Grnk the Mighty: Parts 1 & 2 now on 1.12 and 1.14 server

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mattsc
Inactive Developer

Re: Grnk the Mighty: Part 1 & 2 now on 1.12 server

Post by mattsc »

Thanks, Samonella. I'm repeating myself, but it's great to hear that you're enjoying Grnk. :)

And thank you very much for the wording change suggestion (yes, that makes sense) and in particular for the sprite! Both of them are in: here and here. I see in your campaign that you only use your username for the credits, so that's what I used too, but please let me know whether you want something else in there. FYI, this is not on the add-ons server yet, only in the github repository version, but that will come sooner or later. Thanks!
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

mattsc wrote: FYI, this is not on the add-ons server yet, only in the github repository version, but that will come sooner or later. Thanks!
Hi, mattsc, if you want your updates to Grnk to be included to the UMC Pack Project, you should upload them to the add-ons server rather sooner than later, as we going to release the Pack before December. Thank you.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Aldarisvet wrote:Hi, mattsc, if you want your updates to Grnk to be included to the UMC Pack Project, you should upload them to the add-ons server rather sooner than later, as we going to release the Pack before December. Thank you.
Thanks for the warning. I don't have time to make any other changes right now, but I uploaded the couple minor things that I had done already.
Grnk 2.0.5 changelog

Code: Select all

----- 2.0.5, 21 Nov 2016 -----

This is a very minor update with only a couple player visible changes, to upload
what I have done at this time for the UMC pack release.

- Ox Cart:
  - Use new sprite from Samonella
  - Remove portrait from driverless carts
- A couple very minor wording changes
- P1S4 Mercenaries: fix loyal-unit defeat events
- Some internal changes for making the campaign work in both 1.12 and 1.13, but
  these are not finished yet
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

I finally finished the campaign. All amazing stuff! Here are a few comments:

1) Good heavens, those lurkers are annoying. But I'm sure that's just the way you want them. ;)
2) There's one scenario in which some moveto event prevents undoing anything Quank does, which is annoying on a more serious level, but i'm guessing it's not avoidable without [on_undo].
3) The goblin recalling issue in the last scenario: I didn't even want to recall any anyway, but maybe it would be better to set all recalls at 13 gold and then take the extra 7 if it's not a goblin (rather than taking 20 and refunding 7 if it is) since it's easy to put units back on the recall list if there isn't enough
4) At first I thought that the surefire and brittle effects were buggy, but that's just because I didn't completely understand the explanation. I was probably just reading to fast, but I wasn't clear that surefire works like leadership (Grnk is adjacent to the ally) but brittle is different (Grnk is adjacent to the victim). If you can find a good way to clarify that, great, but if not, it's fine. A help menu to see the instructions again would be good too.
5) I thought the last two or three scenarios were a bit easier than most of the campaign

I'll just take this opportunity to say again what a great campaign Grnk is. Great challenges and play, wonderful writing, and a story that's as good as they get. Thanks again! :D
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Hello again, Samonella. I keep repeating myself, but it is great to hear that you are enjoying Grnk. Thank you for all the feedback!
Samonella wrote:1) Good heavens, those lurkers are annoying. But I'm sure that's just the way you want them. ;)
Indeed. They really annoy me too when I play certain scenarios, but that's exactly what they are supposed to do. :twisted:

Concerning undo of Quank's moves and the descriptions of surefire/brittle, I've added that to my task list for when I am porting Grnk to 1.13/1.14. Also, the recall cost issue will go away then, because recall cost can be chosen per unit type in 1.13. (I'll likely not do much for the 1.12 version any more at this time.)
Samonella wrote:5) I thought the last two or three scenarios were a bit easier than most of the campaign
While that is not necessarily a problem in itself, I do want the end to be reasonably challenging. I already have plans to rebalance at least one of the final scenarios (Endgame), I never was quite happy with that. I'll take this into consideration as well.

Thanks again! :D

PS: A few weeks ago I started working on the Fred AI again (the enemy AI in the scenario of the same name). It's not going very quickly (for the reason you mention in your signature), but maybe I'll have a version that plays slightly better by the time Wesnoth 1.14 comes out ...
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

mattsc wrote:
Samonella wrote:If someone else, maybe eventually me, were to make a list of 4-5 songs per scenario would you use it? I'm not exactly a music expert, but I do play with it on, and have at least a bit of experience from choosing songs in my campaign. At any rate, I think even a shoddy soundtrack is much better than silence (with the exception of one song playing over and over *cough cough dead water cough*)
Yes, absolutely, if somebody else wanted to do all that work, I'd be happy to include that. For me personally, I prefer the silence, but since that is an easy option in the preferences, I have no objections to that at all.
Finally got around to making the playlists that I sort-of volunteered to do however long ago. So far I only did it for part 1, but it shouldn't be long before I do the other part too.

Just throw the attached file into part1/utils, and in each scenario include the right macro, something like {PLAYLIST_02_SHMALTUPP}. (There is only one playlist for Shmaltupp, so probably just put it in 02_Shmaltupp_core). Also, inside the attachement you can see a bunch of turn events with extra music in them; each one has a comment describing where to cut/paste the [music] tag/macro. Then just delete the turn event, but leave the comment for documentation.

I'm repeating myself too, but thanks for the great campaign! I'm glad I can help improve it.
Attachments
Grnk1_music.cfg
(3.72 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Hi Samonella,

Thank you very much for this and sorry for the slow response. RL was and is continuing to be super busy this week. I was hoping to look into this some more over the weekend and write you a more meaningful response, but unfortunately that's not happening. It currently looks like things might ease up a bit on Wednesday or Thursday, hopefully I'll have some time for Grnk after that.

Until then, thanks a lot again!
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

mattsc wrote:Thank you very much for this and sorry for the slow response. RL was and is continuing to be super busy this week. I was hoping to look into this some more over the weekend and write you a more meaningful response, but unfortunately that's not happening. It currently looks like things might ease up a bit on Wednesday or Thursday, hopefully I'll have some time for Grnk after that.
No worries, I completely understand. Meanwhile, here's part 2, same deal:
Grnk2_music.cfg
(5.77 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
Also, while I was testing the playlist, I ran into a lua error, something to do with the lizards ai. From this save, all you have to do is end turn and it should happen:
Grnk2-nooo_lua_why.gz
(125.75 KiB) Downloaded 419 times

mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Hey Samonella,

I've finally gotten around to putting your playlists into Part 1. If you want to check it out, you can see what I have done on Grnk's github site (click on the 'commits' link).

I decided to keep the events in the music file and call them with fire_event from the scenarios. That's simply because I prefer to keep all the music macros in one place, from a functionality point of view there's no difference. You might want to check that I included them all where you meant them to be (I think I did, but better safe than sorry). Also, please have a look at the credits and tell me if you want the entry changed.

I'll probably be able to do Part 2 tomorrow (no promises though :P ) and then I'll release this on the add-ons server. I've plenty of other things I want to do for Grnk, but currently I am spending all my available Wesnoth time on Fred. So if I don't release it right away, it might not happen for a long time.

Thanks again for this, this is great!
Cheers, mattsc
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Everything is working great! The only thing is the second music change in Trap, i think it would be better if you moved [fire_event] down a little to just after the [dialogue_message]. Also, in the credits, the "entry" makes it sound kinda like I wrote the music, so something like "Scenario playlists" would be better.

Work on Fred is always exciting, keep it up! :D

mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Samonella wrote:The only thing is the second music change in Trap, i think it would be better if you moved [fire_event] down a little to just after the [dialogue_message].
Yeah, you're right. In fact, that's what I was doing for Part 2 even before I saw your message, so I must have missed that in Trap. It's changed now.
Samonella wrote:Also, in the credits, the "entry" makes it sound kinda like I wrote the music, so something like "Scenario playlists" would be better.
Done too.

Both these changes and the Part 2 music have been committed on github, if you want to have another look. There was one inconsistency though: in P2S14 Submission, the comment said 'shadows' and the [music] tag used 'legends'. I changed the comment and kept the tag, but if you meant it the other way around, I'll change it.
Samonella wrote:Work on Fred is always exciting, keep it up! :D
It is. :) And Fred's starting to come together quite nicely again, I think. I've changed my goals for Fred a little, and I believe it's working overall for where I want to go with this AI. I'll probably post a status update in Fred's thread sometime within the next week or two.

Oh, and one more thing: I've confirmed that I get the Lua error in Lizards also, but I have not looked into the cause yet.
EDIT: Now I have looked into the cause. The AI is trying to move a petrified saurian. Should be easy enough to fix.

Thanks!
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

It all looks good, and you're right that that part of Trap was supposed to be legends of the north.

Thanks one last time (probably)!

mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Thank you, Samonella, for all your help and comments! And with that:

Grnk version 2.0.6 is on the add-ons server, featuring Samonella's music playlists and the bug fix for the Lizards AI.
Grnk 2.0.6 changelog

Code: Select all

----- 2.0.6, 19 March 2017 -----

- Added music playlists from Samonella
- P2S6 Lizards: bug fix for lizard AI trying to move petrified units
- A few internal code changes with no effect on behavior
MisChiv

Post by MisChiv »

Hey, Loving the level design and originality of the Campgain, however as you may have seen from others, that first level is FAR to challenging. I eventually had to drop it down to the easiest difficulty just to get by. The terrain is far to advantageous for the orcs and they just spam archers (I'm talking 23 Archers and 4 Grunts (oh and a single Orcish Assassin). Maybe adding in some more impassable tiles near the castle to force a couple more choke points would help out? I found that Orchish Archers > Poachers and Thugs so the best I could do is just spam poachers for the retaliation damage and hope for the best.

Keep up the good work!
-Chiv
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Hi Chiv — thanks for the kind words!

Ah, yes, that first scenario. It's actually seen both harder and easier incarnations than what it currently is. I recently replayed it when I started porting Grnk to 1.13/1.14. I managed to pass it on medium difficulty, but not on my first attempt either. :P It's supposed to be hard, otherwise I think it would be a boring scenario the way it is set up, but it's probably too much so at the moment. Adding another impassable hex or two might work. I also think that maybe adding another village might be helpful. I'll do something along those lines for the next release.

Thanks for the feedback and I hope you'll continue to enjoy Grnk!