Five Fates 1.11, Dungeon crawler

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Heindal

Re: Five Fates 1.03, Dungeoncrawl

Post by Heindal »

Windows 7, I will recheck :(, in my tests I never encountered broken savegames any more.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
herlaziness

Post by herlaziness »

Hi Heindal,

First of all I must say I really like the campaign. Well done and thank you! :)

Here I would like suggest a fix for potential bug with savegame corrupted with variable -999='detected.x', which I have done locally so I can carried on with my game (I am on wesnoth 1.10) .

in utils/enemyspells.cfg line number 160-191 (spell Detect Hidden), I suggest to delete between line 170-178, which I have commented out, where it is setting variables for $x and $y (which I reckon $x and $y was not declared, so therefore it becomes -999? ). And I doubt the set variable instructions are needed at all.

Code: Select all

[case]
                                value="Detect Hidden"

[store_unit]
                                    [filter]
                                        id=you
                                    [/filter]
                                    variable=detected
                                [/store_unit]

## [set_variable]
                               ##     name=$x1
                               ##     value=detected.x
                               ## [/set_variable]

## [set_variable]
                               ##     name=$y1
                               ##     value=detected.y
                               ## [/set_variable]
                                [unit]
                                    id=Scout
                                    name=_"Scout"
                                    type=Giant Rat
                                    side={SIDE}
                                    x,y=$detected.x,$detected.y
                                [/unit]
                                {FLASH_WHITE
                                ([sound]
                                name=magic-holy-2.ogg
                            [/sound])}
                            {CLEAR_VARIABLE detected}
                        [/case]
(I notices, from my autosave files, the 'Detect Hidden' spell was probably corrupting the save file, and work from there. however, please do validate this as I have not done much proper testing.)

Thanks again, hope this will fix the problem! :)
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Gosh, thanks for this solution. I will upoad and test the fix as soon as I can.

Ok, it is definetly a bug, I fixed and uploaded the new code for 10.7.
Hopefully this will solve problems with saved games.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
RainKnight

Post by RainKnight »

Hi Heindal.
You see, I started to write a coded for AMLA based in your Five Fates system, but then I noticed that some savegames went broken. Fortunately I find a simple solution: I changed the «strict_amla=no» string for «strict_amla=yes» and had no more troubles with it.
Hope this helps.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks, this could really help. Good luck for your own project and post it once its done so I can playtest ;).
Elvish_Conquerer

Post by Elvish_Conquerer »

Hi, I hope this is the right thread for this. My character somehow got affected with the weak status and it seems to be permanent. Is this a bug or did I just screw up? Also I had a negative leadership bonus that also reduced my characters stats.
"Not only that! He made the AI so smart that, it changes the RNG without affecting statistical analysis! So even if you calculate the probability of getting what you got, it seems reasonable, even though it isn't. We've uncovered a massive conspiracy!"
Elvish_Conquerer

Post by Elvish_Conquerer »

Ah, nevermind. I figured it out.
"Not only that! He made the AI so smart that, it changes the RNG without affecting statistical analysis! So even if you calculate the probability of getting what you got, it seems reasonable, even though it isn't. We've uncovered a massive conspiracy!"
Fibon_44

Post by Fibon_44 »

Hi! Very nice campaign, and I haven't tried all paths yet...

I observed a few minor bugs in the "dwarf" path, all of them playing on the worldmap in the end:

1. In the orcish arena, sometimes the opponents, who appear on a random spot of the map, appear in the deep water, where they stay trapped and my hero cannot reach them. I have to either reload and try again, or leave the arena. The only trick I found has been the "heavy rain" spell (which changes terrain of all enemy units to "shallow water"), but it used more than half of my mana, so when it happened again I was at the same point.

2. In the missions or the orcish arena, where there is a counter for your killed opponents, using the "befriend" spell makes the mission unwinnable, at least if the befriended unit doesn't get killed by the opponents. (But maybe this is intended behavior?)

3. Similarly, if I use the "befriend" spell on the opponent leader (I tried it on the island with the "epic fight" of the sea monster), the leader keeps on using their spells, and they are just in my favor, then - e.g. "lesser summoning" gives me a nice lot of own units.

4. My dwarf can do teleportation and I can use it to jump around on the whole map (although none of the villages has my flag on it by default). However, when I actually end in a village (so it gets flagged), I get trapped and can't go back. This happened for example when I was trying to use teleportation to examine the villages in the deep water. I had to reload to be able to continue.

5. Whenever I end a mission or interlude, the starting dialogue screen of the world map appears again ("Light! I hated it, but I had no choice. I had to reach the gryphon mountain to find that little girl!"), as well do the "scenario goals". Anyway, each time the map seems to be reset, so e.g. all the "trash piles" with hidden objects appear again and and flags on villages and markings of my own disappear (as do recalled units - not that I would need them there, but I was just curious). I also lose the treasures when I had bought a treasure map and found some enemies on the way there.

6. Each time my hero was being upgraded, I also received descriptions of spells I had bought earlier, as if they were part of the upgrade. Once those also seemed to interfere, so when I chose "Hire Pathfinder" as the next upgrade, I got the "Befriend3 - Summons a Bear" spell instead.

7. I found the two coordinates for the hidden treasure (and also have an open diary entry "Treasure is about to be found. Unfortunately guarded by undead pirates!"). However, when I go on that field, a dialogue opens which shows me I'm in the right place, but the only option I can choose is "Done", which makes me leave again.

8. Similarly, when I get onto the Village "The Ford of Abez", a dialogue opens "This is the Ford of Abezand [sic!] its going to be attacked by the orcish horde, you can end the game here or continue exploring the world map". Then, too, I have "Done" (=leave) as the only option.

9. Same story on "Aethenwood".

10. Befriended yetis (and probably other befriended monsters as well, but not all of them) disappear from my recall list.

11. The mission "orcish outpost" seems not to work properly. I went on every hex between the markings and nothing happened (except the event "enemies ahead" has been triggered on around every third of them - I hope the location of the outpost hasn't been reset randomly each time I came back?).

[Edit] 12. All recalled units are poisoned. This also happened once earlier in the campaign.

13. My skeletal dragons can get poisoned as well.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for playing this old campaign of mine. :lol:

1. Yeah that's not nice. On the other hand as you can "restart" each arena round, this is my ingame fix for that.
A real fix would be to teleport units to random fields, which will than teleport them to places where they are allowed to walk only.

2. Yes, befriend spell or convince spell will not work in there. It's considered as cheating.

3. That's ok I think. I wonder if his damage spells still target you!?

4. Oh, that's not good. Yeah I remember that the teleport ability is somewhat broken. It's inside the wesnoth code and I didn't find a way to fix it.

5. Ah ok, it's because I reload the map, everything will go on reset. For another project the treasure maps are place again, when returning. I haven't done this for Five Fates it seems. The starting dialogue might be annoying, but is pointing you to your main and "final" mission to end the game. Each character as a unique mission / or task to end their story line.

6. Strange got to look into this.

7. The secret treasure is one of the story missions for the bandit. Only the bandit can unlock them. This is like in old school games, where each character has a unique ending.

8./9. Same as seven. This is the final mission.

10. They are not supposed to be on your recall list. Otherwise it would be to strong.

11. When you come back it will be deleted entirely I'm afraid =/. It's like the treasure map.

12. Can happen if you use a spell like masspoison or your enemy has casted a spell like this.

13. Yeah I know. It's magic ^^. It's a bug but I found it funny so I kept it in there.

The final map was designed as a last extra for the player to max out your hero and fight epic battles. It was never intended to be infinite or perfect.
However it became the basis of a much better campaign called "Strange Legacy". Many of the bugs you've found, I've already fixed there. But as the work with Strange Legacy and my other hobbies grow a little bit out of hand, I've stopped to work on Five Fates.

I recommend you try Strange Legacy if you want a bigger world map, more missions and more character decisions (RPG Mode).
It will be fun to explore the world there, if you already know how Five Fates works.

Thanks again for the feedback :).
Heindal

Five Fates 1.07 for 1.14

Post by Heindal »

I've just uploaded version 1.07 of Five Fates:

- repaired and improved graphics, terrain and portraits
- no more nasty error logs - fixed it all
- Blitz will now grant you 5 MP when killing a unit
- Devour will now grant you 10 hp when killing an enemy unit
- Bloodlust will now grant you one attack killing a unit
- Initiative Aura is now just a dummy
- added at least one more dwarf related jokes
- added tutorial and hints
- corrected typos and improved wording
- repaired clairvoyance hints
- repaired all inventory problems (you can now equip amulets, rings and other stuff again)
- tested with all five characters

- unfortunately - couldn't repair the random dungeon yet
- so far you will advance in the correct order in the dungeons without random generated trader missions
- this results in 2 less levels in the main dungeon

- collected valuable experience to work on SL now
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Unfortunately, I don't have an autosave from before this happened, but there's something rather odd going on here.

In the attached game, open the hero menu inventory and check out the armor you're wearing -- all three of them.

If you take off the studdedarmor, you can put on the greyarmor. Actually it seems that you can take off any one piece of armor and then put on a third, but if you take off more than one piece you can't get back to wearing three (it's a little hard to describe, but if you play with it a little you'll see what I mean, try taking off one, two, or three pieces).

BFW 1.14.5

Also,
20181018 22:30:01 error display: could not open image 'units/you/ruffian-magic-1.png'
20181018 22:30:01 error display: could not open image 'units/you/ruffian-magic-2.png'
20181018 22:30:01 error display: could not open image 'units/you/ruffian-magic-3.png'
20181018 22:36:07 error display: could not open image 'portraits/humans/thief female.png'
20181018 19:59:06 error display: could not open image 'attacks/burner.png'
20181018 21:45:45 error display: could not open image 'units/mechanical/airship.png'

I have the first two on another system under add-ons/Trader/, along with a ruffian-magic-3_old.png.

The forth one should probably be thief+female.

The fifth one I have in a few other add-ons on another system.

The last on is "units/mechanic/airship.png" under Five Fates add-on.

P.S. I've been making notes for a bunch of spelling and grammar corrections. If you want them, just tell me how (just posting a zip with updated files is easiest for me, but diffs or notes would be okay if you want to apply them manually).
Attachments
FFa-Surprise-Auto-Save1.gz
(916.21 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thank you for your bugreport. I've fixed everything and of course added your name in the credits ;).

You can indeed dress serveral armor, when you sell an armor first! This was caused by an old "armor sell macro" which sets the armor to "None".
This was due to a change in the inventory system itself, but I never changed the sell macro.

A list with of grammar / spell corrections would be great. I'm not a native speaker + I'm writing in my free-time and when I'm stressed out. In the end I've concentrated on Strange Legacy aka Trader and never had the motivation to proof-read myself. Besides, one does not see his own mistakes, I'm afraid.

Thanks, I hope you enjoyed Five Fates nevertheless.
white_haired_uncle

Actually, I'm stuck in Surprise. A number of the locations I visit pop up this error:

Invalid WML found: [unstore_unit]: variable 'targetmiddle' doesn't exist

In the attached, you can see this by moving to Aethenwood.

Also, I forgot to mention this:

Invalid WML found: [unstore_unit]: variable 'resistant' doesn't contain unit data

every time I triggered a trap in Dungeon 6 (I think, the one with the steam doors).
Attachments
FFa-Surprise Turn 1-1.gz
(929.66 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
white_haired_uncle

Few other thoughts:

1) If you play around with one of those Surprise saves I uploaded, I think you'll find that the ability to charm (for some units, I'm guessing undead for example are immune) is successful on hit about 100% of the time, not the 5% claimed.

2) I can't view all my abilities. They don't fit on the screen. It would be great to have them available in a unit info section like where you list defenses and resistances in the hero menu (which is awesome, that's something I think should be part of the mainline code).

3) In the hero menu, shops, etc, I'd like to see the default be "nothing/go back/etc". That way if you accidentally double-click you don't buy something you didn't want, for example.
white_haired_uncle

Oh yeah, in Surprise I charmed another unit, and then on the next turn "my enemy" (the one I charmed, and also the last of the "bad guys") summoned a Sea Serpent who is now on my team. Pretty cool, but probably not intended behavour.