Cities of the Frontier - now for BfW 1.11

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Poetic

Re: Cities of the Frontier - now for BfW 1.11

Post by Poetic »

I would love to see a second version of this add-on.

One with a secondary victory objective after 1000 gold. I would also love to see a multi-player version of this scenario. Or if it was a campaign where each map required the founding of a city or new outpost in order to succeed. Is this still actively being updated?

Thank you for creating it! I really enjoyed this one.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

I also like this add-on.
Unfortunately the author seems to have not appeared since 2014, is not it?
The multiplayer version of this is a fascinating idea.
In that case, if there are three players or more, will it be a psychological warfare like Monopoly?
Creator of "Mountain Witch" & "Castle of evil spirit"
fcbond

Post by fcbond »

Any chance of this being ported to 1.12?

I am a big fan, but my Ubuntu only gives me 1.11, and Cities of the Frontier is no longer among the add-ons.
fcbond

Post by fcbond »

I would also love to see a version for the latest engine.
Seivn

Post by Seivn »

Been looking for this for a long time. Any news if this will be made for the latest version of wesnoth?
enclave

Post by enclave »

i went to wesnoth 1.10 addon server, downloaded the campaign, loaded it in 1.14, it had a major bug, but I managed to fix it.. it has other minor bugs, I hope they dont affect gameplay. So the Cities of the Frontier is available on 1.14 addon server now. I dont guarantee it will work through without problems, but there is a good chance that it will. Very interesting add-on..
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Hello enclave. This campaign had been abandoned for a long time since esci came out. It is a very good news that someone took over this appeared.

I tested what you uploaded and encountered a fatal problem.
The event to take over the data to the next scenario is written with lua, but because the specification is out of date, it is not working properly. It is necessary to rewrite lua or replace with existing WML.

If you have not done so already, you should declare that you inherited this campaign, "Abandoned Campaigns - Need Maintainers - Open to Anyone" is the place.
enclave

Post by enclave »

IIIO_METAL wrote: December 4th, 2018, 7:59 am I tested what you uploaded and encountered a fatal problem.
The event to take over the data to the next scenario is written with lua, but because the specification is out of date, it is not working properly. It is necessary to rewrite lua or replace with existing WML.
so you mean on turn 36 or whatever turn it is the game gives lua error and can not continue?
A screenshot or text details of error could help. Thanks.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

In this campaign, using lua at the beginning of the scenario, trying to define four types of save_map, load_map, store_shroud, and set_shroud, it seems that an error has occurred due to the old syntax.
I will attach a log file for reference.
Spoiler:
enclave

Post by enclave »

IIIO_METAL wrote: December 6th, 2018, 9:39 am I will attach a log file for reference.
Thank you very much, i will investigate into this ;)
Trossknecht

Post by Trossknecht »

In the course of several attempts to play "Cities of the Frontier", I encountered something that may well be a bug. In each attempt, I am able to play the first scenario of the campaign without difficulty. After that, however, I find myself stuck in a seemingly endless loop of four scenarios, each of which is named for a season of the year and all of which feature a single skeletal dragon. As this monster is incapable of engaging in any sort of building or recruiting, and victory requires nothing more than survival, game play consists of roaming about the map, fighting various low-value critters, and avoiding groups of outlaws.

I am playing version 1.14.3 on a Mac laptop running OS 10.12.6 (Sierra).
Spoiler:
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

That is a problem caused by the lua script not working. If lua's problem is solved, that phenomenon should not occur.
Also, the part written in lua may be replaced by WML. Although you do not know whether you can really do it unless you actually try, save_map and store_shroud can be substituted by [store_locations], load_map and set_shroud are considered to be feasible by rewriting the terrain with the data obtained by [store_locations].
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

For defining new tags there is wesnoth.wml_actions and wesnoth.wml_conditionals and something for custom effects too.
fcbond

Post by fcbond »

Hi,

I am having the same problem with the skeletal dragon appearing at the end of spring.

I would really appreciate it if someone could fix this, I am a big fan of Cities of the Frontier, and would love to play it on the latest Wesnoth.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Hello,
I tried replacing the lua part with the existing WML event so that the skeleton dragon would not come out. We confirmed that we could transition to the spring scenario without problems.
Replace the two files attached with the file in the add-on folder.
Attachments
general_macros.cfg
(18.37 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
_main.cfg
(2.76 KiB) Downloaded 319 times