divided worlds

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

powershot

Re: German Campaign

Post by powershot »

Like the Invasion form the Unknown with 56,000 downloads.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

powershot:
IftU is another game, it's not only a campaign. That one features many own terrains, even more special units, slightly altered gameplay, and so on. I really do not think that this is doable by a beginning WML coder.
born2bBoss should IMO really stick to his idea if he likes it. It's better to have a not-so-renowned campaign finished than trying to get all different kind of units and then get stuck on the coding.

born2bBoss:
I would really suggest you to have a look at Danse Macabre which features many special walking corpses. Some of them could come in quite handy for you.

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
powershot

Post by powershot »

I'm not an expert WML coder(beginner,medium actually), But I am good programing individual units for MP. So if Born2Boss needs any help I'm right here.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Making units is generally pretty easy (unless you also need to make some strange ability for them). Doing good things with them is harder and more important.

As it is though, I wouldn't measure campaigns 'epicness' by number of downloads (though I agree IftU is epic) but rather by the nature of the plot, size, and scope. I do not think a first time campaign designer needs to aim for a large project or that a smaller one is inherantly worse. My most succesful campaign, Count Kromire, is a fairly short one (9 combat scenarios) and was also my first one.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
born2bBoss

Post by born2bBoss »

I hope, that many pepole gonna download it! Cause if there are many downloads, it is totally awesome and if there are no downloads, its a totally pisslab.
But first, i need an idea...

wich of these is the best?
-You are a Dragon and you must kidnap a princess for completing your trophys
-You are the captain of a starship and you must find out of a para-universe
-You are the king of the snakeish empire and you mustdefend from the spiders invasion
-You are a robot with machine intelligence and now your builders see, how dangerous you are and they wanna destroy you
I am making the campaign divided Worlds.
Pictures here.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

On what criteria do you want us to judge 'best'?

It sounds to me from the descriptions that you're looking for an unusual or off the wall story. This can be good but keep in mind that there are reasons for many of the conventions of typical Wesnoth campaign and I suspect you will not find any of those ideas easy to do well.

The first one does not sound like an entire campaign it sounds like a scenario or two at best. From the perspective of one who likes to control an army and battle it out against larger armies it does not sound like all that interesting a scenario even.

The second one looks like it would require you to make new art, possibly lots of complex new art, it does not in and of itself indicate how it would be generating the conflict/battles needed for a campaign.

The third one looks the most simple and strait forward (thus easier to make) to me however unless you find some way to make it more complicated than that I suspect that it will be by necessity very short. It will also require making artwork and unless you have some reason why your snake vs spider conflict is all that much more interesting than the same set-up with pre-made factions I don't see what the fact that it is snakes vs spiders adds to it. In general forcing people to learn factions which are only used in one campaign unless it is for very specific campaign design reasons is a bad thing.

The final one again requires custom art and units and does not tell me enough to know what you want to do with it.

In general it seems to me like you're going to be making this hard on yourself and unfamiliar to your players just for the sake of being different and I don't think that's a good reason or idea. If you have some really good reason to choose to do one of these things that way then go for it but it doesn't sound like it. The reason I choose to use Era of Myths for my first campaign was because I was attempting to promote the era so that I could get more playtesters for it and the fact that I was using vampires made it easy to generate conflict(thus scenarios) in the campaign (aside vampires are fairly interesting tactically) and on top of that, the era was already there, I didn't have to create it from scratch (and I'm certainly no artist). I think you would be better off trying to do something novel (though in truth, well done typical would be fine) with the resources already given to you rather than attempting to do very typical things (like the snakes vs spiders or the robot one) with resources you'd have to create for yourself.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
powershot

Post by powershot »

Naga king, vs. spiders? Has potential. You need more details though.
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
born2bBoss

Post by born2bBoss »

@powershot: No i mean Snake King, but thats almost the same...
@Velensk: Of course at the end i will decide, what i do. But i am not the whole earth, so i dont know what the other pepole like. Im no Profi by making Art, but im sure, i could do it. My Avatar is self-maded.

All right, then i take the Snakes. That also was my favorite Idea. So now im thinking about a story. When i have it, i will post it here.
Pictures here.
powershot

Post by powershot »

born2bBoss wrote:@powershot: No i mean Snake King, but thats almost the same...
@Velensk: Of course at the end i will decide, what i do. But i am not the whole earth, so i dont know what the other pepole like. Im no Profi by making Art, but im sure, i could do it. My Avatar is self-maded.

All right, then i take the Snakes. That also was my favorite Idea. So now im thinking about a story. When i have it, i will post it here.
Just suggestions:

Explain why they are fighting?

Where they live?

What the current relation ships are?

You don't have to take the advice, just thought it might help. :)
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
born2bBoss

Post by born2bBoss »

They are fighting, cause the spiders want to overtake the whole jungleworld [any name]. The next Folk they must kill for, are the Snakes.
Princess [any name] met with the spider King for dealing for peace, cause the snakes dont want to fight, but the spider King kidnapped her, so now the Snakes prince [any name] want to save hes sister.
The current relation ships are verry bad, cause the spiders are greedy and ruthless and as i said, the kidnapped the princess.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok here is the princess:
Attachments
snake-princess.png
snake-princess.png (1.79 KiB) Viewed 2133 times
Pictures here.
powershot

Post by powershot »

born2bBoss wrote:They are fighting, cause the spiders want to overtake the whole jungleworld [any name]. The next Folk they must kill for, are the Snakes.
Princess [any name] met with the spider King for dealing for peace, cause the snakes dont want to fight, but the spider King kidnapped her, so now the Snakes prince [any name] want to save hes sister.
The current relation ships are verry bad, cause the spiders are greedy and ruthless and as i said, the kidnapped the princess.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok here is the first layout of the princess:
The attachment snake-princess.png is no longer available
Now i smooth the edges and add a shaddow.
But do you think, a snake princess would look so?
Nagini princess? :shock: Where's Zerovirus? :lol2: @Born2boss: you made need a naga queen sprite unless you use this:
sea-hag.png
sea-hag.png (697 Bytes) Viewed 2133 times
sea-hag-defend.png
sea-hag-defend.png (843 Bytes) Viewed 2133 times
Sorry, didn't know you had an image.
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

born2bBoss wrote:I hope, that many pepole gonna download it! Cause if there are many downloads, it is totally awesome and if there are no downloads, its a totally pisslab.
But first, i need an idea...

wich of these is the best?
-You are a Dragon and you must kidnap a princess for completing your trophys
-You are the captain of a starship and you must find out of a para-universe
-You are the king of the snakeish empire and you mustdefend from the spiders invasion
-You are a robot with machine intelligence and now your builders see, how dangerous you are and they wanna destroy you
As my opinion, if you are looking for more numbers of the download in this community, creating a campaign with using the default-major-factions is less risky than making a robot or a starship campaign. Of course, a good storyline and a plot, also fun game-plays and fine arts, will be ahead of it, though.

I used to be a Super Mario Bros. freak (in a long time ago), so I understand your approach, but here is a bit different from one of those games.:wink:
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
born2bBoss

Post by born2bBoss »

@Powershot: If the one i made isnt good, i also can take your image, but even, i mean snakes, not nagas (but they look good).
@SkyOne: I will not view the downloads like a mad bulldog, for me the number of downloads is just the feedback.
And im not about crying because i cant make something with my mario. I still san use it as avatar :wink: and im happy if i can do anything.

And this could be the prince:
snake-prince.png
snake-prince.png (1.59 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
PS: i am thinking, that i first will make it in english and then translate it...
Pictures here.
powershot

Post by powershot »

I didn't make the sea hag. I think the serpents look nice. I can't draw some thing like that.

One tip: I think there facing the wrong direction.
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
born2bBoss

Post by born2bBoss »

Hmmm... I gonna change that.
And how you find this profile of the prince?
Attachments
snake-prince.png
snake-prince.png (6.41 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
Pictures here.