Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jeffers0n

Re: Strange Legacy - 1.04 RPG World - finished

Post by Jeffers0n »

Strange, it works fine now. I think save-loading did the trick. I'll try to remember providing an autosave if it happens again
Edit: The Snow Upgrade in Elves Rise is in the Market instead of a Workshop
Edit: When entering the Island Capitol in The Open Sea, it says there are more guards than inhappitants, should be inhabitants
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

I got it working in Wesnoth 10.1.
I found a bug. When you update your load capacity by crafting it can get bigger than max capacity. This difference stays, when you later upgrade max capacity.

I have a questing problem: In harbor city there was a quest kill 5 crabs at the beach. I never found the beach. I never cancelled the quest. Now there is a friendly unit blocking harbor city.

I found the orcish outpost several times, but the story is not advancing.

There was a chest in the "grotto" which needed lockpick skill 25. I wanted to come back later, but could not. I just teleported the seamonster away, because I was to lazy to fight.

One more bug: I was attacked in the orphanage and stuck inside a building with closed door.

Are all this trading goods really essential? Most are useless to earn money. I liked to bring metal from capital to outlaw and before that woods from woodcutter to harbor city. I tried a few silk runs from swamp city to capital. All the rest not really big business. Weapons to the north maybe.

The city design of most cities could be streamlined like the capital city. The encounter maps could be smaller and reflect the terrain even better. Maybe variations being inspired by adjacent terrains of main map? Why does it take so long to press "end turn" in an encounter?

There was a cartographic map attempt a while ago. That would be awesome for the large-scale main map.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks Jefferson, I corrected the reported mistakes.

Thanks for the bugreport Wussel:

The Crab Beach is in Harbour City. You proably remember the guy who is feeding fish at the coast in the southwest of the town. There is small spot of beach there. You will however need the desert upgrade. The blocking friendly unit is there due to an attack on Harbour City. You can either solve the conflict, or teleport away the friendly unit (yeah thats possible).

Outpost: as I said, you will need to talk to the cityguard once more. I will check that soon.

You can not return to the grotta, it is just one way. If you have the required lockingskill, than you will suceed, if not you will fail.
Orphange? I believe that was a city encouter than. You should however spawn outside of a building in such an encounter.

Citydesign: No way, I like the cities as they are, and they will feature more interactive elements in the future. I might change the capital city instead.

Some trading goods are essential, such as grain and water for cooking and many others for crafting. I will massively increase the prices for goods in a future Version, because it doesn't make sense to pay a couple of gold for a box of grain, while paying 30 gold for a simple meal.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Svistwarrior273
Translator

Post by Svistwarrior273 »

Hello,
Imho, increasing of game speed in this campaign is far more important than adding new features.
It is really anoying to waiting more than playing :(
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I know Svistwarrior273 this is my priority for now, unfortunately it will cost a lot of development time. For example I developed an array database for all weapons and equipment, so that they are just saved once and these basic information can be used when equipping or making buy and sell options - this alone wasted several hours of freetime without delivering a good result.

Creating an entire database with copy and paste is no fun either, especially if it will have almost no result on game speed.
The low game speed is caused by two things: a list of over 80 achievements and the movement of npcs which is called each turn.

Wussel:

I see now. The problem with the outpost scout mission is that it is replaced with a generic mission as soon as you get into an encounter and return to the main map.
You can however try to find the outpost before getting into an encounter, I will upload a correction asap. Fixed the other crafting upgrade function.
Last edited by Heindal on June 28th, 2013, 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Besides capa/ max capa exploit, I would like to share one more:

Buy a consti ring.
buy nice armor like dragonskin (Skirmisher).
Wear the armor with mimium consti plus ring.
Undress the ring.

Bring consti up big time.
You may now wear a second armor.
Never undress dragonskin armor ;)

I was wearing additional trollskin for a long time.

At first I thought this may be a feature not a bug. (Maybe Coat and Armor?)

Maybe you can wear even more armors than 2 using this deliberately.

About crab beach: The wording made me look outside of the town in the main map. I would change wording of the quest. The city map was so big that I did not go to each corner with limited moves in the beginning.

The "end turn" delay inside encounters is the most annoying waiting time. Please fix that. The Magic animation should be shortened too.

So far building a body of troops is not helping because the "you" is acting like a superhero, worse than the "gods" of doofus campaigns. Maybe give at least free warhorn function with automatic recall. Maybe limit the moves of the hero in battle scenarios. Like making two separate abilities speed and battle moves.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I just checked the code, you "shouldn't" be able to do wear more than one piece of armor. I will need to test it. :(
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

the Thunderstorm spell does not work on the current 1.11.5

It complains about unknown unit type.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks, I've fixed this. Same problem with the Electroblast.
Heindal

Re: Strange Legacy - 1.05 RPG World - finished

Post by Heindal »

I just uploaded a new, far more performant version: 1.05!

Initial loading time has been reduced to a "normal" loading time of 1 min., and the end turn delay is solved.
The game runs way smoother and is a lot of more "fun" to play.

I had to rethink some of the gaming concepts: the encounters, the npcs movement, the randomevents and the enemyspellcasting.

Each spell that can be casted by enemies, each randomevent and each npc has been directly embedded into the scenario. So the addon will just load the code that is necessary for each scenario and this will significantly increase the overall performance. Even so the idea of a central content library is logical, it can't be done in the way I did.

Encounters: All Encounters (except desert,river) will now work with so called "randomgroups". Randomgroups will define if the player is attacked by humanoids or animals. Humanoids will appear in mixed groups with different kind of units. These units can be influenced by the character level, so the enemies quality will increase over the time.

The encounters with different avoiding options are now realized as randomevents, so it is less likely to encounter them. I added 8 additional maps for different Terrains and main maps. These are neither pieces of art nor strategical challenges, but will ensure varied encounters.

Items: items can be used from the same menu, the selectable items change according to the selected unit

Bugfixes: Main Bugfixes are electroblast and thunderstorm, as well as the scoutmission issues. Banditcamp and Monsternest have been simplified, there should be no more bugs with missing creatures. Splash and weaponspecial will now fire last breath events.

The helpmenu however stays unchanged. There are still things to be done. I made first tests with a central array of objects, but I decided against this feature.
There are some more changes, but you will discover them while playing.

Have fun with the update.
exfalso

Post by exfalso »

Hey there,

Just finished the game, here are my 2 cents.
I see there was a lot of effort put into making the game, however it was very very easy... I got 1mil gold before starting the main questline by simply trading, and ended the game with 14mil(there was no point getting more). The problem is that any arbitrage in the game will create a potential of exponential growth as expansion of the cart takes constant amount of money and the trading rates dont change. By trading e.g. diamonds this means that one can reliably multiply their money by 1.66 in one "trip". As a result my end character had ~300 moves(which meant i could actually enter deep water), 600hp and took out the final boss in one attack.
The solution is either to
1. Scale the price of cart expansion (theoretically any polynomial scaling will still allow exponential growth, so the safest is to scale exponentially)
2. Make the market "react" to exploitation of arbitrage. This can be achieved by explicit supply-demand values that can get saturated(price doesnt change, but there is a limit on the amount that can be bought/sold), or have the price slowly increase as products are bought and conversely decrease as they are sold (for example if i buy 1k diamond in the Second Island market for 1.5k gold and I sell them in the Capitall for 2.5k then next time I should only be able to buy for 1.6k and sell for 2.4k). You can then have random events that create supply/demand in certain places. I would suggest this solution, as it is more realistic.

Imho the player should never be able to get exponentially increasing income. If you somehow manage to limit the growth of the player then they wont be able to "break" the fun of the game by simply buying their way through(the way i did).
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Seems I have no choice, than to add a dynamic market and rework the space concept.
Heindal

Re: Strange Legacy - 1.06 RPG World - finished

Post by Heindal »

I've updated a new more balanced version.

- the market is now dynamic and will force Traders to discover new markets
- the market will reset after 100 turns of movement (based on a random dice)
--> this will increase the importance of buildings and other goods
- the cart level has to be upgraded with fame and gold
- recipes are now based on materials not on goods
- materials take no space and can be either found in campingsides or bought in two stores in capitalcity
Pannenkoek

Post by Pannenkoek »

i really like it so far, came here after i saw the thread about the MMORPG from you and Dugi. There is only one problem i cant find the freaking third piece of amulet in the desert... could you give me a hint ?

thanks in advance
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thank you for playing.

Desert Part Solution:
Spoiler: