I Dream (Randomized endless campaign)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Brilliand

I Dream (Randomized endless campaign)

Post by Brilliand »

I Dream version 0.4 has been uploaded to the 1.9 add-on server. It's highly random, with constant random events. Although it's entirely playable (in theory - it hasn't been tested nearly as well as The Militia and Merry Christmas were), I consider it far from finished due to a lack of variety - some of the "random events" can get rather repetitive, and there are still no real novelties after the first scenario.
You are a Dark Adept: you dimmerse yourself in the dark arts...potentially with great rewards....
-JW's personality quiz
StDrake

Re: I Dream (Randomized endless campaign)

Post by StDrake »

At first I was..

..and then I LoL'd!

and then again I was..

WTF? Yeah I know this was probably intended so just letting you know that goal was achieved. The ammount of randomness is absolutely berserk! And it's quite beautiful, but needs some sort of manual what (not) to expect. Especially in terms of when do we get a keep noy a castle when rolling over canvas (made me go nuts in Merry Christmas as well) Main problem I'd name is the ammount of starting gold vs map size and rather rare defensive terrain.
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Brilliand

Post by Brilliand »

StDrake wrote:WTF? Yeah I know this was probably intended so just letting you know that goal was achieved. The ammount of randomness is absolutely berserk! And it's quite beautiful, but needs some sort of manual what (not) to expect. Especially in terms of when do we get a keep noy a castle when rolling over canvas (made me go nuts in Merry Christmas as well) Main problem I'd name is the ammount of starting gold vs map size and rather rare defensive terrain.
Your request for a manual is noted; I'll get one put together. To answer your specific question, when creating castle with your leader, each tile has a 5% chance to become a keep instead of a castle (this applies to both I Dream and Merry Christmas, and it's the same as the chance of getting a village when making terrains that can have villages).

I've uploaded a new version of I Dream, with much more going on, including varying objectives. If you're looking to find all of the heroes, there are three heroes, one of which has seven forms. The greater proliferation of canvas might solve the defensive-terrain problem, and the maps are a bit smaller. There is now a multiplayer mode, although I'm not sure how valuable it is, since it amounts to letting another human play the enemy side.
You are a Dark Adept: you dimmerse yourself in the dark arts...potentially with great rewards....
-JW's personality quiz
Tet

Post by Tet »

It is not working. I downloaded from the server using firefox and did the copying in the addon folder and unpacking by hand. I used 1.9.2 (the structure in 1.9.3 seems to be diffrerent.)

Events create not supported error messages. Nice idea.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
Brilliand

Post by Brilliand »

Tet wrote:It is not working. I downloaded from the server using firefox and did the copying in the addon folder and unpacking by hand. I used 1.9.2 (the structure in 1.9.3 seems to be diffrerent.)

Events create not supported error messages. Nice idea.
Hmm... compatibility problems between minor versions within a development version. I suppose that's not surprising.

Okay... I am not going to download 1.9.2, but tell me what the error message is (if it's reasonably descriptive) and I'll see what I can do.

If the error you're getting is about "[generator]" then that's a known problem that doesn't seem to actually break anything.
-JW's personality quiz
Brilliand

Post by Brilliand »

I've uploaded a new version of I Dream (0.85). I've added a Spoilers menu instead of a help menu; the Spoilers menu will let you examine most of the campaign's mechanics, but I called it Spoilers instead of Help because this isn't the sort of campaign where you go in with a set of ground rules - all you necessarily need to know is what's in the Objectives screen. As a side effect, the Spoilers menu makes debugging rather easier, since it includes options to manually trigger some of the rarer random events...

In addition to the Spoilers menu, this update includes a few bug fixes for Silas's Cannon Mage form; apparently he was generating a lot of Lua errors in that form.
-JW's personality quiz
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

You've left some wml syntax leaky, I get an unclosed statement error from I Dream..when going into multiplayer? wth?
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Brilliand

Post by Brilliand »

StDrake wrote:You've left some wml syntax leaky, I get an unclosed statement error from I Dream..when going into multiplayer? wth?
Looks like I failed to account for multiplayer on something that differed between easy and hard mode (the "spoiler" text about the Dreamer ability). I've fixed this, and increased the version number to 0.86 accordingly.
-JW's personality quiz
ipora

Post by ipora »

Man, this is amazing, I loved this campaing, couldn't get far, I just downloaded and started playing.

Wow, I really hope this work goes further, congrtulations, greate idea!!!
alexanderthegre

Post by alexanderthegre »

thread necromancy... this thread is over a year old...
Attachments
ancient-lich-magic-3.png
ancient-lich-magic-3.png (7.63 KiB) Viewed 3740 times