Question/Campaign Idea

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

blueknight1758

Question/Campaign Idea

Post by blueknight1758 »

Hello all,
I haven't played Wenoth for a while.because of distractions (Skyrim...) but I've came back to it now and at the same time I am reading the 'Inheritance' book series and realized that they might as well be set in the same universe.
So is this allowed to be done? That is making a.campaign modeled on a book.
I start anyway and post my progress as it gets done.
Wish me luck...
uncleshelby

Re: Question/Campaign Idea

Post by uncleshelby »

Always remember copyrights.
Timshel
perseo

Post by perseo »

Are you talking 'bout crishtopher paolini books? I don't know coz of the translation to my language. Be sure, Paolini's worlds is pretty similar to Tolkien's one and he has no problems with it. Hasn't he?
¡Salud!
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

Bear in mind that Paolini himself did borrow a lot of ideas from other writers, but still became famous. I think the copyright hounds may not be as keen on your scent if you just change some names and a few geographical sights.
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Is it possible to create something like this as a kind of fanfiction?
However you should be careful and at least write a disclaimer: is there a project like this here in wesnoth?
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Radh

Post by Radh »

The Inheritance Cycle isn't entirely original itself, as Boldek said. You may wish to change the names, and in your forum post - say it is based off of the Inheritance Cycle, but following the storyline shouldn't be a problem.

This sounds like an interesting idea, so good luck with it!
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

You would have to change certain exact aspects also. All the names would have to be changed, along with the time-line and the basic storyline in general. A lot of the characters would have to be changed too (appearance, relationships, etc.), along with character roles and other less important things. But hey, sounds cool! Feel free to ask us for any help or advice you may need! :D
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

blueknight1758 wrote:Hello all,
I haven't played Wenoth for a while.because of distractions (Skyrim...) but I've came back to it now and at the same time I am reading the 'Inheritance' book series and realized that they might as well be set in the same universe.
So is this allowed to be done? That is making a.campaign modeled on a book.
I start anyway and post my progress as it gets done.
Wish me luck...
Two issues.

1. Inheritance is copyrighted, as others have noted.

2. It really isn't that much like Wesnoth. The political situation is so far as I recall only similar during Heir to the Throne and Rise of Wesnoth, and the way magic works is really different. Wesnoth also generally has fewer religious references than Inheritence, which has fairly detailed information on various religious customs within its world. And dragons are a pretty minor feature in Wesnoth: as far as I recall there's only one appearance in main line.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
perseo

Post by perseo »

The Great Rings wrote: And dragons are a pretty minor feature in Wesnoth: as far as I recall there's only one appearance in main line.
In fact, dragons are monsters, no friends. And they appear as a dangerous foe which is mostly extinted, a remain of past eras but there're some campaigns that aren't based in the world of Wesnoth we all know as can be to the lands unknown and this kind of things.
¡Salud!
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

The Great Rings wrote:And dragons are a pretty minor feature in Wesnoth: as far as I recall there's only one appearance in main line.
Two living dragons (TRoW and SoF), one skeletal dragon (EI).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
blueknight1758

Post by blueknight1758 »

ok thank you for the feedback, yes I am talking about the paoloni books and im aware of religious differences but by similarities I meant the races in wesnoth are remarkably similar (elves dwarves etc.) and the orcs could double up as what paoloni calls the urgals, and with some minor graphical editing im sure I could adapt a few extra (crudely drawn Frankies) units and races...
Yes I will change characters names and place names to avoid copyright etc, but in general the story line I would like to keep the same. Maybe a change here and there to keep the campaign running smoothly ie. no long scene of training and such.
The magic system however will need some looking at and I may attempt a sort of MP (magic point) system to limit spells but that will be low priority for now... I will Try devise a scenario for the first major battle of multiple races in the series (battle of burning plains in the book) to and submit it so balances can be viewed because the books say that for instance an elf is said to throw a man 30 feet with one hand, something their current stats don't quite back up...

Well of to the burning plains ahem I mean smoldering hills...