Inky's Quest - The Cuttlefish Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Telchin

Re: Inky's Quest - The Cuttlefish Campaign

Post by Telchin » June 19th, 2018, 4:39 pm

Good news everyone! :eng: Version 1.5.1 released. Thanks to tamanegi's help I've updated Czech and Japanese translation. Tell me if there are any errors in them.
Bad news: I still haven't figured where the problem with units.wesnoth.org is.

Telchin

Post by Telchin » June 28th, 2018, 5:08 pm

Sorry fo the double post, but I have few anouncements. Not only Inky's Quest reached 200 downloades on the 1.14 server (not really an achievement given that some add-ons already have thounsands downloads there), but it seems that units.wesnoth.org shows more units from the capaign than just the anglerfish. It still doesn't show them all - only those begining with A-F, so presumably there is some problem at Gargantuan Clam. If somebody knows more, your help is welcome. However, the main reason for this post is that I'm going on a vacation in Greece tomorrow, so while I'm always happy when people give some feedback I presumably won't be able to react to it in the next cca two weeks.

Konrad2
Forum Regular

Post by Konrad2 » November 22nd, 2018, 9:41 pm

'A Water Struggle'
When a Trench Tentacle kills a merfolk or naga, the tentacle 'speaks' and comments that the killed being is tasty. I'd assume that only the Cuttlefishs and the Deep Sea Elder are supposed to do this.
I am a Ghost: I drain the life energy from other people to survive and am hated/feared by regular people. Non-regular people don't like me either though.

Telchin

Post by Telchin » December 5th, 2018, 7:14 pm

'A Water Struggle'
When a Trench Tentacle kills a merfolk or naga, the tentacle 'speaks' and comments that the killed being is tasty. I'd assume that only the Cuttlefishs and the Deep Sea Elder are supposed to do this.
I'm sorry for not answering earlier, but I don't check this thread as often as I once did (as evidenced by my lack of posts since June) since I consider this campaign "complete" and thus don't plan any additions (other than re-updateing it when a new stable version of BfW comes out).
Now for your question - killing enemies in that scenario gives player gold to give the player some reward for not just waiting until one the two enemy sides kills the other. I wanted the player to notice that (you can't recruit in this scenario and have only loyal units, so you don't have to pay attention to your amount of gold), hence the line explaining that the gold represents your units gaining sustenance from the enemy flesh. Therefore I wanted the line to be said regardless what your unit kills the enemy. Maybe I could change it so that if the triggering unit is a tentacle, the line would be said by Master Sea Head (as in the story they are his tentacles)? It also ocurred to me that it might be grating that the line is repetead with each slain enemy (maybe it could be one time only - the gold giving would remain repeatable). Any thoughts?

On a note unrelated to Konrad2's question: I've noticed that Inky's Quest reached over 1000 downloads. I haven't posted here in a long time (and I know that many add-ons have much more downloads), but it still means a lot to me that people are interested in this quirky creation of mine. In real life I'm a civil servant and my job is to write decisions about fines for breaking a law. As you can probably guess, those don't generate much positive feedback from their recipients, so I'm happy that another my creation can bring people joy.

Konrad2
Forum Regular

Post by Konrad2 » December 5th, 2018, 7:40 pm

Telchin wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 7:14 pm
Now for your question - killing enemies in that scenario gives player gold to give the player some reward for not just waiting until one the two enemy sides kills the other. I wanted the player to notice that (you can't recruit in this scenario and have only loyal units, so you don't have to pay attention to your amount of gold), hence the line explaining that the gold represents your units gaining sustenance from the enemy flesh. Therefore I wanted the line to be said regardless what your unit kills the enemy. Maybe I could change it so that if the triggering unit is a tentacle, the line would be said by Master Sea Head (as in the story they are his tentacles)? It also ocurred to me that it might be grating that the line is repetead with each slain enemy (maybe it could be one time only - the gold giving would remain repeatable). Any thoughts?
Tbh, I didn't noticed that I was given gold per kill.
I'd suggest changing it to the Deep Sea Elder encouraging me on my first kill, telling me that those corpses will provide sustenance for you and your brethen, allowing you sustain more of your creatures.
I am a Ghost: I drain the life energy from other people to survive and am hated/feared by regular people. Non-regular people don't like me either though.

Telchin

Post by Telchin » December 5th, 2018, 8:15 pm

Tbh, I didn't noticed that I was given gold per kill.
I'd suggest changing it to the Deep Sea Elder encouraging me on my first kill, telling me that those corpses will provide sustenance for you and your brethen, allowing you sustain more of your creatures.
That's another option. Maybe a combination of those ideas is possible - first a hint by Master Sea Head, then a line by the triggering unit - but only if it's a cuttlefish (and not after repeated kills). I'll think about it it, but it might take severl days before I upload the result.

Telchin

Post by Telchin » December 6th, 2018, 6:57 pm

I wasn't as slow as I anticipated and thus published version 1.5.2 on the server! The messages after killing each enemy were replaced with one-time message from Master Sea Head as suggested by Konrad2. (This also means that the existing translations are bit outdated) I've kept the original messages out of nostalgia, but they'll happen one-time only and only if the killing unit is a cuttlefish. I've also found (and hopefully fixed) a typo in Giant Clam's movement animation that I didn't notice earlier because the animation moves too quickly. Hopefully, I didn't break anything that was working (my WML skills are rusty after months of disuse).
What I haven't "fixed" is that there are some more events where a tentacle can speak, such as the easter egg after reaching the center of the hexagonal island in "A water Struggle". Giving player instructions on what unit to use to find such hidden surprises would ruin the whole point of having them and I didn't want to "punish" the player for finding them with a "wrong" unit. In the case of the hexagonal island in particular you're more likely to reach it with a cuttlefish anyway (as they're faster than tentacles).