The septentrional tower 0.9.9 NOW! (for BfW 1.8)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

klein_atuin

Re: The septentrional tower 0.9.6 NOW! (for BfW 1.8)

Post by klein_atuin » May 4th, 2011, 12:12 pm

hi there,

me again. Played it to the final battle now. There i found my reinforcements are less than promised: neither the wose nor the infantery do recruit (nor the dwarf, but that seems ok). At least the wose had the opportunity several times but didn't.
took a look into the .cfg and saw you want them to, but i know too little wml to see why they don't.

One more thing: in the final battle to my surprise i found the remaining loyal tower guards on my side again. Are those really the ones left alive in the first scenario? If not, just fine. But if they are (and i guess they are):
There's little hint for them reappearing in the storyline. After i found they don't join my journey (no recall list in sc. 2) i payed little attention to them when i started all over again. Guess several players would do so as well.
To find out in the _last_ scenario that you'd better taken care of exactly those units in the first one, might be a little annoying if things get close since one has to play the whole campaign again to change it. If some remaining defenders should appear, maybe better independent of the first scenario? Just an Idea.

perseo

Post by perseo » May 4th, 2011, 7:56 pm

Don't worry They're only some guards that defend the fortress since the last attack of the orcs. It doesn't matter how many guards do you lose in the first scenario, you'll have 3 in the last. The recruits now works porpertly (I hope) and I'll add some story for explain the guards presence. Great, you reached the last scenario. I'm very happy that you continued playing my campaign. THANKS!
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower

klein_atuin

Post by klein_atuin » May 5th, 2011, 4:50 pm

ah, great, sorry for misinterpreting it.

and thanks definitely go to those who build campaigns for all to play!

Edit: no new version for 1.8 available - no recruiting still...

perseo

Post by perseo » May 5th, 2011, 8:31 pm

No problem. I'm very happy you finally like the campaign.
Just some questions for analiise my campaign:
In scenario 7: What did you do? SImply run thowards the necromancer or reach first the forest fortress?
In scenario 8: Did you combat vs spiders or dwarves and trolls?
In scenario 11: It was to difficult?

Appart of this, in general you find there were lot of dialogues or the correct amount of them.

If anyone answer this question I'll be so happy to improve my campaign.

Thanks for your time.
and getting hoarse."

klein_atuin

Post by klein_atuin » May 5th, 2011, 9:54 pm

7: since i didn't know where the necromancer was i followed the hint to the right side first. that took too long. started new and hurried straight northwards.
8: went straight through the cave, only two trolls came from behind i killed.
11: don't know yet. without my allies recruiting, it seems hard to stand against the pure number of enemies. Especially since i have surely not assembled the optimum of forces and gold this time. But i haven't really tried, waiting for the recruitment instead.

In general i think the campaign could use a harder level.
But there are several scenarios that are hardly winable at first try while relatively easy after you tried out which way to take - like 7 or 8 for example. In 7 you need to know where the necromancer resides to take the right direction - and what opponents come to recruit correctly. Thats not unusual for a campaign but here maybe it makes too much of a difference. Just like the bottleneck in scenario 8. You could lose a lot of time if you don't immediately send some quick units into the cave to block it. But that is something, you wouldn't usually do. In fact i did some replays there cause usual, more cautious tactics fail.

So asked for me, making special knowledge about the scenario less important would be fine, while over all the challenges could be tougher. But i'd better first finish the last scenario to say that ;)
---
EDIT: well, even without the allies recruiting sc. 11 seems only tough until the first battle is won. After the second leader is done it tends to become killing routine. Maybe them recruiting isn't even necessary at all. It's just that the lonely Infantryman appears a sad figure and might like two or three comrades to die with ;)
One thing i didn't like: this time the dwarfs didn't even manage to kill the western leader. Again this is a pure random result (player could hardly send forces over there in time to help them, those might easily turn out an expensive sacrifice; so he hasn't much influence on the dwarf's result) that has quite an impact on how the game continues. Usual problem with AI-allies... Did You think about a weaker dwarfish reinforcement but under players control?
---
Dialogues are definitely not too much for my taste. The english version might need some polishing (think you said something like that yourself?). I'm no native speaker but maybe there is one who'd like to look through it to make the atmosphere... a little 'heavier' maybe? Or a little aristocratic here and there? Guess that might fit well. By now comments rather emphasize the 'technical' needs of playing through (what you need to know to win) than the story behind or the characters. The woses in scenario 2 for example, acting hostile, talk pretty weird. No idea, why they really attack - or why they finally offer their help. Kind of a test, a tree joke humans don't get? humm...

hope You'll find the comments useful ;)

perseo

Re: The septentrional tower 0.9.7 NOW! (for BfW 1.8)

Post by perseo » May 8th, 2011, 12:22 pm

Okay, Now the woses and the infantry can recruit in the last scenario. Even without their help it's possible to win but It's difficult and I had to replay 3 times. With their help is easier. Cernuro's help specially. Hope you like it.

@Klein_Atuin: Look the credits :)
and getting hoarse."

perseo

Re: The septentrional tower 0.9.8 NOW! (for BfW 1.8)

Post by perseo » May 11th, 2011, 7:44 pm

Hi guys! I've hand-written the code of the trackplacer and the new version: 0.9.8 have maps. In fact there's a problem with 2º scenario's map but I'll fix it.
Coming soon: Epilogue and 2 branches: In scenario 3 for windows players who the game crash when they're playing it and other branch in scenario 8.
and getting hoarse."

arek72

Septentrional Tower crash

Post by arek72 » May 31st, 2011, 1:21 am

Hi,

after defeatiing the "big tree Camuros" in scenario 2 Wesnoth crashes!
Any ideas..?

Later
A
There is no spoon...

OS X 10.6.8
Wesnoth 1.10.5

Pentarctagon
Forum Administrator

Post by Pentarctagon » May 31st, 2011, 1:27 am

Moved into the correct thread. Technical Support is for mainline problems only.

Also, you should include more information in your report. Just saying 'it crashes' does very little in actually helping to locate the problem.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code

perseo

Post by perseo » June 2nd, 2011, 12:54 pm

Are you playing on windows? If is that in windows scenario 3 crashes i don't know why. I'm doing other completily differnte third scenario to see if it can work. But I've tons of exams know and I can't spend my time here. Let's wait until i finish school and I'll work on it.
and getting hoarse."

arek72

Post by arek72 » June 23rd, 2011, 7:13 pm

I´m playing on mac os and i cannot give more infos about the crash because wesnoth "just quits" without any error message.

Good luck with you exams!

A
There is no spoon...

OS X 10.6.8
Wesnoth 1.10.5

perseo

Re: The septentrional tower 0.9.9 NOW! (for BfW 1.8)

Post by perseo » July 23rd, 2011, 2:40 pm

So here I am again. Since I don't know how to solve the problem in windows with the crash in the third scenario I have found other solution: make another scenario and hope it wont crash wesnoth. So now when you kill cernuros in the second scenario he would ask you if you are playing with windows in that case you have a choice that let you choose a scenario called vindous lands. If you are playing with linux you can choose between the two possible scenarios.
Other news: Now I'm working on a fork in the 8 (maybe is the 9 I don't remember well) scenario. Actually there's a choice, you can go through the mountain or you can go out of it but I want to do two well separate scenarios for make it clear.

¡Salud! Perseo

Please feedback the problems with the third scenario if you're playing with windows.
and getting hoarse."