Anya of Willshire

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Brilliand

Anya of Willshire

Post by Brilliand »

Anya of Willshire version 0.2 has been uploaded to the add-on server. It currently has 12 scenarios (including talk scenarios), though only 7 scenarios in any one branch. We still have quite a ways to go before we consider it finished.
You are a Dark Adept: you dimmerse yourself in the dark arts...potentially with great rewards....
-JW's personality quiz
bigkahuna

Re: Anya of Willshire

Post by bigkahuna »

Brilliand wrote:Anya of Willshire version 0.2 has been uploaded to the add-on server.
It isn't on the 1.9 server. It would be nice to stipulate which version of BfW it is for.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Brilliand

Post by Brilliand »

Right, it's for 1.8. I had forgotten that the non-stable version would have an add-on server. Is the non-stable version popular enough that it's worth downloading it and testing/uploading campaigns through it?
You are a Dark Adept: you dimmerse yourself in the dark arts...potentially with great rewards....
-JW's personality quiz
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Tried what is and here are my notes:

The Add-ons server says Desert Shyde is the author.

This did not feel like a Wesnoth campaign, it felt like a choose-your-own-adventure book (not an interesting one either IMO). I was unimpressed by the 'real orcish raid' consisting of one level 1 orc (easy to block his recruit, none of my people died). You essentially could not lose the training scenarios. So all there was, was some talking between people I don't really know/care much about and a few decisions that were irrelevant due to the fact that the campaign is incomplete. I know this is not intended to be final in any way but I'd still expect more of a first release.

On a side note, I would suggest not giving the player too many choices. If you keep giving them choices then the rate of scenarios you must create vs the the number of scenarios a person will get in a single play-through will become exponential.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

Brilliand wrote:Right, it's for 1.8. I had forgotten that the non-stable version would have an add-on server. Is the non-stable version popular enough that it's worth downloading it and testing/uploading campaigns through it?
not as popular as 1.8 but it's a good thing for testing, plus if your addon works on 1.9 then you're prepared for the time when a new stable version comes out
I find it more practical to develop for 1.9 and then if 1.8 still doesn't feel like dying i'll just do some simplifications for backward compatibility
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Brilliand

Post by Brilliand »

Velensk wrote:The Add-ons server says Desert Shyde is the author.
Aye, and she is, mostly. I do the uploading and the difficult coding.
-JW's personality quiz
Desert_Shyde

Post by Desert_Shyde »

Velensk wrote:This did not feel like a Wesnoth campaign, it felt like a choose-your-own-adventure book (not an interesting one either IMO). I was unimpressed by the 'real orcish raid' consisting of one level 1 orc (easy to block his recruit, none of my people died). You essentially could not lose the training scenarios. So all there was, was some talking between people I don't really know/care much about and a few decisions that were irrelevant due to the fact that the campaign is incomplete. I know this is not intended to be final in any way but I'd still expect more of a first release.

On a side note, I would suggest not giving the player too many choices. If you keep giving them choices then the rate of scenarios you must create vs the the number of scenarios a person will get in a single play-through will become exponential.
I intended it to be like a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure Book.

As to the too-easy raid, I will make the orc's keep larger, give him more money, and make him go first.
The Militia
Merry Christmas
Journey to the North Pole
Tet

Post by Tet »

The idea has some potential, but execution moight be everything. At least you post allready a bunch of scenarios. Good luck for your project.

EDIT:
I choose the red mage branch and it stopped after the farming scenario and 2 academy trainings. Maybe a bug? There will be a lot of work.

1st szenario should be more exciting. Is there a point in collecting experience?

Trainning Szenarios could be more exciting. Maybe repeat them until you win or give a grade according when you pass out. Is there a benefit of winning them? It is easy to win by staying passive.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
Desert_Shyde

Post by Desert_Shyde »

The red and white mage branches weren't ready for version 0.2. Version 0.4 is almost ready, and the red mage branch is quite unique.

There isn't a point in Anya or Elliot getting experience in the first scenario, which is meant to be an introduction to Anya's family, but I plan for the other family members to show up later, and hopefully experience gained in the first scenario will be counted.

There is a benefit to gaining experience in the second training scenario (the one you can gain experience in) if you go with Miranda. The first training scenario is meant to show that they are having practices at the academy, not just lunch.

Thank you for the comments.
The Militia
Merry Christmas
Brilliand

Post by Brilliand »

Version 0.4 is up.
-JW's personality quiz
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

Would you put it on the 1.9 addon server as well?
perseo

Post by perseo »

I've began to play the campaign, I agree with the ones to say that is very easy to block the orcish leader recruitment when he goes out for capture the village. Another thing: I've looked the units folder and I like a lot the sailors units.
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
Brilliand

Post by Brilliand »

perseo wrote:I've began to play the campaign, I agree with the ones to say that is very easy to block the orcish leader recruitment when he goes out for capture the village. Another thing: I've looked the units folder and I like a lot the sailors units.
As I recall, the sailors are straight copies (with a few naming changes) from Archaic Era's South-Seas faction.
-JW's personality quiz
Desert_Shyde

Post by Desert_Shyde »

lu_zero wrote:Would you put it on the 1.9 addon server as well?
I will, but I thought I should get more done on it before I do.
The Militia
Merry Christmas
SneakDog

Post by SneakDog »

Spoiler: