Inky's Quest - The Cuttlefish Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: Inky's Quest - The Cuttlefish Campaign

Post by Atreides »

Just started this. Neat so far. Found 3 typos. 1) Shark description (S2) has strenght 2) Same scen. has a dialogue on death of Megashark missing a "the" before "death" 3) Next scen has similar missing "the" before "work"

Due to the nature of the high def. and the huge attack # of the cuttlefish combat is rather slow with endless misses. Not a flaw, just the way things work. I imagine I'll turn on accel. speed for this...

I saw this avail. for 1.12 but never downloaded it until it came out for 1.14. Hehe. It is a refreshing change to splash about in the sea... ;) As an earlier poster remarked I guess I too like playing monsters (Undead and now Drakes are faves)

In real life Cuttlefish are reputed to be highly intelligent so the premise is not actually unrealistic at all.
egallager

Post by egallager »

Atreides wrote: December 11th, 2020, 1:00 am Just started this. Neat so far. Found 3 typos. 1) Shark description (S2) has strenght 2) Same scen. has a dialogue on death of Megashark missing a "the" before "death" 3) Next scen has similar missing "the" before "work"

Due to the nature of the high def. and the huge attack # of the cuttlefish combat is rather slow with endless misses. Not a flaw, just the way things work. I imagine I'll turn on accel. speed for this...
Reminder that you can hold down Shift during gameplay to temporarily turn on accelerated mode if you only want it on some of the time
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I liked that campaign. It's not one in my top 3 or top 5 of all times, but I liked Inky,
and the idea of cuddlefish. I like cuddlefish too. Ok they are spelled cuttlefish but
you get the idea.

As for animations: I usually try to minimize all delays as much as possible without
making it too unreasonable or skipping too much. I guess most who played a lot
of campaigns end up also playing faster than the assumed "default" speed.

I liked the high attack rate though; swarm attacks are a lot of fun. Laser PEW PEW
PEW damage!

> In real life Cuttlefish are reputed to be highly intelligent so the premise is not
> actually unrealistic at all.

I would not want to cite reallife for fantasy-designed games though ... ;)

Inky is a good guy though.

I agree with your comment about monsters; it gives a new perspective. Perhaps
someone design some campaign about an ogre warlord who has to capture
humans for eating them lateron with his army of ogres. :D

I also liked unusual units such as these giant yetis doing so much damage; that
always is a shock when they beat down even veteran units quickly.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

@Atreides & shevegen - Thanks for liking my campaign. I write it almost everytime somebody posts here, but I mean it.
@Atreides - It's possible that there are more typos, particularly with articles such as "the" (because my native language doesn't have them). I might correct it later, but I'd like to wait until you (or somebody else) find more of them, so I donť plague the server with miniscule updates. I should note that I'm on a vacation from work for the rest of December and due to the pandemic I'll probably spend most of it at home, so I might have more time for updating this campaign than I have during the rest of the year - assuming somebody has a suggestion that I deem a worthwhile addition (and that i can reasonably code in WML, don't expect some huge departure from regular Wesnoth gameplay, other that what the campaign already does. I know some content makers can create truly crazy add-ons, but AFAIK it often requires knowledge of actual programming languages).
Due to the nature of the high def. and the huge attack # of the cuttlefish combat is rather slow with endless misses.
This is true, though the swarm attack is a big part of the original cuttlefish creature in the main game, so of course it features in this campaign. I provided some units with non-swarm attacks to alleviate this issue (tentacles and clams). You're right that it's accentuated by hight defense of many enemies, as you often fight aquatic creatures in water. In later scenarios you also fight land-dwelling creatures, which can lead to a game state where both armies stand on the coast, afraid to enter the oposite environment. Of course as you probably guessed the aim of this campaign was to provide somewhat different experience than the usual "elves vs. orcs" of the mainline campaings, so I guess this is the price for novelty.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Telchin wrote: December 14th, 2020, 1:18 pm @Atreides - It's possible that there are more typos, particularly with articles such as "the" (because my native language doesn't have them). I might correct it later, but I'd like to wait until you (or somebody else) find more of them, so I donť plague the server with miniscule updates.
Should I post them as I find them here? When there are enough you could incorporate them. Typos naturally are not as important as actual bugs but they do add to the appeal when the dialogue is correct. I have a sharp eye for them as it happens (i.e. my brain screams at me every time I see one, I can't ignore them hehehe) so I'm sure I'll spot any that I come across.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Should I post them as I find them here? When there are enough you could incorporate them.
Sure you can! :) Maybe wait until you find more of them (or finish the campaign) so you don't have to double post. If you find any actual bugs you can post them here too. I'll do my best to fix them. I should note that correcting typos might cause issues with existing translations (as the translation won't recognize the corrected string), but I suppose most people play this campaing in the default (English) language anyway.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

FTR, can I convince you to put me into the credits, on grounds of my extensive feedback? :P
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

FTR, can I convince you to put me into the credits, on grounds of my extensive feedback?
While I value all feedback on my campaign, I so far reserve the campaign's credits for more concrete contributions (e. g. artwork or translations.) I apologize if I break some add-on credits etiquete.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

That's okay, every author decides that for themselves. ^^
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Found 3 text errors.
Spoiler:
Phew, I finally got past that Inky goes fishing on the third try :(
Spoiler:
Easy level could be made MUCH easier. This is insanely hard. Give us 1,000 gold and 150 hp loyals please for easy. Oh and give Inky 500 hps.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

I finally got to fixing the typos mentioned by Atreides on this page. Released as version 1.5.7. No gameplay changes, so you don't have to update the campaign if you don't care abou typos, in fact if you play with one of the existing translations, changing the English line causes the string to not be translated.
Easy level could be made MUCH easier. This is insanely hard. Give us 1,000 gold and 150 hp loyals please for easy. Oh and give Inky 500 hps.
Not sure if serious or sarcasm. I intented this campiagn to be easier than most mainline campaigns and I agree that "Inky Goes Fishing" can be an early stumbling block, but these proposals seem bit much... :lol:
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Telchin wrote: March 8th, 2021, 1:37 pm I finally got to fixing the typos mentioned by Atreides on this page. Released as version 1.5.7. No gameplay changes, so you don't have to update the campaign if you don't care abou typos, in fact if you play with one of the existing translations, changing the English line causes the string to not be translated.
Not sure if serious or sarcasm. I intented this campiagn to be easier than most mainline campaigns and I agree that "Inky Goes Fishing" can be an early stumbling block, but these proposals seem bit much... :lol:
Well neither really. I'm just a funny guy. :-) And I was a bit irritated at having to start over 3 times on the easy level. IMHO easy should be something that any fool (like me) can win no matter how badly they play on the first attempt. <grin> Maybe add a Beginner level that's so easy you can't lose. I mean that's essentially what I'm saying, all Wesnoth campaigns need a Beginners level that is impossible to lose unless you try to. I dunno, am I the only one who HATES to restart a game? Maybe I'm the only who realizes that is the same as losing. Maybe I'm a sore loser. Hehehe.

The way I learned to play wargames was in a game called Squad Leader by Avalon Hill in the 70's. (Yes I'm rather old) The method it used was brilliant. Called Programmed Instruction it started out with a simple set of rules and added more as each scenario was played. So to me (at least) I expect a game to ramp up in difficulty.

Also I learned to play computer games with the likes of Sid Meier's Civilization. It has 5 levels the easiest of which is so easy that it literally (and yes I mean it in the old sense) gives the player huge advantages over the computer!
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

Another campaign finished by me, but one annoying thing is why undo disabled in some late scenarios becoz I think changes flat to water by moving unit. Lastly, here's my stats:
Spoiler:
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

@Major_Swampy Congratulations!
one annoying thing is why undo disabled in some late scenarios becoz I think changes flat to water by moving unit
Are you referring to the fact, that you can't undo unit movement when it reveals fog/shroud? (English isn't my native language either.) I believe that is a feature of the game (though the choice to have levels with fog/shroud/changing terrain is mine). I should note (and have done repeatedly in this thread) that I tend to just abuse the "load last turn" function when thing don't go my way in a campaing (including my own).
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

Are you referring to the fact, that you can't undo unit movement when it reveals fog/shroud?
Yes, that's what I mean... But anyway, thx for your campaign which been made about 11 years ago. :)
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)