Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Adamant14
Posts: 934
Joined: April 24th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Re: Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Post by Adamant14 »

Konrad2 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 10:51 am Back to the Light
'Killing' the Ogre leader only gives fight xp instead of kill xp.
Fixed
I wonder how many players decide to kill Gorr here? :hmm:

Konrad2 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 10:51 am The Dungeon
There is a skeleton image on 20,2 which is a stone wall.
Fixed.

Konrad2 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 10:51 am Why are the Cursed Rocks Undead instead of Elemental? (Both Race and Trait.)
:hmm: Elemental "sounds" somehow not evil enough. In my ears (no native speaker) elemental sounds like natural when it should sound unnatural, sounds like white when it should sound black. These stonecreatures are raised by evil magic. Really bad bad evil magic.
It is true that undead doesn't fit also. :doh:
I am really not sure what is better undead, elemental, or maybe there is a third and better option to replace undead here.
Every suggestion here is welcome.

Konrad2 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 10:51 am Once you've saved the book the Cursed Rocks have no idea what they are supposed to do.
The player may farm XP if he likes to. :whistle:

Do you think they are too easy to deal with?
Unfortunately your replay is broken and I can't fix it, so I can't see how you have managed it.
The replay crashes when the battle with the stone monsters starts, too bad.
(All other replays can be watched. This is the first that does not work.)

Konrad2 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 10:51 am In general you created more weapon specials/abilities than you had to.
Examples:
Sword of Creeping Death = poison
sword of eternal fire = change the name of the weapon and and the damage type
ring of might = ... that one is actually fair. Although you could also just change the stats without immortalizing it in the abilites.

Probably the armors, the ring of speed, and some Amulett that lets me deal arcane damage. I am actually not able to see those abilities because my screen isn't big enough. :/
Good point. I myself am not satisfied with it either, and have been thinking about changing it for a long time. I'm just not sure how exactly.

The first thing I'm going to change is, I saw the same unit from you picked up both swords, the poisoned sword and the burning sword. That shouldn't be possible.

Konrad2 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 10:51 am Skilled White Mage has 'flail' as melee attack, but he is using a staff.
Fixed.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Konrad2
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2760
Joined: November 24th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Re: Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Post by Konrad2 »

Adamant14 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 1:37 pm
Konrad2 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 10:51 am Why are the Cursed Rocks Undead instead of Elemental? (Both Race and Trait.)
:hmm: Elemental "sounds" somehow not evil enough. In my ears (no native speaker) elemental sounds like natural when it should sound unnatural, sounds like white when it should sound black. These stonecreatures are raised by evil magic. Really bad bad evil magic.
It is true that undead doesn't fit also. :doh:
I am really not sure what is better undead, elemental, or maybe there is a third and better option to replace undead here.
Every suggestion here is welcome.
First of all, why does it have to be 'evil' magic?
Konrad2 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 10:51 am Once you've saved the book the Cursed Rocks have no idea what they are supposed to do.
The player may farm XP if he likes to. :whistle:
Do you think they are too easy to deal with?
Unfortunately your replay is broken and I can't fix it, so I can't see how you have managed it.
The replay crashes when the battle with the stone monsters starts, too bad.
(All other replays can be watched. This is the first that does not work.)
Maybe? I went full Wose there, so that probably helped.

What kind of error message did you get? The replay works for me.

When the Cursed Rocks rise again, maybe have them retain the xp they gained before being temporarly destroyed? It would be a nice touch.
User avatar
Adamant14
Posts: 934
Joined: April 24th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Re: Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Post by Adamant14 »

Konrad2 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 2:17 pm First of all, why does it have to be 'evil' magic?
What I mean is, that these are not naturally created beings, not living beings. Not alive -> not dead -> undead (somehow)
And undead is always bad.

Konrad2 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 10:51 am What kind of error message did you get? The replay works for me.

Code: Select all

20201231 15:26:50 error replay: found [move] command in replay expecting a user choice
20201231 15:26:50 error replay: found [attack] command in replay expecting a user choice
20201231 15:27:03 error replay: found [attack] command in replay expecting a user choice
20201231 15:27:03 error replay: found [attack] command in replay expecting a user choice
20201231 15:27:03 error replay: [choose] expected but none found
. found instead:
from_side = 3
[attack]
	attacker_lvl = 2
	attacker_type = ASoR_RockGolem
	defender_lvl = 2
	defender_type = Elvish Trapper
	defender_weapon = 0
	tod = underground
	turn = 11
	weapon = 0
	[source]
		x = 24
		y = 18
	[/source]
	[destination]
		x = 24
		y = 17
	[/destination]
[/attack]
[checkup]
	[result]
		chance = 60
		damage = 8
		hits = yes
	[/result]
	[result]
		dies = no
	[/result]
	[result]
		chance = 30
		damage = 0
		hits = no
	[/result]
	[result]
		dies = no
	[/result]
	[result]
		chance = 60
		damage = 8
		hits = yes
	[/result]
	[result]
		dies = no
	[/result]
	[result]
		chance = 30
		damage = 4
		hits = yes
	[/result]
	[result]
		dies = no
	[/result]
	[result]
		chance = 30
		damage = 4
		hits = yes
	[/result]
	[result]
		dies = no
	[/result]
	[result]
		chance = 30
		damage = 0
		hits = no
	[/result]
	[result]
		dies = no
	[/result]
	[result]
		next_unit_id = 1260
		random_calls = 6
	[/result]
[/checkup]
Konrad2 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 2:17 pm When the Cursed Rocks rise again, maybe have them retain the xp they gained before being temporarly destroyed? It would be a nice touch.
They can not advance, so it is not really important.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Konrad2
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2760
Joined: November 24th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Re: Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Post by Konrad2 »

Adamant14 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 2:40 pm
Konrad2 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 2:17 pm First of all, why does it have to be 'evil' magic?
What I mean is, that these are not naturally created beings, not living beings. Not alive -> not dead -> undead (somehow)
And undead is always bad.
Elementals are not (necessarily) naturally created beings either. That doesn't make them undead, nor evil. I'm just wondering why you want those guardians to be evil/bad/a result of evil magic. What's wrong with them being a result of magic which doesn't have to be evil?


Am I seeing correctly that the Sword of Eternal Fire slows?

It looks like the Fallen is supposed to be an advancement of the Soulless, which is right now not the case.
(Btw, your special notes don't follow the same format as the special notes of mainline right now.)

freezes (slows) = slows

Why shroud the inside/outside depending on whose turn it is?
Attachments
ASoR-The Volcano Mountain replay 20201231-204141.gz
(157.28 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
User avatar
Adamant14
Posts: 934
Joined: April 24th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Re: Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Post by Adamant14 »

Konrad2 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 6:58 pm
Adamant14 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 2:40 pm
Konrad2 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 2:17 pm First of all, why does it have to be 'evil' magic?
What I mean is, that these are not naturally created beings, not living beings. Not alive -> not dead -> undead (somehow)
And undead is always bad.
Elementals are not (necessarily) naturally created beings either. That doesn't make them undead, nor evil. I'm just wondering why you want those guardians to be evil/bad/a result of evil magic. What's wrong with them being a result of magic which doesn't have to be evil?
OK, I think I should change the stone monster from undead to elemental.

Konrad2 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 6:58 pm Am I seeing correctly that the Sword of Eternal Fire slows?
No, but maybe the same unit has taken the Ring of Cold?
The Ring of Cold has a slowing effect.

Konrad2 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 6:58 pm freezes (slows) = slows
Yes.

Konrad2 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 6:58 pm It looks like the Fallen is supposed to be an advancement of the Soulless, which is right now not the case.
Thank you for noting that.

Konrad2 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 6:58 pm (Btw, your special notes don't follow the same format as the special notes of mainline right now.)
I use the same cfg files for 1.14 and 1.15 (the new format doesn't work on 1.14)
I will change that when 1.16 comes out.

Konrad2 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 6:58 pm Why shroud the inside/outside depending on whose turn it is?
Just for the mood, to give the player the feeling that Antar and his men are deep under the vulcano, and the defenders are outside on the surface.
Nothing more.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Konrad2
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2760
Joined: November 24th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Re: Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Post by Konrad2 »

Adamant14 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 10:59 pm
Konrad2 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 6:58 pm Am I seeing correctly that the Sword of Eternal Fire slows?
No, but maybe the same unit has taken the Ring of Cold?
The Ring of Cold has a slowing effect.
I checked again, and the Sword does slow.
Attachments
ASoR-The Dungeon-Auto-Save9.gz
Before the unit has the sword. (Doesn't slow with melee.)
(95.45 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
ASoR-The Dungeon-Auto-Save10.gz
When the unit picks up the sword. (Slows with melee now.)
(95.76 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
User avatar
Adamant14
Posts: 934
Joined: April 24th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Re: Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Post by Adamant14 »

Konrad2 wrote: January 1st, 2021, 9:44 am
Adamant14 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 10:59 pm
Konrad2 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 6:58 pm Am I seeing correctly that the Sword of Eternal Fire slows?
No, but maybe the same unit has taken the Ring of Cold?
The Ring of Cold has a slowing effect.
I checked again, and the Sword does slow.
After a look into my code I have to say you are right. Seems I have forgotten that fact.
I must have added slow for some reason, probably because I thought fire damaged units must move slower than a healthy unit.
Sorry for not remembering that.

I have to thank you for playing, spotting, and reporting all those bugs and issues.
I am really impressed how many things you have noticed. Many of them were not easy to find.
Impressive.
Thank you very much.

I hope you have enjoyed the campaign despite these bugs nonetheless?
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Konrad2
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2760
Joined: November 24th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Re: Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Post by Konrad2 »

Adamant14 wrote: January 1st, 2021, 12:45 pm I hope you have enjoyed the campaign despite these bugs nonetheless?
Yes, I did. :) It's not an amount that makes it difficult to enjoy.

Siegemauler (advancement of the Fallen) has only 2 strikes and deals 2x14 = 28 damage, while Fallen has 3 strikes and deals 3x11 = 33 damage.

Fallen and Siegemauler have standard (live) human resistances instead of undead resistances.

Death Squire uses the animation of Death Lord for ranged attacks.

The Crystal
Outside Undead enemy and allied Dwarves don't want to leave their castles.

The Ghosts and Wraiths and Shadows you encounter are unable to earn xp. (No advancement choice and no AMLA macro.)

Ring of Stone has no image in the attack dialog.

Gelphrad isn't dealing any damage to the Crystal.
Attachments
ASoR-The Crystal-Auto-Save30.gz
Gelphrad dealing no damage
(264.41 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
ASoR-The Crystal-Auto-Save5.gz
Undead/Dwarves barely moving
(176.04 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
User avatar
Adamant14
Posts: 934
Joined: April 24th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Re: Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Post by Adamant14 »

Konrad2 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 1:50 pm Siegemauler (advancement of the Fallen) has only 2 strikes and deals 2x14 = 28 damage, while Fallen has 3 strikes and deals 3x11 = 33 damage.
What about 14 x 3 for the Siegmauler?
Konrad2 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 1:50 pm Fallen and Siegemauler have standard (live) human resistances instead of undead resistances.
Is that not usual for Waking Corpse and its advancements?
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Konrad2
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2760
Joined: November 24th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Re: Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Post by Konrad2 »

Adamant14 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 3:27 pm What about 14 x 3 for the Siegmauler?
Sounds good (and was probably intended at some point).
Is that not usual for Waking Corpse and its advancements?
Yes, it is. WC and Soulless have -40% arcane resistance, while living humans have +20% arcance resistance.

(I added some more to my post while you were writing yours.)
User avatar
Adamant14
Posts: 934
Joined: April 24th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Re: Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Post by Adamant14 »

Konrad2 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 1:50 pm Gelphrad isn't dealing any damage to the Crystal.
That is really bad. :doh: :doh: :doh:

You can win the scenario with Dagor having adjacent to Gelphrad.
It is intended that Gelphrad needs Dagors help to destroy the Crystal.
But it is not intended that Gelphrad alone can not take damage on the crystal. That is a bug, and I have to look into the code again. :augh:

Edit:

Maybe the objectives aren't clear enough?


Konrad2 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 1:50 pm Siegemauler (advancement of the Fallen) has only 2 strikes and deals 2x14 = 28 damage, while Fallen has 3 strikes and deals 3x11 = 33 damage.
Fixed, thank you.

Konrad2 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 1:50 pm Death Squire uses the animation of Death Lord for ranged attacks.
Fixed, thank you.

Konrad2 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 1:50 pm The Crystal
Outside Undead enemy and allied Dwarves don't want to leave their castles.
I will check that.

Konrad2 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 1:50 pm The Ghosts and Wraiths and Shadows you encounter are unable to earn xp. (No advancement choice and no AMLA macro.)
Already fixed in my working version.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Konrad2
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2760
Joined: November 24th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Re: Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Post by Konrad2 »

Adamant14 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 3:47 pm
Konrad2 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 1:50 pm Gelphrad isn't dealing any damage to the Crystal.
That is really bad. :doh: :doh: :doh:

You can win the scenario with Dagor having adjacent to Gelphrad.
It is intended that Gelphrad needs Dagors help to destroy the Crystal.
But it is not intended that Gelphrad alone can not take damage on the crystal. That is a bug, and I have to look into the code again. :augh:

Maybe the objectives aren't clear enough?
Yeah, I'd blame the objectives for this one. It is said that I can place Dagor next to Gelphrad so the crystal deals less damage to Gelphrad, but nothing that was said implies that Dagor is necessary to deal damage to the crystal.
Konrad2 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 1:50 pm Siegemauler (advancement of the Fallen) has only 2 strikes and deals 2x14 = 28 damage, while Fallen has 3 strikes and deals 3x11 = 33 damage.
Fixed, thank you.
Did you mean to quote the resistances thing?


takes damaged -> takes damage

Btw, the crystal grows bigger when attacked, but that's the only thing that changes, right?
Attachments
ASoR-The Crystal replay 20210102-181036.gz
(206.69 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
User avatar
Adamant14
Posts: 934
Joined: April 24th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Re: Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Post by Adamant14 »

Konrad2 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 1:50 pm Fallen and Siegemauler have standard (live) human resistances instead of undead resistances.
Fixed.

Konrad2 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 1:50 pm Gelphrad isn't dealing any damage to the Crystal.
Fixed.

Konrad2 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 5:01 pm Yeah, I'd blame the objectives for this one. It is said that I can place Dagor next to Gelphrad so the crystal deals less damage to Gelphrad, but nothing that was said implies that Dagor is necessary to deal damage to the crystal.
Yes I see, that was not clear enough. I have added a final objective:

Code: Select all

                caption= _ "Final objectives:"
                description=_ "Destroy the crystal that contains Mal Ravanal's life essence with Gelphrad, and Dagor adjacent Gelphrad"

Konrad2 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 5:01 pm takes damaged -> takes damage
Fixed.

Konrad2 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 5:01 pm Btw, the crystal grows bigger when attacked, but that's the only thing that changes, right?
Yes, my plan was that the power of the crystal grows with its size, but I have never coded that part.
The code is already overcomplicated. :augh:
Maybe some day I will add that part. :whistle:



Did you find any scenario too easy?
Or maybe one scenario way to hard?
Did you find one scenario boring?


Edit:
You splited up your troops, you went left and right, although Gelphrad said which way was the right one. Unexpectedly. Why did you do that?
Didn't you noticed Gelphrads hint?
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Konrad2
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2760
Joined: November 24th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Re: Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Post by Konrad2 »

Adamant14 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 9:14 pm Did you find any scenario too easy?
Or maybe one scenario way to hard?
Did you find one scenario boring?

Edit:
You splited up your troops, you went left and right, although Gelphrad said which way was the right one. Unexpectedly. Why did you do that?
Didn't you noticed Gelphrads hint?
I don't think any scenario was too hard, the cave scenario was a bit tedious (elves/woses in a cave...), just like the the snow scenario, because snow. :c

You've left a lot of items lying around, so I wanted to check if there are some more there. I only found 400 gold though.

EDIT:
Added my replays to the my replay forum.
User avatar
Adamant14
Posts: 934
Joined: April 24th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Re: Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Post by Adamant14 »

Thank you for your feedback and the replays. It's unbelievable how many details you have discovered, some of them very hidden. Your contribution really helped improve the quality of the campaign. Many Thanks.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Post Reply