Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Heindal

Re: Strange Legacy - 1.12 RPG World - finished

Post by Heindal »

@Xargon - there are several events that can influence good prices, such as shortages and overproductions. These will either increase or decrease prices. I think that happened to you.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Uploaded new version 1.15.6 to BfW 1.12

- improved unit overlay for the dwarf hero
- added vampirecity scenario (map by forestdrake ... slight map changes made by me)
- added castle scenario (map by forestdrake ... slight map changes made by me)
- fixed missions problems, when taking a random mission
- added abort mission option for random missions
- added vampire faction
- repaired rings description and attributegain
- light mapchanges
- developed new scenario based concept for generated unittypes based on overlays (see vampirecity)
- changed icons in greater teleportscroll
- added Castle and Vampirecity to greater teleportscroll
- added summonercircle
- reduced starting equipment in RPG Mode, added special equipment based on your race selection
- added vampire portraits and graphics from ageless era - once again thanks to the creators
- Hardinessring is listed twice in crafting - fixed
- description of leather armor penalty of 1 is not listed.
- description speed penalty for the wood shield
- fearflute in the shop shows 10-3 instead of 7-3
- glas > "glass" fixed (saxon accent pfff)
- boxes stay in equipment when interested in delivery boxes --> renamed boxes to goods in the description
- the first status side is broken
- Diamondmine price increase (1 Mio)
- increase prices of all crafting ingredients
- challenges --> did changes to that, you have to take only one disadvantage but the drawbacks are worse on harder
- useable furniture in the house and the castle will now be labeled (even so you see labels for things you don't have, it increases curiosity where to find these items ^^)
- darksider killing missions added to the dark temples (highpriest will give them)
- killcount for encounters - the encounter will be left when you defeat enough enemies. this however works so far only in mainland. we will see if you like it - tell me (i like it, it will makes the gameplay faster -> if so I roll it out to the other encounters)
- Make high quality copies for the library
changed - you will need 150 writing and 1 Ink and 1 Paper, you will now increase up to 150 writing with normal copies.
The income for normal copies will randomly rewarded with 1-400 + intelligence gold and the high quality copies from 1-2500 + intelligence gold.
- you can now increase your writing skill infinitely with high quality copies
- you will however need it as you can now craft books which can be used to teach your npcs (bookofstrength 500 bookoffate 700 bookoflightning 900 bookoftraining 1200)
- terrainchanges --> armorrack and weaponrack showed different tiles than I selected. Maybe this is just a temporal problem with my version.
- repair charm attack --> it is repaired and stronger than before! The attack has a fix chance of 20% to hit a target, but will than convert the enemy to your side! So it should work every fifth attack. The drawback is decent however, as you are almost unable to counter enemy ranged attacks. Will not work on mechanical or leader, but will work fine on undeads as well - maybe the charm has touched their immortal soul. As it is some kind of influence magic, I think that is ok.
- by x consumable/goods --> this works differently than expected. For now there is no input yet, but a variety of options to quickly buy and sell consumables and goods
- you can now buy/sell multiple goods easily in the same way
- new animation for levelup
- option to turn into a vampire
- vampire increase damage for wounded units, all units including your hero will be affected by this change
(little drawback, which can be used in your favour, if you are smart)
- fixed orphan home buy fame bug
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

Hm... do I need to exit and reenter a scenario for the charm attack to work? I don't see any change...
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Maybe you have to restart. Sometimes parts of the utils / macros are cached. 4Usually you should be able to reload the game with the new content, so the charm should work. Try to unequip the charm and equip it again. If it has a 20% chance to hit and a different description, you know it has worked.
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

Leaving the scenario, unequipping and reequipping doesn't seem to change anything. Maybe the old item won't change?
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

You are sure you are using the stable version of 1.12, which I uploaded the new version to?
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

Yeah,... I also have the new interface for buying many crafting items at once, raised my writing to 500 or so and don't get ridiculous amounts of money for high quality copies. I think all of that was also part of the latest update.

I just un- and reinstalled Strange Legacy to see if it makes any difference (I remember that weirdly, when I installed the update, there was a subtext "outdated on server" below the update that I never saw before. It installed just fine though). It did make a difference, but I don't know what exactly is going on now. It still shows the old description, and my hitchance is shown as the standard one (was 58% in the encounter I just had), but the conversion did work on an opponent (on the first try). I will experiment a bit more...

edit: Hm... now I always get "11 of 2 enemies killed" in the encounters, i.e. it just counts up (for no apparent reason, I don't have an active quest of the sort)
Doesn't seem to work on all opponents, though. I met some mercenaries (type Hero) who seemed to be immune. Also, nothing happened when they reached their maximum XP (56/50, the same thing that happened for a war dog I believe). Edit2: I take that back, it was only one of those units. No idea why some are apparently immune. I don't think he had spell immunity, but I did not pay close attention. Does that matter?

one more edit: Can units on your recall list leave for some reason? I don't have a save, so this won't be of much use if it is not supposed to happen, but the first unit I charmed was a Shadow Lord, and he is not there anymore... I also have a charmed Red Mage on my recall list who for some reason now has a mace and a Strangebow attack. No clue what is going on there.

one last edit for today: It appears that you can start the scarecrow mission again after finishing it - but the slime thing and the necromancer don't spawn, and there is no way to end the mission?
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

Okay, I will stop editing the previous post now. I remembered something else about the scarecrow mission that might have caused the lack of progression: I converted the scarecrow with the Charm weapon. Is there a trigger bound to the death of the scarecrow?
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Ah ok I think you found some bugs than. I will look into that. I don't know why the charm did not work in first place. Usually these descriped in the "utils" section and as I assume some of these seem to be cached. Also if you load a saved game, some variables are already saved in it. However I don't want to screw your saved game and always believed that would work without problems. Maybe you discovered those problems now.

Heroes are realized by a fake unit, which is than filled with overlays giving it a random race, helmet, weapons, armor and shoes. Heroes receive random abilities. So it could be that they receive spell immunity, spike, devour and so on. I however use dummy abilities which are easier to handle.

Units which are summoned are "killed" after leaving a map, based on their names so that you are not able to fill your recall list. It could be that some of the units that have been charmed are influenced by that. Maybe I was even clever enough to foresee that :p.

I can't tell you what is happening with the recall list, I don't manipulate that so maybe I achieved to get Battle for Wesnoth to its knees.
I wonder when I reach the scenario limit for campaigns ;).

You can beat the scarecrow mission several times, but it's a story mission with several segments.
Spoiler:
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

Okay, I will just assume that something about the charm weapon is stored in the save file. But anyway, it seems to work now with some percentage. Next time I encounter an uncharmable enemy, I will pay attention whether he has spell immunity or some other ability that might interfere.

I did recall the shadow lord unit once, so he did not disappear directly after the scenario in which I charmed him, and I only realized it later. Now I know to look out for that ;-)

The red mage is really the weirdest thing here. I believe it is another unit I charmed as a lvl1 mage, then I leveled him up. After that, I noticed at some point on the recall list that he mysteriously got some extra attacks.
Spoiler:
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I have an idea about the recall list! I tend to use the same id over and over again - as the scenarios are mostly auto generated and units are recalled with a unique id at that moment. But if you have convinced one unit, it might have the same "id" as the unit you are currently fighting. If you kill the unit with the id, it might delete the unit with the same id in the recall list. I'm not quite sure if that is true (this requires deep understanding of Battle for Wesnoths architecture and I honestly know nothing about that). However I think some spells will loose their effect after a while and this might be a behavior that feels natural. So could randomly loose control of a unit, that has been charmed or convinced. I think that's ok. Remember it's not a bug it's a feature.

About scarecrow mission:
Spoiler:
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

Spoiler:
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Spoiler:
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

I bought diamonds from the nomads, and two strange things happened: First, the price for diamonds stayed fixed instead of increasing after I bought some. Second, my cargo capacity did not decrease even though I was carrying some diamonds. After selling the diamonds, it then sat at 72/52. I believe it is still like that.

Also, where does the "affected by teleportaway" come from? I never really paid attention to it so far, but it got quite annoying in the darkwoods. For a while, I was teleported away every turn since there were enemies with magical attacks everywhere.

I think there are more units which have the advancement problem. The blood drain for example shows the xp in light blue, but there does not seem to be an advancement for it. I didn't gather the xp to check if it behaves the same way and just goes over the maximum, though.

edit: Okay, the disappearing units are getting quite frustrating now. This time it happened with a sylph. And it was not between scenarios, but in one single scenario. At some point, I converted some wolf. When loading a save after that event, the sylph just disappeared. When loading a save before, she is still there. (and no, she did not die in the meantime...) Since you mentioned possibly overlapping id's: is there a way to check for that?
This makes exploring dungeons even more frustrating, I think I will take a break for a while. The other main issue I have with dungeons is that inventory interactions are slow and inconvenient. Don't get me wrong, I think you did an amazing job with the inventory system, but it is still cumbersome if you have a lot of items and need to do a few things. For example, I have to change equipment depending on whether I just want to fight, or want to charm someone, or want luck for opening things. I also have to take antidotes and healing items regularly. Spending a noticeable proportion of time managing the inventory takes quite a bit of fun out of it...
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for the reports, meanwhile I received some bug reports, too which I have to look into. But life goes first. I'm to 80% sure its the id. I don't think there is another reason - and if so I couldn't fix them either. Charm isn't an attack you should use massively. It's already a strong ability, so I like that there is a drawback (even so not intended). The benefit is that you charm a unit you currently fight not to build up your recall list!

It's also logical that the charm will wear off after a while.

In older versions of the game you could build up armies in your recall list, by using "Army Summoning" Spells (there are several spells like that for different kind of types). I got rid of that by killing the summons after you leave the map. Maybe I should kill becharmed units too, so they never get into the recall list? I will think about that.