UMC Image Resources as add-on or as website?

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

How should the mentioned resource packs be continued?

on a server
31%
as an add-on
25%
both
33%
I don't care.
11%

Total votes: 36

Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

UMC Image Resources as add-on or as website?

Post by Crendgrim »

Hi there!

After I uploaded the new resource pack UMC Story Images to the add-on server, Neuromancer started a project to create also a Portraits Collection for UMC.
The next day, zaroth suggested me on IRC to host this collections somewhere online. This would mean that we would install some sort of image gallery on a server, so UMC authors are able to watch all images in their web browser. The advantage of this would be that UMC authors won't have to download the whole, large add-on packs, but would be able to look through the images online. Besides, online the images could easier be categorized and tagged, so it's easier to find them. However, we first have to find a location where we could host this gallery. Furthermore, users would have to download each and every image and move it to the proper place inside the campaign folder.

So I asked Neuromancer what he thought of this idea and we agreed to ask the community first. This way, we'll hopefully get useful opinions on this matter, before we start to search a host and put all the needed effort to configure the gallery in this project without knowing whether anyone will use it.

Of course, we could also try to do both, but that would imply much work for us. If we did that, we would definitely need other people helping us.

What do you think what would be better? Please vote and add some comments below. :)

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Wendek

Re: UMC Image Resources as add-on or as website?

Post by Wendek »

The ability to select a few images (and preview them) is a very good reason to put it on a server instead of a huge add-on.
However, if some people need more than "a few", then the add-on might get more useful, so "both" is definitly the best option, but since it obviously requires more work, I voted for server. :)
"You see, it's not about what you take with you, it's about what you leave behind." (Turisas, The Bosphorus Freezes Over)
"A man chooses, a slave obeys." (Andrew Ryan, BioShock)
boru

Post by boru »

Server is obviously the best choice. An add-on of this nature can only grow in size, and after a few months or years, it will become unmanageable.

Are you familiar with the Wesnoth Repository? They started work on a similar idea, but they also wanted to include all sprites, terrain, etc.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

boru:
Interesting. I thought WSRSW was only supposed to be a rating system for add-ons. :?
That may be another (and much easier) choice, actually. I'll see if I can write to those guys and ask if the project is still living.
Thanks for the link :)

Crend
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

I voted for the add-on server.
Reason:
Experience shows that projects get abandoned after time. People come and go. Imagine the person on who the external server mostly depends to disappear (zaroth I guess) - the resource can get lost. Maintenance load will be heavier.
The addons servers have a web interface (even 1.0 addons can still be downloaded from there) and are tied heavily to the rather large wesnoth main community, other than some external set up server (I guess ;)).
(Who is it who administrates the addons servers ? Where are they located ? Somehow I expect shadowmaster behind all of them ;).)
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
boru

Post by boru »

Crendgrim:

Wesnoth Repository is not WSRSW.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Anonymissimus:
That's exactly one of the reasons why I'm not sure what do to...

boru:
Okay ... but it is hosted there.

Crend
melinath

Post by melinath »

I think the idea of including everything on a good server (i.e. not in a wiki) is wonderful - if we could find someone to host it. And someone to write the backend.

In terms of the add-on, I think the most important thing to do to keep it from getting too large would be to have strict guidelines on what can go in. This could also have the effect of making inclusion in the collection a matter of prestige among artists, which could elicit contributions for the add-on specifically.

Something to keep in mind is that a lot of the good artwork for UMCs is probably already being used by more than one UMC - so even if the add-on is large, as long as it's focused, the overall amount that users have to store on their hard drives may actually decrease. (Not to mention the fact that if such a collection did exist, more UMC authors would look to it as a common source.)
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

the reason I think the add-ons server is the best place, is that it would be where every body could find it, without having to be directed to a site. and if the add-on gets too big, make a bunch of categorised add-ons, "old pictures that require patching up" and so forth.
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Basically, I don't have a strong opinion on this. Whatever you, the other creators, and developers are comfortable, that will be fine for me. So I thought I did not have to vote, but there is one that is "I don't care". So I have voted it. ("I don't mind" is a more correct word for me.)

Thanks for asking to everyone. :)
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

melinath:
Well, you're pointing out exactly the doubts I have.

Boldek:
To find an add-on in the long add-on list isn't that easy either..
If the page would be linked in central positions of the Campaign Tutorial on the Wiki (and I would take care of that), also everybody would take notice of it..

SkyOne:
Well, I don't know either. That's why I created the poll :P

Crend
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Okay, just to bump this and bring it again to public attention: There were 6 votes for "on a server" and 5 for "both" which makes a total of 11 out of 20 votes for the server project. However, there wasn't anyone who volunteered to help out with that. Now that Neuromancer also dropped out (because he left his portrait collection project), I'm left alone; and I don't have the time to establish and maintain such a site alone.
So, if no one else has got enough time and is in the mood for this (and I'm not looking for people who aren't sure, because then I probably would be left alone in a short time again), I'm definitely going to abandon the server idea; even if some people liked it more than the add-on.
This being said, please contact me if you want to help out with this. :)

Crend
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Since zaroth seems to have left us, and since he was the only one who volunteered to implement the web based idea, I finally drop this. I will continue to maintain the add-on, but I won't start the website.
However, if anyone feels interested, please go ahead and do it; I'd very likely help you then.
So, see this as a last cry, because some people (>50%) actually wanted to have the web based solution, be it exclusively or not.

Crend
averyimaginativename

Post by averyimaginativename »

I'll do the web interface.

However, it'll take a few weeks because of kids school summer holidays.
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

... :shock:
I did not really believe anymore anyone would do that .. hey, perfect! :D
Ask me via PM if you need help :)

Crend