Custom Campaign 2.2.0 for Wesnoth 1.17/1.18

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

wesnothPrince

Re: Custom Campaign 2.0.8 for Wesnoth 1.14

Post by wesnothPrince »

Thanks SigurdFireDragon! I appreciate your help in this, and your responses to my questions. I will let me son know, and maybe this might motivate him to learn some coding and try some things out. (At least it is worth a shot - have to get him doing more than just playing during this pandemic!)
Gregcraft

Post by Gregcraft »

I like it to create my own campaigns with this customisation. It would be cool if you would add some characters from the campaign "Coming of the Storm".
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Gregcraft wrote: July 20th, 2020, 7:39 am I like it to create my own campaigns with this customisation. It would be cool if you would add some characters from the campaign "Coming of the Storm".
Since that would require special code to handle an individual campaign-specific unit, it won't happen.
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
LordVandor

Post by LordVandor »

Hello. I'm a huge, huge fan of your mod. I have been using it since 2016. But I beg you, for the love of god, bring the search bar and filters back. I use War of the Gods which has thousands of units, and without filters and search bar it takes me HOURS to create a faction, scrolling through all my possible options in alphabetical order. Please, fix this at once.
LordVandor

Post by LordVandor »

Another suggestion would be to make the factions work with campaigns. I don't know if it's possible, but if a campaign is made so that talking units refer to "the commander", "a random unit", "the first recruited unit" and so on, instead of a specific unit with a specific name, than you can put any faction and the campaign will work. That depends on the campaigns, of course, and it's not related to this particular mod. However, there could be a togglable option to replace these types of speak commands in the campaign? I don't know.
LordVandor

Post by LordVandor »

Last thing: choosing Commanders is also broken. If I create different Commander units they all spawn together at start. Instead, it should let me choose between them.
Right now, if I want to do that, I have to copy the same faction over and over and give it one different Commander each copy.

I get trying to renovate a system, but it was perfectly fine before, and now it has all these problems.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

LordVandor wrote: June 8th, 2021, 2:44 pm ...bring the search bar and filters back. I use War of the Gods which has thousands of units,...
I'll see what might be done to add a search bar, filters, and things to ease the use with large number of units when I port the add-on to 1.15/1.16. No promises though.
LordVandor wrote: June 8th, 2021, 2:46 pm Another suggestion would be to make the factions work with campaigns. I don't know if it's possible, but if a campaign is made so that talking units refer to "the commander", "a random unit", "the first recruited unit" and so on, instead of a specific unit with a specific name, than you can put any faction and the campaign will work. That depends on the campaigns, of course, and it's not related to this particular mod. However, there could be a togglable option to replace these types of speak commands in the campaign? I don't know.
That's additional work that wouldn't add much to the functionality, and something like that is already in place. As long as an mp campaign doesn't specify specific units via id it should work. Also I don't necessarly want to add a toggle option, I had too many options in the 1.x series & too messy of code cause of it.
LordVandor wrote: June 8th, 2021, 2:49 pm Last thing: choosing Commanders is also broken. If I create different Commander units they all spawn together at start. Instead, it should let me choose between them.
It's working as intended. If you create a leader with a gold crown, that one is auto recalled first. silver crown, auto recalled second. bronze crown stays on the recall list until you recall the unit in the scenario. There is a similar dynamic for hero & loyal. Changing crowns is under edit unit/set role.

The version for 1.15/1.16 is gonna have some changes, as there are at least 2 BfW changes that I'll have to account for that will influence how this mod works.
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
LordVandor

Post by LordVandor »

Thanks a lot for the quick reply and the clarifications.
I still think the Gold Crown Commanders should be treated differently: when you select a faction, it lets you choose one of the G.C. Commanders, and the others either stay in the recall list or are disabled for that scenario.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

This mod is interesting. At first though I was confused by the name. It's really a custom faction construction set. Any campaign is something the user has to set up by themselves.

Once I figured out how to use this I created a faction from several eras and pitted it against another era plus the older faction I'd "made" when I first tried it (just a regular faction but with powerful level 3 saved recalls which the AI gleefully used against me : ). It's really wild to have a recruit list of Gates(EoMa), Wisps(LE), Gnolls(WoL), Balgs(Meloen), Crystal Shards(?), Givers(LE) and Frightening Beasts(EoS) plus a Gremlin Adept(LE) as leader!

Picking units for the recruit list is a bit of a chore when you have as many addon eras as I do though. Pity there's no search like there is when you use debug unit create. Interesting too that units are grouped not by era but by race, that was unexpected.

Who needs ageless era with this mod? : ) You can play anything vs anything here! Very cool.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

@Atreides
Glad you like it.

There are going to be some changes when I update it for 1.16, due to changes in how BfW handles add-ons.
Creating a faction from multiple era's units is one of the things that will be affected.
I'm thinking about implementing a search like debug unit create has.
Not sure yet when I will get to these things.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

SigurdFireDragon wrote: August 19th, 2021, 5:06 pm @Atreides
Glad you like it.

There are going to be some changes when I update it for 1.16, due to changes in how BfW handles add-ons.
Creating a faction from multiple era's units is one of the things that will be affected.
I'm thinking about implementing a search like debug unit create has.
Not sure yet when I will get to these things.
Oof yeah I ran into 1.16's "compartmentalization" of eras myself. Hope it won't cause too much trouble. I just found this for 1.14 though so I'm perfectly happy with the current version. Lots more thing I can't wait to try out like setting up a battle between 1 faction from each of as many eras as I can fit in... hmmm that'd be 33 on one Dominus map. <grin>
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Custom Campaign 2.1.0 for Wesnoth 1.15/1.16

Custom Campaign 2.1.0 is now available on the Wesnoth 1.16.x add-on server for BfW 1.15.14 and up!

Changes:
Replace deprecated lua and wml
Replaced deprecated usage of overlays
Make sure music stops on launch of CC scenario
Add all mainline enable macros for unit advancement plus one for the EoL Orcish High Warlord if Era of Legends is present
Rename Clear Recall to Seed Recall and allow seeding of recall list in addition to clearing it.

Important Adjustments for:
Development Team wrote: October 13th, 2021, 8:43 pm [*] Top level tags of add-ons, which are not involved with the currently active add-ons, are deactivated. That means in particular, [units] and [trait]s are not relevant if they are defined in an add-on which does not provide one of the currently active [campaign], [scenario], [era], [multiplayer], [modification] or [resource].
Due to this, If you choose to load a saved faction made from an era that is not the active one, units may fail to load and other errors can occur.

Some examples to illustrate:
If you create a saved faction from the 'Imperial' era for the Marauders, if you then select the 'Default' era on mp game creation, the Marauder faction won't load properly, as the units will no longer be available. If you select the 'Imperial Champions' era on mp game creation, the saved Marauder faction will load, as both the 'Imperial' and 'Imperial Champions' eras are from the same add-on "Imperial Era" and thus load the same set of units.
Also, since mainline units are always loaded, any saved faction created entirely from mainline units will always load, no matter what era is selected on mp game creation (i.e. Undead from default, Rebel from AoH, etc)
If you want to use units from both Imperial Era and Era of Myths togeter in a single saved faction, you would have to make it from an era that contains both unit sets, such as Ageless Era

To help with this, the following updates to the Custom Campaign user interface have been made:
The active era name & id is now indicated at the top of the faction selection menu and at the top of the faction editing scenario.
Also, anytime you create a saved faction, the name and id of the era active on creation is saved with it and visible during faction selection and editing.
Example: if the defalt era is active it will show as 'Default (era_default)'.

Replies:
FortTell wrote: March 17th, 2019, 4:13 pm Not sure whether this report should go to Random Campaign or Custom Campaign, but I was playing Random Campaign with Switch Leader mod active and switched the leader on one of the maps. Upon starting the next map, I instantly lost because the old leader was spawned on the keep, not the new one.

Probably not worth fixing on your end, just information that RC/CC and Switch Leader have compatibility issues.
@FortTell
I looked at the Switch Leader mod compatibly issue:
RC auto recalls the unit with the id=Commander from your recall list.
For CC, it clears all units for the side on the map and then it only recalls specific units designated via cc unit variables. (which are reflected as gold & silver crowns and hero crown) chosen via edit unit set role in the CC scenario.
Switch leader mod functionality when used removes leadership from all existing leaders of the side on the map and gives it to the one you chose.
Since it can't take into account RC's id=Commander Key, or CC's unit variable designation, the interaction between the two caused the issue you described.
For RC, If doable, I might add fallback code in a future version that checks for a leader on the recall list in prestart and recalls one if not already on the map.
For CC the same fallback code might be able to be added to CC as well in a future version.

@ArcdeSeel
I've decided not to add a recall cost adjust at this time. I want to keep the functionality simple. As you mentioned, it can be changed in the persistent file. Also one can use :debug :unit recall_cost=X where X is the desired cost. I probably will add the ability to change recall cost into Gui Debug Tools at some point.

@LordVandor & @Atreides
No search/filters on unit selection yet. Hopefully some day.

@Atreides
Maybe I should change the name of the add-on someday, it is certainly isn't the best name for it.
Atreides

Re: Custom Campaign 2.1.0 for Wesnoth 1.15/1.16

Post by Atreides »

Just tried the 1.16 version of this and was sad to see that one can no longer mix and match freely, only within an era. I had actually hoped that I could pit a faction from an era vs a faction from a campaign, but I suspect that does not work even for 1.14. I'll try though! : )

And now I gotta figure out why I seem to have mixed and matched saved factions for 1.16. I must have copied them over from 1.14...

Anyways it's still awesome, not much one can do when the main game changes things, eh.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Custom Campaign 2.1.0 for Wesnoth 1.15/1.16

Atreides wrote: December 18th, 2022, 3:20 am Just tried the 1.16 version of this and was sad to see that one can no longer mix and match freely, only within an era. I had actually hoped that I could pit a faction from an era vs a faction from a campaign, but I suspect that does not work even for 1.14. I'll try though! : )
Yeah, faction from an era vs a faction from a campaign never worked. It would require code in CC to load a specific campaign's units.
Atreides wrote: December 18th, 2022, 3:20 am Anyways it's still awesome, ...