missed/forgot it...)
nuorc wrote:And I really missed some victory dialog. (Leader:"We killed everyone, let's rejoice & live happily ever after!" Bunch of faeries rejoice.)
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:Yes, more of this would be very good. Incidentally, who did you fight in this last scenario?
Hajak et. al.
nuorc wrote:Overall I thought it was a very nice playing experience, with a natural feeling flow of events; I'm not a fan of tomato surprises...
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:Should this be taken to mean that you didn't notice any, or that you're complaining that there are some?
I think it's fine as it is, didn't notice anything I'd consider tomato.
nuorc wrote:I think I had hundreds of gold too much on ~75% of scenarios.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:Okay, so I guess I need to figure out what do do about this... reducing gold carryover percentage a bit?
I'm not sure. In 2 or 3 scenarios it would have sucked to have less gold; also, if I was supposed to have more enemies due to the [scatter_units] issue, I might have needed more gold.

EDIT To make my comment a little more substantial I've just looked up my starting gold:
Spoiler:
But if I am the only one "complaining" about too much gold, don't bother... :)
Attachments
DruSi-Along_the_coast_replay.gz
(69.88 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
I have a cunning plan.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Scenario 3:
Spoiler: