Invasion from the Unknown 1.90.8 [Wesnoth 1.12]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.90.8) for Wesnoth 1.12

Post by Konrad2 »

„Over the Sands“
Units on Forest hexes also suffer from thirst

Bats are not counted as living units

The ghosts do not attack the barbarian humans
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.90.8) for Wesnoth 1.12

Post by Iris »

Konrad2 wrote:„Over the Sands“
Units on Forest hexes also suffer from thirst
This will be fixed in the next feature release, coming to an add-ons server near you on summer 2016.
Konrad2 wrote:Bats are not counted as living units
Intentional. The help text in the next feature release will specifically mention this:

Code: Select all

[transient_message]
            caption= _ "Dehydration"
            message= _ "At the beginning of each daytime turn — Dawn, Morning, Midday, Afternoon, and Dusk — all player-controlled living units, except bats, will suffer from <b>thirst</b> unless they are standing on grassland or forested terrains; in castles, encampments, or keeps; or hiding underground.

Each turn spent thirsty reduces a unit’s attack damage by 1 and causes $dehydration_loss hitpoints of damage. Thirsty units will regain full attack strength at the start of each turn by refreshing at a village or water hex, or being cared for by a healer. As with poison, a unit will not die of thirst even if it is reduced to 1 hitpoint; likewise, its attack damage will not drop below 1."
        [/transient_message]
Konrad2 wrote:The ghosts do not attack the barbarian humans
This is intentional.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 1.90.8 [Wesnoth 1.12]

Post by Konrad2 »

“The Elf versus Goliath”
The strength potion replenishes the life of the one drinking it

“The Library”
spoiler alert
the shaxthal and the spirits fight each other

“The Source of Light”
when the demons spotted a spider the dialogue occurred that should have happened when they spot my army or I spot theirs. The spider even answered with “Oh.” when she was spotted by them

two mechanical Goliaths are being created into the walls at the beginning of the scenario
32,36 and 37,37

“Strike on New Knalga”
ive always wondered how the elves got through the siege by the loyalists, so they could camp next to the main keep of the dwarves. Makes no sense story-wise xD

general: could maybe a loyal unit be recalled every scenario instead of any other unit?
What use has the “Defend only” attack from the Automaton?
Why do the dwarves not use Automatons?
is Igor a descendant of Karun and Kapou'e? Cuz he has has their standard at his house

EDIT:
“Strike on New Knalga”
is it intended that i get 100 gold at the sixth turn (just like the enemies)?

EDIT 2:
“The Escape”
is it intended that the Loyalists attack the cave-monsters?

Why do the demons on the bridge leave their posts without anyone in reach to attack?

I think it would be better if the scenario objectives said to kill all loyalists instead of only their leaders

“Bye and Behold”
Why do the Orcs know what elves are? The Aragwaithi only know them from legends, so how can an Orcs identify an Elf with just one glance?

EDIT 3:
"The Dawn of the Great War"
the enemy is to weak, they are defeated by turn 13 and the orcs did pretty much nothing

EDIT 4:
how is gold for the dwarves calculated? because i do not understand from where they have 1184 gold

EDIT 5:
why do faeries not get revived as undead when they die?
would it be possible to implement a scenario where the dwarves and the amry galas left behind have to defend the valley vs the enemy reinforcements, so that spamming dwarves isnt an option anymore? else "The Heart" is too easy
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Konrad2 wrote:“The Elf versus Goliath”
The strength potion replenishes the life of the one drinking it
Intentional.
Konrad2 wrote:“The Library”
spoiler alert
the shaxthal and the spirits fight each other
Won’t fix, because it doesn’t apply to the Reconstruction version of scenario 9 as there are no Shaxthals anymore. Sort of. Maybe. Wink. IIRC this was intentional anyway.
Konrad2 wrote:“The Source of Light”
when the demons spotted a spider the dialogue occurred that should have happened when they spot my army or I spot theirs. The spider even answered with “Oh.” when she was spotted by them
Fixed in the Reconstruction version of scenario 10.
Konrad2 wrote:two mechanical Goliaths are being created into the walls at the beginning of the scenario
32,36 and 37,37
Does not apply to the Reconstruction version of scenario 10, won’t fix.
Konrad2 wrote:“Strike on New Knalga”
ive always wondered how the elves got through the siege by the loyalists, so they could camp next to the main keep of the dwarves. Makes no sense story-wise xD
Meh.
Konrad2 wrote:general: could maybe a loyal unit be recalled every scenario instead of any other unit?
Nah.
Konrad2 wrote:Why do the dwarves not use Automatons?
The engineers who designed them were captured:
King Asthorgar in the Reconstruction version of scenario 8x wrote:Aye... Years ago, they forced the southern clans in Gnalvarden to abandon their caves and move here. But far too many were slaughtered or captured before their king acceded to evacuate. The Chaos fiends even got their claws on some mighty war contraptions our brethren designed. And the poor engineers... we never heard o’ them again.
Konrad2 wrote:is Igor a descendant of Karun and Kapou'e? Cuz he has has their standard at his house
Not in the Reconstruction version of scenario 9.
Konrad2 wrote:EDIT:
“Strike on New Knalga”
No, and I can’t see anything in the code that could possibly cause this. Are you absolutely sure it’s not just your income being insanely high from the number of owned villages at this point?
Konrad2 wrote:EDIT 2:
“The Escape”
is it intended that the Loyalists attack the cave-monsters?
No. In the Reconstruction version of scenario 12 this is not the case. The trolls (who are the Chaos units’ enemies) may target or be targeted by cave creatures; however, I believe this is highly unlikely in practice so I am not particularly inclined to fix it.
Konrad2 wrote:Why do the demons on the bridge leave their posts without anyone in reach to attack?
Do you mean they approach your units even if they are not in reach? That would be the expected behavior in the Reconstruction version of scenario 12, at least.
Konrad2 wrote:I think it would be better if the scenario objectives said to kill all loyalists instead of only their leaders
The scenario objectives describe the actual objectives set by the scenario code most of the time, bar a few story-driven exceptions.
Konrad2 wrote:“Bye and Behold”
Why do the Orcs know what elves are? The Aragwaithi only know them from legends, so how can an Orcs identify an Elf with just one glance?
There is a specific reason for this in the Reconstruction version of scenario 14.
Konrad2 wrote:EDIT 3:
"The Dawn of the Great War"
the enemy is to weak, they are defeated by turn 13 and the orcs did pretty much nothing
I will keep this in mind for later.
Konrad2 wrote:EDIT 4:
how is gold for the dwarves calculated? because i do not understand from where they have 1184 gold
Is this from The Heart? I will get back to you once I get around to rewriting this scenario, since I won’t be looking at the old formula anyway. It’s probably some nonsense maths from back when I could actually do maths (imagine that!).
Konrad2 wrote:EDIT 5:
Because they are faeries and run on arcane magic, essentially.
Konrad2 wrote:would it be possible to implement a scenario where the dwarves and the amry galas left behind have to defend the valley vs the enemy reinforcements, so that spamming dwarves isnt an option anymore? else "The Heart" is too easy
The Heart will be rewritten like everything else.

As for what codename Reconstruction is:
shadowm wrote:The thing is, I am actually working on a long due revision (actually dangerously close to a near-complete rewrite at this point) of the campaign and I have dealt with a few existing bugs in the process, and I’ll probably find and fix even more before I am finished with this. I suppose you could still post about bugs other than the deprecation notices, but I can’t promise fixes for anything that doesn’t outright crash Wesnoth until I am done with the rewrite.
I am starting work on scenario 16 right now. Hopefully the first Reconstruction beta will be out at some point before the end of the year, but I can’t make any promises. Between maintaining AtS and Wesnoth itself, I can’t exactly dedicate all the time I’d like to IftU, which is also why the pre-Reconstruction version only receives critical bugfixes.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

shadowm wrote:
Konrad2 wrote:Why do the dwarves not use Automatons?
The engineers who designed them were captured:
King Asthorgar in the Reconstruction version of scenario 8x wrote:Aye... Years ago, they forced the southern clans in Gnalvarden to abandon their caves and move here. But far too many were slaughtered or captured before their king acceded to evacuate. The Chaos fiends even got their claws on some mighty war contraptions our brethren designed. And the poor engineers... we never heard o’ them again.
i suppose that this is from "Reconstruction" because it isnt implemented yet
shadowm wrote:
Konrad2 wrote:EDIT:
“Strike on New Knalga”
No, and I can’t see anything in the code that could possibly cause this. Are you absolutely sure it’s not just your income being insanely high from the number of owned villages at this point?
sry i must have been sleepy when i wrote that down xD i forgot to recruit and concidentally ended up with exactly 100 gold at turn 6 due to my negative income

shadowm wrote:
Konrad2 wrote:Why do the demons on the bridge leave their posts without anyone in reach to attack?
Do you mean they approach your units even if they are not in reach? That would be the expected behavior in the Reconstruction version of scenario 12, at least.
yes i meant those, i just did strike me as odd that the demons came to me but the automatons didn't
shadowm wrote:
Konrad2 wrote:EDIT 5:
Because they are faeries and run on arcane magic, essentially.
i thought it odd because Faeries still have a physical body, not a corporeal one and plague is useable on them

anyway thank you very much for answering and i happily await your Reconstruction :)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Konrad2 wrote:i suppose that this is from "Reconstruction" because it isnt implemented yet
The production version does have a similar explanation, though:

Code: Select all

[message]
            speaker=Anlindë
            message= _ "Those warriors even control some alien war beasts. We just defeated one of their most powerful creatures — the Mechanical Goliath, we call it."
        [/message]

[message]
            speaker=King Asthorgar
            message= _ "Our best craftsmen have worked on such gigantic metallic warriors before. They’re just machines. We believe that some prototypes were left behind when we moved from the southern caves, for we haven’t found ’em in centuries. Mayhap those were used as the basis for the enemy’s constructs."
        [/message]
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

“Innuendo”
why would the loyalist hold a troll whelp as prisoner?!

“The Dark Hive”
11,20 missing image of a glyph
Iris
Site Administrator

Invasion from the Unknown 1.99.0 pre-annnouncement

Post by Iris »

Since a non-insignificant number of people celebrate Halloween today, I thought I would take this opportunity to make a special spooooooky announcement.

Invasion from the Unknown is now in mainline.

·
·
·

Wait, no. No, no, no, no, no. No. That’s not the correct announcement, I must have misplaced it somehow. Ah, here it is!

Reconstruction is complete.

Today October 31st 2015 at 01:50:24 CLST, the second half of the codename Reconstruction effort landed in the Invasion from the Unknown master branch, thus signaling the beginning of the end of the unreasonably long development process leading up to IftU version 2.0. So, from this point onwards, the classic IftU codebase (i.e. version 1.90.x) is officially abandoned and will not receive any further bug fixes of any sort. Instead, IftU 2.0 RC 1 (a.k.a. version 1.99.0) will be published to the 1.12.x add-ons server as soon as my prose review and playtesting/QA team gives it the green light.

There are still some additional tasks remaining to be done for 2.0.0 proper, which will probably be released simultaneously with AtS 0.10.0. Hopefully it won’t take me as long as the rest — so, two months tops. Yes, I am fairly sure I will regret posting this time estimate later.

Until then, have some FAQs:
Reconstruction FAQs
So what is this “Reconstruction” noise?

A fairly extensive rewrite of Invasion from the Unknown almost from the ground up, encompassing vast WML, prose, and story improvements, as well as many gameplay tweaks — some visible, some not so much.

So you mean you made IftU more like AtS? That’s a pity, I liked the light-hearted adventure you wrote back in 2007 more.

Yeah.

Has <character I hate> finally been removed from the campaign?

Nope.

I hate Elynia. Has her presence throughout the campaign finally been reduced?

Nah.

Is this campaign still about Galas’ journey or not then?

IftU has always been an intricate commentary on the human condition and the current state of the creative industry. I don’t know what you are talking about.

<Insert character here> × Elynia?

NaN.

<Insert character here> × Uria?

Will my existing translation still work?

For all intents and purposes... no, not really. Sorry about that.

But the old prose was sooooo good! Why would you throw it away!?

Because it wasn’t. Sorry.

I don’t care about any of this, just give me a stable IftU version!

IftU 1.99.x will hopefully be a far more stable release series than its predecessors that were haphazardly “ported” from 1.10.x to 1.12.x with very little in the way of playtesting and fixes. Yes, I am really, really sorry it took me this long to get to a point where I can actually actively maintain IftU again without feeling an urge to gouge my eyeballs out, but it was necessary for a number of reasons (AtS being one of them).

I have a question and it is not answered by any of these FAQs!

Ask away! I like answering questions and feeding upon my inquirers’ life force.

These FAQs are not spooky enough.

This whole post was written and published by a person who literally uses a psychopathic lich as their avatar 365 days a year. What more can you ask for?!
Iris
Site Administrator

Invasion from the Unknown 1.99.0 pre-annnouncement

Post by Iris »

Forgot to mention that anyone interested in helping playtest the next release before it goes live can drop me a PM on the forums — I will then get back to you with instructions.
lightlord

Post by lightlord »

Hi, why does killing warlord at end scenario of part 1 do nothing? Its relatively possible but tedious to do when playing on easy, just kill both leaders and when warlord arrives suicide everything and surround her with walking corpses. Keep creating 3 corpses per turn and replace one he kills but do not attack her as she regenerates. Do that until you have enough corpses to mass attack on him.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Because the Warlord can’t die in that scenario.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Version 1.99.0 (a.k.a. 2.0 Release Candidate 1) is out now, so there is no point in discussing the legacy version anymore.

Update now, and head to the new thread.