Return to Noelren 0.7.6

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

chak_abhi

Re: Return to Noelren 0.6 - now complete

Post by chak_abhi »

I at least won't mind if the difficulty of the campaign remains the same overall, as it gives the player the opportunity of understanding the story properly rather than going all out against hordes of enemies!
I didn't find any scenario really difficult, but "Defending Fremagel" appears somewhat irritating due to the large amount of gold of the enemies (which I reduced a bit to focus more on the story part).
Since this campaign's merit lies mostly in the story (and in the WML, but not all people understand it) I recommend that it will be better if the lacunae in the storyline are addressed first. Then at least all sensible people will be satisfied with the unfolding of events and the final outcome.
Spoiler:
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi !

So you're a "story-reader" player :D
OK, thanks for you good advices. BTW, Defending Fremagel is not intended to be winned killing enemy leaders. You only need to block the ford (which is really easy), but it's not forbidden to cross it and defeat the enemies. I'm sure some players will do that and manage to kill both dwarves leaders and even undeads later. But Fremagel castle will fall, whatever you choose to do.

Here is the code you asked for. BTW, it was not in RTN-scenario.cfg :oops:
Spoiler:
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

Thanks a lot. :)
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Hello everybody...

Just a word to say the campaign is not dead. I'm working on a new major version addressing the problems reported here, and much more, particularly characters improvements (AMLA, sprites, stats and so on).

I hope to upload version 0.7 in september.

Have fun...
taptap

Post by taptap »

I started to play around in Return to Noelren a little. I understand that it intends to be story-centered, offering puzzles etc.

Scenario 1
Spoiler:
Scenario 2
Spoiler:
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
gosh

Post by gosh »

Hi I'm currently on "errands". I'm having a slight problem...i can't end the scenario..Hint still shows "follow the coast to the simple village to the south", though all my units reached the other side..Besides, i also encountered some problems(bugs?) already mentioned here like units having HP more than max, no healing while on parallel worlds, own villages unflagged etc
The story is superb...i made it to "Errands" in 4 hours just to know how this story spans out....I'm using Version 1.10.2
Is there any way??? :whistle:
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

@gosh
gosh wrote:Hi I'm currently on "errands". I'm having a slight problem...i can't end the scenario..Hint still shows "follow the coast to the simple village to the south", though all my units reached the other side.
Try to move the carriage to the signpost at x=49-51, y=17-25 in map 1. It should always trigger the victory.
gosh wrote:.Besides, i also encountered some problems(bugs?) already mentioned here like units having HP more than max, no healing while on parallel worlds, own villages unflagged etc
Yes, I know. The problem is Wesnoth engine only manage the current map at the beginning of your side turn (healing, villages management, etc). So I have to do these things in WML when maps are switched. Rather tricky, and not yet perfect... :oops:
gosh wrote: The story is superb...i made it to "Errands" in 4 hours just to know how this story spans out....I'm using Version 1.10.2
Is there any way??? :whistle:
I hope you'll enjoy the remaining part of the story. Thanks for your comments and appreciation.

@taptap
taptap wrote:I started to play around in Return to Noelren a little. I understand that it intends to be story-centered, offering puzzles etc.
That's right...
taptap wrote: Scenario 1
Spoiler:
OK...
I have worked on it to make this scenario as short as possible: that's why there are so many orcs, overpowered elves, stupid mayor and so on. Reading your comment, I think maybe it would be better to leave the scenario as it is on easy, and setting all humans on one side for normal and hard. This would give a battle like the first one of Northern Rebirth, more interesting for advanced players.
BTW, I wasn't aware players could look at the campaign unit tree. It's good to know. Super elves are not really needed in the campaign, but all main characters have some special abilities and advancement (for now they are overpowered, but I plan to nerf them, at least in normal and hard level.
taptap wrote:
Scenario 2
It is possible - in fact not even unlikely - to die here (especially against the knight), yet there is no start of scenario save. One of both should imho be changed otherwise you imply to the player that you expect them to play your campaign relying heavily on saveloads. In fact this is a problem with small group gameplay in Wesnoth in general. If you try to make it tricky then you can easily be killed by the RNG, but if you leave enough safety against bad luck it ultimately is easy to solve.
Yes, you're right. It's a difficult problem.
taptap wrote:
It is possible to trigger the knight before the fountain appeared on the map leading to utter confusion.
That's right, I wonder how so many people (including me) could miss that.
taptap wrote: Also it is possible to trigger the knight more than once.
That's right but intended. Remember the Barenton fountain in Broceliande forest !
taptap wrote:
Comment regarding overpowered plot-device units applies here as well.

I would like to see non-obvious move targets on the map not in the context menu. Maybe the red "please go here" overlay used elsewhere.
I doubt it. I fear it would be only boring if all labyrinth exits were marked.
taptap wrote: Story: It is very disturbing to me as an adult male, that the love interest (knightly romance interest) is depicted as a very underage child with wings. The normal shaman portrait has a young woman, using this or any alternative shaman portrait is much preferred. I am btw currently reading a book about medieval times and events like a 17 yr. old women starting (on her own initiative) a (knightly) romantic correspondence with an elderly writer are not unheard of, but especially as immersion is so important to a plot-centered campaign, I would urge to change the portrait.
Yes, but Lestiviel is underaged at the beginning of the story. She's about thirteen. Old enough to have romantic dreams, but knowing not clearly what she wants (a father ? an elder brother ? a love affair ?) and how to ask. In the second part (five years later), she is not still a child, and, of course, her portait change. For now, it is the elvish shyde, and I have posted a draft of a future portrait in Art Workshop. BTW, she will disappear rather quickly from first part, but I have put a lot of (hopely) charming women in the campaign. You shall meet them soon !

Thanks for your comments. I knew they would be very interesting. Actually, I have two ways to improve and finish this campaign: the first being focusing on story and special tricks, the second being to design hard level as a more conventionnal skirmish campaign. I don't know if I really can reach these two goals without getting a poor skirmish campaign and a worse story. In this, your opinion is precious.
Friendly,
GrigA41

Post by GrigA41 »

pyrophorus,
please, tell where to download your campaign?
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi !
Well... on the add_ons server. The easiest way is to use Wesnoth itself (hit the button 'add ons' in the welcome screen).
Else, you can use http://http://addons.wesnoth.org/1.9/, but you'll have to install the campaign by yourself in the 'add_ons' folder.
Hope you'll enjoy it...
Friendly,
GrigA41

Post by GrigA41 »

Thank you!
I couldn't find it in a list of 'add ons' inside the game, but it downloaded well from where you told. Now it's running, thanks again!
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi !
I don't understand why you didn't find it in the add-ons list. Which Wesnoth version do you use ?
Friendly,
GrigA41

Post by GrigA41 »

Hi!
I use 1.11.0 version, on windows7. Add ons server: add-ons.wesnoth.org
Don't know why, but your, as bad as many others i found on web page you mentioned, are not listed in game...

B.t.w.: in the middle of Glynn_Forest mission appeared a notification (upper left corner of screen), something about incorrect working of 'sides_utils' and a sugestion to use some other file with almost the same name instead. I didn't give it much attention since the game was running OK and I dont remember the exact words. I belive it happend when two undead units appear after Tiomen took an Axe, but when I tryed to go through that moment again nothing happened.
When I found the way out of forest through a lake in the east (only Lestiviel could pass) the final dialog ended with error message and game returned to main menu.
"game_error: invalid side(4) found in unit definition"
I thought it happened because party members were not joint and tryed again, returning by the western trail. But the same error appeared.
I restarted Wesnoth and the notification didn't appear again, but the trouble continued.
So I'm stuck there.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Scenario 3 (018)
Spoiler:
Scenario 4 (020)
Spoiler:
Scenario 5 (030)
Spoiler:
Scenario 6 (040)
Spoiler:
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

GrigA41 wrote:Hi!
I use 1.11.0 version, on windows7. Add ons server: add-ons.wesnoth.org
Don't know why, but your, as bad as many others i found on web page you mentioned, are not listed in game...
The reason is you use 1.11.0. RtN works with Wesnoth 1.10 and I never tested it under 1.11 which is a development version. Same with the other add-ons you discovered on the page I quoted. The 1.11 game lists only 1.11 add-ons. That's why you get all these errors.
GrigA41 wrote: So I'm stuck there.
The best way is to install Wesnoth 1.10 (last stable version). You need not to uninstall 1.11, both are compatible. Then you'll be able to play my campaign (and many others).
Friendly,
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

@taptap: thanks for this new report.

Scenario 3 (018)
Spoiler:
Scenario 4 (020)
Spoiler:
Scenario 5 (030)
Spoiler:
Scenario 6 (040)
Spoiler:
Friendly,
Last edited by pyrophorus on September 14th, 2012, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.