Elf War (campaign)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

1. Trias the campaign is finished, the epilogue is missing, just that.As scott said you can post it although it isnt finished yet. You can alweays upload a new version^^.It is the best way to find bugs ( Dumledore helped me a lot...)

2. Dumledore if it is too easy great, if it is too hard great, then logicaly speaking normal should be normal no??? GREAT !!

3. Hey thx scott...^^ by making all the language better i allow you to choose the name from my next campaign heroe that i have in mind... ( Undead Revenge )... ^^ (just if you wish of course^^)
PD: inferno nope, infierno yes ^^ ! ! !
PD2: Estudias el castellano ? ---> try to understand...
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
scott

Post by scott »

I think it's pretty clean now. I didn't quite catch your meaning about Kruksu accepting the war. I interpreted that to mean that while he put it all together and paid for it, it ultimately wasn't his idea. I think I see where you're going with the plot, and when the epilogue comes out I'll see if I was right.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

Hey thx scott...

Yeah in the epilogue all is going to be clearer...

PD: Epilogue will come soon ^^
WoW C-Mode activated...
scott

Post by scott »

Ok the plot took an unexpected turn. I thought the elves would have been behind it, not [the actual culprits]. I suppose such underhanded behavior is beneath elves.

Since you're using Saurian skirmishers, I would add the minimum game version to the Elf_War.pbl file. I'll post a cleaned-up version of scenario 10 in a little bit.

Edit: Don't you think the first sitting king of a certain name wouldn't have the suffix "I"? It's like calling the first World War "WWI" before there was a WWII. I think he should just be called Ebrahim.

Edit 2: This paragraph contradicts itself. If he didn't know about the pact, then why would he expect the attack to break the pact? I'll just say he didn't know unless you want otherwise.

Code: Select all

"Ebrahim I didn't know that this war would break the Frontier Pact that was signed by the elves and dwarves years ago. He ordered Urbuk to start a massive assault to the dwarven capital in order to destroy the new alliance between the elves and the dwarves wich was signed in order to protect the lands from orcs."
Edit 3: Ok the more I think about this, the more confusing it gets. King E must have known about the war between the elves and dwarves. He may or may not have known about the Frontier pact, but either way it wouldn't have mattered to him. The only bad scenario for him would be if the elves and dwarves had some kind of alliance, but the Frontier pact wasn't an alliance. So, if he didn't know, then he thinks dwarves have to fight the elves and orcs. If he did know, then he thinks the elves are neutral. Any elf involvement would be good for him because the dwarves have to fight both enemies now, but he couldn't have expected the dwarves to accidentally break the Frontier pact and get attacked by elves.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
scott

Post by scott »

Ok, try this.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

Thx scott... and... now iam really confused about all you said... :? :? :?
WoW C-Mode activated...
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Since there seems to be little feedback here so far - I just started the campaign (played the first two scenarios on normal) and so far I really liked it. It's the first campaign I've played with two leaders and this is really adding a new strategic component.
Due to the sturdy nature of the dwarves, I've found that I even advance other ways then normal. Elvish Sorceress and Sharpshooter seem to gain much value in this campaign. I'll see wheter this holds true through the campaing or wheter I'll have to start again. ;-)
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Well, the enemy is changing but it still holds - you need units with a high chance to hit and in River Crossing cold damage has some appeal. :D

I've noticed that the AI doesn't know how to use it's watchtowers - did you already ask for it to be thaught to use them? The engine supports multi hex attacks in general and adding support to the AI for stationary "units" shouldn't be much of a problem as there's only a rather limited number of hexes to search. Adding it to moving units would be something entirely different and against the spirit of Wesnoth.
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

Yeah I dont know if thats a bug but the towers dont atack +8 hexes like it is said...

I thaught it was a bug and told it in the bugs page... :wink:

PD: Thx for playing the game as it needs several balance... Check out if you are playing the last version :D
WoW C-Mode activated...
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

I got it only a few days ago and it's complete, just a bit too easy on normal. There are some rather obvious spelling errors in the text before the last scenario and you should tone down your special characters. A dragon with >100 life points is ok but in the last level some stats are way out of place. Just give the leaders greater castles, higher level recruits or the player less strong allies. You could also reduce the number of turn in many levels, e.g. in The Capital took me about 20 of the 45 turns to beat.
The second to last level is very easy as well once you notice that you control the water with your gryphon riders. In general, your AI leaders are to passive, they don't attack at all. In one case I think it may even be a bug as Gomad didn't even attack an orcish grunt which would have had no retalitation attack at all.
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

Hehehehe Gryphon Riders = not the last version ^^ :P

Yeah I will town down some turns in many scenarios and well I put in the last scenario so much lifepoints to Ebrahim for a reason... (next campaign he is the main character and he will never recruit in3 levels (hope hard) so that is why he has too much life^^...

But well I will give less money to the allies in order to make it more hard.

The grammar corrections made scott :D I see everything perfect :D
WoW C-Mode activated...
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Well, then you've put a new one on the campaign server a few days ago. But I still consider the lifepoints for Ebrahim ridiculous - he's a level 3 leader, no more. If you want him to survive much, give him very good resistance and a good movement type. Wesnoth is no game about indestructable super hero characters.
Your dragons were already a bit on the extreme side, coming in a group as they are. You can more or less only attack them in daylight from the forst. It would be nice to have a couple of Elvish Sylph by the but unforunately this rather impossible. :-)
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

He isnt just a level 3 character, he is Ebrahim II :wink: !!!
He is powerful, he is invencible, he is the best = many lifepoints = hard hard hard !!!

PD: Actually he comes out in the last scenario but well I think you are right, I will put him lower lifepoints...

The Drake is all right, that is why it is called Pain ^^ !!!

PD2: -Made Easy = Normal Stats (made it also a little easyer)
-Made Normal = Hard Stats (made it also a little harder)
-Made Hard = New Stats (took the hard stats and made them harder, or at least it seems so...)
-Reduced Ebrahim II lifepoints
-Starting villages added = Took away ai leaders commands to stand inside the castle ^^ = made them a little more intelligent (or at least I thing so)
-Reduced all turns in more or less all scenarios...

PD3: With all those changes the campaign needs only "balancing" now, or at least I think so ^^
*Will post a new version in a few days...
*Thx for the feedback...
WoW C-Mode activated...
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

I hope you didn't reduce the turns in Doomed Land - that's the only one where you really need them. I had 1 or 2 turns left at the end and the towers aren't even working as they should.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

A few comments on this campaign:

I find it odd that there are so many scenarios where you only have to defeat one of the leaders... why aren't more "defeat all enemies" instead of "defeat one enemy"?

the towers will not work because the AI does not support multi-hex ranged attacks. You could bug a coder to make them do so, but its probably not going to happen.

I think the dialogue could use some work... there are a lot of "wanna"s and "gonna"s that I think should be replaced.

Even though Ebrahim II is a king, he shouldn't be so powerful; most kings were not the greatest warriors in their kingdoms. Also, 100 HP is considered the maximum possible for a human/elf/dwarf/orc/drake, and a 15-4 attack considered the best possible non-magical attack for a human/elf/dwarf/orc/drake.

But overall the campaign seems pretty good (all balancing issues aside, just talking about plot and map design).
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm