Glenfire Forest

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gambrous

Glenfire Forest

Post by Gambrous »

I've been playing Wesnoth for many years and decided to try my hand at making a campaign roughly based on my book which is set in a fantasy world. Whilst this world doesn't have a name yet (many possibilities are in the mix) there are countries, the main country is called Glenfire Forest.

So I go on the Wesnoth website and find step by step guides to produce a basic campaign and scenario which i did using notepad. After completion I hurried onto Wesnoth to try out my campaign and was almost dying of excitement when I saw the campaign name on the screen, I clicked it to play and every time an error message appears. I was hoping someone could take a look at it and tell me where I went wrong. Just reply with an e-mail or pm me your e-mail and I'll send you the files. Thanks and I hope it can be solved.

Gambrous

ps, I wasn't sure where exactly to post this so I hope I got it right, if ot please can a moderator move it and pm me the way to get there.
lipk

Re: Glenfire Forest

Post by lipk »

Hmmm.

Do you realize that you can upload files here, too? Use the "Upload attachment" option.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

lipk wrote:Hmmm.

Do you realize that you can upload files here, too? Use the "Upload attachment" option.
Adding to this, you can upload all your files at once by copying them to a compresed(zipped) folder.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Gambrous

Post by Gambrous »

ok, thanks for the info, will post file. Bear in mind this is literally the minimum needed for the scenario and campaign as this is my first go at this.
Ty for the help and hope someone can set me straight.

Gambrous
Attachments
Defense_of_Glenfire_Forest.zip
here's everything so far (except the story board)
(2.65 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
perseo

Post by perseo »

I'm having a look at it. I'll tell you when finished.
First big errors:

Code: Select all

[textdomain]
    name="Defense_of_Glenfire_Forest"
    path="~add-ons/Defense_of_Glenfire_Forest"	
[/textdomain]

[campaign]
    #textdomain wesnoth-DoGF
    id=Defense_of_Glenfire_Forest
    name= _ "Defense of Glenfire Forest"
    abbrev= _ "DoGF"
    define=CAMPAIGN_DEFENSE_OF_GLENFIRE_FOREST
    icon="units/elves-wood/hero-melee-2.png
    image= "images/units/elves-wood/hero.png
    description= _ "Defend and repel the orcs invading Glenfire Forest"
    difficulties=EASY,NORMAL,HARD
    difficulty_descriptions={MENU_IMG_TXT2 "units/elves-wood/fighter.png~RC(magenta>red)" _"Fighter" _"(Simple)"} +
    ";*" + {MENU_IMG_TXT2 "units/elves-wood/hero.png~RC(magenta>red)" _"Hero" _"(Normal)"} +
    ";" + {MENU_IMG_TXT2 "units/elves-wood/champion.png~RC(magenta>red)" _"Champion" _"(Difficult)"}
	first_scenario=01_First_Sighting
[/campaign]

#ifdef CAMPAIGN_DEFENSE_OF_GLENFIRE_FOREST
{~add-ons/Defense_of_Glenfire_Forest/scenarios}
{~add-ons/Defense_of_Glenfire_Forest/maps}

[+units]
    {campaigns/Defense_of_Glenfire_Forest/units}
[/units]
#endif
You wrote something strange instead of ~add-ons/...
More mistakes: you repeated the one I told you above everytime you had to write the ubication of a folder.
Also you wrote "canrecruit-yes, instad of canrecruit=yes"
Also you wrote unit type=Commander, this is not the id of any existent unit, I've replaced it for Elvish Captain
Finally, the map was a piece of botching with a lot of incorrect terrain types: Did you do it with the map editor? I've corrected them.
I guess you should be more careful and try to understand better WML coz otherwise when you write more complex things you'll be in trouble.
See ya!
Attachments
Defense_of_Glenfire_Forest.tar.gz
Corrected version, it works at my computer
(1.77 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
Gambrous

Post by Gambrous »

Thanks very much, I was under the Impression I was making some stupid big mistakes, anyways thanks for smoothing it out for me. Have a feeling this being my first campaign may not ever be finished before it get a complete rewrite.

Gambrous
Gambrous

Post by Gambrous »

Ok, so I took what Perseo had amended and added in some orcs and now have a fully functioning (except for music and dialog) scenario. I played it and decided 2 things, there's too many villages and they're situated too close to the orcs. I'm reluctant to change this however as the player may need the gold later on and the scenario is definately winable. I'll post it and give other a chance to try it and see what they think whilst I get started on dialog, music and campaign story. Hopefully I'll be starting scenario 2 (A roadside meeting) somepoint next week.

Gambrous
Attachments
Defense_of_Glenfire_Forest.zip
this is the updated file where the first scenario is winable
(2.72 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
perseo

Post by perseo »

It was a nice challenge, I manage to finish it in turn 20 with 90 gold (more or less), 2 ambushers and one sharshooter (or whatever is the other 2nd advance for the archer :lol2: ). Maybe you can add a event with a elf coming to help (an loyal archer something like that). There enough and it's easy to have a 22 income.
BTW, It can be too easy to steal orcish villages, I didn't do that coz otherwise the scenario would have been quite boring, also I don't like the mill villages, I always think they're part of the scenery like in previous versions.
See ya!
I'm looking forward to the next scenario.
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
Gambrous

Post by Gambrous »

Having problems posting at the minute, trying to post my updated version, will keep trying.

Gambrous
Gambrous

Post by Gambrous »

For some reason the message wont post with the campaign attached. Any suggestions?

Gambrous
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Try posting it in a zipped file.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Gambrous

Post by Gambrous »

tried countless times with a zipped file and a 7z file and neither will post. It might be my laptop but I haven't the foggiest why.

Gambrous
Gambrous

Post by Gambrous »

hey, I'm trying to make the scenario end at the death of one of the units. He's a hero and the objectives say that his death will bring defeat but when he does die nothing happens. Can anyone tell me how to make the scenario end with the death of a unit that isn't the team leader?

Gambrous
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Gambrous wrote:hey, I'm trying to make the scenario end at the death of one of the units. He's a hero and the objectives say that his death will bring defeat but when he does die nothing happens. Can anyone tell me how to make the scenario end with the death of a unit that isn't the team leader?

Gambrous
Sure.

[event]
 name=die
  [filter]
   id=John
  [/filter]
  [endlevel]
   result=defeat
  [/endlevel
[/event]
Or, if you want talking from him, before his unit disappears:

[event]
 name=last breath
  [filter]
   id=John
  [/filter]
  [message]
   speaker=John
   message= _ "I'm slain!"
  [/message]
  [endlevel]
   result=defeat
  [/endlevel
[/event]
Gambrous

Post by Gambrous »

Thanks very much, it's working now. Funnily enough I had almost done that but when I wrote it out I forgot the filter, silly me! Anyways, thanks muchly.

Gambrous