Merry Christmas

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Desert_Shyde

Merry Christmas

Post by Desert_Shyde »

As our Christmas gift to you, my family has made a festive Christmas-themed mini-campaign. Brilliand should get around to putting it up today. If not today, then tomorrow. I hope you enjoy it.

Report any bugs here.
Some of the graphics are mediocre. We would like it if someone tweaked them to be higher quality.
The Militia
Merry Christmas
Journey to the North Pole
Brilliand

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by Brilliand »

I had a last-minute copyright problem involving some Creative Commons music - I managed to hunt around and find some similar public domain music, but in case you'd like to play it with the original music, here's the files that we were using:

Oh Little Town of Bethlehem
Up on the Housetop
Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy
We Three Kings of Orient Are
Joy to the World

Unfortunately they're too large to attach to this post.
You are a Dark Adept: you dimmerse yourself in the dark arts...potentially with great rewards....
-JW's personality quiz
Brilliand

Post by Brilliand »

This campaign has been uploaded to the 1.9 add-ons server, with some very minor improvements (snowy keeps and ending music).
You are a Dark Adept: you dimmerse yourself in the dark arts...potentially with great rewards....
-JW's personality quiz
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

I skimmed over the campaign (I was bored at the time and in a hurry) and it was cute ^_^ I liked all the custom abilities and such, and have a few comments.

1. What is up with the clean canvas ability? It just makes harvesters not able to walk where they used to walk, and it makes the terrain look weird. At first I was all "woooah 99% defence" until it went away as soon as a unit moved on the terrain. I just don't see the point.

2. I automatically won the first real scenario by having a shaman-type elf give a present to the leader. Bug, or intended?
3. The third scenario is too hard. First, you have to get 12 pine trees (and harvesters are very slow compared to the size of the map). You get a smidgen of gold, and the other player gets a bunch of level two units. And THEN you have to level up ALL of the pine trees. Didn't seem fair so I :debug ed (Like I said i was in a hurry).

4. The fourth scenario was just too much. Either move all the trees and the leader onto the ice or kill the enemy leader, who is impossible to get past unless you kill him. Hmmm... When I used a gift on him again, nothing happened at all. No dialogue or anything.

5. The elfs get waaaay too good of a defence, but I guess that is necessary with such few units.
6. I think the gift attack has 100% chance of hitting... It hit every time I tried it, at least. Maybe I just got lucky.

But yeah - cute scenario and dialogue, fun mechanics and such. I liked some of the frankies and portraits, too. Just too bad it couldn't be released on Christmas, eh?
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

Just going to answer your first question, but check it, if you move your leader to the clean canvas hex, it becomes a castle hex. In theory, you could recruit across the map if you wasted a few turns moving your leader with one harvester across it.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
Desert_Shyde

Post by Desert_Shyde »

bigkahuna wrote:I skimmed over the campaign (I was bored at the time and in a hurry) and it was cute ^_^ I liked all the custom abilities and such, and have a few comments.

1. What is up with the clean canvas ability? It just makes harvesters not able to walk where they used to walk, and it makes the terrain look weird. At first I was all "woooah 99% defence" until it went away as soon as a unit moved on the terrain. I just don't see the point.

2. I automatically won the first real scenario by having a shaman-type elf give a present to the leader. Bug, or intended?
3. The third scenario is too hard. First, you have to get 12 pine trees (and harvesters are very slow compared to the size of the map). You get a smidgen of gold, and the other player gets a bunch of level two units. And THEN you have to level up ALL of the pine trees. Didn't seem fair so I :debug ed (Like I said i was in a hurry).

4. The fourth scenario was just too much. Either move all the trees and the leader onto the ice or kill the enemy leader, who is impossible to get past unless you kill him. Hmmm... When I used a gift on him again, nothing happened at all. No dialogue or anything.

5. The elfs get waaaay too good of a defence, but I guess that is necessary with such few units.
6. I think the gift attack has 100% chance of hitting... It hit every time I tried it, at least. Maybe I just got lucky.

But yeah - cute scenario and dialogue, fun mechanics and such. I liked some of the frankies and portraits, too. Just too bad it couldn't be released on Christmas, eh?
1. As PeterPorty mentioned, canvas cleaner can be used strategically to make keeps. It is also adviseable to move units onto canvass that will change it to snow and not forest, which gives you a defense advantage.

2. Intended. The enemy in that scenario will decide to "fall back and regroup" once he is attacked, allowing the Christmas elfs to move on. Then you fight the same elf in the fourth scenario, though he is better-prepared.

3. For gold, my younger brother likes using the canvass to collect villages, which have a low chance of appearing. Also, in that scenario we usually end up with a small horde of pine trees. Have you tried giving the Christmas elfs amlas? The harvesters get faster.

6. The gift does have a 100% chance of hitting. If you were given a present, would you try to dodge?

It was released the week of Christmas, but in the 1.8 version of Wesnoth.
I'm glad you liked it.
The Militia
Merry Christmas
Brilliand

Post by Brilliand »

WRT the third scenario: You have a terrain advantage and overpowered Givers on your side - although this means that you need to keep gold on hand, so that the Gift ability will still work. Unfortunately the pine tree patches are almost indistinguishable from other forest patches, but with some hunting around, you can use your Harvesters to amass a horde of pine trees in a fairly short amount of time, which should level up quite quickly against level 2 enemies trapped by the Gift ability.

The Christmas elves have high defense for good reason - frozen terrain is their preferred habitat. Ordinary elves trying to fight Christmas elves in snow is like orcs trying to fight regular elves in forest.
-JW's personality quiz
HaJo
Inactive Developer

Post by HaJo »

PeterPorty wrote:if you move your leader to the clean canvas hex, it becomes a castle hex.
That stopped working after my leader reached level 2. Is this intentional ?

While playing this addon in BfW 1.9.9, the logfile stderr.txt fills up with many errormessages:
20110911 17:37:51 error config: Illegal tile in map: (Ycan) 'Ycan'
20110911 17:37:51 error config: map could not be loaded: Illegal tile in map: (Ycan) 'Ycan'
The map cannot be loaded.

20110911 17:38:04 error config: Skipping over a utf8 BOM
20110911 17:38:05 warning unit: Unknown attribute 'paint_canvas' discarded.
20110911 17:38:05 warning unit: Unknown attribute 'paint_canvas' discarded.
20110911 17:38:11 error display: Tile at -999,-999 isn't on the map, can't scroll to the tile.
20110911 17:38:11 error display: Tile at -999,-999 isn't on the map, can't scroll to the tile.
20110911 17:38:12 error display: could not open image 'terrain/.png'

20110911 17:45:04 error engine: failed to auto-store $unit at (-999,-999)
20110911 17:45:04 error engine: failed to auto-store $unit at (-999,-999)
20110911 17:47:34 error engine: failed to auto-store $unit at (-999,-999)
20110911 17:47:34 error engine: failed to auto-store $unit at (-999,-999)
20110911 17:48:16 warning unit: Unknown attribute 'paint_canvas' discarded.
20110911 17:48:16 warning unit: Unknown attribute 'paint_canvas' discarded.
Also, I got a crash in the first scenario after about 19 turns.
No remarkable actions before, nothing in the logfile (just messages as above),
and it has not happened again yet after reloading the last savegame.
-HaJo
Desert_Shyde

Post by Desert_Shyde »

Merry Christmas has been uploaded to the 1.11 server.
The Militia
Merry Christmas
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

Hi, sorry but I can't see anything on the 1.11 add-on server.
Brilliand

Post by Brilliand »

ydcl wrote:Hi, sorry but I can't see anything on the 1.11 add-on server.
Hmm, I'm seeing it fine. You are looking for "Merry Christmas", right?
-JW's personality quiz
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

My bad sorrty:? Like an idiot, I was just looking at the end of the add-ons ! :roll: I swear next time I'm going to be more careful !
Sneezy

Post by Sneezy »

Hi-- I have both BfW 1.10.0 and BfW 1.11.2 on a PC running win2k SP4.
I downloaded Merry_Christmas ver 1.1.2 using BfW 1.11.2 and found that the CREATE_CANVAS ability didn't do anything.

I downloaded Merry_Christmas ver 1.1.1 using BfW 1.10.0 and CREATE_CANVAS worked just fine: I played far enough to get my 12 Christmas Trees. But I didn't move fast enough, and time was too short at the start of the follow-on scenario.

I've enjoyed this little holiday puzzle; thanks for creating it.
But there may be some sort of problem when using 1.11.2.
--sneezy
Desert_Shyde

Post by Desert_Shyde »

I tested it using 1.11.2. It all worked fine except for the third scenario, where the harvesters started throwing out double rows of canvas every time they moved. It didn't affect gameplay by much, the next scenario was normal, and I was able to complete the campaign on time. But I still don't know why that went buggy. Brilliand, does the canvas ability need updated?
The Militia
Merry Christmas
nathanson1947

Post by nathanson1947 »

I eventually managed to complete the third scenario, but it was on turn 53. I then found myself on the fourth scenario with only seven turns to complete it, which is an impossible task. Why does the timer not go back to zero when you complete a scenario?