Assembled Map of Wesnoth and FarNorth

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MetalKing

Assembled Map of Wesnoth and FarNorth

Post by MetalKing »

Here is a complete "total Map" (it'S complete as well as the origin Mai is complete but which isn't) based on original Map from Wesnoth. I don't say it's perfect but at least it looks very similar as I did use "original" Map from Wesnoth. I hope anybody can use it. It's welcome (to use it) to create a better Map.

I did extend that Map (another File) to get playable for up to 9 Players. I still didn't play resp. test that playable Map but it should be sufficient get a first Impression about playing a such large Map. Sure there misses still alot - at least I would be really surprissed if that Map is already playable right after casting.

Due to large Size as well as Cities and Villages with a single Building looks odd I group multiple Buildings to Cities/Villages. The larger Map require probably a larger Regulary Army and by these "Metropoles" BaseIncome get raised for 6 Buildings (Villages).

Compared with ordinary GamePlay there still misses alot of smaller Villages but I did omit to spread all and everywherer single Villages (exceptionally the Swamp as there will never be any Metropole or something like and the most northern Player is still a little offside and need some "Cakes" to have enough strategical Reasons to consider to movee into that Direction and get some Support from Taxes to do anything.

However, the Map is sill more a Concept than a proven GamePlay. I don't expect anything from at this Moment as it will surely be different. Please don't blame me if the Map sux but tell If you can use it for anything.

*edit* Thread renamed
Attachments
Wesnoth.Map.total-v0.1.rar
(15.98 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
Last edited by MetalKing on March 23rd, 2012, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sir! We are surrounded by our enemies!" - "Excellent ! We can attack in every direction!"
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein
No Source - No Binary - No Trust!
Map Wesnoth Springs - The great War [200x120],Player=9
MetalKing

Re: Map Wesnoth Total

Post by MetalKing »

I did start to create a simple Scenario for the Map to include some Embellishments like CampFire, SignPosts and MileStones. Even I have to invest 3 Days FullTime to craete the Map I would greatly enjoy if Wesnoth could increase maximal MapSize from [200x200] to [256 x n>=200] to get a better Resolution of the Map. I'm especially unsatisfied with the Quality of rendered Rivers.

What Kind of Support is necessary from a Scenario-Code to make Things working like CampFire, SignPosts and MileStones? The Editor can display them but the Game-Engine can't. Can anybody explain that?
"Sir! We are surrounded by our enemies!" - "Excellent ! We can attack in every direction!"
perseo

Post by perseo »

I usually put this kind of things like images over the map. I don't know if you see my point. Have a look at {PLACE_IMAGE *****} Or something similar. BTW Don't you think that some labels with the names of the cities will make it even more interesting.
¡Salud!
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

perseo wrote:I usually put this kind of things like images over the map. I don't know if you see my point. Have a look at {PLACE_IMAGE *****} Or something similar. BTW Don't you think that some labels with the names of the cities will make it even more interesting.
¡Salud!
I didn't find the Editor was capable for and I asserted I have to create them another Way (Text-Editor). Yes, Labels are (still) missing. IS there a simple Way to create them?
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

In Wesnoth's current state, the only way to define labels is to create a config file (.cfg) which describes your scenario. However, as there is a new map format being introduced at the moment, it might be that in the future this will be able from the editor itself.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

Excellent to hear, I did figure out WML-Syntax to create Lables. Will need Time as I work on other Things for the Map. thnx
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

Some News about Work for Total Map. I did assemble two large Maps of Wesnoth into a single larger Map and add Details from a small Map in in the south-eastern Part of FarNorth. You should perhaps take at least one Look at this Map to understand it Content. In the horizontal Middle is some lower-quality Work to join both Map. Graphical Work is not by best Discipline and I expect some may be unsatified with that Work. Therefore I did add my WorkFile (Gimp/XCF) to support Improvements which are welcome to me. At least that Work is sufficient for my own Work to create a TotalMap of Wesnoth.

After looking at the Map I have some Questions. Why are in the Central PArt so many Mountains and other LandScapes lesser suited for AgriCulture while the Orcs havbe all the fine GrazingLands best suited for AgriCulture. I think it's Time to think about starting a War... for Law and Liberty! :roll:

However, some Computation about the new Map I want to create with the Editor: The previous Map have a Resolution of 200x120. Now I have more than doubled Height and thus I need a Map x/y with y>240.

I could use more SubMaps of Wesnoth to get a more detailed Idea about where Cities,Towns and Villages are.
I did first Time test the Map alone in MP and find that there are Villages missing. I don't know the the Locations of Nagas and Drakes.

I still didn't create Labels for Citites but would like to see that Feature inside the Wesnoth-Map-Editor. I would also like if Maps could get a descriptive Section about Author, Date,Version, Description and Comment etc. At Present I can add just few Informations inside the FileName but that's not a Replacement for Map-MetaInformartions inside the Map resp inside the MapEditor: I don't want to open a Map in the Editor, don't know what it is and open the Map a 2nd Time with an Text-Editor to look for any Comments which are at Present normally not there.

I will try to look inside the Code to find the Configuration for Maps and tune from 200 to 256. Should fit into same Type (char). If the Type is 'in' I will tune to 400x300 as TotalMap is already theoretically at 200x250 and there should be some Space for more.

I hopy I will next Weeks start with adding Labels for the Cities.

I did start Weeks ago a Reordering of the Wesnoth-Data. It's now much better ordered,categorized and structurized but I have to fix the CFGs to work with the new Order. Is there someoone interested in helping me with that Stuff. I think I should offer an Example of the Concept but at Moment I don't have any available

I need that for my Map Wesnoth-Total (Name will change as the Name was intended to explain the Map contains all (known) Wesnoth but sounds anyway so totally total. I would greatly enjoy if anyone can suggest a nicer Name.
Attachments
Map.Wesnoth-Total-Assemble.xcf.zip
The File I did work with GIMP. Could be helpful if anyone want to complete/polish the the Map oin Attachment below.
(4.07 MiB) Downloaded 199 times
An assembled large Map of Wesnoth.  It's mainly an Assemble of two large Maps and an Refinement by a smaller DetailMap.  This Map contains barely something new but it show "all" in a single Map.
An assembled large Map of Wesnoth. It's mainly an Assemble of two large Maps and an Refinement by a smaller DetailMap. This Map contains barely something new but it show "all" in a single Map.
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

Is there any Source to get Informations about the Cities drawn on the Map? I need especially the Race there is.
perseo

Post by perseo »

Yes, some time ago, I translated the help es.po file, on it I remembered reading about orcish cities, elvish cities and human ones indexed after the information of a territory i.e. The far north, the plains...
¡Salud!
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

It's helpful to know about Existence of useful Documents. Do you have any Clue where to find that Stuff in Documention?

Btw: I did restart with creating a total Map with the large Map including FarNorth. What does the Term Wesnoth refers to? I did assume it refers to the Continent where the Stories happens but FarNorth is surely the same ContinentalPlate. If Wesnoth doesn't refer to the Continent I suggest to invent a Name for it.
MetalKing

Re: Assembled Map of Wesnoth and FarNorth

Post by MetalKing »

I did find that the regular (normally used Map) for Wesnoth contains in the South additional Data which the "Total Map" didn't include. So I did again take GIMP and add the Map. Interestingly both Maps of Wesnoth (not FarNorth) seems to be different drawn Maps and not just different framed Sections from the same Image. I did approximate in the left bottm Corner a small Section: the Land lift from the River. Better understand that as Assumption and not based on "stronger Data". This Assumption is rather likely as the CoastLine prefers to continue more likely straight than hard angled. The River-Line was almost complete and close to the Sea. It wasn't likely that the River decides to flow parallel to the CoastLine instead to wards it the last dozen Miles.

Btw. I never sought any Scaling for Wesnoth-Maps. So it's hard to estiamte Distances of Locations resp. WayLength of Routes.
Suggestions to that Matter are welcome.

I use this assembled gfx-Map to create a new Game-Map. I think for most Needs this Map is much to large. If anyone want to use a Section or the whole Map he is free to use it - under Terms of GPL if that's possible. If not I would like to hear if there is any good broad accepted "Open-Media-License" I can apply. It's not about License but Sharing.

regards, MetalKing
Attachments
Map.Wesnoth+FarNorth-v0.4.png.gz
(3.26 MiB) Downloaded 202 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Assembled Map of Wesnoth and FarNorth

Post by Iris »

The author of this topic asked me to delete it because of eliddell’s topic in Art Workshop (which has been going on for longer and contains more material), but since we don’t delete working topics I’ll just lock it instead.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.