Cities of the Frontier - now for BfW 1.11

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fcbond

Re: Cities of the Frontier - now for BfW 1.11

Post by fcbond »

G'day,

thanks for the fix! I played with 6 turn seasons for several years, and everything seems to work except I lost some outlaws (but not all) in the Winter/Spring transition. Elves and undead appeared, but no orcs.

I will now play with the normal timing and see how it goes.

Thanks again for resurrecting my favourite campaign.

Francis
fcbond

Post by fcbond »

G'day,

I noticed that this is based on version 0.5.1, esci uploaded a new version (0.6.1) available here: http://files.wesnoth.org/addons/1.11/Ci ... er.tar.bz2 and announced in this forum a couple of pages back. It would be nice to try to merge, ...

Francis
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Hi, I didn't know that there was version 0.6.1. It's a good idea to be based on a newer version.
Well, it's enclave who started upgrading this add-on to 1.14, but he doesn't seem to appear here for a while.
I think we have two options.
1: Wait for enclave to merge version 0.6.1.
2: Start work with us.

I'm a fan of this add-on and I want to play 1.14, so I choose number two. When the result of the work comes out, post here. And anyone who can help me with this work is welcome.
Creator of "Mountain Witch" & "Castle of evil spirit"
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Version 0.6.1 has been made to work with 1.14.
First of all, although we have confirmed that it will work until transitioning to the summer scenario, there is a possibility that problems may occur somewhere as we have not verified all the code. Please let me know if you find a bug.
Then I included .pot for translation.

I added

In addition, fixed some minor bugs and added Japanese translation files. Attach a new file and delete the old one.

Known issues with this version.
1: Some messages do not have translation enabled.
2: Occasionally, loading of the campaign fails.

I have no intention of modifying this add-on, so I hope other people will take over the work instead. See ya!
Attachments
translations.zip
(95.79 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
Cities_of_the_Frontier.zip
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 386 times
fcbond

Post by fcbond »

Wow! thanks IIIO_METAL, I will test it.

I have been heavily testing the earlier version (10 games or more), and found it works, and the elves and undead attack, but the orcs never do. I will try this version now, ...
fcbond

Post by fcbond »

G'day,

I played a couple of games to completion. The new maps make things much harder: more hills and trees, several games I could not get past spring --- by the time I found a flat place the outlaws were already upon me.

The new relics and calamities are great, but I am still not getting any attacks from the orcs.

I think it it probably worth uploading this version to the server, it is an improvement on the current version.

There seemed to be a bug when the Gryphon arrived (but I could not copy it, next game I will try to put logging on).

Finally, when you reach 1,000 and it asks if you want to keep going, if you say yes, then it asks again each turn (which is annoying). Maybe only ask at the start of a new season?

Thanks again everyone for all your work.
warcece

Post by warcece »

I need a working copy of this game.helPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

The first scenario of the campaign works on 1.14.7, but on at least second and third you spawn as a skeletal dragon with no other units or a keep.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

ThinkSome wrote: July 31st, 2019, 9:37 pm The first scenario of the campaign works on 1.14.7, but on at least second and third you spawn as a skeletal dragon with no other units or a keep.
The version currently on the add-on server has been uploaded by the enclave with modifications.
Apart from this version, I am uploading a modified version to this thread.
Skeletal Dragon does not appear in this version.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36004&sid=70d8d0fb6 ... 50#p643735

However, there are still big bugs in this version. Unfortunately, I do not have time to spend on this issue and I hope others will solve it.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

For anyone who'd like to know, vghetto uploaded a fork of this campaign.
WackoJacko

Post by WackoJacko »

I remember playing a while back and i got the skeletal dragon bug too. Has this been fixed or should I just play the new one?
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Hi,

I sent a PM to enclave asking to maintain this project, I also posted a message to the admins asking to delete enclave's port from the server so I can upload my version with the fixes. I didn't get a reply from either party, so I forked this project instead with the fixes. My version fixes all of the bugs mentioned in this thread and more. But, note my version deviates a little from esci's original version. That's why it was probably a better idea to fork instead of maintaining this one.

esci's intention was to add a winter calamity and an allied faction, I implemented both of those new features.
esci's intention was to allow recruiting fencers with a new building, I implemented that but making it that if you built a second armorer then you'd get the fencer. I also added that if you built a second stable then you'd be able to recruit horsemen.

My other changes that weren't in esci's plans were introducing a quota system for how many raids/outlaws you'd get in a single season. I also changed the income for the orcs and the way they behaved at the end of the season and the beginning of the next.
Orcs in the original retreated in the winter, I made them stay but lose their recruiting ability, the leader will abandon his keep and go after you.
I also added the feature that you can burn down the orc's and the loyalists' keeps.
In the original, it was only when you defeated the orcs leader then you'd get 200 gold, I changed that to be when
you defeated any leader then you'd get whatever gold that enemy side accumulated up to that point. All enemy's gold gets reset to 0 at the beginning of spring.

There are other small changes here and there, but overall Wild Frontiers is very close in spirit of Cities of the Frontier.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

vghetto wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 5:40 pm I sent a PM to enclave asking to maintain this project, I also posted a message to the admins asking to delete enclave's port from the server so I can upload my version with the fixes. I didn't get a reply from either party, so I forked this project instead with the fixes.
We get a lot of people accidentally adding the admins group to the list of recipients for stuff that we probably shouldn't read, so I kind of just assumed this was yet another case of that since nothing in your message directly addressed us.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
James_The_Invisible

Post by James_The_Invisible »

Iris wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 12:44 am
vghetto wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 5:40 pm I sent a PM to enclave asking to maintain this project, I also posted a message to the admins asking to delete enclave's port from the server so I can upload my version with the fixes. I didn't get a reply from either party, so I forked this project instead with the fixes.
We get a lot of people accidentally adding the admins group to the list of recipients for stuff that we probably shouldn't read, so I kind of just assumed this was yet another case of that since nothing in your message directly addressed us.
Maybe that is not accidental as this post tells to send messages about some issues to the Forum Administrators group instead of Site Administrators (I assume this one would be more appropriate) or specific people.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Iris wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 12:44 am
It's fine. You are correct, the PM to enclave didn't address the admins, it was more of a cc to the admins rather than anything else. The post where I asked for the deletion of the enclave port was done publicly in the pinned Abandoned Add-ons thread. It was that post that didn't get any replies from admins/devs etc. I even included a patch of enclave's contributions. It doesn't matter now, I deleted that post before forking, I mentioned that in the reason for deletion text.