Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Post Reply
User avatar
Adamant14
Posts: 889
Joined: April 24th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Post by Adamant14 » March 4th, 2012, 2:48 pm

taptap wrote:Scenario 8 )

I start a scenario against undead with 3 bowmen, 1 cav, 1 stalwart, 2 spearmen, 1 javelineer and some useful units because you decided my recalls for me.

Give the player more control, it isn't funny to fight skeletons with bowmen or to make running scenarios with HI.
Don't forget these are your veterans, they fought for you in the previous scenario. :)
It would be easy to change this into the usual way;
easy to add a starting-castle to the map, where you can recruit the units you want.
Nothing easier than that, but I like the idea that you start the scenario with only your veterans.
You can recruit later, when you conquer the first castle.
If you cope that, and still have enough gold. :twisted:
I like it the way it is. :hmm:
And it's different to other campaigns.
taptap wrote: The northern gatekeeper sits at his entrance while his fellows get slaughtered and does nothing - only after you reach the king he dispatches his troops to fight inside.
I have a look, and try to tweek the [ai] for a better behavior.
taptap wrote: Your caves have surprisingly much roads so it is easy for skeletons and even cavalry types to move in there, while the AI dwarves have a tough time ending up on 30% territory more often than not.
Mind that the cave is carved and hewn by dwarves, not a untouched natural cave.
taptap wrote: And the undead managed to liberate their other leader, thank god the nightgaunts didn't manage to do much harm.)
How do you think about the prisoner? Do I have to give a earlier hint about him.
Did you had any chance to prevent the undead from freeing him?
taptap wrote: At least announce in some way that the units at the end of scenario x will be used in scenario x+2 without or with strictly limited recruiting options. Say, you can play scenario 6 without dwarves at all, then scenario 8 can be incredibly hard.
Yes, I agree. For everyone who plays this campaign first time, I should give a hint about that.
Good point. Thank you.
taptap wrote: Be careful with tomato surprises, at least add forshadowing for them, in scenario 2 it easily breaks the player (I was about to attack the leader when they arrived and offered two L2 for sacrifice to gain time to finish the job, but you can retreat with your slower units against deathblades anyway.)
OK. Forshadowing sounds fair. I revise the second scenario, and add a warning.
taptap wrote: The snowy between scenario picture looks strange as if you randomly moved parts of the picture?
That's what I did, because the original picture is under copyright. :P
It's only a placeholder till I find a better one.
taptap wrote: The story with the book isn't totally convincing as far as I have played, but in general the campaign looks very promising.
I think about the book, the problem is I'm not a good story writer, and not a native English-speaker.
Its hard for me to find the right words. My words are awkward.
By the way I'm really glad that Daravel checked it for spelling mistakes.
Many thanks to you Daravel. :)

Maybe I need help by a good story-writer.
If someone is interested, please PM me.
taptap wrote: It will need more balancing later, many scenarios are likely too easy on hard.
You mean 05 The_Elvish_Outpost, and which else?
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR

User avatar
taptap
Posts: 980
Joined: October 6th, 2011, 5:42 pm

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Post by taptap » March 4th, 2012, 3:54 pm

Adamant14 wrote: Don't forget these are your veterans, they fought for you in the previous scenario. :)
Actually, I now recognize that knowing what happens you can easily recall units you want later in the last recruiting scenario - as you auto-recall them this is in fact even more efficient than taking gold carry-over (which is then severely reduced in the time you need to conquer the first keep). I recalled the dwarves only because I wanted to level them, otherwise the elvish outpost can be played comfortably with cavalry/bowmen/spearmen units leaving you to a bad surprise when you reach scenario 8. Of course this kind of autorecall also punishes you for not playing with veterans but starting scenarios with fresh recruits. (I somewhat like the solution in some mainline campaigns where this is solved by giving you only one or two turns of recruits/recalls until your castle is removed.)
Mind that the cave is carved and hewn by dwarves, not a untouched natural cave.
Yes, I know. Odd thing is that dwarves survive better in natural caves :whistle: I would at least add some stoppers for cavalry units, a cave shouldn't be suitable to cavalry out of principle.
How do you think about the prisoner? Do I have to give a earlier hint about him.
It is kind of obvious, no problem. I spent too much time outside and my units were trying to push inside through the eastern gate (the second skeleton AI migrated there) so I had no means to stop them on the inside where many skeleton units levelled against the dwarves, despite sacrificing the outlaw (the only unit I had available there). The lazy western gate keeper is to blame for the result too, but it was quite manageable even so.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.

User avatar
WhiteWolf
Forum Regular
Posts: 557
Joined: September 22nd, 2009, 7:48 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Post by WhiteWolf » March 16th, 2012, 11:21 am

Just started to play. Liked the idea of limited amount of certain units.

First scenario: no problem, though I found the map a bit too long, it took several eventless turns.
On the second scenario I have an error:
Képernyőkép-2.png
Author of the Underness Series, consisting of V parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Standalone works: The Ravagers - now for 1.14, with new bugs!

User avatar
Adamant14
Posts: 889
Joined: April 24th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Post by Adamant14 » March 16th, 2012, 11:43 am

What version of BfW do you use?
My campaign is only for BfW 1.9.13 or later!

Water-lilies (this terrain causes the error-message) are not available in earlier versions.


Edit:
Water-lilies are in core since 1.9.5. :shock:
Last edited by Adamant14 on April 29th, 2012, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR

User avatar
WhiteWolf
Forum Regular
Posts: 557
Joined: September 22nd, 2009, 7:48 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Post by WhiteWolf » March 16th, 2012, 7:50 pm

I use 1.10.0... :o
Author of the Underness Series, consisting of V parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Standalone works: The Ravagers - now for 1.14, with new bugs!

User avatar
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 1328
Joined: October 15th, 2010, 10:39 am
Location: Germany

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Post by Crendgrim » March 17th, 2012, 7:39 am

The problem is elsewhere. Look in the screenshot.
You didn't use Ww^Ewl but WwÊwl as the terrain string.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!

User avatar
Adamant14
Posts: 889
Joined: April 24th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Post by Adamant14 » March 18th, 2012, 8:06 am

OK, I found the bug.

Not the map causes the problem, it was the scenario file of the second scenario.

Change line 175 from:

Code: Select all

				terrain=W*,S*,M*,Dd,Wwg,Wo,WwÊwl,WwÊwf,Wwg,Sm,Ss
to:

Code: Select all

				terrain=W*,S*,M*,Dd,Wwg,Wo,Ww^Ewl,Ww^Ewf,Wwg,Sm,Ss
or just download version 0.0.7 from the add-on server. :)

I'm sorry for this mistake. :(

Thank you WhiteWolf for reporting this error. :)
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR

User avatar
WhiteWolf
Forum Regular
Posts: 557
Joined: September 22nd, 2009, 7:48 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Post by WhiteWolf » March 18th, 2012, 11:09 am

Thanks for fixing it :)

Donwloaded 0.0.7, i think I'll restart it form the beginning then.
Author of the Underness Series, consisting of V parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Standalone works: The Ravagers - now for 1.14, with new bugs!

tribes45
Posts: 123
Joined: June 24th, 2010, 12:40 am

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Post by tribes45 » March 23rd, 2012, 4:50 am

I'm going to give it another go, good campaign :)
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." -Herodotus
"Two things are infinite, the universe and Human stupidity. Although, I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein

User avatar
MetalKing
Posts: 197
Joined: July 8th, 2011, 11:34 am

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Post by MetalKing » April 20th, 2012, 4:18 pm

I played your Campaign. The 8 of 16 released Scenarions are well grinded in my Taste. I like to play anytime the remaining 8 Scenarios. Fine Work!
"Sir! We are surrounded by our enemies!" - "Excellent ! We can attack in every direction!"
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein
No Source - No Binary - No Trust!
Map Wesnoth Springs - The great War [200x120],Player=9

User avatar
Espreon
Developer
Posts: 630
Joined: June 9th, 2007, 4:08 am

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Post by Espreon » June 4th, 2012, 2:33 pm

I see that you wish to have your add-on translated. Sadly, it has some technical problems:


- One of your files is not encoded in UTF-8
- Some of your files are bound to the non-existent domain "wesnoth-Antar, son of Rheor"; another to the domain "wesnoth-Lothars_Rache_Alternativ"
- Your add-on’s textdomain declaration does not say where the mo files go; put this in it: “path="data/add-ons/Antar/translations"”
- Some of your files’ names have spaces; convert them to underscores (_)

I attached a fixed version of the file that was not encoded in UTF-8.
Attachments
1a_Antar.cfg
(6.89 KiB) Downloaded 235 times

User avatar
Adamant14
Posts: 889
Joined: April 24th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Post by Adamant14 » June 4th, 2012, 5:17 pm

Wow, great.
I will fix it, and update.

Thank you. :)

EDIT:
Espreon wrote:I see that you wish to have your add-on translated. Sadly, it has some technical problems:


- One of your files is not encoded in UTF-8
Done
Espreon wrote: - Some of your files are bound to the non-existent domain "wesnoth-Antar, son of Rheor"; another to the domain "wesnoth-Lothars_Rache_Alternativ"
Done
Espreon wrote: - Your add-on’s textdomain declaration does not say where the mo files go; put this in it: “path="data/add-ons/Antar/translations"”
Done
Espreon wrote: - Some of your files’ names have spaces; convert them to underscores (_)
Done




Version 0.8.14 is available on the 1.10 server now
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR

User avatar
AxalaraFlame
Posts: 690
Joined: December 4th, 2011, 1:07 pm
Location: Pasadina, Caltech

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Post by AxalaraFlame » June 8th, 2012, 8:51 am

Admant, I have finished it on nightmare level. Honestly this campaign have great potential, and once if it is really known over the users, I think players will make most of their compliments on the slaughtering enemies design. It is really exciting!

I am in Tibet, a very good place. However, the network service sucks! I am writting a whole article about improving this campaign.

User avatar
AxalaraFlame
Posts: 690
Joined: December 4th, 2011, 1:07 pm
Location: Pasadina, Caltech

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Post by AxalaraFlame » June 10th, 2012, 10:51 am

It is time. Rise from the ground, slepping thread! Time to wake up!! :mrgreen:

As a random player, who is involved in testing this random UMC after the OP’s invitation, I feel very glad and suppose it is time to make some objective judgements for it, and make a conclusion for a topic about improving this campaign. As I said before, this campaign looks raw, made with lower-than-standard quality on portraits, dialogues, scenerio design and on many other things; these defects are very frequently spotted in UMCs, since the OP lacks of time, resourses, and funds, so we cannot blame him. However, with such scarce time, resourses, and even without funds, this campaign surprised me, gave me a very refreshing view. It tells us that campiagn can be made so satisfying on our man’s inherent eagerness of slaughthering (kill undead…will, righteous reason too on the other hand), despite of the quality. Each scenerio has many strategies to break through. What’s more, this rawly made campiagn coincidentally approach nearer to the final goal of “KISS”——simple, clear, and when you kill these stuff you found it cool! :D

However, a campaign has only cool-killing design can hardly be considered as a good campaign. :| So the most improtant part is improvements. Let us see how to improve it, if the OP is so fine, can let me, an anoymous player, to give these sincere suggestions. :)

1. the pirate portraits
The OP says that these pirate cut&paste portraits make this campaign special. Well…Ok. I can not deny that they really make it special. These portraits come from different places; some from mainline campaigns, others from art-contributors’ forum with some additional crudely cut&paste works.

My opinion is although these portraits make the campaign special, however not very suitable. Since the players have a very famliar feeling to them, they makes another kind of spoofing and relaxive atomosphere at a same time. I am not in favor of the idea of applying pirate portraits was not because they are private ones, but because their style does not fit the campaign well. It seems that you want to make this story talk a serious business——killing undead. Well…such a story without any plots to indicate the style is relaxive-humourous, but with laughable portraits to indicate it is relaxive-humourous...it would only make people feel it as inadequate and inappropriate, personally feeling.

There are three ways to slove this problem as far as I know:
First, redesign this whole campaign’s style, and make it a spoofing one, like Talentless Mage or Shameless Crossover Excuse. However, I found the OP seem to have a special feeling to this campaign. He want it to be a serious campaign, with good stories and cool scenerios. Will it go against your oringinal will? I dunno. But…these portraits are really really good spoofing stuff in campaigns! So anyway, I think this is a good solution.

Second, remaking portraits. Not a good idea because we are all lame portrait makers. This choice can be largely neglected. However, if you have good resources to utilize, this should be a superior choice.

Third, make them even greater cut&paste priate portraits. I found that the OP did not cut and paste all portraits; instead, he adapted a lot, and simply utilized a few oringinal ones (from forum or campaigns). That is not a cool way, I suppose. If you choose to make them in this way, why not make them thorough! Cut and paste all of them and establish this style solidly, would be far better then staying in this embarassing land of half-pirate and half-oringinal. (cut varies of characters’ heads and paste them on varies of other characters’ bodies…that can be called oringinal in someways). This is most doable.

2. maps
The big-scale map and scenerio maps. They have varieties of problems.

i.the big scale map
It is very sparkling when the first time I saw it. This map expands to the Far South land, where no campaigns have ever stepped so far. If you don’t look it nicely and carefully, you may never find that Lake Wisk is cut from Lake Vrug and pasted in an opposite direction.
This map is not made very meticulously, which can be detected from those thick strokes of rivers and missing names of places. But I still feel very curious about how did the OP make it.(How did you make it after all?!) It is either he has a really good software to handle and expand the oringianl map, or the OP himself is very patient in these micro cut-pastes. In spite of these, you really have balls in photoshopping! :mrgreen:

However, according to many many campaigns, the official history and introductions, we believe there is nearly no human residents in the Far South. At most there is a few outlaws as colonsists, there cannot have several entire civilized human fiets there. It has already become common sense. This OP’s setting will be very controversial, or the story could only take place at another world, not wesnoth. I also spotted a bug on the map is spotted. There shoule be no forests called “Grey Woods” in the South Lands by any means. This name is duplicated. What’s more, still a few places are nameless.

If the OP insists that the story should happen in this fanciful Far South Lands, it should take place undoubtedly at another universe. I think making it in another world is not a good idea at all, so it is better to use the classical map, and redesign the locations where the scenerios take place. I can hardly deny that the map is good, however, common sense runs first.

I have a brand new journey route designed for OP, with all oringinal scenerios reasonably taking place in wesnoth.; if you are so fine, I will post it :)

But anyway, it does not really matter because you did not even apply it into use. I dunno why did you put it there either. If you are prudent at this thing, I would say it is good. It is better not to use it.

ii. the scenerio maps
I have carefully checked them over, and made some changes to every map carefully. They will be uploaded here slowly for players and the OP to test. Each map has its own problem, I will analyse it one after one.

3. Character speacial skills

i. Antar has an ability called “fight&flee”, very similar to some stuff which I have seen in EoMa before (some kind of goblin’s skill). The difference is Antar does not get additional movement points. I think you can give Antar various of skills rather than simply give him only such one coward skill.
--Growing Courage--
When killed an enemy, Antar get not only a few additional movement points, but also able to fight on! Just like Zombie Apocalypse RPG. If he can kill enemies one after one…Oh dear! It will be very cool.
Intuitively, I feel this won’t harm the gaming balance very much, since Antar can hardly kill a horde of units within a turn by always taking fatal blows so luckily, let alone he will suffer greater damage.
--Leadership--
I think the ability "Allied Leadership" should be removed and replaced with a normal leadership. It is not very distinguished from normal leadership; futhermore, makes little sense. When you meet an allied unit, you say “Follow me comrade! I am a leader!” and he says “Oh yes my lord whoever-the-hell! I will get 25% damage bonus.” :augh: How could that be?
A normal leadership is enough. :)
Another quirky thing is why the heck can Antar advance to LV4 only to get one more level leadership? :? I think a new amla.cfg can solve everything. Antar can get “inspire” aility if he finished the first AMLA, rather than leveling to 4 and his appearance and attack and movement all looks just the same, except for a lv4-leadership. This will be frustrating.
--Marksmanship--
Antar can shoot his crossbow quite more precisely than other his comrades. This is alternative.
--Fear no physical weapons--
Antar can have greater surviving skills when given a 0% physical resistances bonus.

ii.Dagor
--Battle Instructor--
He should have something more than a loyal trait. For instance, as an old advisor, he can teach troops battle skills, accerlerate their leveling speed. Each unit stay in the hex near him can get one or two additional exp during battles.

iii.Careonyrn
--Battle Instructor--
This is pretty reasonable too. As a sergeant, he should be able to teach noob solidiers to fight.
--Daultless--
When offensing enemies, he get double resistances than usual. This ability is used in IfTU, however, I have never seen this stuff there.

4. Scenerio/campaign story design
This is a very long topic. I will start another topic to elaborate them one after one, efficiently but slowly. I cannot guarntee it would be useful, however, it will be made very practical and rational :)

User avatar
Ninjuri
Posts: 167
Joined: April 28th, 2012, 2:59 am
Location: California

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Post by Ninjuri » June 12th, 2012, 6:14 am

Hey i've never DLed a campaign before, could you tell me how so i can get this one?
Fate is against me.

Post Reply