Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lu_zero

Re: Strange Legacy - 0.96 Wesnoth Trading/RPG

Post by lu_zero »

With the scholar I get the ranged weapon stuck with the basic magic and w/out a way to update it.

Upon entering the capital the gold gets reset

Beside that I really had fun with the game.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for the feedback and the bugreport. Yes, it seems that the enter town macro is a little bit corrupted, so if you buy a good on the market and enter the town the gold will reset. I have to look into that to fix it - that is really an annoying bug.

You will be able to develop the "Advanced Magic" if you have not equipped the basic magic. So unequip the basic magic, than level up and the option should be there. :lol2: I fixed that bug already and upload a new version soon.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

Heindal wrote: You will be able to develop the "Advanced Magic" if you have not equipped the basic magic. So unequip the basic magic, than level up and the option should be there. :lol2: I fixed that bug already and upload a new version soon.
The problem is that sometimes it appears a Magic advancement identical to the one you already have equipped.

If you take it (so making it two) your option to unequip disappear.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Ok I see. I quickly reviewed the source code and fixed that. Version 0.97 has been uploaded.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

Wonderful, I noticed dexterity is not rising ranged (magic) attack now. Is that on purpose?

Actually by unsetting and resetting the ranged weapon the problem disappears (till the next upgrade).
for the melee nothing happens..
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks. Its not on purpose and I fixed that.
Samuel2

Post by Samuel2 »

Hi,

it may sound stupid but I searched for quite a while and did not found the snow upgrade. It is not in the cities.

Could it be a bug or am I just unable to get the trick?

Wonderful game
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

I played this for several hours; it was addictive and sometimes fun. Using Wesnoth 1.10.5. Some issues and suggestions:
  1. when switching maps or going into combat, the game prompts that it is overwriting a replay and i found that it is not often saving a loadable game, so i have to manually save if i want to be sure.
  2. the random combats were challenging at first and my character got knocked out often, but after i had upgraded a few times they were just annoying interruptions because they were so easy to beat. so the combats should get harder as you gain fame or look tougher, because random puny bandits wont even attack a veteran hero with several mercenaries.
  3. sometimes the random event said the bandit party was too large and automatically made me run away and lose fame and gold. it should not have done that when i was a veteran hero with lots of upgrades.
  4. it would be nice to have an immediate "Leave" option in the combat scenario where the character loses fame and gold just like the random event that forces this on them without a combat.
  5. the mercenaries i used in combats disappeared afterwards. i didnt learn this until i tried to call them again, so i wasted a lot of effort in the first combat trying to gain XP for the peasant mercenary and also lost an expensive fencer that never even got into the fight.
  6. the first time i used the "Slow" spell in a combat i accidentlaly clicked on myself, which maybe shouldnt be possible (or could be useful depending on circumstances). however, it didnt expire when i got out of the combat. additionally, from then onwards, whenever i used a Slow spell on an enemy in any combat, it would also slow me.
  7. it is very tedious to click twice to see my cargo, and thrice to see my stats. are there keyboard shortcuts for those and other frequently used commands?
  8. it would be more fun if there was some urgency to the open-ended adventure. for example: thugs coming to collect debts; a timeline for the orcs re-invading; gossip that contains news updates on changing situations that the player could intervene in.
  9. related to the above, the main map always seems to be in daylight and time does not seem to pass even though the turn counter advances.
  10. i never found any book or opportunity to advance the writing skill, even though i read all the books in the libraries and built one in my uncles cabin. was it because i started as a Worker?
  11. i couldnt see other weapons in my inventory until i put off the weapon i was using. same with shields etc.
  12. i acquired rights to trade in Open Ocean territory, but found that the commodities available and prices were almost the same as on the coast of Mainland.
  13. it takes so much clicking to buy 2 or more (but not max) of a commodity that i never bothered with any crafting that required more than one type of item in my cart. also, it doesnt seem that it would pay off to make those items.
  14. there are lots of minor english errors, do you want patches to fix them?
  15. the help dialogues show a lot of text that might be easier to read and lookup if they were integrated into the Wesnoth Help system.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thank you for your many suggestions and for playing. First of all, this game is not finished yet, but at the moment I lack the time to do something except for bugfixing and smaller improvements.

1. Save games are a big problem, I might need to change the whole inventory and object system.

2. Random Combats on the main map are very easy, especially as you are not killed as on other maps. I already saved the level "variable" and played with that a little. This will not effect the quality, but the number of enemies, so if you are at level 20 there should be 3 more enemies. I will lateron add some kind of fierce enemies such as smaller dragons and cursing kobolds (negative status effects). I will see what I can do.

3. Even though you are a top notch hero, there will always be situations where you can't do anything. But I might add a if then clause to check wether your level is high enough to beat the bandits in your way.

4. Good idea, I might think about that.

5. Yes, mercs are expensive and the function of mercenaries is to call them just once. You can however recall them in battles such as tower missions or city conquer mission, so they are not lost. I might add a way to recall the heroes using a 'horn' or something. There will be a greater variety of mercs, such as bards, elves, orcs, trolls, saurian, drakes and basic healers.

6. Ok, this appears to be a bug. I might add a filter so that you can not slow yourself.

7. Don't know if shortcuts are possible. I wanted to keep the helpmenu simple. I will add a "status" button, that will show your equipment and status at the same time, so it should reduce this to 2 clicks.

8. Yeah, true. I want to make this an infinite game that can be played for an eternity. I planned several things like that, for example wars between factions, weather that might destroy/damage your buildings, enemy armies that will try to reconquer your towns and npcs that walk around on the main and city maps. There will be even more - I planned several side quests, one for each town (hunting crabs in harbour city, take out undead pirates in the island...). This will take time.

9. I don't understand this one. I got a little problem with overtaking the day of time in encounters or missions.

10. you can increase writing only by working on your "desk". Desk is a piece of furniture that can be found in the island capital.

11. Yup, but I will not change that. I like the concept the way it is.

12. Changing prices is very time consuming at the moment. I have to think about a dynamic system with a dynamic market.
(so far I failed to do that - but this is something that might be done in one weekend up to one month of development)

13. Crafting is a little bit tricky. At the moment the only reason to craft items is to get a skill gain. With this skill gain, you will be able to craft top notch recipes which should be worth it.

14. I'm responsible for the language in this addon, so if you attach some textfiles it would be fine!

15. I don't know how to do that.

I will see what I can do, but I can't tell when I have time (+ motivation + open mind) to develop this campaign.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Samuel2: Just saw your post, I think there has been a question like this before so I will now post the location of all terrain upgrades.
I will also post a walktrough lateron as spoiler.

Edit: Thanks for the flowers Samuel2 ^^.
Spoiler:
Samuel2

Re: Strange Legacy - 0.97 Wesnoth Trading/RPG

Post by Samuel2 »

Its been a while, but thanks a lot, I just dont got it.

A general thought on the game, the javelin with the "hit and run" special in combination with a very high speed, is a very powerful combination, maybe too much, you can conquer alomst everyone without any other help.

But I like it a lot, especially the various combinations with spells, weapon changing, mercs, a kaleidoscopic way to play.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Maybe I will add some kind of enemies, that can slow down or have the hit and run special as well. However as the encounters/missions will get harder each level up I might reconsider making city battles more dangerous with each level up. I'm still working on a concept. Maybe I should just add the level to the spawned unit hitpoints :wink:.

However I realized that the temple function to heal negative stats is not working. Sorry for that, it will be fixed with the next update. If you should find yourself infected, weaked or cursed. There is said to be a fruit called "pango" :mrgreen: that can heal these negative stats.
Spoiler:
Shadurak

Post by Shadurak »

Hello. :)
I have tried the map and it seems pretty good, but I am experiencing one major flaw.
Monster nests don't work. Like, at all.
So what happens? I take the quest, easiest one, obviously. The nest appears on the world map, I go there and kill some rabbits. Fair enough. And then...nothing. No victory screen, no congratulations. I try walking all over the place, then I go to the "Flee" hexagon. Nope, the nest is still there and the quest is still on. I go in again and now I must kill some boars. Only this time, the alpha kills my mercs in one shot and the battle is much harder. Okay, I beat them - and the same thing happens. The battle map just stays on. I can press "End turn" countless times and it will stay the same.
Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I must do after I kill all monsters in the nest?
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for playing and the bug report. The monster nest missions might be buggy in some cases.

Background: When the mission starts a monster will be randomly diced out. For example boars or rabbits. Now every kill of certain monsters will be counted and a message "1/6 monsters killed" should appear until you killed all monsters on this map. Maybe this where I made a mistake, as some monster might be missing in the list definition, for example rabbits or boars - so killing these will not be registered as kill. By the way you can always abort a mission, by returning to the cityguards.

As the monsters are randomgenerated it is almost impossible for me to try all the combinations of monster nests, if they will actually work. I might check wether a side has been killed or something to make you win this mission. I will look into this, as soon as I have time and a "free" head.
Heindal

Re: Strange Legacy - 0.99 Wesnoth Trading/RPG

Post by Heindal »

Uploaded version 0.99

I recently had a little bit of time and I decided to finished the development of Strange Legacy. The story will be finished and ends in an epic battle and finally a boss fight. I needed the whole weekend to test it and all new features. This version should be bugfree, but please be so kind as to help me making this game perfect and report the bugs and grammatical or spelling mistake here, so I can finish this addon.

changes:

- bugfixes: monsternest missions (added the two missing monsters); improved item use (added more sides)
- improved cutscenes
- new storyelements and a real end
- new sounds
- moving npcs (in freemovement !) and talking options
- enchanted helpmenu - its easier to check the status and defence as well as all useable items are shown
- camping will allow you to heal exhaustment, if you are not attacked at night
- new shops and places such as: bardguild and pharmacy and different taverns
- booze and negative states such as drunk, which can be healed with medicine, coffee or by a healer
- global events (10 events so far: taxes, floods, thunderstorms, different conflicts)
global events will disappear when diced again, this means floods can end and conflicts can be solved
- 3 global conflicts - civil war, elves war, harbour siege - each can be solved in three ways
- difficulty will increase based on your level: the level will increase hitpoints, damage, movement and number sometimes even quality of enemies.
luck will however now reduce the hitpointbonus and even reduce the hitpoints of enemies, which makes this stat and luckgiving equipment more valuable
- living maps (changing events, walking passengers in streets and traders, caravans and armys on main maps)
- upgraded citylife
- new animations - around 10 new animations of civilian, based on many new selfmade pictures
- new pictures: icons, images, items, monsters, story and scenery
- new terrain for ship (not all has been used)
- new mercs: nomad troops, elf troops and sailors
- new encounters - enemies have a 50% chance to board a ship, campside missions, orcish army encounter (I mean a real orcish army)
- new units: anti-javelin unit Goblin Catcher and units with the new weapon specials Orcish Killer, Curser, Plaque, Weakener, Orc Heroes (never fight them in melee), Small Spiders, Spiderhunters, Naga deepcut, hero and boss units and many more
- new factions: pirate (AE) and undead pirates (unit definition selfmade, pictures Neoskel and Exasperation)
- orcboss and orcloot system to get the new orcweapons
- warhorns will allow you to recall mercenaries in any situation

I might have forgotten a lot of things, well you will find out by playing! Enjoy.

open issues/known bugs:

- new Spike and Devour abilities still don't work. this is not so bad and has so far no gamechanging effect, so it will be solved with the next update
- librarian first chapter - i fixed the gender for 1.00
- npc related encounters such as orcish armies and pirate ships and dialogue can be encountered on other maps as well - I already changed that by fixing the encounters to the map variable
- when encounters take place on a city spot, the game will still load the city map, but without the character - this can cause the game to crash - I will solve that by setting the encounter when entering a city. I coukd have forseen set, but the game is getting more and more complex.
- making a fire in camp reduces significantly the encounterchance, but it should just slightly decrease the encounter chance
(on the other hand while fire will keep away animals, it might attract humanoids - I got to rethink the concept)
- flute of fear has a wrong description - it combines splashslow and greater splash
- splashslow and splashdrain work nicely, but work like lifedrain - got to look into that

Edit: I was just testing and playing a little bit, the encounters can be annyoing with the increased difficulty - note that when you reach level 15 the damage, the movement point and the number of units is increased by one. In encounters with more than just one unit type, the number is increased for each.

I played as a bard just raising the charisma to use these very good instruments - it was fun and this strategy seems to work. Trading is still overpowered, due to the static prices, if you know where to find cheap goods. Still I have to say, you have to watch for good equipment and always travel well equipped. There is no time limit for a mission, even though the story will tell you to 'hurry'. Speed is essential and a teleport scroll can save you, so buy one as a emergency solution.