Grnk the Mighty: Parts 1 & 2 now on 1.12 and 1.14 server

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mattsc
Inactive Developer

Re: Grnk the Mighty (BfW 1.9/1.10)

Post by mattsc »

emeraldgorilla wrote:I played normally, but I think that event did not fire.
Spoiler:
I've attached a replay...
Ah, yes, that would explain it... That's pretty cool, you found (yet another) way of playing this scenario that I didn't think of. Good for you, but those two sides really shouldn't fight each other, so I'll have to fix that. In the meantime, you should be able to continue playing using the fixed save. I don't think you'll have problems in the next scenario because of this, but if a side doesn't show up, that should be pretty obvious. Let me know if that happens and I'll add it back into the file.

emeraldgorilla wrote:
mattsc wrote:2. Did Vanak appear in S9 (Chaos) and say the same line he does here (when he appears on Turn 4)?
Yes. Kind of. Just as in Prunes, there was a conversation between Grnk and Vanak, but I only saw Grnk's part of it.
That also supports that 'Disillusion' is the cause of the problem. Thanks for reporting this!
emeraldgorilla

Post by emeraldgorilla »

mattsc wrote:you should be able to continue playing using the fixed save.
I'm looking forward to it - thanks for the quick response!
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

emeraldgorilla wrote:
mattsc wrote:you should be able to continue playing using the fixed save.
I'm looking forward to it - thanks for the quick response!
One more comment: if you use my save, you'll have to play this scenario again. If you don't want to do that, you can also just reinsert Vanak at the very end of the scenario using debug commands. Reload your last turn save, then type:

Code: Select all

:debug
shift-C  (and choose Orcish Ruler)
:unit name=Vanak  (while the mouse pointer is over the new unit)
:unit id=Vanak  (while the mouse pointer is over the new unit)
You should then be able to move that newly created unit to the signpost and end the scenario. If you have problems with that, send me the last-turn save and I can do it for you. Hope this helps ...
emeraldgorilla

Post by emeraldgorilla »

mattsc wrote:... if you use my save, you'll have to play this scenario again. If you don't want to do that, you can also just reinsert Vanak at the very end of the scenario using debug commands.
Thanks Matt. I went ahead and played the scenario again (hadn't seen your reply yet and I'm not familiar with with the game's debug mode). Anyway, the fixed save worked like a charm and now I'm off to see the wizards :)
Erlend

Post by Erlend »

still waiting for part 2 :roll:
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Erlend wrote:still waiting for part 2 :roll:
Yeah, so am I, unfortunately. :(

I have the story all worked out and the basics of about half of the scenarios are done, but I have too many other things on my plate at the moment to make non-negligible progress. Thanks for the interest though! I will get back to Grnk, eventually ...
Erlend

Post by Erlend »

Oh, well, you've given me hope at least. I'll patiently be waiting for the returning of Grnk :)
Gitanomad_X

Post by Gitanomad_X »

I just wanted to let you know that you have other fans out there as well. No pressure, just incentive and support :)
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Thanks much, Erlend and Gitanomad_X! :) It does help a lot with motivation to know that there are people who are interested in Part 2. Unfortunately, it does not help with there only being 24 hours in a day...
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

Hi mattsc,

after I liked Galuldur, I loved Grnk! Can't wait for part 2... don't take me literally, take your time.

As you want to hear suggestions and bug reports:
  1. "Rats! I'm not close enough to an enemy unit." (Grnk when attempting to use the prunes)
    May I suggest omitting the "unit" to improve immersion?
  2. "Grnk's movement points are doubled here"
    After a kill and two fights for Grnk in S1, I killed two rats in Shmaltrupp. When leveling up, his doubled movement got lost. No real issue as the scenario has no turn limit, just wanted to point it out.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Hi aquileia,

Thank you! :)
aquileia wrote: "Rats! I'm not close enough to an enemy unit." (Grnk when attempting to use the prunes)
May I suggest omitting the "unit" to improve immersion?
Good point. I've actually just this week redone the "prunes handling system" to accommodate the changes that are going to happen with them in Part2, so the file was still open in my editor and I took care of it right away.
aquileia wrote: After a kill and two fights for Grnk in S1, I killed two rats in Shmaltrupp. When leveling up, his doubled movement got lost. No real issue as the scenario has no turn limit, just wanted to point it out.
Hmm, yeah ... As you say, it's not catastrophic in this scenario, but it shouldn't happen anyway. I'll look into it.
aquileia wrote:Can't wait for part 2... don't take me literally, take your time.
The good news is that I have actually been actively working on Part 2 recently and have resolved most of the "fundamental issues" I'd been having with how to approach certain things. Unfortunately, there's still a long way to go...

Thanks again!
Erlend

Post by Erlend »

Even though your reply is a bit old.. I'm happy that you're making progress :)
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Grnk the Mighty: Part 1 now on 1.12 server, Part 2 soon

Post by mattsc »

I just uploaded Grnk the Mighty Part 1 (v1.1.0) to the 1.12 add-ons server. For the most part, this is just a port to the new stable Wesnoth branch, with a few additional changes:
  • Some changes to story and messages for consistency with the soon-to-be-released Part 2. These are all very minor though, most people likely won't even notice them.
  • Bugs identified and suggestions made in this thread: I went though all messages in this thread and fixed all bugs mentioned here (I hope), plus a bunch more that I had found myself. I also considered all suggestions made here and implemented a good number of them. A few have been put on the "do-later list" and some I decided not to implement for a variety of reason, but all of them were considered seriously.
  • A few general changes and improvements to the story, animations, etc. Again, these are all quite minor in the big scheme of things.
As for Part 2, it is about 95% done, but given the amount of time I have at the moment (i.e., not very much), it's still going to take me a little while. I am actively working on it though, albeit slowly.

Grnk the Mighty v1.1.0 changelog

Code: Select all

----- 1.1.0, 7 Feb 2015 (port Part 1 to Wesnoth 1.12) -----

This is only a partial changelog for this version. A lot of internal changes
have been made in order to make this version work on Wesnoth 1.12, for cleaning
up the code or simply because the author decided to do things differently. These
sort of changes are not listed here. Only changes that are visible to the player
(and which are non-trivial) are mentioned. The complete change history can be
viewed in the git commit log (to be put up at github once Part 2 has been
published).

Part 1:
- Code updated for BfW 1.12. Dropped support of previous Wesnoth versions.
- Prose updated for a variety of reasons:
  - Consistency with the new (almost completed) Part 2 of the campaign
  - Clarifications of objectives etc.
  - Fixes for typos, clarity, story/prose improvements
  - Most of these are minor, no significant changes to the overall story
- P1S1 Flight:
  - Adjust map and starting positions of orcs so that Grnk cannot sneak by
- P1S2 Shmaltupp:
  - Bug fix for Grnk losing double MP upon advancing
  - Bug fix for wolf costing upkeep
  - Bug fix for Grnk not being able to attack on first turn on some returns to
    Shmaltupp
  - Bug fix for right-click option only being visible first time to Shmaltupp
- P1S3 Treasure:
  - Relax turn limit
  - Add right-click option to have Rutburt repeat his plan
- P1S5 Shadows:
  - Don't add undead guards in the cave when the draug is killed
  - Adjust how beacon time areas are removed; hopefully this fixes some of the
    bugs previously being present
- P1S6 Hunting, P1S11 Escape:
  - Use Micro AI for Lurkers
- P1S7 Disillusion:
  - Relax turn limit
  - Defeat of saurians is not necessary for victory any more
  - Set up AI orc sides as each others' allies (so that they do not fight each
    other)
- P1S8 Trap:
  - Make sure message by orc on skeleton recruitment is not skipped
- P1S9 Chaos:
  - Increase probability of nothing (no random event) happening
- P1S11 Escape:
  - make sure Mal An can never die for real (avoiding bugs in follow-up
    scenarios that way)
- P1S13 Wizards:
  - Gryphons now never attack Mal An, preventing potential balance problems by
    Mal An being defeated too early
  - Fix bugs with objectives not always changing correctly
- Other:
  - Bug fix: exclude border hexes from FAR_EMPTY_HEX macro results
  - Bug fix: images placed with HIGHLIGHT_IMAGE_SHORT macro are no longer in
    front of units
  - Change difficulty descriptions to indicate that this is not an easy campaign
  - Prevent Sergeant/Lieutenant/General line from advancing to Grand Marshal
  - Pickpocketing: do not let success probability fall below 30%
  - Grnk the Rouser: add a ranged attack plus an AMLA for it
sreesreearul

Re: Grnk the Mighty: Part 1 now on 1.12 server, Part 2 soon

Post by sreesreearul »

I've been playing grnk on 11.12. Interesting so far.

In prunes vanak doesn't appear on turn 4. The error msg reads 'game_error:creating unit with an empty type field'. I went on to play ignoring it. But seems likke the scenario can't be completed without vanak reaching the signpost.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Re: Grnk the Mighty: Part 1 now on 1.12 server, Part 2 soon

Post by mattsc »

Hi sreesreearul -- hmm, I know what problem, generally speaking, causes this (it means that either Vanak's side or Vanak himself did not get carried over correctly from a previous scenario), but I thought I had been very careful to eliminate possible causes of this. Apparently I missed something.

So, here's the quick fix for you so that you will be able to finish. Load a save from the end of the scenario, go into debug mode, and put a new Vanak out there. You do all this by typing (in the game window)
:debug -- to activate debug mode
shift-c then choose Orcish Ruler (or whatever Vanak was last time you had him) -- to put a new unit out there
Then select the new unit and type
:unit id=Vanak
:unit name=Vanak -- to change the id and name of the new unit
If you then move that unit to the signpost, you should be able to move on to the next scenario.

Or, if you prefer, you can send me a savefile from the scenario and I will insert him for you.

As a second step, I would also really like to know what happened here so that I can fix the bug. My guess is that the problem is with scenario 7 (Disillusion) or possibly with S9 (Chaos). If you have them, could you send me replays of those two scenarios?

Sorry for this and thanks for reporting!