Tribute to Burning Suns -- TtBS

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fabi
Inactive Developer

Re: Tribute to Burning Suns -- TtBS

Post by fabi »

lipk wrote:
Ah yes, maybe they were brothers in early versions of the campaign.
The order of how the leadership passes to the next relative of the former leader can make a nice additional side plot.
It just doesn't work with joining the tribe in disguise and appearing as a Ninja, countless times.

Thus I would like to introduce him in the first two scenarios, let the player in the believe he died while defending the oasis against the undead.
He can join the tribe later on and claim for the leadership openly, still being psychotic because of all the events.
Do you have more thoughts on the issue?
I'd fake his death during the disaster, not the battle. If he would survive the meteor, that would mean that he becomes the legit heir, even if for just a short time. That would make Kaleh's position much weaker later when defending his rank, since Keratur wouldn't demand to "get leadership", only to "get back".

If you go with this plot change, it could be a good idea as well to switch the rebel leader in "Blood Is Thicker than Water" to Keratur.
Yes, I will answer on that issue in more detail soon.
tr0ll wrote:one adaptation to the sun could be increased skin pigment, ie darker colour.
Yeah, that is already part of the proposal, you might have missed it, the text has already gotten rather long...
...another possibility is that they wear light clothing that covers most of the body, but then they might not be distinguishable from khalifa
Not necessarily. The Khalifa wear wide clothes. Like the people in this images: http://www.feierabend.de/cgi-bin/channe ... arameter}}

A possible clothing for the Quenoth could also be similar to the fremen stillsuit out of Frank Herbert's Dune.
http://www.duneinfo.com/arrakis/stillsuits/
since elves are semi-magical they could have adapted any number of ways, including changing body temperature or storing water in their fat etc.
one would think they might develop a rapport with desert cacti as they did with trees/treants.
That made me laugh a little (the rapport with cacti).
You thought about a cacti Wose?
alexanderthegre wrote:Or they could have grown stegosaurus-like plates on their backs :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, the temptation to abuse the rule of cool here is massive. Too many bizarre biological features can ruin suspension of disbelief.
Agreed.
To throw in my opinion on what elves would do in a desert-apocolypse,
IMO they have a very great grasp of magic, possibly better than that of humans. They probably would have fewer biological adaptions, and more magical ones. For instance, they might protect themselves (and their woses) using small magical domes that keep out the desert heat, or use ice magic to keep their buildings cool and supply them with water.
Relying on "active magic" is not such a good idea, imho.
Regarding the fairy Quenoth, they are not entirely corporal and thus don't affected that much from the environment anymore (or once again).
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I'm really glad that UtBS will be remade. When I first played it, I was rather confused with everything, the story plot and unit balances.
I made a faction of Desert Elves in my era http://units.wesnoth.org/1.10/War_of_Le ... outherners
Most of the artwork was done Zerovirous (hunter-line and cleric branch of the Mystic). The rest are copies from older mainline versions or UtBS ones. I hope they could be used as placeholders until better ones are made. (Ignore the carapace and Dustdevils. Those are scouts and swimmers.)
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

fabi wrote:
tr0ll wrote:one would think they might develop a rapport with desert cacti as they did with trees/treants.
That made me laugh a little (the rapport with cacti).
You thought about a cacti Wose?
yep... like the cactoses in tSoG :P but they are neutral or hostile not friendly.

desert trees such as baobabs might make interesting variants of wose, with a fruit-like object being a ranged impact weapon. the wose shaman sprite in TEG already looks like a baobab if you want to save work, but the elder version doesnt look desert-ish. :hmm: the dust devil in UtBS, although it is unique not recruitable, already fills the role of elemental ally so maybe nothing new is needed.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

alexanderthegre wrote:they might protect themselves (and their woses) using small magical domes
Wouldn't that be to common/earthly?
Spoiler:
fabi: this sounds promising; how's progress?
I have a cunning plan.