Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sergey

Re: Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Post by sergey »

Adamant14 wrote: May 20th, 2019, 3:04 pm I just hope removing Steadfast will not weaken Grimbold too much.
Grimbold currently doesn't have steadfast ability. Perhaps you thought that

Code: Select all

[base_unit]
  id=Dwarvish Stalwart
[/base_unit]
[abilities]
  {ASoR_ABILITY_PROTECTION}
[/abilities]
will give him 2 abilities: steadfast (from the base unit) and protector (explicitly declared in your code). But, as we can see, it merges the abilities and produces a single incorrect ability.

If you want him to have both steadfast and protector you could still use base_unit and replace

[abilities]
[/abilities]
with

[abilities]
  {ABILITY_STEADFAST}
[/abilities]
Thus, {ABILITY_STEADFAST} will be merged with the same {ABILITY_STEADFAST} from the base unit (resulting in exactly the same {ABILITY_STEADFAST} code) and {ASoR_ABILITY_PROTECTION} will be added as a second ability. I tested that it works as I described.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

sergey wrote: May 20th, 2019, 3:58 pm Grimbold currently doesn't have steadfast ability. Perhaps you thought that
Indeed, I did. :whistle:
sergey wrote: May 20th, 2019, 3:58 pm

[abilities]
  {ABILITY_STEADFAST}
[/abilities]
Thus, {ABILITY_STEADFAST} will be merged with the same {ABILITY_STEADFAST} from the base unit (resulting in exactly the same {ABILITY_STEADFAST} code) and {ASoR_ABILITY_PROTECTION} will be added as a second ability. I tested that it works as I described.
Oh, that is cool.
One more time I thank you for your precious help. Thank you very much.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

In scenario The Dungeon, antidote doesn't just remove the poison but also heals completely. Intended?

Also, when Elorial Din AMLA, +1 melee damage doesn't work.
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

Problem fixed after the last update. Now I can start the campaign. However, 1500 gold? Yes, I read the hint but seeing those endless units move is fairly painful. Wesnoth isn't really meant to have so many of them since only one can move in a time. Though, perhaps I will try it later anyway.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

EarthCake wrote: May 20th, 2019, 9:41 pm In scenario The Dungeon, antidote doesn't just remove the poison but also heals completely. Intended?
That's been on my Todo list for quiet a while, now I think I should change it so that it only cures poison. Otherwise it feels wrong.
Thank you for your notion.

EarthCake wrote: May 20th, 2019, 9:41 pm Also, when Elorial Din AMLA, +1 melee damage doesn't work.
Strange, it seems to work for me. :hmm:
sword =11x4 + AMLA_SWORD -> 12x4 + AMLA_SWORD -> 13x4

Wayirr wrote: May 21st, 2019, 11:13 am Problem fixed after the last update. Now I can start the campaign. However, 1500 gold? Yes, I read the hint but seeing those endless units move is fairly painful. Wesnoth isn't really meant to have so many of them since only one can move in a time. Though, perhaps I will try it later anyway.
The map is rather small, so there are not really that much units at the same time on the map. Also the enemies castles size limits the recruits per turn.
But still, the scenario can not be won without a smart strategy.
This scenario is different than usual, but that's what makes it special. :eng:
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

EarthCake wrote: May 20th, 2019, 9:41 pm Also, when Elorial Din AMLA, +1 melee damage doesn't work.
I know what caused the problem. Poisonous sword in scenario where the elves follow Hag`ta`morg gives +1 damage, and I took it with Elorial Din.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

EarthCake wrote: May 21st, 2019, 4:58 pm
I know what caused the problem. Poisonous sword in scenario where the elves follow Hag`ta`morg gives +1 damage, and I took it with Elorial Din.
Yes! That makes sense. Taking the Poisonous Sword changes the name of the attack type from "Sword" to "Poisoned Sword", so AMLA_SWORD does not work anymore. It should work when I change the weapon filter from 'name=sword' to 'range=melee'
Thank you for noticing that.
sergey

Post by sergey »

Wayirr wrote: May 21st, 2019, 11:13 am Problem fixed after the last update. Now I can start the campaign. However, 1500 gold? Yes, I read the hint but seeing those endless units move is fairly painful. Wesnoth isn't really meant to have so many of them since only one can move in a time. Though, perhaps I will try it later anyway.
You can skip AI movement animation in Preferences -> General -> Skip AI moves. The animation is shown if AI attacks, only movement is skipped. Which is not very important actually, I play with skipped movement.

Regarding the first scenario. When I saw it for the first time I thought it is impossible. However, now it is my favourite scenario among all Wesnoth scenarios I ever played 8) I recommend spending some time for trying different tactics, think carefully about your and enemy units. You may look for tips in this thread (or even find a replay in the forums), ask for suggestion if that doesn't help.

Adamant14, I know that people already complained about the first scenario, you made it easier and perhaps don't want to make it more easy. Anyway I will give it one more try :) What do you think about removing one castle hex from enemy on the Easy difficulty? Speed of recruiting will be a little bit slower. Otherwise the the speed is the same at the beginning for all the difficulties. The amount of gold also should be rebalanced taking into account the amount of castle hexes if you will reduce them.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

sergey wrote: May 21st, 2019, 5:35 pm
You can skip AI movement animation in Preferences -> General -> Skip AI moves. The animation is shown if AI attacks, only movement is skipped. Which is not very important actually, I play with skipped movement.

Regarding the first scenario. When I saw it for the first time I thought it is impossible. However, now it is my favourite scenario among all Wesnoth scenarios I ever played 8) I recommend spending some time for trying different tactics, think carefully about your and enemy units. You may look for tips in this thread (or even find a replay in the forums), ask for suggestion if that doesn't help.

Adamant14, I know that people already complained about the first scenario, you made it easier and perhaps don't want to make it more easy. Anyway I will give it one more try :) What do you think about removing one castle hex from enemy on the Easy difficulty? Speed of recruiting will be a little bit slower. Otherwise the the speed is the same at the beginning for all the difficulties. The amount of gold also should be rebalanced taking into account the amount of castle hexes if you will reduce them.
I believe that on hardest difficulty this scenario is still too easy. I passed it without any problems.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

sergey wrote: May 21st, 2019, 5:35 pm Adamant14, I know that people already complained about the first scenario, you made it easier and perhaps don't want to make it more easy. Anyway I will give it one more try :) What do you think about removing one castle hex from enemy on the Easy difficulty? Speed of recruiting will be a little bit slower. Otherwise the the speed is the same at the beginning for all the difficulties. The amount of gold also should be rebalanced taking into account the amount of castle hexes if you will reduce them.
I had the same idea years ago. :D
But after some play-tests I realized that it makes the scenario way too easy. The enemy just can not generate enough troops, he is way too easy to defeat. That's why I decided to put it back.
Nevertheless, thanks for the idea.
sergey

Post by sergey »

EarthCake wrote: May 21st, 2019, 5:38 pm I believe that on hardest difficulty this scenario is still too easy. I passed it without any problems.
The main challenge is to find out the strategy. When it is found, player should calmly follow the strategy and defeat the horde. If it will be very challenging even when you know the strategy, then I afraid it may scare off players. It is the first scenario, it shouldn't be super hard I believe.
Adamant14 wrote: May 21st, 2019, 5:45 pm I had the same idea years ago. :D
But after some play-tests I realized that it makes the scenario way too easy. The enemy just can not generate enough troops, he is way too easy to defeat. That's why I decided to put it back.
Nevertheless, thanks for the idea.
Something that is a way too easy for an expert player is impossible for novice. I will play-test the 7-hex enemy castle and compare it to the current 8-hex castle. I will try to be unbiased and tell how it feels. Of course it is up to you to change anything or not, I am just curious to try the difference.
Last edited by sergey on May 21st, 2019, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

sergey wrote: May 21st, 2019, 5:53 pm
EarthCake wrote: May 21st, 2019, 5:38 pm I believe that on hardest difficulty this scenario is still too easy. I passed it without any problems.
The main challenge is to find out the strategy. When it is found, player should calmly follow the strategy and defeat the horde. If it will be very challenging even when you know the strategy, then I afraid it may scare off players. It is the first scenario, it shouldn't be super hard I believe.
I would like to see your replay and strategy. My strategy was to hold encampment in the south, while east I sent several spearmans to hold villages.
My main recruits were spearmans and horsemans.
I cannot post replay right now, so :cry:
sergey

Post by sergey »

My replay is here viewtopic.php?f=31&t=49199#p636884
The super secret strategy:
Last edited by sergey on May 22nd, 2019, 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

For the first scenario, maybe add the hint that
Spoiler:
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

sergey wrote: May 21st, 2019, 5:35 pm Regarding the first scenario. When I saw it for the first time I thought it is impossible. However, now it is my favourite scenario among all Wesnoth scenarios I ever played 8) I recommend spending some time for trying different tactics, think carefully about your and enemy units.
Thank you very much :)

sergey wrote: May 21st, 2019, 5:53 pm Something that is a way too easy for an expert player is impossible for novice. I will play-test the 7-hex enemy castle and compare it to the current 8-hex castle. I will try to be unbiased and tell how it feels. Of course it is up to you to change anything or not, I am just curious to try the difference.
Please share your experience and your impression after your tests, I am curious if you share my impression or not.

@ Octalot:

Good idea, thank you. I just have to decide where I should add that hint. To the objectives, or to my help-menu.