Archery Training

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

hmalmedal

Archery Training

Post by hmalmedal »

I have uploaded a mini-campaign, Archery Training. It consists of six short scenarios. I am interested in feedback. I am using Wesnoth 1.10.

Some topics of interest:
  • Number of and placement of villages
  • Income per village
  • Initial amount of gold and base income
  • Time limits
  • General tips for balancing
  • Other stuff
This is my first attempt at a campaign. All the unit names are random, since I couldn't come up with good names. I added code to stop the heroine from upgrading to marksman. This way the mentor and the heroine always have different portraits.

Best regards,

Håkon Malmedal
WanderingHero

Re: Archery Training

Post by WanderingHero »

The dialgoue was bland and the first few levels were dull but overall it was pretty fun. Maybe more than one difficulty setting would be a good idea. The map wasnt bad though playing on it 6 times got a bit repetitive. The first few scenarios were really boring, and you likely could have started the enemy closer to her, The trolll whelp scenario was probably the hardest and pretty fun. The troll scenario was oddly a lot easier, with the ai using its forces in a fairly stupid way and only engaging your troops in a way that made them really easy to dispatch. Didn't do the final scenario as I just downloaded the campaign to kill an hour and the final scernario looked crazy easy.
Also Novice scenario or not, I'm not sure a campaign this easy is really needed, since Elvish Incursion does a good job of that anyway. Also players are like to play EI and HTT before checking for add ons
hmalmedal

Post by hmalmedal »

Thanks for replying. I'll look into more difficulty settings, and I'll experiment with different starting locations for the monsters. I agree that the dialogue is dull. Is tossing more money on the enemy side the best way of making it more difficult?
taptap

Post by taptap »

As a very much novice campaign I would add some explanations. (Like: watch for damage types and resistance = wose rule against trolls) I guess either way your campaign is as much WML training as archery training. Looking forward to see more from you.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Shakeshake

Post by Shakeshake »

taptap wrote:As a very much novice campaign I would add some explanations. (Like: watch for damage types and resistance = wose rule against trolls) I guess either way your campaign is as much WML training as archery training. Looking forward to see more from you.
I agree with this idea. I think I'd like if you could make it more like you were being intensively trained in this campaign, as opposed to just saying basically: you need to learn archery, here's an enemy, kill it. If it was somehow more interactive in that way, it might be both more interesting for experienced players and more helpful for novice players. Obviously providing more information, like taptap suggested, is a good first step; though I'd be curious if there would be anything else you could do that would be more interactive, like you were participating in the archery training in a way that wasn't just normal Wesnothian battling. Unfortunately, though, I can't say I have any ideas as to how this might be done, but I do think it would be neat to see this simple campaign gradually transform into something more complex.

While it was very simple, I didn't encounter any problems playing it, which means you were competent in creating it! I always like to try new campaigns so hopefully you continue to improve this one/make more!
hmalmedal

Post by hmalmedal »

I have uploaded a new version with more dialogue and three difficulty levels: Beginner, Easy and Normal.
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

The new normal setting was pretty fun, though it didnt seem to add to much to the early scenarios beyond a stupidly low turn limit.
hmalmedal

Post by hmalmedal »

WanderingHero wrote:The new normal setting was pretty fun, though it didnt seem to add to much to the early scenarios beyond a stupidly low turn limit.
Reducing the number of turns for the early scenarios was the only thing I could think of. The mentor is sharpshooter on beginner, and marksman on easy and normal. The third scenario has less gold on easy and even less on normal. The main difference for the first three scenarios is that the monsters won't cross the river, so you have to go hunt for them.