Five Fates 1.11, Dungeon crawler

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Heindal

Re: Five Fates - Beta

Post by Heindal »

I don't see any highlighted words! What kind of software did you use? It can be that they were not transfered into the rtf.

Oh and Into-J., if you find any words that offend you, please feel free to tell me, where they are. Curses however are difficult, as I am not a native speaker, so I don't have a feeling how offending some words are. I try to use a normal language and don't go into extremes.

But i personally think, that a dwarf should use some 'curses' (for roleplay reasons) or lets say rude language here and than. If you reconsider the halfvampires story, you will admit that there are situations where any normal person would use a curse.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Into-Jesus, TheScribe:
Please stop this double, triple and quadruple posting. If you want to add something to your post only a few minutes later, and no-one has answered yet, please use the "edit" button instead of posting anew.
I did not merge the third and fourth post in a row by you, TheScribe, so that the attachment do not get lost. The other posts I edited, but please consider this in the future.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

I didn't know you could edit new attatchments into a post. Sorry.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Heindal wrote:But i personally think, that a dwarf should use some 'curses' (for roleplay reasons) or lets say rude language here and than. If you reconsider the halfvampires story, you will admit that there are situations where any normal person would use a curse.
Yeah, but there are still enough words that are not rude. Try various animals (swine, son of a three-legged dog,...), or just groups of non-vulgar expressive adjectives with a noun describing it not in the most friendly way, like 'putrid abomination', 'wretched dreadful crone', 'loathsome freak' or 'bloody infested pile of slime of a thousand ghouls'. Wesnoth is supposed to take place in the medieval ages, when people knew more creative ways to insult (I think). Or just place there a <b><i>beep</i></b>.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

I quite agree. A lot of insults of that time period aren't considered rude anymore. Where you had the peasant curse in the halfvampire storyline, it could be replaced easily with any of the ones Dugi mentioned.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Into-Jesus

Post by Into-Jesus »

I can also just put "(curses)" in italics. Then nothing is being said, but it keeps the original flavor.

And Crendgrim,

I apologize for double posting. I don't normally, but I was pressed for time and forgot to edit. I will do my best to remember to use the "edit" button in the future. I'm not used to being able to edit anything until you're a moderator, so it's not the first thing that comes to mind. I apologize again.

Post2 - Later that day...
I have the dialouge now. I edited out the words that I found offensive and replaced them with phrases that got the message across, or with words like "Vermin". I think I got all the grammatical errors and made it flow a little more smoothly. And if I can choose what my statue is, I'd like a Paladin. If you'd rather just rename one of the statues already present, that's fine, it's your campaign. :D
Attachments
The_Five_Fates-Dialouge_Changes.zip
Dialouge Changes
(43.55 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
"The problem with Internet quotes is that you can never tell when they're true." - Ben Franklin

On Wesbreak
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

One issue with the weeds item. I don't know what the signifigance of smoking weeds is in Germany, but it has some pretty bad connotations in
America...
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Just curious, is your inventory system at its completed version or are you still working on it?

P.S. the background for skill trees make the text very difficult to read. The version is what I've downloaded just now...

P.S.2 "you look left and right... ... Then you open the bottle"
LUA: Llama Under Apprenticeship
Hell faction: completed
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

@Battlestar: The inventory is a work in progress, but everything should work so far, but some details may change (such as images).
There are still a lot of small mistakes such as the 'then' and "than" all over the game. These mistakes will be corrected within the next version.

@Into-Jesus: I will replace the smokes by 'munch', saying that he/she 'eats' the herb. Even though it could just mean to smoke 'tabacco' or a 'cigarette', but I don't want to argue about that now and please don't use this thread for arguing about these things - its a development thread and it should contain hints and bug reports not discussions about a single word. Commercial Games like 'gothic' used the same wording.

@ all: To prevent any more unnecessary posts: Please don't report single issues, but if it is important enough than write it down and keep playing. After you finished the games make a list of the points and post it here. I will than implant these changes with the next update.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

When speaking about inventory, you might want to check my resource pack named 'Dugi's Resource Pack', there is a load of macros creating a complex, WML-based inventory system (and a lot of other stuff).
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

My holiday is over and so I'm proud to announce the next and for the next weeks last update of Five Fates.
Unfortunately I won't have much time to code in the next weeks.

Uploaded new version:

0.23 'Shadows over Elensefar'

This update contains a lot of wording changes. Typos and some words almost everywhere have been corrected - there is still alot to be done. Thanks to the helpers The Scribe and Into Jesus here in the Wesnoth Forum, also thanks to all players who played my campaign so far.

Why calling this update 'Shadows over Elensefar'?

Elensefar on the Worldmap is in Danger, the orcs are up for something! I created 11 Random missions that can be done for the cityguards of different cities in the Worldmap. Deliver Parcels, Scout Areas, Destroy Orcish Outposts/Watchtowers, Take out random generated Banditcamps and Monsternests and finally destroy the secret superweapon of the orcs! There are also some changes done in the inventory. You can now buy 'true' teleport scrolls and use them directly from the menu. Dwarven Bombs have to be used from the consumables menu as well. The diary has been moved into the 'Items and Consumable', the Status can be reviewed within the Inventory.

I changed the Steamgates into a monster, allowing you to destroy them, if you have the time :). The Steamlevel will be harder this way, as the mechanic guards can now pass the Steamgates, constantly attacking you. But this way the level gets a higher dynamic.

@ Thanks dugi, but I like my inventory concept. It is easier for me to build out my own inventory concept, instead of overtaking the inventory of someone else. But I will check it as soon as I have the time.
Into-Jesus

Post by Into-Jesus »

Just to let you know, you spelled "The Scribe", "The Scripe". And the white mage is fine.
"The problem with Internet quotes is that you can never tell when they're true." - Ben Franklin

On Wesbreak
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Just fixed it.
darknear

Post by darknear »

just played the campaign till scenario 4 and it is AWESOME!

I played with the half-vampire, and I found the story interesting, and the maps wellmade. there were only a few
things that I didn't really like:

scenario 1
for example the turn-triggered events in scenario 1 (atleast I assume that they are turn-triggered). the reason that I didn't like that, is that if I took my time to explore the first part of the map ( salesman, and the thingy to the right for which I have to use cheat-mode) It would take me a crapload of time to clear out all the bats, which isn't that bad, but by the time I cleared them out, the ghouls were already at me, making the constant battle boring. I also couldn't take some zombies with me, because they can't get past the traps ( traps do 20 damage, and zombies only have like 16 hp) farther the level was great, really. :D

scenario 4
the only problem that I had with this level actually doesn't have anything to do with the level itself, but more with the given that my save files were corrupted. I don't really know if this is an issue with the game or with my computer, but I thought that maybe I should mention it.

to provide some more information, here's my character build&items.

half-vampire
mage+vamp build
javalin& the fencer dagger, hp potion and the mage clothing with teleport ability.

this may seem as a run down-list of all the things that I didn't like about this campaign, but I didn't feel that it would be very productive to mention everything that I liked about the campaign (cuz everything that I didn't mention here is good, atleast in my opinion :D )

hope that this helps, in some way :lol2:
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi !
Heindal wrote: If there wouldn't had been a statue for you in five fates I would now build one ^^.
What ? Which statue ?
Well, I started 'Five Fates' to understand and was confused... :oops: I don't think I deserve so much credits. At least, I owe you some review of your campaign.

As the previous poster, I will not praise all what I liked here. Anyway, I must say technical realization is very fine. The 'hero menu', the inventory, all this is very well done and easy to understand and to use. Maps and sprites are rather original too. It's refreshing. Text and story are fine too and not too invasive.
That said, one will find here all the classical RPG stuff (the only 'missing' thing is monsters don't drop items when dying). I'm not a fan of RPG so I will not criticize your design. Just my two cents about some points:

- moving: I hate moving endlessly in caves, waiting for turns to complete. Honestly, I cheated here, giving my character more move points and the teleport ability, not waiting to get them through the advancement process (and some more tricks of my own, don't ask). Of course, it spoils the timing of some events, but it's then much less frustrating. I think you could reduce the maps size, or give some way to travel faster, unless you did this on purpose. At least, you could change the store terrain to allow visiting all stores in a single turn.

- pick and lockpick. Raaaaaaaaaaah ! When I saw these items were not for sale, I *knew* I will get one of these only at the very end (I know, it's random, but I have a personnal problem with randomization). Actually, it was even worse. I finally found a pick on dungeon 4 but... the dialog said I had already one. Of course, against a loose wall, it was not. (But I would not state it is a bug, maybe my cheating practices are responsible). But I could not open anything. Maybe it's not so important, if the chests contain only gold or superfluous items, but the player don't know. I would suggest to give early some sure way (maybe expensive) to get those precious objects.

- more variety. OK, the objectives are always the same: explore the dungeon, kill everything not wearing a red shirt and at last the level boss. But you could put here (in the maps as they are already) some slightly different problems (I don't mean only more traps and more hidden monsters). For example, you could have an empty cave room where, when the player come in, two huge armies fill the room, fighting against each other (and the player). If the player comes back and exits the room, the armies vanish, and the player has to understand he must walk only on some particular hexes to cross safely. I think you've enough large empty rooms in your maps to fill them with such ideas.

Just for fun, I suggest the statues in level 1 could say something mysterious, crazy or give some advice.

Friendly,